Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Also the basic rules for subbing and dubbing are fundamentally different, since (most) people read much more slowly than they can listen, so you really have to shorten things up for subtitles. If you just printed the script for the dub at the bottom of the screen it'd simply be hard for people to keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Soricidus posted:

You're underestimating people. In English, the average reading speed is something like 250wpm, while speech starts to sound fast above about 150.

All I know about the topic is what Donald Richie told me, heh. (There's an essay on the topic in Partial Views.) He does sort of gripe that the limits on subtitles are probably stricter than necessary, but "beats per subtitle" is apparently pretty limited, and a subtitler would need good reason to do above the guidelines.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Ichiran is very good, but be warned that it's not a social occasion - they put you in individual booths, just you and your bowl of soup, presumably to keep turnover high.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Ise is pretty drat cool, but it's probably about the worst thing you could do at New Year's - single most important shrine in Japan and all that.

Last year, almost 500,000 people visited during the first three days of January.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

fish and chips and dip posted:

Just wanted to say, I came back form Okinawa some days ago, and had a right loving blast. Did snorkeling twice, spent some time in Naha and went to the museum, went to a Japanese bath ate the best sushi I've ever had.

A question though, in one of the sushi restaurants they had this tuna sushi with what I can best describe as spiced wasabi. The sauce was darker in color than wasabi and slightly more viscous. The wasabi taste wasn't so strong and it had a distinct peppery flavor. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I've never had anything like this anywhere else.

I'm going to guess yuzu kosho, which isn't actually wasabi at all - it's a sort of paste made from the peel of a citrus fruit and peppers. It's good on pretty much everything.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

I mean, I fly in and out of Japan all the time with boarding passes that say basically SMITH / MRJOHNJACOB (except, you know, with my name) because Japanese travel agents can't deal with middle names or even English-language honorifics apparently, and I've never once had an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

The Great Autismo! posted:

Oita and Kagoshima ftw

Saga, the prefecture so dull a second-rate comedian got briefly very famous for his song about just how dull and backwards it is.