Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I was asking about teaching English in Japan a bit in the previous thread, and I've got one more quick question for anyone that's been down that road:

How far in advance should I be actively job-hunting? Ideally I'd like to give myself a couple months to scrape together as much money as possible so that I don't have to stress out about living paycheck to paycheck from the moment I land, but I'm not real clear on how long the actual process of securing a job is going to take. Should I start looking at postings / sending out resumes now, or are schools looking for people that can do an interview and book a flight as soon as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Phone posted:

How do you plan on entering the country? Tourist visa and leveraging that into a work visa?

The old OP boiled that down to "noooooooooooooooo".

Ah yeah I should have clarified that I am trying to find a job online before I get there, I've heard just showing up and looking for a job on the ground is a really bad idea.

I'm just not sure if I should be trying to get hired now while I'm saving up some extra cash, or if I should wait until I've got everything 100% sorted out, just to be safe. I'm guessing most prospective employers are looking for someone that can fly out as soon as possible, rather than someone who wants to fly out in a month or two, but I dunno how long the actual process of Looking for a job -> Flying to Japan generally takes.

edit:

TriggerHappy posted:

My sister teaches English in Nagoya. While she still lived in the states she went through an agency that placed her into a job, found an apartment, handled the initial work visa stuff, etc. It was all done before she entered Japan.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping to do. It sounds like a pretty streamlined process. From what I've read so far it sounds like January - March is prime hiring time for ALT positions, so I'm just kinda trying to find balance that with giving myself enough time to build myself a better financial safety net in case something doesn't go according to plan.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 6, 2016

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

peanut posted:

They used to say 3 months from interview to flight. April, August and January are common start times (beginning of semester) but eikaiwa jobs will hire year-round.

Idk just apply for a lot

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I should definitely start the process now then, and use the time in between to pad my savings out a bit more.

I still need to do a bit more research but right now I"m leaning more toward an ALT position rather than an eikaiwa job. Of course if I can find one that pays well and is in a good location, I'm probably not going to be too picky. I've seen a lot of recommendations to start with an ALT job just because it's a bit less hectic and you don't have to worry about having quite as many responsibilities dropped on you from day 1, but I dunno how accurate that is, and I'm sure a whole lot of it comes down to where you end up and who you are working for / with. There's a lot of conflicting opinions out there.

Madd0g11 posted:

U liek animu

My anime exposure is pretty much limited to whatever used to show up on adult swim + Akira. Tbh I'm much more of a cinema / lit nerd, and I like the Japanese food I've tried even if most of it was almost assuredly not authentic.

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 7, 2016

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013

Lemmi Caution posted:

English teacher chat might better be corralled into this thread.

As far as I know the OP is still relevant.

Thanks for this!

v- Haha, yeah, I was starting to wonder how many Japan threads there are, I think I've come across like 4 of them already, not counting archived threads. Sorry for cluttering this one up with teaching questions!

Bikini Quilt fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 7, 2016