Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Seriously, take a backpacking trip that takes you out at least a few days. I get out to the mountains a few times a year (it really should be more) but three years back I hiked the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada. It links Yosemite Valley with Mount Whitney, 200 miles south. Some breathtaking California backcountry and hiking, as you might expect.

Here's some pretty pictures:

From the summit of Mt Whitney

You know what's really cool about all this? I'm not athletic or special, I just felt like doing a big awesome hike and did it. Chances are you can too! Try planning and training a little but really the logistics are not all that hard and you'll get in shape on the trail to some extent. There are long distance trails all over the world -- in the US the big prestigious ones are the Pacific Crest and Appalachian Trails but there are actually quite a few to choose from. Personally I'm hoping to hike the West Coast Trail, on Vancouver Island, one day.

Talk about your long hikes and ambitions below ok!!

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Levitate posted:

Marie Lake while heading up Seldon Pass I think? :)

Guitar Lake in the lower right, one of the Hitchcock Lakes on the left, Timberline Lake in the middle background

Nice spotting. Yeah, I also have an ambition to do some PCT section-hiking. I wonder if I'm really up to spending a month or more on the trail, but the JMT was just so freaking impressive, and I know that much of the Sierra has great stuff to see too.

Picnic Princess posted:

I've hiked and backpacked Canadian portions of the Great Divide Trail, but would really like to do the whole thing in one go someday.

There's a hell of a lot more, but I just posted pics I took. It passes through a lot of great parks, like Waterton, Banff, Yoho, Robson, and Kakwa. It follows the continental divide, where are the really big peaks are in our Rockies. It crosses over the divide several times through some of the lower passes. It's easy to tell when you're crossing the divide, because it marks the boundary between the provinces of Alberta and BC, and none of the parks cross the border, so there are usually signs that inform you of when you're entering a new park/province.

That is a really nice trail, more west coast hiking for my bucket list!

• Locked thread