Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

peanut posted:

lol my kawaii face got garbled, mods fix the title if you care ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
Mods, please leave this appropriate Galapagos thread title intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is probably my 4th or 5th time through Japan, all but one of which have been visits like this one - purposeful 17 hour layovers on a JAL flight - so I'm not like a level 23 Japan expert.

Still, one thing that's very different from the US or Thailand or Cambodia or even maybe Hong Kong or most places I travel is that I have never, ever seen a confrontation that I can think of. I haven't even seen like the auntie-in-training girlfriend publicly berating her cuck boyfriend who is wearing the matching shirt and hat and drinking a matching bubble tea, which I'm pretty sure I've seen in HK, SG and maybe even Taipei (though Taipei seems pretty drat chill).

I've only ever had one longer visit of about a couple of weeks, and that was in the tourist countryside, with Osaka and Nagoya thrown in, but I figure I would have run across more than just a drunk stumbling uncle at the JR station at 23:45, heh.

WHERE ARE THEY HIDING THE SHOUTY PEOPLE OKAY??

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 26, 2019

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just out of curiosity is there some non-emotional reason to be against the stand to the right/left, walk to the right/left thing? It's the norm in all manner of places and it seems pretty generally logical to allow for both. My only complaint with the Japanese implementation is the Osaka/Tokyo switcheroo nonsense, but that's pretty minor.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The points about wear and tear, and also overall throughput of the escalators make sense, yeah. I think the latter probably depends heavily on utilization and, at least in Tokyo they seem to be pretty much perpetually at capacity, heh, so an argument for carrying more people more efficiently under heavy utilization makes sense if the math on that is all correct, yeah.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Right, and you also don't need to be a wizard to consider, like I said, that the math only applies if the escalators are at, or probably near capacity. At many times in many places, they are not. The same goes for moving walkways in airports.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I didn't know you had wealthy third generation Thai-Chinese Bangkokians in Japan.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Don't worry about catching it in the plane, just start googling for stories about immigration queues during the pandemic and look at those. That'll calm your nerves.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The good news is that pretty much every airline (and many hotels) are all HEY PLEASE RESCHEDULE IT'S FREE AND poo poo right now, so good time to move things around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Crazy Rich Asians ITT.