Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I had applied for a semester abroad through agreements with my university. Applied to 6 universities across the world, and 5 rejected me. The only university that accepted my application and asked me if I wanted to study there for a semester? University of Akita, Japan.
Now I know nothing about Japanese culture, customs, language or anything like that except for the little of anime / manga I've watched.
What should I keep in mind? What should I learn? What should I do before going? I've still seven months before I have to go, but I've already been recommended to start learning a little Japanese so that I won't be 'that' person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Tequila Sunrise posted:

is it Akita International University or Akita University?

Akita International, of course.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Hey. I'm going to be spending a week in Tokyo from the 17th to the 24th of august, meaning that I'll have quite some time to at least see the most touristy things Tokyo can offer. I've already taken a look at tripadvisor as well as some recommendations from friends, but do you goons have any personal recommendations as to what I should do?

Edit: I like partying, drinking, meeting people and I've a hard-on for anything urbanism or city planning related as that is my field of study.

Also, on the 24th I'm leaving from Tokyo to Akita and apparently the best way for me to do so is to take the Akita Shinkansen train from Tokyo Station. I am a little unsure as to whether or not to buy one of the train passes because the japan railways site that I can use to order tickets keep giving me these red letter warnings that it will be much more cheaper for me if I buy one of those train passes. Should I? I'm thinking it might be a little smart to do so as I'll be attending university in Akita for about 5 months, and apparently cities surrounding Akita offers some pretty cool sightseeing stuff and they're easily accessible by train.

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 10, 2016

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Okay so far I'm having a pretty good time studying here at Akita International University but gently caress I am not liking Japanese food at all except for the curry :psyduck:

Edit: and this is coming from a Norwegian with the blandest sort of food imaginable as background

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So if all goes according to plan, I'm going to be staying in Japan for 1.5 years where one year is studying at university here while the remaining half year will be an internship in my country's embassy in Tokyo. Though the internship still isn't 100% secure, I have all the credentials and academic requirements to be accepted into it and all people of my country that has applied to it from this university I'm attending has been approved, so I'm pretty sure I'll get the internship. Though it is a long time until I will have to search for an apartment in Tokyo, I've heard several things that while Japan has become better (or at least outwardly better) on how they treat foreigners, I heard that racism is still a major issue in the housing market. Is that true, and if so, what are some of your experiences renting an apartment?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I'm heading to Sendai in two days. Any recommendations for things to see or do there? Gonna be in Sendai for 3 days before heading back to Akita again.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
God drat, I really do live in the most boring region of Japan, don't I? :psyduck:
At least Sendai will be interesting for me as someone with a major in urbanism and urban planning, I guess?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So, I'm still a student in Japan with a student residence card and I'm getting a visit from a friend in late May / early April. We only have a week and a half, and we were thinking of going Tokyo -> Nara -> Kyoto and then end in Osaka. As she isn't a student, she can apparently buy the Japanese rail pass to have unlimited access to regional trains but as a student in Japan with a Japanese residence cards, I apparently can't get one. Is there a discount for students, or any other passes I can get? Googling hasn't helped me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'll be traveling to Kyoto and Nara during golden week as that is when my friend is coming to Japan to visit me. I'll be traveling from Akita to Tokyo first of course, and I am wondering if it might be best to buy a ticket on the Shinkansen for my trip to Tokyo and our trip on the 1st of may to Kyoto. Is it possible to do so through a webpage? Internet is too slow for googling here but for some reason SA works just fine :shrug: