Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010

fatherdog posted:

If anyone regularly makes seitan, I'd like to hear about it. There's a real paucity of recipes/techniques out there.

I've made seitan a bunch of times using the veganomicon books and it's always come out well. I can type up the recipe later if you'd like it. I've found it always gives quite a nice springy but firm consistency and keeps for a week or so in the fridge.

I've been experimenting with making schnitzels from it recently and they've come out pretty well just using flour/egg wash/breadcrumbs followed by pan frying but you have to be careful not to lose the flavour of the seitan in the oil. I've got some seitan "escalopes" soaking in a Jamaican marinade I made that hopefully will give it some extra flavour after frying.

Marinaded and baked seitan makes a pretty good sandwich filling I've found too, but I'm still trying to work out how to get some kind of smokey taste into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
Seitan is pretty tasty and if you want to make some giant lump of protein to use in things then this isn't a bad recipe:

Seitan ingredients:
1 cup wheat gluten
3 tb nutritional yeast
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tb olive oil
2 cloves garlic, preferably pressed but chopped really fine works too

Broth:
4 cups vegetable stock, 4 cups water
1/4 cup soy sauce

Instructions:

Mix all the dry things in the seitan and separately mix together all the liquids. Pour the wet into the dry and mix. It'll all start to clump up and once it comes together kneed it on a surface for a few minutes until it feels elastic then keep going for another 3-4 minutes.

Next put all the broth ingredients into a pan and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils put the seitan in and turn the hear down. Cover and keep at a lore simmer for an hour. If it boils too strongly it will go spongy, which isn't the worst thing ever but is a bit annoying if you want to do anything else to it. After an hour take off the heat and leave to sit for 15-20 minutes.

The seitan can be eaten now or you can store it in the broth in the fridge for about a fortnight. I've no idea if it would last longer than that as I've never had it stick around that long! I'll be making another batch this weekend and will add some pictures then.

I'm planning on turning the seitan I currently have in the fridge into jerked seitan tomorrow so I'll chronicle my experiment. I think you would be able to change the flavour of the seitan by adding things to the broth you boil it in but I've not gotten around to trying yet.

• Locked thread