Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Colonel J posted:

I don't think it's standard, not in most recipes I've seen so far. I guess it was implied? I was so caught up in my cooking that I just forgot :v: I honestly didn't think salting your food was that important, but I won't overlook it now.

Salt is incredibly important. You don't want to overdo it -- if it actually tastes "salty," you went too far -- but think of it as a flavor enhancer. It'll make all the flavors sharper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I do not like most processed meat knockoffs, but I just incorporate meatless dishes a lot for dietary and money saving reasons so I can be a bit picky. That also means I can cheat and use animal stock and byproduct because I hate using veggie stock. SA has a bunch of good threads about meatless stuff, and I love curries and the like. The best thing I did was go to stock up on spices from the Indian and Asian market. Adds a lot of versatility to what you can do meatless.

two go-to meatless dishes for me are chana masala (http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/chana-masala/ decent enough recipe to get started - there are def better I just forgot where I saved)

I also love portabellas. Burger is a no brainer, but I love them in the smoker. Amazingribs.com mephis dust on it with some good stoneground mustard til done, slice thin and throw in a pan real quick with homemade bbq sauce and slaw or a couple red onion rings. I honestly prefer to pulled pork at times.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

This sofritas recipe is amazing (if you can get past how annoying the blog writing is).
http://pinchofyum.com/spicy-sofritas-veggie-bowls

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

amethystbliss posted:

This sofritas recipe is amazing (if you can get past how annoying the blog writing is).
http://pinchofyum.com/spicy-sofritas-veggie-bowls

How does this recipe compare to the sofritas @ Chipotle? I love that poo poo and if I can replicate something close at home I'd be pretty pumped.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

This is my Chipotle impersonation sofritas recipe. I found it somewhere on the internet that claimed to have gotten it as close to identical as possible. I dont know how close it is, but I like it

2 Chipotle in Adobo  (plus 3 tbsp adobo sauce liquid)
2 tbsp   oil
2 Cup   water or low­sodium vegetable stock)
1 tbsp Cumin Powder  (toasted)
2 tsp  dried mexican oregano
1 tsp    salt (adjust per taste)
3 tbsp    lemon juice (juice of about 2 medium lemons)
1 tbsp   sugar
1 Poblano Pepper  (roasted on open flame, seeds and skin removed)
2 tbsp   tomato paste
2 cloves garlic

Blend it all together.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Gramps posted:

How does this recipe compare to the sofritas @ Chipotle? I love that poo poo and if I can replicate something close at home I'd be pretty pumped.
It's very close, but even better than Chipotle's :). Seems like the recipe isn't that different than the one Happiness Commando posted.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
Made a really awesome dinner the other night with some shop-bought puff pastry filled with a mushroom-spinach mix.

It was a full bag of spinach and a full punnet of mushrooms sautéed with garlic, salt, fresh thyme, a dash of nutmeg and a slug of mushroom ketchup. Cooked until it was all super dry, then 1/2 carton of cream cheese mixed in. Pop that inside the pastry. Could easily feed 4 and was really delicious and filling.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Here's an alternative seitan recipe. I've been eating it on reubans for like 6 or 7 years.

http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com/2007/04/infamous-seitan-recipe-o-greatness.html?m=1

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Molybdenum posted:

Here's an alternative seitan recipe. I've been eating it on reubans for like 6 or 7 years.

http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com/2007/04/infamous-seitan-recipe-o-greatness.html?m=1

Once it's out of the oven and sliced do you grill it in a pan? What's a reuban?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Colonel J posted:

Once it's out of the oven and sliced do you grill it in a pan? What's a reuban?

Yes you can grill it afterwards, I also eat it hot/cold after the bake.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_sandwich

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

Molybdenum posted:

I have this baking in the oven right now, here's hoping it's as delicious as it smells.

Also an added benefit, I now know how delicious nutritional yeast is. I could eat this stuff all by itself!

Edit: Verdict is in, definitely tasty. The only downside I have is that even though it's cooked through there is a little bit of a "raw flour" smell to it from the wheat gluten. I'll have to see if the refrigerator has any effect on it when I have seconds tomorrow.

Goblin fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 11, 2016

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyone have good suggestions for mushroom based dishes?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Lawman 0 posted:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/07/the-best-grilled-portobello-mushroom.html

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

Stroganoff with white white caps and portobello can be delicious (not vegan, though, unless you substitute something for the milk / cream).

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have any ideas for vegetarian Chinese dumpling fillings that can hold together in a little ball? I'm trying to make a vegetarian form of xiao long bao but I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking shiitake mushrooms and matzo meal, but I'm concerned that the matzo balls would just absorb all the soup.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I had a banana for brekkie and a couple carrots for lunch I guess you could say I've really ... gone vegan :grin:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Nooner posted:

I had a banana for brekkie and a couple carrots for lunch I guess you could say I've really ... gone vegan :grin:

Theres probably a joke I'm not getting here but veganism is more than just diet, it comes with a system of ethics...

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Colonel J posted:

Theres probably a joke I'm not getting here but veganism is more than just diet, it comes with a system of ethics...

Actually it's about ethics in food consumption.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

ShadowCatboy posted:

Anyone have any ideas for vegetarian Chinese dumpling fillings that can hold together in a little ball? I'm trying to make a vegetarian form of xiao long bao but I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking shiitake mushrooms and matzo meal, but I'm concerned that the matzo balls would just absorb all the soup.

The soupy aspect of xiaolongbao comes from gelatin/aspic in the soup that's solid at cooler temperatures and melts into soup when the bao is cooked, right? Would the way to vegetarian-ise them be to use agar-agar in the soup mixture as a replacement for the gelatin?

fake edit: googling vegetarian xiaolongbao seems to bring up recipes that do use agar and recipes that don't so v:shobon:v

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

guys how do i make myself like beans, i just havent been able to do it, like, ever

my wife and i have pretty much switched almost exclusively to vegetarian means when we cook at home, there are a ton of recipes that we cant make because i just cant bring myself to eat beans. its been a long time since i have tried them, but all i can think of is this gross mushy texture that i have in my mind from when i was a kid. i am big on texture and if the texture doesnt jive for me, i just cant eat it.

halp

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

guys how do i make myself like beans, i just havent been able to do it, like, ever

my wife and i have pretty much switched almost exclusively to vegetarian means when we cook at home, there are a ton of recipes that we cant make because i just cant bring myself to eat beans. its been a long time since i have tried them, but all i can think of is this gross mushy texture that i have in my mind from when i was a kid. i am big on texture and if the texture doesnt jive for me, i just cant eat it.

halp

I used to not like beans and now I like them. How? I have no freaking idea.
I do, however, recommend starting with things that do not have that "bean texture" that you dread.
Technically, I'm not going to tell you about beanrecipes now, but other stuff (chickpeas/lentils) that are just as essential for a vegetarian, i think.

- try hummus...try the regular kind and the enormous amount of variations on the internet.
(I like this variation: http://all-food-eats.blogspot.nl/search/label/hummus )

- try sloppy "lentil" joes...in particular: use red lentils instead of ground beef. It's so so great!

Maybe, with either or both of them, if you like them and realise it's the dreaded stuff, you might be able to to convince yourself they're not so bad after all (seriously, they're not so bad, they just need you to make them tasty)

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
If it's been a long time since you've tried them my advice to start liking beans would be to eat some loving beans.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Goblin posted:

Also an added benefit, I now know how delicious nutritional yeast is. I could eat this stuff all by itself!

I put it on popcorn.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

halp

Try different beans. You probably want to avoid kidney/navy/pinto beans for now, as that's probably the texture you're avoiding. Lentils are pretty nice, they're to small to really get mushy, and even if you cook them forever, they kinda become more of a texture of the dish, rather than individual pieces.

Mrs.Nameko
Dec 16, 2015

Mushrooms are the internet of the forest!
Been really loving these buffalo cauliflower recipes! :chef:

Buffalo Roasted Cauliflower Pizza with Chipotle Blue Cheese Avocado Drizzle.
http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/buffalo-roasted-cauliflower-pizza-with-chipotle-blue-cheese-avocado-drizzle/

cauliflower buffalo wings
http://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2014/2/11/cauliflower-buffalo-wings

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
My newly-vegetarianised stepdaughter misses Chicken Parm. The above post has made me start planning a Cauliflower Parm, but what would be a good Chicken Parmesan Analogue?
I've been thinking about Okara. Yeah?
If so, should I just buy it (morningstar makes some I guess?) or try to make it?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Very Strange Things posted:

My newly-vegetarianised stepdaughter misses Chicken Parm. The above post has made me start planning a Cauliflower Parm, but what would be a good Chicken Parmesan Analogue?
I've been thinking about Okara. Yeah?
If so, should I just buy it (morningstar makes some I guess?) or try to make it?

Why not eggplant parm?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

emotive posted:

Why not eggplant parm?

Oh, there will be plenty of eggplant parm.
This project is to try to make the most chicken parm-like vegetarian dish, just as an exercise I guess?

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
I made a great chorizo and bean stew last night using Quorn chorizo. I was expecting to be underwhelmed but it had a surprisingly good flavour and was a really dense protein hit, for much fewer calories and less fat than the original too.

I did have to add some extra garlic and paprika to the sauce as the flavour didn't carry to the other ingredients quite a strongly as the real thing. But we'll definitely be buying again!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Underwater Shoe posted:

I made a great chorizo and bean stew last night using Quorn chorizo. I was expecting to be underwhelmed but it had a surprisingly good flavour and was a really dense protein hit, for much fewer calories and less fat than the original too.

I did have to add some extra garlic and paprika to the sauce as the flavour didn't carry to the other ingredients quite a strongly as the real thing. But we'll definitely be buying again!

I've heard awesome things about Trader Joe's Soyrizo, too -- I still have to pick some up to try.

My two latest finds that I'll be adding to my rotation:
The best black bean burgers I've had so far: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/black-bean-burger/
The best veggie taco recipe I've found: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/06/charred-corn-and-zucchini-tacos-recipe.html

My go to blogs for vegetarian recipes (though not all of them are)
Minimalist Baker
Half Baked Harvest (she eats meat but you can filter for vegetarian recipes)
Pinch of Yum
Love and Lemons
Cookie and Kate
Serious Eats (duh)

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Having a good cookbook is key, in my experience anyway. Here's one that's great:
http://www.amazon.com/000-Vegetarian-Recipes-Carol-Gelles/dp/0025429655/ref=la_B000APTOGQ_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463496923&sr=1-1

Here's another that's also worth trying out:
http://www.amazon.com/Thug-Kitchen-...ds=thug+kitchen

Middle Eastern and Indian (South Asian) cookbooks also have a lot to offer, though depending on the region they'll include meat dishes as well.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
This is dino's cookbook. It is a good book and not just for vegans.
https://secure.pmpress.org/index.ph...tm_medium=email

It's also on amazon but the new cover with the cute cartoon cow might turn some people off. Plus you get the ebook for free if you buy directly from them.

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude
Soyrizo and sweet potato tacos are a perennial favorite in my house.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
The black bean and sweet potato tacos from the OP (minus the bouillon cube) has been a staple in my house since we started eating vegetarian ~2 months ago, so big thanks for that one.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i just ate another banana and then for lunch im going to eat some roasted potatoes and carrots but also some chicken but its okay cause the chicken was dead before I bought it so it doesnt count

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
At my job, I only have a microwave and a plastic bowl (hopefully bpa-free). I took to hoarding canned chickpeas and diced mixed vegetables in a pantry along with some minute rice, soy sauce, peanut butter and sriracha, I can make something quite edible in under 10 minutes in the microwave. I'm going to be content with this for a while, but I'm looking for suggestions to take it a bit further. There's a market right next door so I can get just grab a fresh vegetable on the way, dice it up, throw it in there. It's like a whole new world of cooking. Not sure how healthy it is though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Or you could just take all those ingredients home and cook them there. On a stove. In the kitchen. Where all your other food is, presumably.

Is using your plastic bowl to bring some finished food to work where you can heat it up in the microwave feasible at all?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Or you could just take all those ingredients home and cook them there. On a stove. In the kitchen. Where all your other food is, presumably.

Is using your plastic bowl to bring some finished food to work where you can heat it up in the microwave feasible at all?

I go to work after spending the whole day at school. I would need to bring two lunches, and I already have trouble finding/taking the time to bring one so this is much more useful for me, knowing I have everything I need directly at my job. Its really quite good, maybe not GWS good but for a microwave meal assembled from cans it's fine.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

This is super good and I eat it just on it's own nowadays (but shhhh, it's amazing with roast pork belly). As always with lentils, the biggest thing that makes a difference is enough salt.

210 Puy lentils

1 tbsp red wine vinegar

1 red pepper, finely diced

Small bunch of spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced

3 tbsp olive oil

Bunch of flat leaved parsley

Method;

Rinse the lentils and place in a heavy pan. Immerse in water so that the water level is ~7,5cm above the lentils. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes or so until the lentils are tender

Drain the lentils, keeping 100 ml of the water

Tip the lentils into a serving bowl, toss with the vinegar and some salt and pepper: adjust if necessary…

Salt the red pepper to soften, leaving it to stand for a few minutes before adding as much as you like to the lentils along with the spring onions

Pour the olive oil over the mixture and stir – add some of the drained water if you think it’s a smidge dry

Before serving, sprinkle with the parsley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lhet posted:

That reminds me, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeZlih4DDNg needs to be posted in every meatless thread.

Actually I think this needs to be on every page of every meatless thread

• Locked thread