Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Taking a trip to Japan in July, thinking about heading down to Hiroshima. Anything particularly noteworthy there other than Itsukushima and the Peace Dome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Jake Soo posted:

If you head down to Itsukushima/Miyajima, be sure to climb up Mt. Misen. If you're lazy, take the cable car up (and down) and enjoy the view. Also, be prepared to eat a lot. The shopping arcade there is full of good food, including oysters. If you're not picky about eating oysters, you're gonna love the Hiroshima oysters.

Okonomimura is a must visit place, that place defines mom'n'pop -shops. They offer, Okonomiyaki, what else?

The Shukkeien Gardens are also a nice place to visit. Cute little plants and the largest Carps I've ever seen.

A little known place in the prefecture is Okunoshima a.k.a. the Rabbit Island. A former poison gas R&D site, now populated by hundreds of cute rabbits.

If you want to hang with a goon, we can work something out.

Also, Sanfrecce games are da bomb if you like soccer.

Thanks a lot, that's super helpful. If I do make it down to Hiroshima, I will definitely give you a heads up.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

zmcnulty posted:

Oh a gaijin who speaks no Japanese yet demands a high salary because he is director-level biz dev/branding/PR/made up bullshit? You're hired!

Do listed salaries include bonuses? Because if not then the pay would seem especially low.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
You need to really make some long/a lot of trips on the shinkansen to make the JR Pass worthwhile. You can check train ticket prices at hyperdia.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

JacksLibido posted:

From Osaka I'd highly recommend you do a day trip to Himeji-jo, it's an amazing castle that's been in quite a few movies. It's also one of the few remaining real castles, Osaka castle is cool but AFAIK it's a concrete replica. I also recommend a quick trip over to Kobe as well to have some beef, it's pretty drat good and you get to say you had Kobe beef in Kobe Japan.

If you'd like to see an old historical castle that has been renovated but kept to the old style as much as possible (in other words, mostly empty wooden buildings), check out Himeji-jo.
If you'd like to visit a modern museum that will explain the history of the castle and the Sengoku Period (but it looks like a castle on the outside), then go to Osaka-jo.

Osaka-jo is basically a normal building that's been dressed up on the outside.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Nikko? I don't know what you mean by "on a Suica" since it's pre-paid. You'd want to take a Shinkansen up to Utsunomiya, though, or it will take about 3 hours for the trip to Nikko. About 2 hours by Shinkansen.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Good point. I always went down to Nikko from the north so I forgot all about that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Anyone else attending Fuji Rock this year?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Deltasquid posted:

All right, leaving for Japan tomorrow. Been looking forward to this trip for a good year now.

The 15th and 16th of July we'll be in Hiroshima. I'm wondering if it's a good idea to do a side trip to Fukuoka on the 15th? I've heard there's a festival or something there. And a goon? :) Our plan was to do two days of Hiroshima but maybe one full day the 16th is enough? Or am I stupid trying to cram Fukuoka in at the last minute? (The trip is only like an hour, or so I've read.)

Also, how good is the night transport in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto? Especially Tokyo, our hotel is in Ikebukuro, so I'm wondering how late I should plan our last train to the hotel if at all.

I'm going to be in Hiroshima 15-17 too, going to meet my friend who lives there. PM me if you want to join us, though I'll be getting late on the 15th. Going to itsukushima for sure but no plans otherwise.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Magna Kaser posted:

I am planning a trip to Japan and wanna hit up Osaka and Kyoto and maybe Hiroshima this time. I've heard Osaka is the way cooler of the two if you like food, but a lot of people seem to say Kyoto is worth spending more time in. Would like 4-5 days be too much/not enough for those two? Should I add a day or two to my itinerary and hit up Hiroshima???? For reference, I mainly like to eat food and walk around cities without any clear intent. I'm a jaded, multi-year Asia-liver so rando temples/etc aren't super interesting to me, but nature-y things are p cool.

Osaka is just a regular city without many attractions and Kyoto is basically temple central. If you want to basically just "be a tourist" then you can spend a couple days in Kyoto and basically get through all the major attractions. That will free up some time to visit Hiroshima/Miyajima and also maybe you can look into Nara.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
On the other hand, it's a perfect time to go to some podunk town in the middle of nowhere with nothing interesting!

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Curry :P

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I used to live at the end of the Utsunomiya line on the north end of Tochigi. It's a really nice area. My friend just opened a hostel there in July and I stayed there when I went to visit some friends. Definitely recommend.

chus-nasu.com

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

photomikey posted:

I just booked three tickets for myself, my wife, my daughter to go to Tokyo (NRT) 3/25 - 4/1/17. I think this will be on the early edge of cherry blossom season.

That gives me 7 nights in/around Tokyo.

My first question is how should I split up my trip? I'd like to spend several days in Tokyo and then maybe a side trip somewhere. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

General suggestion for people visiting Japan for the first time is something like half Tokyo, half Kyoto/Nara.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

Definitely visit Nara with a 7 year old. It will probably be a better memory than Kyoto. Kaiyukan Aquarium in Osaka is a great alternative for bad weather (spoiler: hanami season is usually cold and wet.)

I agree, maybe one less day in Tokyo and one more in Kyoto with Nara thrown in. Aquarium is a good call as well.

Hiroshima is beautiful and significant but you don't really have the time for it. Waiting until your daughter is older is best.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

photomikey posted:

She'd love the deer. She'd really like the architecture and Japanese history of the area. I love the idea of Nara.

We'll have the JR pass I assume, so we may just day-trip it in from Kyoto or Osaka.

For the record, I wasn't thinking we'd stay in both Kyoto *and* Osaka, just one, and then maybe day-trip to the other.

I really want to see Hiroshima. I may never get back to Japan. It just seems like a must-see thing, but is there anything there to see?

Make sure you understand which trains you are and aren't allowed to take with the JR Pass, in case you decide to schedule your days tightly.

I would suggest staying in Kyoto and taking a day-trip to Osaka. Or just skip Osaka. I don't think there's anything there you really need to see, even Osaka castle, which is a reconstruction and just a modern building inside; you'll get much better "architecture" in Kyoto. If you really want castle architecture, there's Himeji a bit to the west.

As for Hiroshima, I just went there in July for vacation and basically:
You can't do both the Peace Park / museum and Miyajima in a day. Those are the two main attractions.
I would say that your daughter is not old enough for the museum. It is fairly graphic in areas (showing injured victims) and the other things on display are not of the "WOW!" variety. It's very much a somber and educational experience. While it was incredibly touching and I think an immensely powerful experience that people should see, I simply can't recommend it with your daughter in tow.
As for Miyajima, getting to the island and up to the top, then back down again, will take you the better part of the day. It's beautiful but, unfortunately, I don't think it's doable with your schedule, especially considering travel times.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

photomikey posted:

Thank you for all the help.

I'm super confused about where to stay in Tokyo. It looks from the map like a NYC-style city with LAX-style sprawl.

Can anyone recommend a part of town, or give me some options? I'm into nice hotels, I'm probably in a $150-$250/night price range, and it doesn't have to be western style.

I really would love to try one of the capsule hotels for a night, but with three of us I can't imagine it'd make economic sense.

Staying somewhere on the Yamanote line will probably save you a lot of headache.

Also know that there's two main train systems (JR and Metro) in case you're having trouble making sense of the maps or have trouble finding the Yamanote line (it's JR).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Isn't there a Halloween train party?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

PeePot posted:

Shinkansen to Hiroshima then Miyajima for two days at a Ryokan.
Morning Torii, Daisho-in Temple, hike up Mt Misen, ropeway down. Half day for Hiroshima, Dome and Peace Memorial before heading to Kyoto.

Is your first and second sentence each day? If so, that's a fine plan. Otherwise, the hike up Mt. Misen is pretty steep and if you're not in good shape and can take a while if you're not in decent shape.

It's beautiful up there. The viewing platform at the top closes at 4 so be sure to get up there with plenty of time to take in the sights.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
There are some nice areas in Tokyo for nature (a la Central Park). If you want to spend a couple days in Tokyo, you can easily weave that in to whatever sightseeing you actually want to do in Tokyo.

Nikko is also close enough that you could go there instead of Tokyo or take a day trip from Tokyo.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Matsushima? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsushima

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
How much traveling will you actually be doing on the shinkansen? It's actually not that great of a deal if you're not traveling quite a bit.

For New Year's, most people go home so everything ends up being pretty quiet.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

peanut posted:

December is cold

"Cold" is a relative term. Kyoto's average low-high for Dec/Jan is 37/34-52/46. That's downright balmy depending on where you're coming from.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

T Zero posted:

Good to know on the rail pass. I may fly more than take the train.

I'll be in Tokyo, but planning side trips to Kyoto, Fukushima, Osaka, and possibly Okinawa.

Are there any big festivals in December worth checking out?

Use this site below to check your trips. If you're going back and forth a couple times between Tokyo and Kyoto, Osaka, Fukushima then it may be worth it to get the pass.

MoofOntario posted:

Just to second this, I've never had the cost of the JR Rail Pass work out - you gotta do a fair number of trips in a short amount of time to make it even break even.

There's a cool website where you can put in your itinerary and it tells you out of all the passes (including JR Railpass) if any of them make sense: https://www.japanstation.com/japan-rail-pass-value-calculator/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Nikko?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Go slowly, don't make sudden movements, don't try to brake and turn (well you shouldn't normally, anyway), feather the accelerator (especially when trying to turn), be more aware of inclines, look for ice or slush (which will be slipperier than just dry powder snow) - this is especially important in the morning and evening when things start to melt or freeze respectively.

Chains are almost never necessary and can gently caress up the road so don't do that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Maybe it's possible to have the hotel make the reservation for you now and then confirm the reservation when you check-in?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just did Hiroshima in July and I'd strongly recommend two days there if you want to do both the park/museum and Miyajima. Dedicating a whole day to Miyajima will also give you the chance to see it during both high and low tides.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sand Monster posted:

General question for visiting Tokyo: how difficult is the language barrier? For context, I have some severe food allergies and thus finding acceptable food and ordering in restaurants is a concern when traveling in a foreign country. When I visited Germany, I was constantly reassured, "oh, everyone speaks English, you'll be fine", but I encountered numerous situations (in major cities) where the restaurant employees spoke zero English and I had to do my best via translating the menus and ordering in German. There's also other non-food service situations like train travel and such that I'm also interested in, but my general perception is that the language barrier would likely be more difficult in Tokyo versus my experiences in Germany, and so just looking for any more detail on that.

What allergies do you have? Some allergies are more difficult to avoid than others (I can't imagine how you'd eat in Japan with a soy allergy) but if you list them, we can tell you about specific things you should watch out for that might not be immediately obvious.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I *JUST* listened to a podcast about (red) meat allergy:

https://www.radiolab.org/story/alpha-gal

In this particular case, it's related to tick bites.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Yeah I'll second that you will probably be fine.

If, for example, soy sends you into anaphylactic shock then that's an entirely different matter from trying to avoid meat. Meat broths may be an issue, but I'm sure you're used to that sort of consideration. Peanuts and fruits are generally not mixed in with stuff so you should be able to avoid those pretty easily. Places MIGHT cook with peanut oil but if your allergy isn't severe then you should be okay.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Also when you'll be in Japan, as then there can be suggestions of festivals, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Eh, you'll probably be fine. It'll be hot so a bit of rain might be welcome.

Bring appropriate clothing and it'll be even better (rain-proof bag, jacket, quick-dry pants, appropriate footwear).

Consider going to Fuji Rock if you're into music :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Have you considered a backpacking backpack instead of one of those suitcases?

Don't know your daughter but relying on a 7 year old to ALWAYS drag a suitcase around may be optimistic. Also, having two hands free is always nice. So long as it's frameless or a small internal frame, it will fit in the overhead.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Stringent posted:

Oh and apparently they have the best pizza in Japan, so there's that.

Setting a pretty high bar, there.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

sarujin_nz posted:

Thanks - Yurakucho looks like a good point to start looking into hotels. As I just want a place that I can wander around in the evenings where there is interesting things to look at, or to eat at.
Worst thing that can happen on international expos is being stuck out in a hotel in a business part of town that is dead at night.

Yurakucho is also on the Yamanote line, so you're less than 30 minutes away from main areas Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukuro, etc. Don't feel like you're obliged to stay around Yurakucho.

Tokyo Station area is dead, though, don't stay there.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Rail pass, use something like this to figure out if it'll be worth it or not: http://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

You can't ride the Nozomi between Tokyo and Kyoto. Use hyperdia to check schedules (they have an option to exclude nozomi): http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Also remember that there are multiple train systems and only some of them (i.e. JR ones) are covered by the rail pass. Especially if convenience is your biggest concern, buy a suica card when you get to Tokyo and put some money on it. Then you can just scan in/out of stations instead of buying tickets. It works for all systems, not just JR (for which you can use your rail pass). Worst case scenario, the gate doesn't let you go out and you take your card to the station attendant who will type out how much you owe on the calculator and show you. 2000 yen for 1500 credit.

Again, number one convenient way to get money is bring traveler's checks and exchange at the airport. Rates are reasonable. Other people can probably better guide how much you should bring depending on what you want to do.

Don't bother bringing a dictionary for kanji - a phrasebook or something is infinitely more useful if you're going to be there a week. If you actually speak some Japanese then maybe, but even then my money is on you never using it.

Learning katakana will be better than not knowing it, but I'm skeptical on the effort/reward ratio. Report back with your experience :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I mean, you can just download a Japanese dictionary app on your phone and have that with you. You should then be able to look up kanji pretty easily. There's some apps out there that probably do auto translation, too.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Saikonate posted:

Hmmm.

I'm really confused about this part. Both Google and hyperdia seem to indicate that the Nozomi goes between Shinagawa (in Tokyo) and Kyoto. Did you mean "you can't ride it with a JR pass"? (e: that seems likely, given my original post, I think I just misinterpreted you)

Yeah, I plan on at least that. Kanji are just harder to look up or translate-by-image, especially if they're written in anything but a dead simple font.

Yeah, I did mean you can't take the Nozomi on the JR pass.

As for kanji, if you learn radicals and/or proper stroke count/order, it's a lot easier to look up kanji. Really depends on your Japanese level, obviously. But I think it shouldn't come to that. If you have questions that can be answered quickly (i.e. what is this food) then the staff should just be able to tell you what the reading is and let you type it in to look it up (or they can look it up for you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

sale on Banksy art posted:

That's right. Outside of Tokyo and Osaka I've never dealt with many non-JR trains. Depends on your itinerary.

I was curious so I looked it up.

Of the major private railways listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Japan

I basically took Tokyo Metro Area to be the whole Yokohama/Chiba/Saitama region + whatever is to the west.

Tokyo Metropolitan Area - Tobu Railway
Tokyo Metropolitan Area - Seibu Railway
Tokyo Metropolitan Area - Keisei Electric Railway
Tokyo Metropolitan Area - Keio Corporation
Tokyo Metropolitan Area - Odakyu Electric Railway
Tokyo Metropolitan Area - Tokyu Corporation
Tokyo Metropolitan Area - Keikyu Corporation
Tokyo Metropolitan Area - Tokyo Metro
Kanagawa - Sagami Railway
Nagoya Metroplitan Area - Nagoya Railroad (Meitetsu)
Osaka/Kyoto/Nara/Nagoya/Tsu/Ise/Yoshino - Kintetsu Railway
Osaka/Wakayama - Nankai Electric Railway
Osaka/Kyoto/Shiga - Keihan Electric Railway
Osaka/North Kansai - Hankyu Corporation
Osaka/Kobe - Hanshin Electric Railway
Fukuoka - Nishi-Nippon Railroad

Basically, outside of local travel in Osaka/Tokyo/Nagoya metro area, there are a few tourist destinations where you might take a private rail. For example, Ise is accessed by the Kintetsu line.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 16, 2017