Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
My dad (60) and my little brother (16) are coming in march to visit me. Since I live in the Inaka of Hiroshima, I want to ask you goons what would be a good itinerary for 8 days. They'll be flying into Nagoya and I'll be there to meet them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Ned posted:

Shin-shin seems to be the most popular these days as far as having a line in front of it. There is another Yatai in front of golds gym that suddenly started having a big line in front of it a few months ago. A lot of people like Ichiran ramen but I have never eaten there - to be honest I am not much of a ramen person.

Shin-Shin is worth the wait. Haven't had tonkotsu ramen that good ever in my life.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
If you head down to Itsukushima/Miyajima, be sure to climb up Mt. Misen. If you're lazy, take the cable car up (and down) and enjoy the view. Also, be prepared to eat a lot. The shopping arcade there is full of good food, including oysters. If you're not picky about eating oysters, you're gonna love the Hiroshima oysters.

Okonomimura is a must visit place, that place defines mom'n'pop -shops. They offer, Okonomiyaki, what else?

The Shukkeien Gardens are also a nice place to visit. Cute little plants and the largest Carps I've ever seen.

A little known place in the prefecture is Okunoshima a.k.a. the Rabbit Island. A former poison gas R&D site, now populated by hundreds of cute rabbits.

If you want to hang with a goon, we can work something out.

Also, Sanfrecce games are da bomb if you like soccer.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm out of town starting next week and won't be back until the 5th of april :(

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGrHt3ZbQBs

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm in Kyoto with my parents (60+) who are showing signs of travel fatigue. We're taking it slow this time, so some light sightseeing is in order. We've got the whole day reserved for tomorrow, but we're not gonna be early wakers.

Please post your recommended itinerary for 1 day. No need to do shopping, since most of that will be done in Nagoya where they fly out from.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 1, 2016

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Why are Japanese people clumping the Nordic countries into one?

This happens to me constantly: I tell them I'm from Finland, get all the pleasantries and "ooh, I know this and that..". Then 2 minutes later I get asked, "So, I hear that in Norway/Sweden/Denmark..".

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Wonton posted:

Where in japan should you start considering renting a car? Anytime you go into the mountains and away from the main Shinkansen lines. Even Kyushuu is very much car dependent. However some towns do have crazy campaigns where you can hire a taxi driver at some ridiculous price for half a day or X hours.

Car rental is almost necessary in Okinawa. While there are buses, those take a lot of time as they cover all the side paths. When I visited Okinawa, I opted not to rent a car. This led me to spend most of my time in the buses when traveling to the north of the main island.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Tohoku-Hokuriku -region:

Rail it up or get a rental car? Also, any good car rental companies?

I have no specific reason to visit that area, but I want to get the most out of my trip. Aim is to fill in missing prefectures in my quest to complete the 47.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Sounds good. Will have to see if spot rentals are an option.

Are gas prices high in Japan nowadays? I heard that electricity bills are going through the roof.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Just a gentle reminder that don't be an rear end in a top hat in Japan. Or anywhere.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/1169g7t/livestreamer_in_japan_gets_called_out_for_playing/

Link related.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
If all else fails, order from Amazon Japan to your nearest convenience store.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Ryogoku is your best bet. That's where all the sumo stuff is, so chanko restaurants are a-plenty.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

giogadi posted:

It’s a terrible idea on paper - we have never lived in Japan, I only speak a little Japanese, our kid would get “Jouzu!”-ed her whole life, we’ve never lived in a place with snow - but man it is still sooooo tempting.

Everybody starts somewhere. Depending on how you play your cards, your Japanese will improve drastically in the first year. You'll manage with the snow.

Everybody gets Jouzu'd at some point, so don't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
If you end up going to a Pachinko hall, please wear ear protection. or noise-canceling headphones.