Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

Paths of the Wick should be the name of the thread.

Once you start down the path of the Wick, forever will it dominate your destiny. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

The world is a joke, and humanity is the punchline.

Kobal, Prince of Dark Humor, is Hell's jester and beloved by Lucifer, who allows him to say anything, even if he'd punish anyone else. Kobal perverts humor into mockery, hatred and despair, turning thought into laughter and concern into callousness. He appears dfifferently whenever he manifests, but his demons can always recognize him. Sometimes he is cheerful, but mostly he is depressed and caustic. He prefers intelligent humor and word games to simple gags. He is an Impudite and used to spend a lot of time on Earth, but does so less and less this century. He's heard all the jokes now, he's jaded and getting bored and angry. He only comes out when called or to enjoy some especially brutal practical joke. He is planning to perform the ultimate joke, though he's not necessarily consciously aware of it. When he does it asnd on whom may make the difference in the War. It is dissonant for any demon of Kobal to go a single day iwthout worsening someone's luck by laughing at them or making others laugh at them.

The Demon Lord of Totally Edgy Jokes.

Just when I didn't think this could get more 90's. :golfclap:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

In Nomine, Superior Opinions posted:

(snarky bullshit)

:stare:

Wow, the System Mastery guys were loving spot on when they called out all dumb 90's games for having the same passive-aggressive "what does faction X think of faction Y" kind of poo poo.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Option D, Banestorm

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Doresh posted:

"I do wonder: How can we use a cosmic horror disguised as a clown in our War on Terror?"

"We all float down here, Osama..." :unsmigghh:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

OK, the most hillarious part of this backstory? Caine was jealous of the women having more power than men; Caine was jealous of all the magical power the Circe gave to women but not men and rebelled, which tells us that the real issue at hand here are the thousands of years of discrimination that men faced at the hands of Circe. In fact, the last five thousand years of Patriarchy cannot be seen as traditional oppression by the powerful. Rather, Patriarchy is the lashing out of an abused and impoverished group, and the witches who worship Circe are reactionaries trying to regain their own position of superiority.

Calling it now: Abby Soto isn't a real person, and Bellum Maga is in fact an MRA false-flag attempt to discredit Feminism.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I imagine it comes of rolling on treasure tables, because that's what you do in a lot of old games, if you have a monster with Treasure Type Ψ, you just roll that poo poo.

Be true to the spirit of the game; let the dice fall where they may. Except when it would benefit the players, because gently caress those guys. :smugbert:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bill Webb's Book of Dirty Tricks

TL;DR: gently caress you, you don't get to have fun.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bill Webb's Book of Dirty Tricks

So we learned from the earlier part that Bill Webb doesn't just let you roll to open a secret door: you have to figure out how to do manually/mechanically manipulate the doohickeys in the door to get it to open. He had a bad experience at a con game where the player party was composed of eight elves, which meant that they'd always find secret doors, since OD&D lets elves find secret doors on a 1 or 2 result of a 1d6 roll.

Yeah, when a throwaway gimmick ability for once turns out to be actually useful to the players, that's clearly a bad gaming experience.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kurieg posted:

That isn't even the most hilarious piece of artwork Bellum Maga has to provide.

The antagonists chapter has a piece with a witch giving two supreme court justices explosive diarrhea in front of a Hobby Lobby. No. Really.

It's such a specific and dated reference that it's hilarious in it's pettiness.

This game makes the Inquisition seem reasonable and sympathetic.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

'The seemingly harmless being that's just hanging out in the dungeon turns out to be dangerous!' is the most incredibly transparent D&D cliche.

If you use the AD&D 1E monster books, it'd probably be entirely possible to have an entire dungeon room where literally everything is a monster. The floor? It's a Trapper. The ceiling? A Lurker Above. The treasure chests and all the furniture? Yeah, those are all Mimics. That enchanted cloak hanging off a peg? It's a Cloaker, duh. The forgotten gold coin lying over there in the corner? It's a Lock Lurker. That tapestry on one of the walls? It's a Sheet Phantom.

Oh, running for the door are you? Too bad it's just a 5x5ft alcove containing a Gelatinous Cube. :smuggo:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Doresh posted:

I think it helps to imagine the PCs not as murder hobos, but as medieval fantasy Indiana Jones'.

Be sure to bring a wizard so you can cast Detect Nazis and Otto's Irresistible Car Chase.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Asimo posted:

Rolemaster then? :v:

Rolemaster isn't complicated, it's just...very thorough and tedious. The basic mechanic (roll 1d00+modifiers, high is good) is pretty much the same throughout, if I'm not mistaken. Compared to AD&D with all the unintelligble clutter it's a goddamn shining example of clarity.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

"Secrets of the Juke" coming to stores near you.

The Jukes of Hazzard

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Night10194 posted:

To be fair, the witches probably aren't doing anything to those F-35s; exploding/malfunctioning is their natural state.

Worse: They're using some sort of diabolical transfiguration spell to turn actual fighter jets into F-35:s.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The Astounding Adventures of Killfuck Soulshitter

This needs to be a published supplement, right now. :black101:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Crasical posted:

These two words elegantly sum up why I'm completely sick of 40k.

In particular, why I'm sick of a certain type of online tabletop game board poster who the franchise creates, who peppers their speech with 'Heresy' 'Traitor' and 'Purge' and parrots the 'kill the mutant/heretic/alien/other' slogan of the Imperium any chance they get, and tries to jam the philosophy into completely inappropriate settings.

Yeah, buddy, it's sure edgy that you think we should purge all the elves and dwarves as inhuman scum. You're really a mature and cool individual. I'm glad you came to enlighten us about how all aliens need to be executed via flamethrower in our Star-Trek style scifi setting.

This photoshop feels pretty appropriate.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Traveller posted:

In true '90s fashion, we also get stereotypes of what Clans think of the others. How exciting!

Oh, Snarky Faction Bullshit™, the most glorious of all 90's RPG tropes. :allears:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Who was it that coined the term 'Cogservatism'?

That was me. :eng101:

I think what bothers me the most is that, as was already posted, steampunk doesn't necessarily have to be Eurocentric Aristocrat Action Hour. There's every possibility of actually making something cool and interesting, like the idea of playing Indian sepoys or Chinese boxers using steam-tech to fight Imperialist aggression.

Yet, every single time you get essentially the same drat thing: some variation of the zany pulp adventures of Viscount Archibald Steamington-Smythe against the savages from the Dark Continent.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

I'll look into wrestling games! Based on a perfunctory googling, it looks like the PBTA one is both too good and too new for our purposes, but I bet there's some terrible ones out there.

There was a WWF "Basic Adventure Game" in 1993, but I guess it's pretty hard to find nowadays. On the other hand, it's an early 90's game so it's pretty much bound to be System Mastery Material.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Doresh posted:

Man, I should seriously write a supplement about the Otakumancer class.

(He can cast Flesh to Hug Pillow and Super-deformed Polymorph)

Bigby's Fapping Hand

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

Our first three or so episodes are completely terrible, to be fair.

This made me go back and check, which in turn led to the discovery of the old (2013-ish) Afterthought videos. :allears:

How much money do we need to drop on the Patreon to make you do more of those?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do you have any special memory or call out regarding Arduin Grimoire? That sounds interesting.

If it's the same Arduin I'm familiar with, it's basically a 50-something page booklet full of crazy weird poo poo for OD&D. Highlights include the "Techno" character class that lets you build robots, lasers and spaceships once you hit high levels. Oh, and there's a critical hit chart that specifically mentions your butt getting torn off.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Indeed. But to be fair D&D 1e (which Arduin is really just a variant of rather than its own ruleset) basically set that standard.

This is the best thing.

AD&D 1E Player's Handbook, p. 6:

AD&D 1E Player's Handbook, p.13:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought that the Judges Guild Ready Ref Sheets were impressive from a technical perspective from the same reason that they were basically a bunch of DMG-esque random generation tables, but had to have been laid out by hand.

This table makes it possible for the party to get sexually propositioned by an invisible stalker, which sounds like one of the most interesting encounters in the history of D&D.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Kurieg posted:

So what you're saying is that he wanted you to do the review in order to get press for his Kickstater and now that his Kickstarter is done he wants the review excised from the internet so the game maintains it's "exclusivity"?

He does realize that removing it from Inklesspen's website doesn't magically remove it from SA right?

If anyone's interested in reading about this hilarious shitshow of an RPG, the review starts at page 281 of this thread.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Imagining a kingdom of dragon rappers is honestly way more interesting than the game's actual setup so it probably shouldn't use Dre.

Hc Svnt Dre-cones :smaug:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

So, having listened to the review: I have never seen a game where the true nature of the setting was hidden not only from the players but the GM, that managed to carry it off well. SLA Industries, Insylum, Noumenon, Lacuna, a|state, all of them are just half-baked as a result.

The hidden backstory of SLA Industries will never not be amazing.

The entire setting is just a drug-fueled fantasy dreamed up by a schizophrenic Scottish goon locked up in a mental institution. :catdrugs:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

theironjef posted:

I really want to revisit that but I don't think FATE was going to be the right toolkit for us.

It needs to be a LARP engine, using a crossover between Cyberworld and Cthulhu Live. Come on guys, you know you want to. :v:

(Also, it needs a special video episode featuring you and Jon fully dressed up as Chester Balloonman and The Fuzz)

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 27, 2017

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Welcome to the 90's, where everything you don't like is obviously controlled by the Demonic Nazi Illuminati.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

hyphz posted:

I can't remember if Sailor Moon came before or after the really old 1e of BDSM (the yellow book, not the green book).

50 Shades of Tri-Stat

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Am I missing something, or is this falling below my "I check the library's manga section" level of cultural understanding?

I'm still baffled every time someone living in the present day manages to write yet another game that is all about NeoCyberJapan dominating the TechnoFuture. You'd have to pretend really hard that the past 30 years never happened. :psyduck:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

JcDent posted:

It's more exciting than "Silicon Valley dominating the technofuture"

Well, at least with those settings you don't get a whole lot of :words: about how they rose to dominance because they combined capitalism with ~Ancient European Philosophy~ and ~Western Martial Spirit~.

Also, there'd be no need for a 20-page glossary to explain all the foreign terms game designers love to insert in random places.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

To be honest it isn't as silly that the original authors decided to keep that particular Japanese rendering. French doesn't quite have a direct equivalent to the way gimmick is used here, so it's defensible to use a foreign term, and at that point why use the English one? I mean sure there's a "cool" factor here but it's not as egregious.

That would also make it more evidence that the translation here is a bit lazy. The translator looked at the skill list and translated all the French on it, and left the Japanese... and didn't bother to consider that the "Japanese" skill name is actually English.

e: Or decided to keep the Japanese for "cool" factor which is just as silly.

This right here is what usually happens when game designers try to make a game set in a culture they didn't bother to get familiar with. I mean, who needs actual research when you can just directly translate every third word to make it sound cool and exotic?

"If the characters are in possession of a wakashima-ku, they may use it to gain some sekaishi during the next encounter, provided that the recent mehiyô didn't affect their tsukesaite. If this should lead to zhangwei, however, they may need to reconsider their zatoshinsei. Another approach will be necessary if they wish to retain qingbai when faced with the oncoming unazigimi."

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

unzealous posted:

As for style I’m sure you are already well aware of what is generally expected in a letter, being an individual of class and refined tastes.

quote:

I also found this interesting paragraph that I am copying verbatim as I hope you will find it as amusing as I did.

“One more thing: email. No email! This will kill the atmosphere stone dead. Unless someone deliberately wants to play using a different convention from the other two, and create a vision of today’s world with its Internet, its hurrying around, cell phones, great rushing streams of information, exchanges of brief electronic messages full of verbal static, acronyms, computer slang and the like.

This kind of thing would let them create a world straight out of Conspiracy Theory or The X-Files. But the ease and convenience which the Internet tempts us with are deceptive. If, through sheer laziness, using email prevents you from savouring the game in its traditional paper form, be careful: communicating and expressing one’s thoughts on paper is totally different from e-mail. A letter requires effort, takes your time, your concentration. It’s a sign of your respect for the addressee, too. Email is slapdash trash, full of mistakes, sometimes just tacking a few rushed comments on the end of thoughtlessly quoted fragments from a previous message. Let those who use email as their standard form of communication have a rest from their computers in the evenings when they’re playing De Profundis. Either way, be wary about email, as it distorts communication and our attitude to the addressee.”

:allears:
Does the book come with a free fedora, or is that a supplement you have to buy?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Delta Green also splits up sanity losses into Violence, Helplessness, and The Unnatural. If you lose SAN from Violence or Helplessness three times without taking a temporary insanity or drawing a disorder, you become Adapted to it. You can no longer lose SAN from type, but it brings with it a separate set of penalties since someone Adapted to Violence becomes rather unempathic.

This sounds a lot like the Unknown Armies sanity system, which is really a step in the right direction from CoC:s mental hit points SAN points.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DNA Cowboys posted:

I don't have the exact wording, but it was along the lines of, "If it makes you uncomfortable to portray religion in your game, turn clerics into philosophers of different factions."

Turn/rebuke existentialist is really OP.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

All this sad, furious nerdwanking over Tesla and they still can’t get his first name right. :allears:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

We haven't gotten one supplement in before the Society starts more or less banning material, though a few can be "unlocked" through playing through a set number of scenarios. Some will only be available by the region you play in, but if you aren't in the region a race is available they're be rotating them out-

Don’t worry, I’m sure Paizo will eventually introduce a season pass (a steal at only $119!) that lets you play any race available. Or you maybe you could buy them as individual DLC at $8.99 apiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

they're anarcho-capitalist. Also a total idiot.

no need to repeat yourself :v: