Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
my fatal mistake this year was basically forgetting how strong the pc bias is on sa compared to the general public, which led to things like forgetting about arkham knight and thinking bloodborne would place in the top 3 in multiple categories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Holepunchio posted:

Fuuuuuuck I was not expecting to win. If I get an avatar I'd actually have to post now instead of lurking all the time.

:justpost:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I'm salty about Kojima beating Iwata for worst year and Batman beating MGS V for needed more work. But i got 50th percentile while totally underestimating the Undertale dick riding so i'm happy.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

CJ posted:

I'm salty about Kojima beating Iwata for worst year and Batman beating MGS V for needed more work. But i got 50th percentile while totally underestimating the Undertale dick riding so i'm happy.

Working at Konami is a fate worse than death.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Dying isn't so bad imo.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Ramos posted:

You underestimated how much people would assume people would loving love them some Undertales.

also, hate undertales

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Uhh I don't remember putting Rainbow Six for that one but okay!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I put hating and loving Undertale because I'm a poo poo

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

And it worked!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I did too, because I thought that would be the game that would be the most common opinion even though I never thought it would be poo poo because I was a backer.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 14, 2016

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
drat. I would have had it if I had just banked on Undertale for that last question. Disappointed by MGSV again*.

*Not really, MGSV was the best game that wasn't the Witcher 3.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

That which is most loved is also, by definition, most hated. Such is the way of the world.
Thanks for putting everything together, TheOneAndOnlyT. Perhaps... THIS will be the best game of 2016???
(The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Games forum Sheep Game 2016: )

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
uncultured scrublords, all of you

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dang, Tony Hawk was my original worst game, but then I was reminded of Hatred's existence and switched to it.

Oh well. 251 is... Not the worst score, but I think I'm in the bottom half, despite the Undertale strategy.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I forgot about Undertale and that pretty much killed me.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

gently caress i was so close. I didnt know any other game that got delayed other than Star Fox Zero and that was my downfall. Easy game. I also should have said Kojima instead of Iwata. I didn't actually think the Undertale strategy would win.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I clearly need to play more video games.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:hfive: my Star Citizen bros

:hfive: Any other answer was the wrong answer.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Holy poo poo, I held the lead for 7 loving rounds to blow it like that.

E: 6, whatever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Honestly it's kind of awful to say Iwata had the worst 2015 and I deserve to lose because of it.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Honestly it's kind of awful to say Iwata had the worst 2015 and I deserve to lose because of it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kojima got his own company and now has Sony bankrolling him for a new game, so he ended his 2015 on a pretty good note, despite how bad the Konami breakup was.

Also, for future sheeps I would suggest questions that don't encourage repeat answers since seeing Undertale over and over again is a little boring.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

seiferguy posted:

Kojima got his own company and now has Sony bankrolling him for a new game, so he ended his 2015 on a pretty good note, despite how bad the Konami breakup was.

Also, for future sheeps I would suggest questions that don't encourage repeat answers since seeing Undertale over and over again is a little boring.

I will make sure to vary my answers next time and have more thread participation as well.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I will make sure to vary my answers next time and have more thread participation as well.

So you're expanding to more of the Star Citizen team then, right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

So you're expanding to more of the Star Citizen team then, right?

Yes. And asking very personal questions like "What is your favorite ice cream?" Or "Do you brush your teeth with warm or cold water?"

I feel like those are the hard hitting questions you won't find in Cosmo or Match.com

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

seiferguy posted:

I think that's in large part due to Undertale itself, really, rather than the questions. It was this little indie thing that came out of nowhere for a lot of people and turned out to be amazing and got a ton of attention, and even the people who were feeling hype backlash against it (myself included somewhat) were blown away when they actually played it. Barring a performance like that this year I don't think that'll be a huge problem.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Roland Jones posted:

I think that's in large part due to Undertale itself, really, rather than the questions. It was this little indie thing that came out of nowhere for a lot of people and turned out to be amazing and got a ton of attention, and even the people who were feeling hype backlash against it (myself included somewhat) were blown away when they actually played it. Barring a performance like that this year I don't think that'll be a huge problem.

Well, even without Undertale, it's easy to see a lot of questions that could have repeat answers. Most surprising game & best game of 2015 can easily repeat, as well as good-game-turned-bad could be worst game.

Overall, I think the best way to run a sheep is to have a variety of questions that won't allow for overlap, and have questions that allow for correct answers and hilarious ace answers.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Stuff like Spike Video Game Awards having categories like "Strongest Hero of All Time" could make for some interesting and dumb results.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

seiferguy posted:

Well, even without Undertale, it's easy to see a lot of questions that could have repeat answers. Most surprising game & best game of 2015 can easily repeat, as well as good-game-turned-bad could be worst game.

Overall, I think the best way to run a sheep is to have a variety of questions that won't allow for overlap, and have questions that allow for correct answers and hilarious ace answers.

I do think Undertale made this particular year a unique situation, but there were admittedly a lot of "This was the best/worst [noun] this year" this time around. There could probably be more "This was the most [adjective] [noun]" type questions next time, that would be enough to add some variety. The problem is picking adjectives other than "best" which are still mostly subjective in interpretation.

EDIT: And yeah, as Ramos suggests, don't focus just on the video games and the people who made them. You can focus on things like game characters, game settings, game stories, game gameplay, all kinds of individual aspects that make up the game itself.

Wanton Spoon fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 14, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ramos posted:

Stuff like Spike Video Game Awards having categories like "Strongest Hero of All Time" could make for some interesting and dumb results.

You could just take a page from No. 44 and have that be "THE GOAT MOM FROM UNDERTALE WHOM I WANT TO gently caress".

Also I can't believe I didn't get dead last, what the gently caress.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

widespread posted:

You could just take a page from No. 44 and have that be "THE GOAT MOM FROM UNDERTALE WHOM I WANT TO gently caress".

Also I can't believe I didn't get dead last, what the gently caress.

Props to the answers that guy gave.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Wanton Spoon posted:

And yeah, as Ramos suggests, don't focus just on the video games and the people who made them. You can focus on things like game characters, game settings, game stories, game gameplay, all kinds of individual aspects that make up the game itself.

Most Darksoulsian game of 2016

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Some ideas could be most impactful game (that could be open to interpretation), best story, best sound. Or take a note from the Geoff Keighley awards and have "Most trending gamer".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ramos posted:

We need more teen choice awards

Best kiss
Best on-screen couple
Biggest heartthrob

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Looper posted:

Biggest heartthrob
Don't make me choose between Geralt and Papyrus, man.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Yeah, I think if I do another sheep game it probably won't be based around a single year. The scope is too small, and there's only so many "big" games that can come out in 12 months, so the same games keep coming up for a lot of the questions. I do like the idea of doing a more "arty" sheep game next time with things like best art, best music, best-written hero/villian, etc.

Still, I had a lot of fun running this sheep game and I hope you all enjoyed it as well. :)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
the only problem with categories like "best character" dominating the awards is that most of the questions would end up having like 4 people voting for the same thing at most; there wouldn't be any large swings and the winner would mostly be random rather than someone who got the zeitgeist of the forum

hell, the character question this year probably would've had five or six different undertale characters on top

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sounds good op

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i honestly thought undertale wouldn't get as much of a vote as it did

but i also didn't sheep hard enough with a bunch of my votes

i'll do better next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just glad I only aced on 3 rounds

also no amount of delaying MGS V would have given us the ending we wanted, that poo poo was doomed

• Locked thread