Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

Actually it's been really mild this winter so you may end up getting lucky on the cherry blossoms. Kinda hard to tell until it's like a week or two before, unfortunately.

Yeah, the 'official' cherry blossom forecast is saying March 26th for Nagoya, but it seems their prediction last year (March 23rd) was two days late and this year has been pretty warm. extravadanza might miss the full bloom but will probably get to see something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Vidaeus posted:

What kind of interesting/whacky/cool placess are there to visit in Tokyo? I am travelling there with my wife, we will be there from Sunday 20/03 to Saturday 26/03. We're staying at an apartment near Tokyo Tower. So far, the stuff we want/have booked to see is:
Studio Ghibli Museum
Gardens/parks (recommendations?)

Interested in seeing cultural/historical/engineering stuff. Also, weird stuff like owl cafes and poo poo like that.

If you're going to Ghibli, it's worth heading to Inokashira Park before or after. And there's an owl cafe in Kichijoji (one stop from Mitaka, where the museum is; http://owlvillage.jp/).

For weird stuff, this is a reasonable introduction I think: http://www.klook.com/blog/10-weirdest-cafes-in-tokyo-and-where-to-find-them/

Also: http://www.timeout.com/tokyo/nightlife/tokyo-cabaret-pubs

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Vidaeus posted:

Osaka 30 March to 1 April
Kyoto day trip - Kinkakuji, Kyoto castle, any other good spots?
Osaka castle
Cherry blossoms
Eating, there's that food area near some big tower?
General look around the city

I'd spend a little more time in Kyoto. Fushimi Inari (place with all the gates) and Arashiyama (bamboo groves, monkeys, more temples, etc.) are cool places. Check japan-guide.com.

Osaka Castle is a reconstruction so though it looks good on the outside, the inside is pretty modern. If you want to see something more historically accurate, there's himeji (between Hiroshima and Osaka by Shinkansen) and Hikone (not too far from Kyoto).

For Osaka, I'd recommend the Umeda Sky Building and Namba Parks.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

leather fedora posted:

Well, maybe it wasn't an entire year ago, but it was quite a while back. I know for certain it's gone now though.

It combined with the First Kitchen near the crossing.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

SpiderLink posted:

2) I'm gonna be living in Shinjuku. What are some cool places to check out in Tokyo, and some must-sees in the country generally? I wanna hit some cultural spots plus some fun places like Tokyo DisneySea and the Ghibli Museum. Weeb poo poo welcome. I'll probably buy a rail pass or something when classes are over and spend a week or two visiting other cities. I'm eager and willing to try foods and see sights.

Check japanguide.com for some basic recommendations. Also Timeout has a good Tokyo page that will show you (in English) what kinds of events and festivals are coming up. If you're in Tokyo on April 16th, I would recommend heading up to Asakusa. It's a popular tourist spot which you'll definitely hear about (if you haven't already), but the 16th has the annual horseback archery event in the nearby Sumida Park.

Obvious 'weeb' places would be Akihabara and/or Nakano Broadway (near Shinjuku). If you like Ghibli, you might want to check out this shop too: http://littlemissbento.com/2014/12/shirohige-totoro-cream-puff/. Beyond that, it really depends on what kind of stuff you're into. There's always some kind of gimmick restaurant or special event for practically anything popular.

On a different note, unless you come in on a tourist visa, I think you can't buy the 'JR Rail Pass' (the one that works across the whole country). There are other passes available that cover smaller areas though.

quote:

3) This is gonna be my first time in Japan. I'm mentally prepared for culture shock, and I've done some reading on etiquette, but is there any general advice about living in Japan you wish you had known about? I'm talking about how apparently people from the NHK will knock on your door and try to bully you into giving money, that sorta thing.

- A lot of people in Tokyo don't pay full attention to where they're going (looking at phone/book/etc.), so be prepared to have to dodge constantly or be willing to play chicken with practically everyone you encounter.
- There's no ban on smoking in enclosed public spaces in Tokyo. If being in a smoky bar or restaurant is not an issue for you, no problem, but if it is, you'll need to take care. Some bars/restaurants do not allow smoking (or at least have separate areas), but there's no consistent rule.
- Don't be a vegetarian. Shops and restaurants in Japan don't really cater for vegetarian diets as much as some other countries (e.g. no labeling systems, staff are uninformed, etc.) so if you (or your girlfriend) have any special dietary requirements, you'd probably need someone's help.
- You might be required to take your shoes off at a moment's notice (not just people's houses, but many Japanese izakaya and restaurants also require it).

Stuff like the NHK man coming for you is unlikely if you're only here a few months (I didn't get my first visit until the end of my second year).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ManDingo posted:

I was going to buy N'ex tickets now for our arrival in Tokyo Saturday 3/19 and I read this on the website (http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/tickets.html):

"When traveling from Narita Airport, it is recommended that travelers purchase their N'EX tickets after arriving."

Is it safe to assume there will be seats available?

Yes.

ManDingo posted:

Oh and on a food related note. If you go to one of the crazy busy ramen places can you take it to go and not use up a seat? I have a feeling I will not be popular with my crappy chop stick skills and would prefer to not be rushed.

Probably not. If you specifically want to experience a 'crazy busy place' then just go in and take as long as you need. If you just want noodles, then go to a less busy place.

Azubah posted:

Other than the usual nerd places, what else should I consider hitting? I hear the Robot Restaurant is pretty awesome.

Please give us a little more to go on. What kinds of places would you be interested in?

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Azubah posted:

We're going to Akihabara, the Gundam museum, and Ghibli museum off the top of my head. I'm pushing to go to the Robot Restaurant, Square Enic cafe, and NIntendo/Pokemon centers too. I plan on checking out the suicide forest if my friend doesn't chicken out.

I'd like to check out some cool places, interesting shrines, decent food, etc. For instance is there a really good mom and pop place for food? Is there other places like Akihabara that isn't as crowded?

We'll be in Akiruno.

If you're in Akiruno, would be worth heading to Tachikawa for Showa Memorial Park. You'll also be near Mount Takao, which has this event this Sudnay: https://tokyocheapo.com/events/mt-takao-hiwatari-festival/. The town of Hachioji is also nearby and may be worth a bit of research. It's meant to be fairly nice from what I've heard (but I haven't actually been there before).

For Tokyo/nerd stuff, you should definitely go to Nakano Broadway. It's similar to Akihabara but in a more enclosed space. It may be less crowded than Akihabara, but Akihabara itself isn't usually *that* crowded unless you go on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon. It'll also be a little easier for you to get to since it's on the west side of the city (Akihabara is east).

There's also the Capcom Cafe in Shinjuku (Street Fighter-themed drinks, Resident Evil-themed food, etc.) and if you're going to Odaiba (which is where the Gundam statue and Gunpla showroom are), you might also want to check out the GAME ON exhibition. It's a traveling exhibition (originally from the UK) but it'll be in Tokyo for the next couple months and it'll give you a chance to try out the Playstation VR (need to get there early for the VR though).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

net work error posted:

My Kyoto time got cut kind of short. Are there any sightseeing things I can do in Kyoto at nighttime or does the city tend to shut down?

Fushimi Inari Shrine (shrine with thousands of the red torii gates) never actually closes. It's quite nice (if a little spooky in places) late at night. Much less people there too.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Vidaeus posted:

So I understand that I can use Pasmo/Suica around the Tokyo area for the local trains and vending machines, etc.. I have a few questions related to these cards:

1) Which one should I get? Is one better than the other?
2) Can you use these with the JR trains? I have a JR pass but will be in Tokyo for a couple days before I activate it, to make better use of it when I'm travelling to Hiroshima/Osaka, etc.
3) I will also be in Sapporo, Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto. Are these cards also able to be used in these areas, or are there other local equivalents?

1.) If you like penguins, get a Suica, if not, get a PASMO (i.e. it doesn't matter, cost and coverage is exactly the same)
2.) Yes. Actually Suica is the operated by JR, whereas PASMO is done by Tokyo Metro and others.
3.) Yes, they will work nationwide. However, each city/region does have it's 'own' system so though the cards will work, you won't see much in the way of 'SUICA' or 'PASMO' signage outside of Tokyo/Kanto. e.g. Machines in Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima may say 'ICOCA' and 'PiTaPa', 'Kitaca' in Sapporo. However, your Tokyo cards will work there.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

For Haneda, the international to domestic transfers are done as follows:

http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/dept/int_dms.html

So, if you head to one of the train stations after exiting international customs, you can probably pick up a card there.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Qwazes posted:

Is it illegal to ride on the road with a bike in Japan?

Quite the opposite. Last I heard, it's 'illegal' to ride on the sidewalk unless you are carrying a child or are a child yourself. Absolutely everyone ignores that 'rule' as and when they feel like it though, so it's 24/7 chaos.

EDIT:
Actually, looking into it, it's against the rules to ride on the sidewalk unless:
1.) There are signs/markings (e.g. a bike path) specifically indicating that you can.
2.) You are a child, have a child passenger, are over 70 years old or have certain types of physical impairment.
3.) The condition of road/traffic makes it difficult to safely ride on the road (e.g. if roadworks, parked cars, etc. are blocking the left-hand side of the road).

Source: http://www.mlit.go.jp/road/ir/ir-council/bicycle_environ/4pdf/2.pdf

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 22, 2016

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

zmcnulty posted:

I'm probably way overthinking this but the Robot Restaurant is a pretty interesting case study as far I'm concerned. The management must have really done their homework. They latched directly onto the "crazy Japan" aspect that so many Western tourists who come to Tokyo actively seek out, had extensive English-language media coverage when they opened, and I suppose the website/staff has at least passable English. Or maybe they use Engrish on purpose. I've never been so no idea. But presumably they deliver enough zaniness that people aren't disappointed when they walk out of there.

It would be an interesting case study in pricing too. 3,000JPY when it first opened almost 4 years ago, 8,000JPY now and apparently still packing people in every night. There are various discounts/coupons easily obtainable but the increase is still kind of extreme.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Hanami should be at its peak around that time, but no sumo tournaments.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Stalins Moustache posted:

Hey. I'm going to be spending a week in Tokyo from the 17th to the 24th of august, meaning that I'll have quite some time to at least see the most touristy things Tokyo can offer. I've already taken a look at tripadvisor as well as some recommendations from friends, but do you goons have any personal recommendations as to what I should do?

Edit: I like partying, drinking, meeting people and I've a hard-on for anything urbanism or city planning related as that is my field of study.

Also, on the 24th I'm leaving from Tokyo to Akita and apparently the best way for me to do so is to take the Akita Shinkansen train from Tokyo Station. I am a little unsure as to whether or not to buy one of the train passes because the japan railways site that I can use to order tickets keep giving me these red letter warnings that it will be much more cheaper for me if I buy one of those train passes. Should I? I'm thinking it might be a little smart to do so as I'll be attending university in Akita for about 5 months, and apparently cities surrounding Akita offers some pretty cool sightseeing stuff and they're easily accessible by train.

If you're coming to study (i.e. on a student visa) you're probably not eligible for the rail pass. It might depend on the specific pass in question, but the main JR pass is basically only for people on tourist visas.

For Tokyo, sign up for Meetup.com and see if anything takes your interest. Just going to pubs and clubs in Shibuya/Roppongi too and talking to people there might be good if that's more your style.

I don't know about urbanism really, but you might find the area of Odaiba interesting. It's basically all reclaimed land and now contains a mix of residential, commercial and entertainment-related developments as well as relatively high (for Tokyo) proportions of open space. From my perspective, it's one of only a few places in Tokyo that actually feels 'planned out' as opposed to 'built up'.

Additionally, you might want to check out the area around Shibuya that is currently undergoing a major redevelopment.
http://www.realestate-tokyo.com/news/shibuya-redevelopments/
There's a scale model of the plans and some other materials on the 11th floor of the nearby Hikarie building.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

If there's anywhere in the general area that's naturey/snowy in February that would also be cool, I haven't really seen anything of rural Japan and we have no snow in my part of China.

Snowy parts will be more on the northern and more mountainous sides of the area your traveling in. Look up ski places in Hiroshima or wherever to get an idea. Also, from Kyoto you could head up to Toyama or Fukui or somewhere before coming down to Tokyo.

Overall, if you're planning on stopping in so many places over the course of a few weeks, just taking the express trains will probably be fine if you're not in a massive rush. Himeji should be after Hiroshima/before Nara.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

hot sauce posted:

Ok cool, thanks for the replies.

Unrelated question for any photography folks. I'm also spending a few days in Tokyo including Halloween weekend. Any ideas for cool spots to shoot? I'm already have a few areas planned including the Tsukiji Fisk Market, but was wondering if there is anything Fall/Halloween specific I should check out.

For Halloween:
http://www.timeout.com/tokyo/things-to-do/halloween-in-tokyo

Also the streets of Shibuya and Roppongi should be pretty lively with people in costume on the Friday and especially Saturday nights.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Are you planning to stop at himeji on your way to Kyoto? It's on the way.

If you're spending that much time in the Kyoto/Osaka area, I'd recommend finding day trips to go on. Even if Nara's out, maybe somewhere like Hikone/Lake Biwa, or heading up to the northern part of Kyoto would be a good idea.

Also might be worth checking out meetup.com (at least for tokyo) in case there's anything interesting.

You should probably plan something for Halloween since you'll be in Shibuya anyway. By 'plan' I mean 'work out how to get back to your hotel through the horde of people that will be loitering on the streets.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

PeePot posted:

Am I wrong to skip Nara?

I actually scheduled an extra day in Tokyo to check out the Halloween chaos. Should I get a lovely mask or just accept being an obvious tourist?

Skipping Nara is fine if you're not interested in what it has, but you'll be in that region for quite a long time, so planning trips out of Kyoto/Osaka would probably make for a more fun holiday.

A random mask or whatever is fine for Halloween.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

hot sauce posted:

Does anyone know if any of those robot battle games in the Taito arcades are available for home consoles? The one where you hold the two pistol controllers was really cool but I can't remember the name. The ps4 isn't region locked so it wouldn't matter if it's a japan only release.

Gunslinger Stratos (2)? No home release as far as I'm aware. These days, with the exception of fighting games, most arcade games don't get seem to get home console releases.

d0s posted:

This is pretty much what I'm doing, though I'm only into the older stuff which is getting harder to find. So far I've been to:

Hey - tokyo
Try - tokyo
ebisen - tokyo
a cho - kyoto
sega avion - osaka
taito station (the good one in denden town proper) - osaka

Will you be spending any more time in Tokyo this trip? If so, you'd probably like Mikado in Takadanobaba. Warehouse down in Kawasaki also has a good selection of retro titles, including a Street Fighter (1) machine with the pressure sensitive buttons. Game Park (Rumble Plaza) in Ikebukuro isn't bad too.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 4, 2016

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

d0s posted:

pretty sure I considered most of those but I'm not that into fighters, more into shooters/other types of action games so idk how much those places have to offer me, if you think any would be good for that i'll definitely check it out

Mikado is worth a visit for sure. It is most famous for fighters, but they are mostly concentrated on its second floor. The first floor and the second floor around the stairs is similar to the retro parts Try and Hey.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Okutama, Hakone, Odawara, etc.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 16, 2016

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Has anyone here gone to Noh plays? I'm intrested enough in the form from having covered it in art history classes and such that I think I'd be entertained, but I'm worried about putting three hours of minimalist foreign-language theater into an itinerary that other people (albeit regular theater and orchestragoers) will be subjected to as well.

Also, what are some good weeaboo/weird-japan things to briefly immerse in in Kyoto? My list is almost entirely gardens, temples, and museums and I feel like that needs some variety in there.

Tori uzumasa eigamura is pretty good. English support is weak and it can get expensive quickly if you want to go in more than a couple of the paid attractions, but it's a nice break from Kyoto's typical spots.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Thanks for the recommendations--sounds like no-go for the Noh show, and Nipponbashi is exactly what I was looking for, thanks. Is Toei Uzumasa Eigamura worth it if a day trip to Kanazawa is also on the agenda?

Oh, also, what's the best arcade for decidedly non-arcade oriented people to bop around in as a ~~*~cultural experience?~~*~ Or is that a bad idea altogether? It's been specifically requested of me as de facto trip planner and the one with the most internet-osmosis JapanFacts(tm) but I'm not an arcade person either so i don't know what the gently caress :shrug:

Tori eigamura shouldn't bite into any Kanazawa time. It's more for if you can't bear more temples/gardens whilst in Kyoto.

For arcades in Kyoto, there is 'playland king' close to shichijo (very close to Kyoto station), which is a fairly standard place. And there's a-cho, near kawaramachi, which is a relatively famous arcade that holds many tournaments. It's mainly known for fighting games, but has a decent cross-genre selection.
You'll probably end up near both places at some point (I accidentally stumbled upon both places myself), but a-cho is worth a little detour if you want to see what the 'scene' is like.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 29, 2016

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

T Zero posted:

Just got back to Tokyo from Kanazawa. Also, I made my fixer take me to Joypolis. How ashamed should I be?

You should be ashamed if you didn't try out Zero Latency VR.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Can anyone vouch for whether the Warehouse amusement center in Kawasaki is any good - and worth visiting if I have a free evening staying in Tokyo and don't really mind the transport? If it's good, anything else in Kawasaki worth checking out?

It's worth for it just for the toilets. The Kowloon-themed part may feel pretty limited but entering and exiting the building is an 'experience' in itself. As an arcade, it has a decent selection of modern titles (and is very good for music games) whilst the retro section is small, but full of games with special cabinets (e.g. Street Fighter with the pressure sensitive buttons, Space Harrier with the moving cab, Virtual On, etc.).

If you're into Japan's various 'gimmick' places, I'd recommend eating at the Ultraman-themed restaurant afterwards.
http://kaiju-sakaba.com/

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Awesome, thanks! Thought I'd read somewhere that it's a moving installation and is in Stockholm now or something.

There are multiple statues. Most permanent, but at least one moves around. The Tokyo one is permanent.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Does anyone happen to know the opening hours for that "Warehouse" arcade in Kawasaki and if it'll likely be closed on the evening of Christmas Day? I know Japan doesn't really do Christmas but just want to check before I make the trip.

It's open until 23:45 every day, including Christmas (which is just a normal Sunday in Japan).

EDIT: The arcade part is open until 23:45. The building itself appears to be 24 hours (for darts and the internet cafe).

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 19, 2016

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Also ’Kutsu no Hikari' in Okachimachi.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

ToxicToast posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for what to do around Nagoya for a few days in February? I have been there once before and did all the basic stuff like the castle, shopping streets, and markets. Also willing to leave the city for a day trip.

If you're not opposed to Japanese-style illuminations, one of the biggest displays is in Nabana no Sato (Nagashima Spaland), about 40-50 minutes south of Nagoya.

http://www.nagashima-onsen.co.jp:8010/nabana/index.html/

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Moon Slayer posted:

What's a good source for English-language news in Japan?

Japan Today (ignore (or only read) the comments)
The Japan Times (but watch out for the paywall)
Tokyo Reporter (...)

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

photomikey posted:

Can I get some itinerary feedback? It's a bit rough at this point. I generally slot too many things in during each day, and we start to weed them out as we burn through stuff. We are pretty loosey-goosey travelers and we might see something we like on the way to the train station at 9am and blow off the whole day's events to try something that wasn't on the schedule at all. If there are 8 things listed in a day we may or may not make all 8, we might do half.

Since you're visiting during sakura season, you should probably make more time to explore some of the nicer parks or areas. You would undoubtedly see some stuff anyway, but I'd recommend setting some time aside and maybe going for a daytime walk down the Meguro River or having a picnic in a park.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3050.html

quote:

Sunday Mar 26 - Tokyo
Senso-Ji Temple if we’re up early (not sure how jetlag will hit us).

10:10am CONFIRMED - Cruise from Asakusa to Odaiba Seaside Park in a Himiko
Dock in Odaiba - look around
From Odaiba, ride yurikamome train to Shimbashi
Ginza (roads closed to traffic, Hokoten)
Eat at Yurakucho under JR track lines
hama rikyu onshi teien

Hama-Rikyu Gardens closes around 5pm I think, so I'd put that before the meal (dinner?) at Yurakucho. Also, there're various places near Seaside Park in Odaiba that a young child might enjoy (e.g. Legoland, Joypolis, Takoyaki Museum) so might be worth spending a little bit of time and eating lunch before getting on the train.

quote:

Monday Mar 27 Tokyo

Meiji Shrine treasure house, inner garden
Harajuku (Takeshita Dori (Takeshita Street))
Omotesando
Shibuya
Lunch at Uobei Shibuya Dogenzaka, the conveyer belt sushi place,
Tokyo Metropolitan Building - observation tower, 45th floor
1pm Picking up a Go Tokyo tour from there of Shinjuku
first basement level of Isetan Department Store, which is famous for its gourmet food stalls

That's quite a lot to squeeze in before 1pm (I know you said the plans are tentative..) but the observation tower stays open until fairly late, so maybe best to go later in the afternoon.

quote:

Wednesay Mar 29 Kyoto

Various Kyoto, this will be our only day in Kyoto and I'm sure we'll have no trouble filling it, but I haven't picked anything yet

You'll have no trouble filling a day, but if you choose to go to Fushimi Inari Shrine (place with thousands of torii/red gates), be aware that it actually never closes, so you can beat the crowds by going very early (before 9am) or reasonably late (e.g. after 5pm).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Qwazes posted:

How dumb is this idea? My main concern is that it would be socially isolating, but other than that it honestly sounds like a lot of fun.

I can't talk about 'socially isolating' in the context of the university (although I suspect any 'English-language' programme would have a lot of other foreigners), but do remember UTokyo is in the heart of the city and there are many to make friends and meet people outside of any university context.

In any case, as Limburg says, learning Japanese would make your time here more enjoyable for sure, but there's no need to worry about isolation in Tokyo as long as you're at least a semi-socially capable person.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, the monkey park is oddly not that popular it seems. Most other parts of arashiyama will be swarming with tourists but the monkey park has an odd tranquility about it (I went in December 2015). It's also up a hill and the view of the city from there is well worth the walk.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Argona posted:

Also, I'm arriving at about 430 pm on sunday, how screwed will I be getting on trains?

?? Not at all.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Anywhere near Tokyo or Yurakucho station should be good to stay. Direct train to makuhari and good connections for Tokyo too.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

photomikey posted:

Who sleeps in the 2nd room, my seven year old or my wife? While the question is a bit snarky, it's also serious. How the gently caress do Japanese travel with family? Finding a room that sleeps 3 is like the hunt for Red October.

Might be hard if Western-style, any decent-sized Japanese-style room will certainly have at least 3 futons available.

Of your choices and given your requirements, I'd take the Ryumeikan or the VRBO. The Prince Park Tower is obviously good for Tokyo Tower but you otherwise might find its location a bit awkward (unless you just taxi everywhere) as it's mostly a business district. Staying near Tokyo Station (Ryumeikan) probably offers maximum travel convenience and the VRBO will put you close to Ueno, Asakusa and the Sky Tree, all popular destinations).

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

photomikey posted:

Can you comment on the legitimacy of this:

You're the one coming for Makuhari, right? Tokyo Station and Yurakucho Station are barely a 10 min. walk apart so no need to think of their areas as being completely different, there's a massive overlap. If you're prioritizing convenience for getting to Makuhari, the platform/station entrance you need is right between them. Staying closer to Yurakucho will put you closer to a livelier area as has been said, but staying around Tokyo station (especially on its southern side) will put you in basically the same place.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Saikonate posted:

- I've visited a few foreign countries and actually never had to change money (I just used my credit card). My understanding is lots of places in Japan are still weird and cash-only. How much 円 should I get for the week? Can I use my debit card to get cash, or should I bring USD to change?

About 4-50,000yen in cash to start with should be okay if you don't want to carry large amounts. That'll cover daily expenses for a while (unless you immediately splash out on expensive meals) and then you can take money out from atms as needed (just remember to contact your bank first). 7-11 is best/most reliable but just look out for the visa (or whatever) sign. Also, I'd say most 'modern' places are fine with card payments these days, but smaller, more independent and more traditional places are more likely to be cash-only.

quote:

- My wife would really like to go to an onsen but a public one where we're separated by gender is non-ideal for us. A goon earlier posted a pretty slick hotel with private hot springs attached to the rooms, but it's totally booked up. Are there any other recommendations you might have in that vein? Can I pretty much pick one that's got good reviews on Google and fits our schedule/location decently? Ideally we'd go not too far off the beaten path, but I think I could get us there if I had to speak Japanese (I studied a bunch in college and have been putting myself through a refresher for the past few months). I'm more anxious than I should be about being a dumb foreign shithead, is all

There are many onsen which offer bookable private baths not connected with specific rooms (so you don't necessarily need to be staying there overnight to book). I can't give specific recommendations for the route between Tokyo and Kyoto, but the option does exist. If searching in Japanese, include 'かしきり’(貸し切り) to find places with private baths.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

How much in advance do you generally have to buy train tickets in Japan? JR pass isn't cost effective for my trip as I'm only riding it like twice and I'm wondering if I should just get them when I arrive. Would be from Osaka to Kyoto and then Tokyo.

Generally fine to just walk up and buy right before boarding.
For Osaka-Kyoto, it's a 30 minute journey that can be done on normal (non-Shinkansen) trains for 560JPY. No need to book in advance or use the Shinkansen for this at all.

For Kyoto-Tokyo, I'd only recommend buying well in advance if you have a specific schedule to keep to. Otherwise you should be fine just to buy before boarding (giving yourself enough time to find/reach the platform of course). There are tons of trains running that route and they probably won't sell-out unless it's mid-August or New Year's. You can buy 'reserved seat' or 'non-reserved seat' tickets. A reserved seat ticket will allow you to pick a specific seat on a specific train. 'Non-reserved' allows you to get on basically any service within the time period specific but you'd have to try to try your luck in the non-reserved seating area (worst-case scenario, you might have to stand if it's busy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Solus posted:

How bad of an idea would be visiting on like the 29th/30th of December for 7 days? There's a wrassling event on the 4th of Jan that I want to go to but I'm not sure how busy everything will be outside that

Trains/transport out of Tokyo will be very busy with people travelling home. Temples will be busy at New Years, most other places will be manageable or quiet.