Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stringent posted:

Me and my boyfriend are are both vegans and allergic to rice and on a very tight budget, could you recommend some restaurants in Tottori?

Thanks!

Lmao. It begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Asking for good tonkatsu is like asking if there's any good McDonalds around.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Last time I was in Nagoya I got chased out by an old man yelling at me because he thought I was American. Ymmv though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Chased out of what? Nagoya? I'm really enjoying the mental image of a grumpy old japanese man following you, angrily yelling, making all the same train changes as you, until you're in Gifu or something

I was already walking back to my car and he just followed us.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Full Fathoms Five posted:

I was asking about teaching English in Japan a bit in the previous thread, and I've got one more quick question for anyone that's been down that road:

How far in advance should I be actively job-hunting? Ideally I'd like to give myself a couple months to scrape together as much money as possible so that I don't have to stress out about living paycheck to paycheck from the moment I land, but I'm not real clear on how long the actual process of securing a job is going to take. Should I start looking at postings / sending out resumes now, or are schools looking for people that can do an interview and book a flight as soon as possible?

I started looking for work a week after I arrived, but the market was actually good then. Have fun making matsuya money scraping together 15 hours of work a week.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

With jet you'll be waiting more that a year even if you get lucky and they give you an April spot with next years intake. More like 18 months.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rich uncle penny bags in the language thread is my homie because he learned high level Japanese to find javs that satisfied his chubby Asian fetish.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mr. Fix It posted:

I've had conversations with Japanese people about this, and the thing you need to understand is that the forces that keep this imbalance of power in place are somewhat mutual. I've been very struck at times by how willing Japanese women I've met are very content to play a role, and reject me quite harshly for not acting in kind. Japan is a country built on people acting how others expect them to act, and this goes both ways. Japan has a serious case of rape culture, and you're just not going to crack that. Most average Japanese women would be very confused to hear about a sexual encounter that wasn't what we in the west would consider rape.

What is this?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mmm dirty Tokyo snow rain combines.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Decided to go to ageha on sat night and it turns out there was a kyari pamyu pamyu concert on there. Definitely an interesting night.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Was talking with my coworkers today about how poo poo it is that deadpool is delayed here and now a couple of us are flying to Taiwan to see it lol.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Hey guys I have some questions maybe you can help me with.

I met my wife in Japan 2 years ago while I was over there teaching English for a semester. I'm now 32, she's 22. We started dating, got engaged, married, and she came over to the US via the K1 visa program about 5 months ago.

There are several issues that have come up since we got married and moved in together. I'm hoping for some goon advice from others in relationships, even if they're not exactly like this. Keep in mind she has been in the US officially for about 5 months. I understand there is a huge cultural change and learning curve, but some of this is crazy.

1) She still hasn't learned to drive. But not through lack of trying. She has extremely bad nerves, and every time she even gets in the driver's seat she freaks out and starts shaking and sweating. We tried parallel parking once and she just floored it while the E-brake was still on. I had to physically pull her foot off the pedal. We try driving at least half an hour a day and she's gotten no more comfortable with it.

2) Her English is pretty good, but she still prefers speaking Japanese all the time. My Japanese is alright, but I don't catch everything, especially slang and things like that. Many times after an argument she'll run into the bedroom, lock the door, and start yelling things at me in Japanese that I don't understand.

3) We are having some money issues - mostly tied to the fact that I'm the only one working. I'm a substitute teacher, and work is spotty at best. I also do work as a landscaper but it's winter so there's nothing going on. So finances are TIGHT right now. We've looked for work she can do from home until the driving situation is fixed, but most of it needs a way better understanding of English.

4) We still haven't consummated our marriage. The most she's willing to do is some stuff with her feet, no actual intercourse. This is a nerves thing again.

I love this thread.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tequila Sunrise posted:

First of all, we love each other very much. My wife is also not a child. Again, put yourself in her shoes. Imagine you are just living life when suddenly you meet this amazing person who is also your Japanese teacher. You have a whirlwind romance and he or she asks you to marry them. Of course you say yes - but then you move to Japan with only a rudimentary understanding of the language and culture. You'd probably be pretty shaken up, right? That's what my wife is living with. Her support network right now is me, and a family that's on the other side of the world.

Finally, on the sex thing. I probably should have clarified this since it's apparently an issue for several goons. Yes, I have a foot fetish and my wife is fully aware of this. One of the ways we started bonding in the first place was I'd give her foot massages - it was a nice little thing for both of us. After a few dates I worked up the nerves to kiss her. After a few more I took her to a Japanese "love motel" with the intention of losing my virginity. However while I was putting the condom on she started crying. I asked her what was wrong - she said she was a virgin too and didn't want to do anything until marriage. I told her that was fine, kissed her, and she went back to her parents' house.

I tried to consummate the marriage on our honeymoon. As mentioned, money is very tight, so for our honeymoon, we did a 3 day pass to Hershey Park. It was a lot of fun. To make the first night really romantic, I splurged on something really cool. The staff will fill the bathtub up with melted chocolate (really more like slightly watered down chocolate syrup - it's a skin care/spa thing). I had them do it and planned to make love to my wife in the tub (we both love chocolate, her especially).

That didn't go well because she said it looked like a tub of "poo-poo". I showered off but by the time I was done and had cleaned and drained the tub, she had fallen asleep.

The next day I tried again, just regular bed sex. I was about to put it in and she suddenly started shuddering all over. I asked if she was cold, and she told me she was so nervous. We had an adult conversation about this and she admitted that my penis was much bigger than any other boyfriend's she had before (makes sense as she had dated solely native Japanese before) and that she was worried it would hurt her. We agreed to go dildo shopping after the honeymoon as a way to kind of "work up" to me.

Since then she's started that process (this is a real thing, before goons jump to conclusions). Our current form of sex will usually be her using dildos (starting really small and working her way up) on herself. I'll then try to enter her but she'll either start shuddering or her vagina will tighten up so much I can't enter. After about a month of this I got frustrated, and she saw that. She then gave me a footjob, which I'm not gonna lie - was awesome. I kind of let up on the penis in vagina sex after that, since she'll give me a FJ fairly regularly now. She is still using the dildo step up process, though, and I hope to consummate things by Valentine's Day.

I am also trying to meet some Japanese immigrants around my city for my wife to become friends with and discuss the whole cultural adjustment thing. We went to a Japanese restaurant a few weekends ago and I started talking to the chef. It turns out he was actually Hawaiian so it doesn't matter, but that's the kind of thing I'm willing to do for my wife.

I will keep updating this as needed. The holidays were a nice downtime and we bonded a lot and got a lot of driving practice in. I figure if we can get the driving and sex things tackled by Valentine's day, and a job by St. patrick's day, then we're golden going forward.

Also regarding the holidays - this was an awesome time for us both. I've been an atheist since elementary school (I'm sure some jokes will fly at this, but it's the only educated way to look at the world and I figured that our really young) so I don't decorate for or celebrate anything related to Christmas. My wife and I exchanged gifts, but that was it. We went to see Star Wars on Christmas Day - it was her first time seeing a movie in theaters and although it was a bit too much for her (she had to run to the bathroom when the aliens broke out on Han's ship and started eating everyone). When the movie was over she was waiting in the lobby for me and she was fine then. Afterwards we ate KFC I had bought a few days earlier and kept in the fridge(this is a Japanese tradition on the holidays) and we both really enjoyed it. I think getting these kind of American experiences in is helping her a lot.

Ok shut up now, idiot.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I had applied for a semester abroad through agreements with my university. Applied to 6 universities across the world, and 5 rejected me. The only university that accepted my application and asked me if I wanted to study there for a semester? University of Akita, Japan.
Now I know nothing about Japanese culture, customs, language or anything like that except for the little of anime / manga I've watched.
What should I keep in mind? What should I learn? What should I do before going? I've still seven months before I have to go, but I've already been recommended to start learning a little Japanese so that I won't be 'that' person.

Watch more anime.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What's wrong with Osaka.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lmfao if you don't go to their clubs.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

leather fedora posted:

The Roppongi Wendy's actually closed down about a year ago. It's just the one near Akebonobashi or whatever near Shinjuku.

Really? Pretty sure I had Wendy's in Roppongi like a month ago.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

like i love my wife and stuff but if i ever somehow fall through a wormhole and end up in another dimension that is very similar to this one, except that i am now single, the first thing i would do is move to fukuoka

drat dude. I bet if you didn't have a wife you would have done some serious damage.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Bring your own bowl, ask them to put the ramen in it instead. Eat it while walking down the street.

Please do this.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Visiting Japan Dec. 9th-23rd.

I'm just in the process now of looking at where to go, stay, what to do, etc. Anyone have any links that they found useful? Youtube series or anything? Places they stayed that they liked?

Probably going to be visiting Hiroshima->Osaka->Kyoto->Tokyo. Not sure where we're flying in yet.

That's plenty of time to switch over to a complete vegetarian diet.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

If you can't exchange money and you're coming to Japan solely for the pedo comic convention then I don't really want to help you.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Google translate is pretty good considering that it'll do an awful job if you throw anything that you might encounter at it. I put it on my Nexus 5 last year and used it for like 2 days just goofing off, but I didn't exactly strike up conversation with many people outside of restaurants and booking train tickets.

It has a really cool real time OCR thing where it'll automagically translate stuff on the fly.

That doesn't work with Japanese I think.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Nobody is nice or kind here in Vancouver.

Vancouver is America.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I never used Netflix before I came to Japan and now I watch it all the time. Nothing kills a 40 minute train ride like the adventures of Frank Underwood.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

Hey everyone, me and two friends are going to China and Japan in late June to late July. We're spending three weeks in Japan, and while all our flights are booked and I'm currently looking at hotels, I've had some difficulty estimating how much time we'll spend in each city, and what to actually do there. If anyone has recommendations or some form of "you really do not need four days to see Kyoto if you're sick of temples after your first day" then I'd appreciate it! We'll be using a Japan Railpass so I think sidetrips are really easy to throw in here and there on the fly.

- Arrive in Tokyo Narita on the 29th of June, stay until the 6th of July. I'm guessing we can improvise lots of side trips if we run out of stuff to do in Tokyo.
- From the 6th until the 8th at Hakone. We're staying at a Ryokan because it sounds cool and I got a 50% off on some three stars ryokan there.
- 8th and 9th in kawaguchi. The trains from Hakone to there seem like some serious bullshit so I think we'll take the bus through gotenba. Would it be feasible to leave Hakone on the early 8th, bus to our Bed and Breakfast in Kawaguchi, and then take the same bus back to Fuji Q to spend the rest of the 8th there?
- From the 9th until the 13th, we'd be in Kyoto. I'm not sure if this is too long but I thought about doing sidetrips to Nara and Kobe from there.
- From the 13th until the 15th, we'd be in Onomichi. We intend to bike around there, even do the bridges to Imabari and back on the 14th. Would this be feasible in a day?
- 15th and 16th we'd be in Hiroshima
- From the 16th to the 19th we'd be in Osaka
- Finally, on the 19th, take the train from Osaka ro Tokyo for our flight back.

Does all of this seem reasonable? I'm having a mighty hard time finding decently priced hotels in Kyoto but I should check out airBNB, but I don't want to commit to something without free cancellation until I'm certain of the days I'll spend in each city.

Is there anything in or near the places I've listed that you consider a must-see, or a trap to avoid? My friends and I are interested in a variety of things, and we'd like to just explore cities at our own leasure. I'm mostly worried about my friends getting burnt out on temples in between meals, especially in Kyoto.

If you just like exploring you'll never run out if things to do in Tokyo. I've been here for 18 months all together and I still sometimes grab my camera and spend an afternoon looking for cool poo poo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's more that bicycle riders try to kill pedestrians.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

netcat posted:

That's always the case with cyclists though.

Never felt more in danger from rogue old ladies on bicycles than I have in Tokyo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone got their licence converted here? Just wanna know how involved the interview is. I've heard mixed things; either it's pretty hardcore or fairly breezy. Don't need to take the tests because I come from a non poo poo country.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Everything I've heard and seen is that you auto fail twice and then magically pass the third time.

That's good to know but I'm not taking any tests.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

prompt posted:

No idea what interview you're talking about - I converted my license in the last 6 months and it was just: bring paperwork and get told I don't have enough. Bring more paperwork and get told again I don't have enough. Bring all the paperworks, then get my eyes checked and the license printed.

Ok so you're the other side of the coin. I've heard what you're telling me from some people and others have said they grill you on your driving history. What was the paperwork you missed? I'm sure I've got everything I need...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hmm...thanks. Any idea on the wait time? When you get there? Something tells me I'll be sitting here a while.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ok I was missing paperwork...something called a juminhyo. I just assumed that my licence, zairyu card and passport all saying I'm from New Zealand would be enough but I guess Japan. :shrug:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Already got. Just waiting on tomorrow.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Come and watch Netflix at my house. You have to sit on the floor though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Phone posted:

Do you have a six of Dew and are we gonna watch Akira?

I have yamazaki and we're going to watch House of Cards.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Azubah posted:

I'm hitting Shinjuku tomorrow, I'm going to the Robot Restaurant's 4 PM show. I don't know if any tickets are left ($65 for the 4 PM show) but I'd be down for meeting before or after the show.

Robot restaurant. Lmfao.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

leather fedora posted:

I think you should do whatever seems appealing to you, no matter how kitschy or tourist trappy it appears. Whether or not an experience you get when touring is authentic or respectable or whatever doesn't matter so long as you honestly enjoy it.

Yes, but expect people to laugh at you or think that you're a weirdo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Here's the golden gai experience from the half dozen or so times I've been there. Too full, too full, too full...off to the hub then.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've been to kansai 3 times and have never been to Kyoto except the one time I stopped to get a snack. :dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I don't care about authenticity but the robot restaurant just seems so stupid. You know those ads in inflight magazines for random singing and dancing shows at your arrival destination aimed at white middle class people who don't know how to have an actual good time in another country? That's what the robot restaurant is.

Nail on the head.