Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hostile V posted:

It's not really an exact thing so much as it's just "yeah more than half of the prisoners died but not everyone died so it's like...y'know, more than half". They can't nail down a consistent ballpark number like they can't nail down a consistent year.

As for if the ship is FTL, poo poo I dunno. They'll tell you that the hull is made of beryllium because of how resistant to the environment and wear/tear it is and explain that the thrusters and rockets are all based on updated Project Orion tech but I guess they can't be assed to decide if FTL exists or not.

Fair enough.
Although I do think the Project Orion things were all sub-light speed so I guess the reactors are powered by unobtanium as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The Ciaphas Cain books already canonized women commissars.

Gaunt's Ghost also feature female Commissars for that part.

But yeah, less said about the fluff in the Scion codex the better.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Servetus posted:

God I love Shadowrun Lore. Hate the system(s), love the lore.

Yeah that's pretty much the opinion between a couple of the players in the SR group I'm in as well. Great lore in a lot of places but my god are the rules such a chore a lot of the time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Last I heard it they were trying to get CTech 2.0 beta tested but how that went I haven't gotten the foggiest.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

There's literally zero art included in the section for Enochian magic, so I'm going to include pictures of the real-life Voynich Manuscript instead. It's a real Unsolved Mystery and I think it's rad as hell.

Actually the mystery of the Voynich manuscript has pretty much been solved now.
https://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/voynich-manuscript-solution/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Incorrect. That dude made his claims without even consulting the librarians who have spent their lives taking care of and studying the manuscript. He has no evidence for his claims regarding Latin abbreviations, and the ones he claims to have found are Latin grammatical nonsense. He can provide no evidence of the claimed indices, which, if they existed in the Manuscript, are not there currently.

It may well be a women's health manual; he is not the first to make this claim, and it's not news. It's one of several strong theories that predate this guy by quite a bit.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/experts-are-extremely-dubious-about-the-voynich-solution/

Ah, go figure. Hadn't seen the Ars follow up article in this case. v:v:v

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Magic is still literally magic in Starfinder, and is separate and distinct from technology, and technology that achieves similar effects.

What technology that does exist to achieve the same thing since NVGs isn't a thing and I'm starting to doubt Geiger Counters are as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

One of the numerous things I really liked about Gamma World. Small weapon? Deals 1dFoo. Big weapon? Does 1dBar. You decide if that telephone pole you're brandishing works off DEX or STR, yourself.

That's how 13th Age does and I like it for that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Presented without comment.

Wait.

Rifts?

Really?

:frogbon:

Wait, so they're listing both the John Carter movie and the Barsoom books? :raise:
Also all of the Honorverse. Which seems weird since starship combat is the least focus of the game compared to those books.
A friend also had a massive laugh about Jack Chalker being recommended reading.

Also Doctor Who. In general. Not any specific episode or season, just all 50 years of Doctor Who
Great recommendation Paizo
And you do it again with both just blanket recommending Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star.

Wait, Wendig's Star Wars Aftermath? :what:

I'm amused that Pacific Rim is being recommended when power armor doesn't seem to be all that good without houserules.
Wait, both Macross and Robotech? Come on here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder when Paizo will announce Urbanfinder. It's Pathfinder, but set in the modern day. Complete with elves and magic!
Because they've already gone to space so they might as well try to corner the Urban Arcana market.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I know the "Nazis escaped to Antarctica and then to the Moon/Mars/Hollow Earth" is a very old thing, but when did it start?

It's not that old actually, going by "Myths of the Third Reich" by Peter Olausson (only available in Swedish as far as I'm aware) the origins for all that is about 1990 when the Nazi Saucer ideas got picked up again after being dormant for a couple of decades after a craze in the 70's.
The origin for the Nazi moon base in this case, going by the book, is a Hungarian named Vladimir Terziski according to the book while the Nazi Mars expedition (a joint German-Japanese one even) stems from the writings of Rafl Ettl and Norbet Jürgen-Ratthofer who were also responsible for inventing a lot of the stuff about Nazi saucers.
They also wrote about a Nazi space expedition to the Aldebaran system apparently where they were going to get reinforcements to help win the war.

Sadly the book doesn't go much into about the Hollow Earth other than mentioning there were a couple of myths about nazi bases in the arctic that had gateways into a hollow earth.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 14, 2017

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

occamsnailfile posted:

But the general tone of 'The Emprah did nothing wrong!' from GW writing these days is pretty off-putting. I could accept the IoM as a lovely place that was the source of all its own worst problems until they started saying 'nuh-uh! they're actually good!' and wiping out that little bit of nuance. Also it is hilarious how every chapter of loyalist marines is described as 'exceptionally fanatical.'

I dunno, the current tone feels to me as it has shifted over to "The Emperor did plenty wrong" based on how he's been depicted in Master of Mankind as well as Dark Imperium.
Which in turn has pissed off a lot of people with the previous mindset because it tore the rug out from under them.

Loomer posted:

Has anyone done a read of Diablo II: Diablerie for the thread yet? It's, uh, something special. It released almost simultaneously with 3E's core books and it really, really shows that the designers were really confused at the time. Like, really confused - there are abilities that don't do anything that basic game mechanics don't already, the classes go to level 25, and spells only go up to level 6.

It's bonkers, and if it hasn't been done I'll try and take a glance over it for the thread.

I've seen that book at least a couple of times in old PDF format but I don't think I've ever actually read it so it'd be curious to see what it has.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

So you've got explanations for the Imperium of Man without having excuses for it.

Yeah the specific tone of the setting has been somewhat lost in favour for the darkgrimness of the grimdarkness over the past decade's amount of writing (even if the issue was really noticeable during 6th and 7th edition, to me at least). Mostly because that's been done and overseen by fans of the original writing in a lot of the cases and sometimes have a tendency to overlook or miss the core tenets of the setting.
It's an issue I also have with the Warcraft setting but at the same time I recognize that as an issue common to a lot of major and long time running settings.
I guess it's just extra egregious with 40k.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ArkInBlack posted:

Frankly this is all you need to know about Wrathion.

Yeah I won't disagree with that notion. Much like a bunch of other characters from the WoD period, bar Khadgar, he's been sidelined and mostly ignored despite mentions that he'll be back.

Kurieg posted:

The World of Warcraft RPG books were worth their weight in gold as setting and lorebooks... before Wrathion and Garrosh's Excellent Adventure happened and someone at Blizzard realized "holy poo poo we need to nail all this poo poo down!" and now they're not canon anymore.

Could've sworn they were classified as non-canon way back as either Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King as they all were based on just Warcraft 3.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kurieg posted:

The World of Warcraft RPG had the Alliance players guide, Horde player's guide, more magic and mayhem, and I think the Kalimdor setting book. Whoever was in charge of the lore bible at the time read through all the books and approved anything that they said. So they were as close to official as you could get.

Oh that I know. I just have vague memories that the books were classified as non canon either around the time the original WoW came out or around some later expansion.

Kurieg posted:

The problem was with white wolf's development cycle and their acquisition by CCP. Dark Factions languished in development hell for years, even though they were working on the Burning Crusade book in the backend. Eventually they were able to convince CCP that releasing a book they had already written would bring in money, and that EVE and WOW didn't directly compete in any meaningful sense, so they weren't 'helping their competition'. Even so they let the license lapse afterwards.

Now that I wasn't aware of really.

wdarkk posted:

WoD was possibly the biggest waste of story potential Blizzard has ever done, without hyperbole. So many opportunities for people to meet their alternate past/future selves and they never once did it.

I admittedly stopped playing the game around Cataclysm (at which point the writing took a massive nose dive in quality after they changed lead writers to the guy whose resume included writing a popular webcomic about the game) so I admitted missed out on a lot of the story in WoD but even then I snapped up a lot of details about how much it had missed the mark.

Cythereal posted:

It's okay, in BfA Wrathion moves in with the Alliance in Stormwind and Ebyssian with the Horde in Orgrimmar so both factions have a black dragon.

Ugh, everything about the main plot for that expansion makes me groan to my core. But that feels like a discussion suitable for another thread entirely.

FMguru posted:

Nerd settings always, always, always screw up the demographics. Always.

Always funny to consider that fact considering you're dealing with game system s that usually involve a lot of numbers being thrown around.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kurieg posted:

You can probably still find the stats for blood elves, draenei, and the blood elf archetype for paladin on an web archive site somewhere. the main line dev posted them to his personal blog back in.. like.. '08 or '09.

Huh neat.

Ratoslov posted:

Just because you're throwing around a lot of numbers doesn't mean you know the first drat thing about numbers.

:thejoke:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Jesus poo poo it was a geocities page.
my eyes

Oh god. :gonk:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kavak posted:

Which one is that?

Assuming Black Templars.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

My reply as at the bottom of the last page, but close: Imperial Fists. According to GW, the Fists are based on Prussia in general and the Teutonic Knights in particular.

Ah, bad timing on my part then.

Night10194 posted:

Though as you can see in the review, the Templars are also psychopaths.

Yeah I know about that but considering how bonkers the Templars are it might just have backfired.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Isn't the default setting for OW in the Jericho Reach or something already? Could've sworn it takes place during that crusade.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

PAGING SYSTEM MASTERY

SYSTEM MASTERY PLEASE PICK UP THE WHITE COURTESY PHONE

I admit that was the first thing I thought of as well when I saw that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eeyup, I was convinced and had a laugh sharing some stuff with friends on skype at the same time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Alternatively, you can just write some female Primarchs. Two unknown ones anyway. That's what I did.

Samus Aran still has a grudge towards Leman Russ.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Do you mean the Imperium in general or do the gigantic post humans actually get out of their power armor long enough to gently caress?

The former in this case. Space Marines have had their sex drive neutered anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

In most games, with the level of granularity they have, you could drop almost all the specific guns for 'pistol, big pistol, assault rifle, SMG no-one uses because in most RPGs it's just a shittier assault rifle since RPGs usually don't model the reasons you'd use one, useless shotgun, useful shotgun, and broken sniper rifle'.

You forgot "cheap but useless sniper rifle" that most l33t sniper characters start with until they get enough money for the latter one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boring lazy planet where the populace is so passive-aggressively lazy that supervillain overlords give up trying to oppress them sounds like a stealth utopia.

I never knew they made a 40k planet just for me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

“Last year,” the biggest attraction was a net formed from octupii connected by their tentacles. Its heads exhaled blue fog while it clung to the side of a glass container and formed geometric patterns with the tentacles. Some theorize that it was a form of communication.

Of course.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Somebody saw Arrival.

Yeah pretty much. The whole communication sentence is just so unnecessary and feels like the author going "Did ya get it wink wink nudge nudge".

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Man, I'd so play a WHFRPG 2e campaign...

WHFRPG 4th ed is due next month I believe. Either later this month or next.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

We dunno if it's good yet!

Seems interesting though from the previews they've posted.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I don't know much about Age of Sigmar, but the "Mortal Realms" setting seems pretty esoteric. For those in the know, does it have potential as an RPG setting?

I feel like not having the more grounded sense of history that you find in the Old World will just make it harder to make it feel lived in. Like, how the heck do people act when they've just been zapped into this arbitrary place? Are there, like, roads there?

GW has spent a lot of time solidifying the setting in preparation for the second edition and I'm quite keen at getting that rulebook just to see how they've done it. Out of 320 pages of the new rulebook apparently half of that is dedicated to lore about the realms.

But like MonsterEnvy mentions there is settlements and such in the middle areas while towards the edges things get weird and very lethal.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah, that game. I remember the original /tg/ thread for it. Best part of it is really the goat spell.

quote:

ORB OF THE ALBINO DOOMGOAT
Level: 8
Element: Dark
Type: Active
Cast: 70
Mana: 140
Range: 10 squares
Area: See text
Group: Invocation
Duration: See text
Stealth: No
Damage: See text

You create a breach in the barrier between dimensions and momentarily allow Say-Tyr to exert his power in the Prime Realm. Say-Tyr manifests as an eight-legged goat the size of a semitruck with white fur. His twelve horns are extremely elaborate and stretch well beyond the back of his body, and are decorated with tattoos and murals. Each of his high priests since the beginning of time has added one new picture to the horns. A shimmering orb of 5x5 squares surrounds him. Say-Tyr will not follow your orders and will do as he pleases. Attempting to command him or use any kind of conjuration-controlling spell will cause him to target you. Otherwise he will under nearly all circumstances charge in a line of 30 squares before disappearing. Nothing can stop him except terrain blocking effects that explicitly say they are immune to damage. Anyone caught in the line takes (Lvl*100)+2000 damage. They can roll a physical resistance check with a -65 penalty to halve the damage. Anyone caught in the orb that surrounds him takes half the normal damage and the resistance check is at -32. Additionally, Say’Tyr’s bleating forces anyone caught in the orb to roll a mental resistance check with a -65 penalty. Success immunizes the target. Failure causes the target to become a goat. This is permanent but can be dispelled normally. If a target is turned into a goat and killed by the damage of this spell, he is permanently killed (in goat form) and his soul is claimed by the Bovidae Dimension to become one of Say-Tyr’s harem. Deafness makes you immune.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

megane posted:

Somebody write up a third-party not-Scandinavia. Norrland or something.

Might almost need to come up with something else. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well that's about the most elaborate mom's spaghetti reference I've ever seen if that is true.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

oriongates posted:

This has to take the cake. Disguising a laser as a rocket-launcher...why!?

Ah but you see comrade, the enemy might expect missile fired at them. But instead they get laser.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wonder if GW took a closer look at Tome of Salvation as they developed the writing for AoS2nd because a lot of the themes that are brought up here show in the newly updated lore but turned to 11 and embodied in Sigmar.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah the Sigmarite entry really reminded me of this side section in the AoS Core book.

Eeyup, that's the one I was thinking of as well in this case.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is also the part where Mors also posts regularly and not sporadic as in many other cases which makes it look like the Ham of War discussions take up a lot more space.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Obviously its a cyberrapier and cybercape. :colbert:
(Turns out Sword and Cape is fighting style that appeared in Renaissance fighting manuals.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I do wish Infinity was available in plastic or resin because they do have some lovely sculpts that I'd love to paint. But at the same time I hate working with metal models which is a bit of a turn off when considering getting them.