Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Phone posted:

Any suggestions for neighborhoods to stay in near Osaka/Kobe?

It depends what you're looking for in Osaka, but you're probably gonna want to stay around the Amerikamura/Namba area. Lots of life, cool restaurants, venues, street food. Relatively easy to get to other places in the city from there too.

Kobe's a little harder to pin down, but somewhere around the Sannomiya central area should be fine. There's a lot of great stuff that's relatively spread out, so anywhere should be fine for sight-seeing since you'll be moving anyway. On the other hand, if you can stay in Kitano, that area's rather lovely if a little touristy...

On the other hand if you mean 'near' Osaka/Kobe more liberally, Arima is a nice little hot springs town on the other side of a mountain next to Kobe. Probably too far away, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Blackchamber posted:

I don't know every recycle shop in Kyoto or Osaka obviously which is why I asked for recommendations, key or special ones people here know of. All in all that doesn't appear to be much.

Blackchamber posted:

and check out this thing:

I live in Osaka atm and as far as Book Offs go, the one closest to Namba station is a weird combination-type place with two floors, the top one of which is mainly 2nd-hand clothing. The bottom floor is pretty standard aside from a small hardware section including a healthy selection of musical instruments and homewares, but the real gem is the 3-bookshelf wide section of foreign-language books, where books on Chinese business strategy rub shoulders with Church of Satan publications. (In other words, the books aren't interesting, but the thought of how they might have gotten there is.) Those books aside, there's a fairly large selection, so you'll definitely find artbooks/strategy guides, and there's a bin or two full of miscellaneous toys/stuff that MIGHT have some LCD stuff. It's easy to get to and probably worth your time.

I've been to the one in Tennoji, which is much smaller and seems more focused on books. There was also one next to a bridge over a river in Kyoto which seemed relatively standard for Book-Offs, can't report anything too surprising there.

In general, most of the interesting ones seem to be closer to transport hubs anyway. Most of the legit Hard Offs, Home Offs etc. will take you a few trains away - there's some ones that seem interesting in the Sakai area but I've never been motivated personally...

That Horror House game is fun, I had an incomplete copy growing up! But I've never seen board games at any Book Off I've been to (yet).

You're probably already familiar, but the Nippombashi area in Osaka has tons of stores that are more likely to have specific things; unfortunately, they're also more likely to know how much they're worth. Still, I should think you'd have a lot more luck in that area, especially when it comes to board games etc., plus it's really close to Namba. Obviously you're less likely to have those 'wow' random discovery moments, but more likely to actually find stuff you're looking for. Different kinda experience.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Archer666 posted:

Anyone any idea where I might find some X Japan vinyls in Osaka? Denden Town is coming up empty and I'd to have some for my collection.

King Kong in Shinsaibashi might have some, there's also Time Bomb in the same neighborhood but that's a bit more of a long shot.

There are some great record stores here, if you were really dedicated you could go to stores that focus on other genres as they might have clearance bins etc..

E: are you set on original pressings? I don't know, but a re-press might be something tower records could stock on vinyl. I don't ever go there, but if a re-press existed and they stocked records, it might be there. Worth a quick search on discogs maybe!

free Trapt CD fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 8, 2019

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Archer666 posted:

Thanks! I looked around in tower records in Umeda and also in Disc Union there, unfortunately no luck. Then I swung by some other other shops in denden town and nothing turned up there either. I was planning on taking another trip to Amerimura so I'll swing by those stores you mentioned too. Original pressings would be the best, but those appear to be really rare.. Oh well, at least I'm discovering new music just by digging through the records they do have.

Strange - the Umeda store supposedly has (few) copies of the new soundtrack LP. Check here and click the Kansai tab, which is the 3rd from the right in the section with 9 tabs... If you go in and ask, they might claim to not have any, but it's apparently there, somewhere.

King Kong can't be searched online it seems, so yeah, they're worth a shot - but fair warning that the prices seem pretty high, at least referencing discogs etc.. If you're brave enough to use Mercari, there seems to be a lot of X Japan LPs there, albeit for premium prices!

But that's not as much fun as the search, anyway.

I've mentioned it before, but the Namba Book Off has records too, if you're really desparate! Have fun digging!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Slow Graffiti posted:

Is there a good ticket reseller (a la StubHub) for concerts in Tokyo that has a website in English? We just realised Superchunk are playing at Fever on the 18th, but it is sold out.

According to this flyer I just got they're also playing at Tsutaya O-West in Tokyo on the 19th too. And if that's also sold out and you can deal with it, they're doing an acoustic gig at Fever on the 17th. Maybe you knew all this already though. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

MJP posted:

If we're looking for a hotel in Osaka, and plan on at least one day-trip to Kyoto, maybe one to Nara or Hiroshima, is there any reason to consider any area other than Kita or Minami? Seems like it's just a matter of picking the hotel since the Midosuji line connects back to Shin-Osaka and Umeda stations.

For the most part if you don't already have something in mind there's probably not much elsewhere that will interest you.

Some folks like to stay close to Universal Studios, which would also put you close to the aquarium and Osaka's shortest mountain. (That's not necessarily a recommendation.)

There's more peace and quiet the further you get from the city centre if that matters, and you could stay around Tenroku which has a rep for nice food if you feel like having that close to where you're staying. But it's marginally less convenient and with the amount of time you're staying there's probably more than enough good food in the usual areas to last you.

Obviously Ryokan and the like will be difficult in those areas, naturally.

But yeah, generally being within walking distance of the action is best for what most people aim to get out of Osaka.