Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
So uh, speaking of Shinkansen events, I accidentally walked onto the platform where there's an Eva themed train. The JR West lady handed out bookmark sized flyers with the time table, it's pretty awesome to see all of the people taking photos of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Do you have a six of Dew and are we gonna watch Akira?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm in town tomorrow and on the 1st. Then I'm out of Nagoya until my next trip to Japan.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He opened it up late 2014, November was grand opening iirc.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

cosmicprank posted:

At Shanghai airport right now, flight to Japan in an hour. Honestly, I'm surprised it lets me on this website. Six days in Tokyo (Meguro/Kawasaki/Asakusa) two in Kyoto, three in the Neyagawa/Osaka area, one in Hiroshima, two in Fukuoka and then two more in Nagoya before a final day in Tokyo then returning to Los Angeles. I'm a young dude (probably younger than most people on this forum) with no real concrete plan, just a few things on my iternerary. I booked this trip almost a year ago thinking I might of had to cancel it several times because of life thangs, but here I am! I don't have messaging on this forum but let me know goons :) I am easily amused and pretty down for anything.

Lol, you poor bastard. I flew through Shanghai as well and it was loving awful. For the $5/HR wifi, Facebook, everything Google related, Twitter, and imgur are Great Firewalled.

FB messenger? A bit spotty, but works.

Something awful forums? Go nuts, chief. The world is your oyster, have at it.

Anyways, here's my itinerary until the 5th if a goon wants to meet:
Today - Nagoya
Mar 30 - Kobe (busy)
Mar 31 - Kobe
Apr 1 - Nagoya
Apr 2 - Osaka/Kobe (JR pass expires)
Apr 3 - Osaka/Kobe
Apr 4 - Osaka/Kobe
Apr 5 - Raleigh

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 29, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
extravaganza: Ah, fair enough. We tried.

caberham, gonna change your av to say that you're tsundere for shanghai

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't be racist against white people. It's totally their fault that they're devoid of anything that resembles culture.

*only eats at McDonalds*

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How many Strong Zeroes are in ¥8000?

I typed 1 USD to Chuhai in Google and it didn't recognize it. Please advise.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

Help me I'm in Akihabara I'm suffering culture shock from seeing all those gross anime nerds in their pilgrim clothes.

Compared to hakone it's another form of hell. But going through random side streets and eating the fruit and vegetables makes the trip way more fun than my average sub par meals and average sub par onsen

Akihabara is hot garbage.

Nipponbashi/Den-Den Town is where it's at.

(fight me)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Super Potato has ruined My Precious Japanese Games.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a shopping district

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Confirmed, Knuc is Kevin Bacon.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I get my meals from Family Mart.

Oh, good to know that I'm getting the authentic Japanese experience. Places I've eaten:
1. Familymart spicy chicken
2. 7-11 spicy chicken
3. Lawson spicy chicken
4. Coco ichi
5. Familymart spicy chicken

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm not sure if "Ideas Guy" is a hot job market in Japan.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Maybe some higher end grocery stores? Japanese customer service is double edged, though; it's really easy to get on the bad side of customer service and you're on the phone nonstop having someone tell you "It cannot be helped valued customer" while you're faxing something across town.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I should have never looked at a page of wasei eigo, it's now burned into my brain that seltzer = サイダー.

I drink seltzer as my go to drink outside of water.

gently caress.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kinmik posted:

Holy poo poo, thanks! These are all super helpful replies, and I think I've just decided on recommending the Suica pass instead. A friend of mine was saying that his Suica was locked and that he now has 8500 to spend exclusively on vending machines. How does that happen?

You can use an IC card at the convenience stores...? The JR Pass pays for itself if you do a round trip on the Shinkansen once. If you use it more than that, congrats, you're coming out ahead. However, if you're just going to take regional rapid service trains and browse around a single urban center, you're better off not getting it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
"I felt as though everything had a strong fishy/seaweed-esque aroma and taste, which I wasn't expecting."

- some white chick on Yelp reviewing a ramen restaurant in suburbia in tyool 2016

On that note, can any one recommend me food to eat in Japan? I am allergic to the thought of fish, legumes, and soy products. Thanks!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Grand Fromage posted:

I ordered Japanese food and they gave me a fish ? ? ?

Hey, I grabbed some Thai food last night and it was really spicy
2/5

http://www.yelp.com/biz/noodle-boulevard-cary-2

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They're technically illegal (much like in the US).

Anyways, read the listing carefully. One of my AirBNBs offered shampoo but there was no shower or bathtub. :toot:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

That's my favorite quake 2 map

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can't buy the JR Pass in country.* The math for a JR Pass comes down to "will you take 2 or more Shinkansen round trips in the span of a week?" That said, they check your passport when you cash in the voucher, so it better say Tourist on it.

* - this is a lie; it'll require you to buy it via a travel agency who will then FedEx it to your hotel/whatever in Japan. It's expensive and dumb to pay $30-45 for shipping an envelope to yourself in Japan.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Great Autismo! posted:

why would you take a surfboard to an onsen

Hanging ten is something that the world must be privy to, brah.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SweetBro posted:

Visiting Tokyo 26th till the 8th. Staying with a friend, but she's going to be busy the first part of the week because she's studying for some exam. I like to drink and party hardy, but mostly want to try some of that hyped up wagyu beef. I'm also complete weeb trash. Anything advice of poo poo to do?

Also, I'm coming from 'Murica. Any advice on what I should do for a sim-card? I don't give a poo poo about voice, but data is pretty important for work reasons.

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/

Also, buy a Suica as soon as possible.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Origin country?

There's more than a few places that rent out bikes, a CB400 was about $100/day (I converted when it was 120JPY to USD back in 2015) when I looked into it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No mention of Florida? Nice.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

caberham posted:

poo poo I JUST CHECK THE CALENDAR, YOU NEED TO BOOK ACCOMODATIONS AND TRAVEL EARLY AND MAKE PLANS. IT'S THE CHERRY BLOSSOM SEASON KNOWN AS HANAMI AND JAPAN IS SO KIREI (beautiful in Japanese) :japan: THERE MIGHT BE A GOON CHERRY BLOSSOM FESTIVAL AS WELL

If you are doing 2 and a half weeks,

You can do the usual Tokyo (4 days) ---> Kyoto ( 3 days) --->

Actually Pay pal me a 100 euros, it's only 50 euros per person and I will write the ultimate trip and try to make reservations for good restaurants

:( :( :( :( :(

Don't make me fly through China :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

Don't book those. Go through ANAs site, I think they'll have something competitive.

You might have to fly from Charlotte though.

I wanted the United since it was a single stop in SFO; 18 hours each way vs 24+. The American/JAL is through Chicago and Shanghai (which both look the same and is an American flight, ughhhhhhhhhh).

It's August and I have a boatload of points coming in, so I'm in no rush to book a ticket.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SweetBro posted:

I don't know Air China with layover to Beijing was cancer. Waited like 2 hours to go through customs/security, and throughout the 11 hour plane ride I couldn't read my ebooks on my phone because chinalaw.

China's actually beautiful, OK?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I also coincidentally happened to play Initial D at the local arcade last night against a guy who was born and raised in Japan and after the match had a lengthy conversation about Japan and his youth as a military brat there which was pretty cool I guess. Are there other games with active persistent nationwide ranking systems like that going on right now in Japan? Apparently you can get a 'drivers' license' specific to Initial D 4 and see how you rank compared to the whole country or just your prefecture.

Prefectures are like the Japanese equivalent of American states but with more federalism/less confederation, right?

You were playing stateside with a 4th Stage machine? I played that back when I was in high school a decade ago.

Anyways, the current version (as the previous ones have been) are internet connected. Same deal where you put in some extra money to get a card with your saved data on it. Unlike the paper thin magnetic cards from 1, 2, 3, 4, etc, 8 is on a credit card sized and thickness piece of plastic. You can have up to 3 cars now, but every so often you need to re-up your card and transfer to a new save card.

There is an online mode and when you sign up, it registers whatever prefecture you're playing in. When you win races, you get a random die roll for parts to put on your Initial D avatar; I think I have angry eyes and blond spiky hair. Also, there are special events that happen where you can get a special limited edition car or cosmetic hairdo. From what I've seen, you get 1 free play per day, too, so if you immediately track down an arcade and get your card set up, you can play throughout your trip to Japan at somewhat of a discount.

Also, the story mode is way way way more varied than the original games. Like within the first 6 stories or so, you have a Don't Spill The Water, Gum Tape Battle (limited steering input), and Drift So Hard You Make Iketani Faint with a heart meter and everything.

Game is good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Jtb-USA

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

CrazySalamander posted:

Japan: That place where Ohio is.

They loving love the place, like everyone says it to you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah.

It's still going to be like a $45 trip one way between cities.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just saw something trying to find a computer equivalent of Hyperdia called Seishun 18; however, gently caress sitting on a train or bus for 9 hours for the Kyoto to Tokyo leg.

You should post up your full itinerary and go from there. I seriously doubt you're flying into Fukuoka and leaving via Narita/Haneda.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How are you getting from Seoul to Japan? I know that there are the ferries.

Port of entry is in Fukuoka?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He's complaining about the JR pass being expensive; however, one way flights are at least ¥5000, then factor in train/bus/taxis to/from the airport, and you're up to at least ¥8000.

I think you can make the JR Pass work, but it's going to require you to get a 7 day one and only activate it after you make it to Hiroshima. I'm assuming you want to spend a week in Tokyo. Also it would help if the yen was a bit weaker.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have to ask...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Drink Sapporo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's true.

Don't be a dumbass like me, make sure you book your hotels before February, I waited like an idiot and then had to scramble to find Airbnbs that weren't out in the sticks or super sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Hikari shinkansen is a 5.5 hour ride from Hiroshima to Tokyo, so keep that in mind.