Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I've always rented pocket wifi's whenever I went to Japan but this time around I want to rent a unlimited data only SIM card.

I found two sites and both are priced very differently:

1) cd Japan - http://rental.cdjapan.co.jp/index_en_jpy_10.html - 14 day unlimited data only nano SIM card rental for 2900 YEN. (Return required) (110MB daily - slow data after)
2) eConnect - https://www.econnectjapan.com/products/sim/5gb - 5GB data only nano SIM card rental for 7480 YEN. (No need to return)
3) Japan Wireless - http://japan-wireless.com/order.html - 6GB data only nano SIM card rental for 4000 YEN. (200MB daily)

Why is there such a huge discrepancy between my three options? It seems that the first option for 14 day unlimited data is the best but I'm wondering why it is so cheap? Has anyone here used any of the above options before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

Just use bmobile. All of those sites look awful.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/product.html - wow that's pretty cheap. Only 2,204yen (excluding tax) - that's the cheapest out of all the above three options for 14 days unlimited data.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Will be traveling in Japan during late March - early April. Planning on buying the JR Pass and trying to figure out where to go. I speak Japanese and considering visiting my friends in Sapporo. I know the new shinkansen line up to Hokkaido is supposed to open on March 26th so I am planning on taking that. However, will it still be cold and not worth it to visit around that time? Should I just go to Kyushu instead?

Also, is it possible to go to Russia (Sakhalin Island) from Hokkaido around that time? I can't find any solid information online but it seems like during that time it's not possible?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 22, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

I would think that the new shinkansen line would be excluded from the JR Pass seeing how you can't even hop on the Nozumi.

Good point - However, I just found this http://www.japanrailpass.net/new_year/JRP_hokkaido_eng_1225.pdf

"Your pass is valid for travel on the newly opened Hokkaido Shinkansen (between Shin-Aomori and Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto).However, the pass is not valid for travel in Gran Class cars."

Hmmm, I wonder if it will be sold out for the first few days......

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

Also, is it possible to go to Russia (Sakhalin Island) from Hokkaido around that time? I can't find any solid information online but it seems like during that time it's not possible?

Seems like there are daily flights to and from Sapporo to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, RU - Khomutovo (UUS)
http://www.flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByFlight.do?id=660166481&airline=HZ&flightNumber=6894&departureDate=2016-01-23

However, I can't find any information on how I am eligible to book that flight online.... seems like such a small and insignificant flight path that maybe online reservations are not possible.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

Russian visas are also a bitch to apply for. I'd say Sakhalin isn't worth the effort unless you have family there.
You should definitely visit friends in Hokkaido.

You're traveling during Spring Break so start booking hotels soon.

It's Spring Break for all students that week?

And even with a Japanese passport would getting a visa be tough?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 23, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

You'll probably miss out on the cherry blossoms, I was there last year until the 31st and nothin' was popping.

For Nagoya, I have a buddy who has a video game bar right outside of Fushimi that's p chill, it's called Critical Hit. Good drinks, nice place. There's the Toyota Technology Museum and there's the Toyota Auto Museum if you're into engineering stuff, I'm hitting up the tech museum when I go (I'm going March 25 - April 5) since I skipped it last year, but the auto museum had a really, really cool post-war exhibit in the next building. Their collection is awesome, highly recommended even if you have to leave the city and hop on the monorail. There's also the JR train museum which was also cool, they're pimping the gently caress out of their Maglev stuff, and you put your name into the bucket to drive the shinkansen simulator.

For wifi, I just had a bmobile SIM and I plan on doing the same thing this year. I'm kind of hoping that they don't shut off tethering since I switched from an Android device to an iPhone, and mobile hotspotting is dictated by the telco on iOS since 8.1 or something.

I'll be in Japan around that time again and love all that engineering stuff so I put that on my list of things to do while I'm there. Do you think it's possible to see at least two of those museums in a day?

Any other recommendations around Japan for cool museums like that? I'm also planning on going to the Maglev test track with fingers crossed that there will be a test day when I'm there.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

The Auto museum is in the middle of nowhere; you take one of the subway lines until it ends then hop on the monorail for 5 or 6 stops. I think it's about a 45 minute trip or so from Nagoya station, plus another 10 minutes on foot.

When are you planning on being in Nagoya? We can try to rendezvous and hit them up if the stars align.

I'm not sure yet and I honestly probably will not know my complete itinerary until I am in Japan. I have a place out in Yokohama that I will be staying at so it's convenient for me to just plan things out around what my friends in Japan are doing. I also really want to use my rail pass to go up to Hokkaido and ride on the new shinkansen line up there. Let's keep in touch though.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Does anyone know any good train stations between Tokyo and Sendai that I can see the Hayabusa / Super Komachi train pass by? I also wouldn't mind leaving the station and finding a good spot to take pictures of the train either. I'm a big train enthusiast (電車オタク.....) and can spend hours just sitting there waiting for the train to pass.

Phone posted:

Alright, sounds good. I'm going to be in Osaka/Kobe on March 25 and 30th at least, as well as the 4th since I fly out the next day from KIX. I plan on hitting up Nagoya for the 28th and 29th, and then I need to figure out the rest.

Awesome, that sounds like a good plan.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

I saw that video a while back - just me or is anyone tired of the "Wow look at how weird Japan is" videos that Vice has to do all the drat time. And that guy they interviewed who claims to be the know-it-all for this industry is Japan is such a square - saying things like how bad woman have it in Japan.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

cosmicprank posted:

Goon waifus, I will be in Japan the following places on the following dates:

April 2nd - April 3rd - Kawasaki (going to the dick fest, so what, wanna fight about it?)

Anyone want to kick it? I don't know what to say about me or anything. Here's my instagram?

https://www.instagram.com/cosmicprank/

Hahaha I will be in Japan during that time too and didn't realize it was going on. I'll try to make it to the dick fest!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

TWSS posted:

Will an allergy like that be a problem in Japan?

lol

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

lmao sugoi

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I had applied for a semester abroad through agreements with my university. Applied to 6 universities across the world, and 5 rejected me. The only university that accepted my application and asked me if I wanted to study there for a semester? University of Akita, Japan.
Now I know nothing about Japanese culture, customs, language or anything like that except for the little of anime / manga I've watched.
What should I keep in mind? What should I learn? What should I do before going? I've still seven months before I have to go, but I've already been recommended to start learning a little Japanese so that I won't be 'that' person.

A friend of mine lived there / went there and loved it. He was there for a few years too.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm going to be in Japan from March 21st - April 4th. I will have a JR Pass and interested in going skiing. Where is the best place to go skiing around that time? I was already planning on going up to Hokkaido with my rail pass so I'm thinking mountains around there? I see a lot of information about Niseko online - is that the go to mountain in Hokkaido?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

caberham posted:

Depends on your skill and snow conditions. Everyone likes to go to Niseko. But it's really really crowded and locals like to go to other nearby mountains (a lot to choose)

Skill: Advanced
Snow conditions: Groomed / Powder - don't really mind as long as its not too icy.

I prefer a mountain with a lot of long runs that are accessed by gondolas.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Does anyone have any recommendations for good hiking trails up north near Sendai / Hokkaido area? I wouldn't mind over around the Nagano / Kanazawa area either. Ill be in Japan for 2 weeks at the end of the month with a rail pass so I want check out some cool hiking spots around there. Seems like a lot of the places I want to go to are closed due to weather according to this website: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2427.html

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 17, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

ntan1 posted:

The Sendai/Hokkaido area you are talking of is extremely large with many many hiking trails. You'd have to probably give more details on what you're looking for. In fact, I'd split according to Tohoku vs Hokkaido, and beyond that, specifically what prefecture you are looking for, how middle of nowhere, whether you like the ocean or mountains more, etc. etc.

It's like asking, "Do you know any good hiking trails on the West coast of the US?"

Sorry about that. I would prefer hiking trails in places accessible by train. I have a rail pass and planning on seeing some friends up in Sendai / Sapporo area so I want to take a few days and get a hotel room somewhere and go hiking. I prefer mountain trails to ocean but I'm okay with both. I know that 85% of Japan is covered in mountains so I probably won't have any trouble finding any trails but I am a little worried about the weather up north.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

ntan1 posted:

What timeframe? In summer, spring, and fall, Hokkaido is a good area to hike in general. Anywhere in the Daisetsuzan, Shiretoko, Rishiri, etc. Tohoku is close to the same.

Oh am i kidding there is a guide to this. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2427.html

I linked to that guide in my original post but it seems like all the hiking spots are only open during the Summer - Autumn months. I will be there at the end of this month so I am worried about the weather.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
The new Hokkaido Shinkansen (Shin Aomori station to Shin Hakodate station) debuts on this Saturday March 26th and I was wondering if there is going to be an event at one of the train stations for the new opening line? I always see on the news a lot of densha otaku hanging out on the platform during events like that. I'm sure there will be one for this opening but I tried looking online but there were no results in English.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Just shoot for the first train leaving from Shin Aomori on that day. That station will be a zoo so you should get your fill on way or another.
http://hokkaido-shinkansen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/timetable.pdf

Looks like the first train leaves at 6:28AM. Good luck!

It seems like that ad is for the Hakodate station? I wonder if I get there before the 6:28 am train there will be an event of some sort?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I want to get a video of the Tohoku Shinkansen - Hayabusa / Super Komachi - from a distance so outside a station that's going top speed or at least close to it. Does anyone have any suggestions on spots I could check out between Tokyo <-> Morioka Station? I love trains so no distance or time spent is too much.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 30, 2016

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Who the gently caress still uses travellers cheques?

My mom saves images onto her computer by copying pasting the image to a Word document and then saving that Word document and she still doesn't use travellers cheques.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

That's what I thought. The whole Japan thing is currently just an offshoot of my changed itinerary for 2-3 weeks in China. I had 6-7 days to spare, so I thought I would try to climb Fuji. However when I do that I don't want to be bogged down with 30,000 other climbers.

I might just push this off to some other time if I am ever back in Japan.

Japan is 85% mountains and with the efficiency and speed of the trains there, the possibilities are endless for any hike besides Mt Fuji.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I remember watching a short 5 to 10 minute video about the operations behind a conveyor belt sushi chain in Japan. There was a part of the video where they showed how the cooks in the back made the sushi depending on the demand of the customers. Anyone know where I can find this video? I tried a few keyword searches in YouTube with no luck.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

That's it, thank you!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I know that with the JR pass I'm unable to ride on the Nozomi / Mizuho type bullet trains from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka / Kyoto or wherever but is there a website that I can search for the timetable for all non-Nozomi / Mizuho type trains? HyperDia wants to charge me $2.99 a month to view the JR Pass schedule.

I know that I am able to ride on the Hikari train with the JR Rail Pass but some of the trains are the non-N700 models. How do I find out if the Hikari train I want to ride from Tokyo to Kyoto are the N700 models of the Hikari.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 30, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Click the "More options" button - it lets you exclude those trains from your search.

Thank you, that worked. Now how do I find out which Hikari train runs with the newest N700 model of the Shinkansen?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Are there options for Japan residents to purchase short-term SIM cards (1 to 2 months)? Or are the cell companies still only offering long-term contracts?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

There are rental sims. Or just get a cheap one with minimal contract from an MNVO. Do you just need data, or a phone line?

You can try these guys: http://asolutions.co.jp/service/details/sonixnet-sim.html

If you just want data you can get 5gb for 1,500 x 3 month minimum plus 3000 setup fee. Support is really responsive and native English speakers too. Might be a better one around for your given situation if you search, though.

Just data and thank you for providing the link, seems to be the best in terms of cost and data offered.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I will be back in Japan next month and have a few questions

1) Any recommendations of places to go to in Kyushu? I plan on going to Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, and possibly Kagoshima.
2) Any recommendations of places to go to in Shikoku? I have never been there but I heard Kochi is great.
3) I really want to see the Autumn colors on the trees and was wondering where would be a good place to go to in middle of October. I saw the Autumn Color guide on Japan-Guide here https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html but there are so many choices it's quite overwhelming.

I can speak Japanese so it's not a problem getting around and I will have a rail pass. I'll be bringing my hiking shoes because I would like to go hiking.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone done the Shimanami Kaido before? I'm interested in doing it in October but curious about accommodation and the return trip since I will be traveling with a backpack and small duffel bag which I obviously can't bring with me on the bike. What do you suggest? Stay at a hotel near the start of the Shimanami Kaido, bike to Shikoku, stay a night in Shikoku, and then bike back the next day?

I'll have a JR Pass so I guess I could take the train from Imabari to Onomichi - Takes about 3 hours and the last one leaves at 7 pm to 8 pm. If that's the case, what time do you suggest I leave Onomichi by bike to get to Imabari?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 28, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

Yo that is not a one-day round-trip. You'll need to spend one night after the ride (most people continue to Matsuyama to see Dogo onsen & stuff... and festivals!!!)

You can forward your big bag by mail, or turn around half-way and return to Onomichi. Iirc the rentals bikes need to be returned by 6pm?

That is a good idea to turn half way around and return to Onomichi. And yes, from my research, most places require the bikes to be returned by 5 or 6 pm.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Is there a Japanese Autumn color leaves report online that's not the one on Japan-Guide that was updated a week ago? I'm thinking about going to either Toyama or Nikko next week and want to know if it's worth it or not. Thanks!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

roffels posted:

Thanks. I arrive late afternoon by plane and have no typhoon experience.

Is it even supposed to affect mainland Japan?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a large group of friends coming in next month on a weekend to Osaka. About 12 - 15 people or so.... do you guys have any suggestions on which restaurant to go to and if I should make reservations beforehand or if we can just walk to the people advertising their restaurants on the street? I can speak Japanese so there's that but I've never hosted such a large group before. We also want to go karaoke, will we run into issues with such a large group? Any recommendations for places to go after karaoke, maybe a club?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Any suggestions for places near Namba Station / Dotonbori for a nomihodai / fixed course place?

Worst case I'll just walk around that area and ask around earlier in the day before we go out.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 19, 2017

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Hargrimm posted:

If hypothetically an idiot looked at the wrong plug at home and ended up in Kyoto without a needed 3 prong adapter, where might said idiot buy one?

Any 24 hour convenience store should have one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How difficult is it to convert my US drivers license to a Japanese one? I heard that I have to get my driving record from the states, a AAA international license, and then go to the Japanese DOL. Is it that simple and can I do it while I'm already in Japan?