Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You can eat beef bone ramen in Tottori.

I liked the sand dunes, they're fun to walk around in and there's a beach just nearby if you want to go for a swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Magna Kaser posted:

im in sapporo now and hokkaido rules. i've had like 3 of the best things i've ever eaten while here.

Sapporo is like the world capital of having a good time

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is there any way to stop tabelog from redirecting you forcibly to the english version if you're browsing from outside of Japan?

Like I want to check out this restaurant: https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1317/A131702/13150448/ even if i click the nihongo button at the top it just goes back to the English version. It sucks because the English version usually doesn't have important information like what's on the menu and reviews and stuff, it's really annoying and makes the website pretty much nonfunctional. Forced localization is so annoying.

e: nevermind it seems to be working now that I logged in and ctrl+f5'ed the page

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 2, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nanigans posted:

How are Boeing 777s compared to 787s? I'm 5'8", maybe 5'9" and my wife is at most 5'2", so neither of us is huge. Is the main difference between a 777 and 787 an inch or two of leg room? I guess it doesn't really matter because only the very most expensive flights are on 787s.

I should've jumped on the JAL flights I saw a while ago. They're up from like $900+ to $2000+.

ANA's are around the $1200 range. Should I wait to see if the prices go down? Our trip isn't until October.

Where are you flying from? I usually get whatever the cheapest flight from Europe is and it's often a 787.

I'm usually happy to fly in one since 787's have better turbulence sensor and vertical gust suppression so the plane doesn't overcompensate for bumps meaning I'm not woken up by turbulence as much.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lid posted:

I'm going to Japan for most of February, I do not speak a word of Japanese.

What should I bring and have with me no matter what? What translate apps would be most useful? How much cash should be necessary for carrying?

Anything special in February specifically?

Learn a few words using an audiocourse or something, it's worth it just for being able to order beer and stuff.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sea is fun but skip busy days unless you can stand 2 or even 3 hour queues, i dunno how people do that. I went to Land once on an extremely samui (that is, 5 degrees or something similarly comfortable) weekday in january and we could just do repeat rides on most attractions except splash and space mountain and honey hunt

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nekodeev posted:

I know, it's just a confidence thing with me really, I think I could do it if I wasn't travelling solo.
drat for some reason those Aomori onsens are closed a bit during those first weeks of April.

Not useful to you specifically but I read somewhere recently (phoneposting so can't find easily) that renting a camp car is surprisingly cheap in Japan and there's a few companies that do that. I'm considering a camp car trip to Hokkaido next time I'm back there. Driving to the east coast of Hokkaido in a little house on wheels seems like a really cool trip.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Still tempted to schedule a trip for this April anyway, even though it’s late in the year. How feasible is it to procure things like train cards, lodging, etc. on site? I can speak and read a little so I’m sure I could buy some Suica cards if we need them, but I dunno if I could do something more complicated like renting a hotel or :barf:Airbnb:barf:.

Also, is it worth doing any particularly social things while I’m over there, and if so, is it better to stick with other foreigners/tourists? Or should I focus on sightseeing? I had considered walking around Nichoume but I get the sense it’s not very open to foreigners.

Before golden week? You can find stuff just using expedia or booking.com, the first time I went I didn't really plan much in advance, didn't speak Japanese and still managed to get everywhere. Lots of people do actually speak English too and renting an airbnb is easy enough in most cases. Just do it.

Disregarding costs you could theoretically get on a plane tomorrow, book a few nights anywhere and you'll be fine. Train cards are extremely easy to get. From what I gathered nichoume is perfectly open to foreigners, as are most places in Japan.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 8, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I’m not worried about getting places, that’ll be fine. Getting affairs in order will be the hard part, since I’m not expecting to mingle with the locals.

I get the sense that the local Japanese keep foreigners at an arm’s length, where the former are wary of the latter. Just based on chatter I’ve seen in these threads and heard from expats. I know it obviously differs from person to person, and Nichoume is an outlier anyway, but as someone who’s baseline of interaction is fuckin’ Boston, it’s a little weird to be in a homogenous society anyway. Eh, we’ll see what happens.

Edit: I guess I just don’t feel very comfortable going somewhere where the social baseline is “who the gently caress are you”. I get enough of that in the US.

I don't know what the US is like really but Japan is if anything extremely welcoming. The idea that it's standoffish to foreigners originates mostly from people who had to deal with bureaucracy and the visa system, the ones who do get treated badly are from poorer Asian countries and Koreans but not westerners. The average person is really friendly and if you go into some gay bar in nichome or whatever you'll most likely find people to talk to easily.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I mean people could always just feel obligated to be accommodating :shrug:

Nah, I've always felt it's usually genuine friendliness, or at least politeness. People who don't speak English will probably feel embarassed but in general it's way easier to strike up a conversation with a stranger than it is in Europe for example where people don't give a gently caress about tourists.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

On my first trip back in 2010 I randomly decided to go to Tanegashima, booked a hotel and took the ferry the next day and rented a bike, then hopped over to Yakushima, probably the best part of that trip. It's fine to go to Japan without planning much except if you want to do certain specific things that are very popular or want to take domestic flights and stuff.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't get why they don't just put a map of every floor of a station on a big sign on the platforms, including cardinal directions, that would make it so much easier to find a specific exit.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You can sometimes find good translations of Japanese literature in jinbocho, then again you probably also could find those online if you look.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Musashikoyama is a good place to stay.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Musashikoyama has good izakayas and a couple good restaurants, a few good and fun bars, the longest shopping arcade in japan (maybe this is bullshit but it's what everybody always says), cheap karaoke and just generally a good atmosphere. Also near Megurofudo which is a good temple, Meguro and the river are a 20 minute walk away and Meguro station and the yamanote are 5 minutes by subway. It also has a good park.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

harperdc posted:

I thought they blew up all the izakayas and the drinking street making the gently caress-off big 40 story tower building right next to the station? It would be a halfway decent place to get like a 1LDK AirBnB for anyone who wanted to stay locally instead of in one of the big international chain hotels.

Yeah that building sucks and took at a lot of what made the place fun, but most of the izakayas simply moved to other places nearby.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like Yokohama.

It's Odaiba that I consider mostly a waste of time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pththya-lyi posted:

You take that back!

Odaiba's just a giant pedestrian-unfriendly shopping mall!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Japanese people usually say they like Odaiba because it's not like the rest of Tokyo, it's semi-orderly and has broad, straight streets and futuristic buildings. But one of the things I like the most about Tokyo is the chaotic street plan and complete chaos in architectural styles everywhere.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shiretoko in winter is a good place if you want to get away from tourists and still have a good time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

peanut posted:

Shikoku 88 temples and Koya-san are full of French people, lol.

European mainlanders

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I did think people were friendlier when I went to Osaka yeah. A person smiled at me on the subway.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

There's one in the shape of a disneyland castle right next to Meguro river that I always kind of wanted to stay at.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I stayed in a former love hotel in Seoul and it was good but the downside was that the shower was surrounded with mirrors (for a better view of how you are loving I guess) and who doesn't love seeing their own naked rear end from every angle at 8 in the morning?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

If I could improve one thing about Tokyo it'd be the bike infrastructure and rule enforcement. It's potentially a perfect cycling city but the way things are you can't really get to high speeds outside of some of the large roads, because nobody really obeys the traffic rules when it comes to bikes, like right of way and which side of the road to bike on, so someone might suddenly cut around a corner and slam into you. There's a few cycling paths but they're really half assed and pedestrians just walk on them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

captkirk posted:

This is one thing that has confused me. In Asakusa by my hotel they just throw down some stickers on the side walk that have a bike symbol on it. Is that how biking rolls in Tokyo? Just get a slice of the sidewalk and hope one of those old ladies with a back bent like a U doesn't wander into your lane?

It's a problem of attitudes towards bike and enforcement of the law. The law regarding bikes is in theory the same as, for example, in the Netherlands, in that bikes are technically a vehicle and part of traffic, but people treat them and think of them as basically pedestrians with wheels. Bikes mingle with pedestrians at very low speeds and very unpredictably, and putting a bike lane on a sidewalk with some stickers is just further enforcing that, and people of course ignore it. Those bike lanes are also constantly interrupted by car exits (instead of the car having to wait for the bikes when coming out of a parking lot or driveway, as it should be), old dudes just walk into the bike paths and the cyclists themselves constantly cycle on the pedestrian side. The cops don't do poo poo about it except check registration numbers and give you a ticket for having a bike light that isn't at full strength.

Improving bike accessibility would let people commute from areas that are not directly near train stations without needing a car.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like the ripoff boss coffee cans and salty lychee

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Reallycoolname posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about taking a trip to Hokkaido in the upcoming months and I'm thinking it might be in May so a couple of questions:

- Golden Week / immediately after GW: okay or bad idea?
- If I come from Singapore would the summer still faze me?
- Any general recommedations? I'll be there solo for about a week. I like nature, cafes and urban hiking. Also weird old malls selling weird old things.

Thanks!

You could consider going east to Shiretoko (takes about half a day if you take a bus from Sapporo to Utoro), that's probably the most spectacular place nature-wise. It's full of bears.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Skip the retarded robot restaurant and golden gai imo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The real place to be is Hobby Off

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Yeah, but I heard backpacks are a big no-no for crowded trains.

I need to look into messenger bags.

Backpacks are fine, just put it on the ground between your feet (tuck in the straps) or carry it or put it in the overhead racks. Nobody cares as long as you don't wear it on your back while standing in the train in a crowd.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Doctor Zero posted:

Speaking of toy shopping where are some good places in Tokyo and around akihabara? I’m looking for cool nerd things like Godzilla and sci-fi stuff and not so much gundam and bikini girl statues with huge boobs which is all most places seem to stock. Planning to go to the Bandai Akiba and tamashii nations places and probably yellow submarine in shinjuku but are there other good places to shop?

Hobby-Off

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I like to fly JAL to Europe except the selection of western movies tends to be pretty bad. KLM has been mostly good except for the one time I had a 747 with the same screens I remember from 2002 or so and which was noisy as gently caress.

LOT, Finnair and Lufthansa are all good choices too with usually lots of dumb movies to watch. Aeroflot was bad and I'd rather not ever fly with them again, just for having to get through Sheremetyevo and the sandwich you get for a meal.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I'm 185cm and JAL is generally comfortable enough to catch a nap if I take a few melatonin and put on The Fellowship of the Ring

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The teaching in Japan thread is archived so I'll just ask here: generally, what kind of requirements do international schools have for their English teachers? For example, will they except teaching degrees from non-native countries? I currently have an MA that I could supplement with a 1-year course that would give me a first degree teacher's certification for the Netherlands, allowing me to teach at Dutch high schools and so forth. Would that be accepted as the equivalent of a similar degree from the UK or the US, for example?

For context: i have a CELTA and speak Japanese sorta and have 2 years' eikaiwa experience. Also married to a Japanese person so a visa is no real issue. I don't really want to do eikaiwa again and I'd rather teach a regular class at an international school or at a uni or something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

totalnewbie posted:

Doesn't sound like you'd necessarily be limited to teaching English. Could you/have you considered teaching in a university on the subject you got your MA in?

My MA is in complit, would they let me teach with just an MA? In the Netherlands that's generally impossible.

Honestly I'd love to teach literature

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea is the same way. Worst story I ever heard was a friend getting leg surgery and they refused to give him painkillers or put him under. He eventually screamed and fought so much during the slicing open of his leg that they used novocaine to numb the area.

What the gently caress? What kind of surgery was it? Not just removing something from his skin or something but actual full on open muscle and bone work?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Sinbad ride at Disneysea rules.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

BlueBayou posted:

The song is so catchy. And Shandu is amazing

Plus the line is never long

In the end, the room smells like bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've been to Hakone 3 times and I enjoy it a lot. We went there with our dog to a ryokan that accepts them and which had a nice little private onsen outside that you could book and sit in together. The day we went there there was a horrible storm and we were completely soaked and cold when we arrived, onsen felt like heaven after that.