Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

peanut posted:

Can someone please ask about travel cell phones then another person answer that question, but in a current and accurate way tia

Guys, I have an unlocked cell phone and another backup unlocked cell phone, and I know how to navigate through bmobile's site.

I don't have a question, I was just bragging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's this place you might have heard of, it's called タコ ベール, it's really G O O D.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I ate McDonalds in Osaka, it was really salty (and had an egg).

Coco Ichiban: literally #1, accept no impostors, etc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How do you plan on entering the country? Tourist visa and leveraging that into a work visa?

The old OP boiled that down to "noooooooooooooooo".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just use bmobile. All of those sites look awful.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I would think that the new shinkansen line would be excluded from the JR Pass seeing how you can't even hop on the Nozumi.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Look into the JR pass. You can use it on all of the JR lines including most of the shinkansen ones.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chomskyan posted:

Why do Japanese movies almost never have Japanese subtitles? Does Japan hate deaf people and Japanese as a second language learners?

Fan subs to add Japanese subtitles to movies.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You'll probably miss out on the cherry blossoms, I was there last year until the 31st and nothin' was popping.

For Nagoya, I have a buddy who has a video game bar right outside of Fushimi that's p chill, it's called Critical Hit. Good drinks, nice place. There's the Toyota Technology Museum and there's the Toyota Auto Museum if you're into engineering stuff, I'm hitting up the tech museum when I go (I'm going March 25 - April 5) since I skipped it last year, but the auto museum had a really, really cool post-war exhibit in the next building. Their collection is awesome, highly recommended even if you have to leave the city and hop on the monorail. There's also the JR train museum which was also cool, they're pimping the gently caress out of their Maglev stuff, and you put your name into the bucket to drive the shinkansen simulator.

For wifi, I just had a bmobile SIM and I plan on doing the same thing this year. I'm kind of hoping that they don't shut off tethering since I switched from an Android device to an iPhone, and mobile hotspotting is dictated by the telco on iOS since 8.1 or something.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So there's the technology museum: http://www.tcmit.org/english/ and https://goo.gl/maps/YXiJWNA1wu62

And the automobile museum: http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/english/ and https://goo.gl/maps/1zN8umHCwU12

Since you have a CDMA phone, it's worth it just to find a pocket wifi.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Auto museum is in the middle of nowhere; you take one of the subway lines until it ends then hop on the monorail for 5 or 6 stops. I think it's about a 45 minute trip or so from Nagoya station, plus another 10 minutes on foot.

When are you planning on being in Nagoya? We can try to rendezvous and hit them up if the stars align.

For other stuff, I'm basically doing a slight retread of last year, but Mazda's down in Hiroshima and I was done with the tour by noon and spent the rest of the afternoon legging it around the Atomic Dome.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 17, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Busy Bee posted:

I'm not sure yet and I honestly probably will not know my complete itinerary until I am in Japan. I have a place out in Yokohama that I will be staying at so it's convenient for me to just plan things out around what my friends in Japan are doing. I also really want to use my rail pass to go up to Hokkaido and ride on the new shinkansen line up there. Let's keep in touch though.

Alright, sounds good. I'm going to be in Osaka/Kobe on March 25 and 30th at least, as well as the 4th since I fly out the next day from KIX. I plan on hitting up Nagoya for the 28th and 29th, and then I need to figure out the rest.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You might be better off just trying to get a refund for the tickets or just wind up eating egg salad sandwiches from the convenience stores.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Coke Zero and Snickers bars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

net work error posted:

Subsist solely on plain 7-11 onigiri and soda.

I got food poisoning from a fried chicken one. If the onigiri has a wattage on it, FUCKIN' FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

I literally thought I was dying. I'm sure that the Strong Zero didn't help.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
go north

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Any suggestions for neighborhoods to stay in near Osaka/Kobe?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

It depends what you're looking for in Osaka, but you're probably gonna want to stay around the Amerikamura/Namba area. Lots of life, cool restaurants, venues, street food. Relatively easy to get to other places in the city from there too.

Kobe's a little harder to pin down, but somewhere around the Sannomiya central area should be fine. There's a lot of great stuff that's relatively spread out, so anywhere should be fine for sight-seeing since you'll be moving anyway. On the other hand, if you can stay in Kitano, that area's rather lovely if a little touristy...

On the other hand if you mean 'near' Osaka/Kobe more liberally, Arima is a nice little hot springs town on the other side of a mountain next to Kobe. Probably too far away, though?

Word, thanks. I was looking at places in Hirano, but I think I found a nice place near Kobe University that should be good for a few nights.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What if I'm going there for an old waifu?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think everyone in this thread is going to be in Japan for Easter. I take it that you're going to be up in Tokyo?

vvv - wanna meet up? you can laugh at me being an awful foreigner and not know the language at all

Phone fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 26, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
#Thankyou #samurai #tokyo #shinjuku #sengoku #museum #bushido #edo #cool #sword #spear #armor #shogun #happy #budo #sightseeing

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ugh, I should have booked my Airbnbs 2 weeks ago. Found some places, just waiting for confirmation on 2 of them. Balls.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Add the Mazda Tour for Hiroshima, it's pretty neat!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think the slowest you can go from Osaka to Kyoto is like 60 minutes. I think it's fairly equidistant compared to Nara.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Futaba Anzu posted:

Dang what a coincidence, I'll be going at roughly the same date too. Will mostly be in Tokyo though, might pop on by to Kyoto to peep some shrines because I heard they were cool.

Anyways, to more formally write my post, I'm going to be flying out from California on my first trip to Japan somewhere in the range of December 26 - January 2, give or take a day or two. I'll be meeting up with a ton of other friends so I shouldn't have any problems with being shown things to do, with Winter's Comiket being the main attraction for that week. However I have almost zero idea as to how I should even go about preparations, my friends said they'd help me out once everyone got a better bearing of who was going in about three months, but I wanted to at least learn what was up. From what I can gather, for Tokyo either Haneda or Narita would be the desired destinations, with Haneda being closer to central Tokyo, is that right? How and when do I handle reserving hotels and exchanging money? And are there any other things I should keep in mind to make sure I don't gently caress myself over once I get there?

I don't know if asking for advice for a trip in December right now is considered early, but I just want to be absolutely prepared.

I will also peruse this site. Thank you

Money in Japan:
- Bring $100-200 with you and exchange at one of the money changers in the airport, you now have money to get around and to put food in your face hole
- Buy an IC card the first time you're at a train station and put 5000 yen on it
- Go find a post office and use the ATM there whenever you run out of your initial money that was exchanged

The money changers have much better rates in country and if your flight is getting in late, it might be your only option. When I went last year, the market rate was 123+ JPY to 1 USD, the exchanger at O'Hare was offering 103 JPY, the exchanger at Narita or Chubu (can't remember) gave me 120 JPY. The ATM pulls at the market rate, but your bank will probably charge a 1% fee.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can basically use IC cards with everything except the smallest of local train lines which were built in the 1950s.

They're all inter-operable.

You're overthinking this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

Citibank ended operations in Japan last November as far as I know. Just a minor tidbit. But really guys, if you have trouble getting money you shouldn't fly anywhere. It's as bad as not knowing how to wipe your rear end

Wow, so much bad ATM info in this thread.

1. Citibank ended operations in Japan in November 2015
2. You probably shouldn't wipe back-to-front

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was making fun of Aredna by starting their post with "So much bad info" and then repeating what everyone else had already said.

jokes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, we get it, you're technically correct. Which is the best kind of correct.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Google translate is pretty good considering that it'll do an awful job if you throw anything that you might encounter at it. I put it on my Nexus 5 last year and used it for like 2 days just goofing off, but I didn't exactly strike up conversation with many people outside of restaurants and booking train tickets.

It has a really cool real time OCR thing where it'll automagically translate stuff on the fly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It mostly works, but don't take it as gospel because it'll go off the rails into bad translation land really quick.

I used it on some promo thing at Coco ichiban that was talking about "try our hurricane swirl desert!" that had a bunch of katakana, and google translate was going off about "the temptation of the tropical hurricane kick".

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're just playing Puzzles and Dragons.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mazda is there and has a cute factory tour. Maybe try to go to a Carps game?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can I hang out with a goon when I'm in Hiroshima?

I think I'm town on the 27th overnight, hitting up Mazda in the am on the 28th.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Busy Bee posted:

ntan1 posted:

no

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Anyone got their licence converted here? Just wanna know how involved the interview is. I've heard mixed things; either it's pretty hardcore or fairly breezy. Don't need to take the tests because I come from a non poo poo country.

Everything I've heard and seen is that you auto fail twice and then magically pass the third time.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

See you goons next week! So excited

#wow #whoa

I leave tomorrow

Fuckkkkkkkk

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nah, I'm going on vacation until April 5th tomorrow from America.

I'm down for meeting up if we're in the same area.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't do cash advances on a credit card, you idiot.

Use your debit card plus PIN. It might have a 1% foreign transaction fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

extravadanza posted:

Stopped by Critical Hit in Nagoya tonight for a few drinks and some Mario Kart. Great bar if you want to play some classic games. Thanks for the recommendation, Phone. Will probably return before I continue on to Kyoto on April 10th. Maybe we will run into each other there...

Glad you liked it! I'll be there tomorrow (Monday) night.