Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Space-Pope posted:

not much more to say. it was done over a couple of FPGA boards. did 32-bit addition/subtraction and multiplication, with the multiplier on the second board

input/output was with a PC via a serial terminal. the boards themselves communicated with each other, and was supposed to be RS-232, even if it really was just 4 wires connecting the boards

People used to do this with transistor circuits piled up to build logic gates. FPGAs are magic and I love them. Xilinx?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

love dat story about the fpga and the evolutionary thing that made something work but only due to manufacturing defects and something and not just actual circuitry

I don't know this story!!

Also RS232 is 3 wires (2 if you only need to send data one way). RS232 is easily the most robust serial interface standard, unless you want to talk about it's high voltage siblings.

I'd post a cool picture of the amazing LIM crate setup at SLAC end station A, but iPhoto is horrible and is stupid.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Xilinx is a literal pile of poo poo however it is weird magic poo poo that is the most powerful thing in the world.

• Locked thread