Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't done any proper long distance hike before but I've been reading a lot about them recently and the more I read, the more I want to do one.

Luckily I've already planned to do one, the Annapurna Circuit in Nepal. Will be going out in early October. It's just under 200 miles of Himalayan beauty. I mean just look at this:

As well as this I've also been reading a few blogs of people who thru-hiked the PCT and gently caress me, if the hike in Nepal goes well and I don't have any physical issues doing it then I might actually consider doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

buddhanc posted:

NaDy, just make sure you give yourself time beforehand to fully acclimate. When I went through Tibet for a couple weeks, it was pretty brutal in some spots and I was doing as little as possible physically for the first few days. That trip seriously has the potential to be incredible though. The Himalayas are the most incredible sight you'll ever see in person.

Yeah, I've already made a rough itinerary based on other people's experiences and advice which include 3 or so zero days at higher altitudes to get properly acclimated for the day you go over Thorung La pass, which is 5,416 metres (17,769 ft). I really am looking forward to the trip, going to try and get some shorter hikes in beforehand to just get my gear dialled in and get used to walking longer distances. Probably try and spend a few days hiking in the Lake District this spring. Going to have to try and keep my equipment weight down quite a lot as well, since I'm going to want to take my dslr. I can't not go into the Himalayas without taking pictures.

Those are some unbelievable pictures Picnic Princess, gently caress!

• Locked thread