Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Changeling: the Dreaming was always centered around "history" nerds, the types that would go to Renn Faires and have a "Ye Olde" time of it. Some of the excess sexuality is just serving the demo of people that camp outside in tents and drink too much.

I've always assumed that the whole otherkin part of the story was a happy accident that the justification vehicle for the game played into not just those people but for anyone that wanted to believe that they 'belonged' not just as something else, but also somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Its amazing that after 20 years of being smacked in the face with how wrong it is for your challengers of the paradigm to use the exact same magic system, the newest Mage has made the satirical subtext the actual text.

Not that I'd want to work to make a serviceable system or alter the justification of a twenty-year old brand.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Strangely, diversity is not equally effective across all encounters

Seems to be the best time to deliver on the two contracts that have the widest differences in application based on what you select... somewhat.

Both the Beast and Elemental Contracts in the Changeling: The Lost corebook allow for the player to select what specific application of "animal" or "element" to specialize in. The animal subtype goes fairly wide, while Elements specifically prevent man-made applications1 from being selected- Electronic Data or Pottery are not allowed. Sadly, the book doesn't specify if an element of Wood is limited to dead material or not.2

Naturally, a purchase of one type (say Sand) proceeds up the chain, but any new types require starting from the bottom- but at a reduced cost.

Elemental Seeming - Contracts of Elements
Tautologically valid. This contract chain is both one of the more expensive contracts and one of the strongest for either Grand Wizard types or your basic thug combat monster.

Cloak Of The Elements
You are protected from the effects of the named element, so long as it is a natural form rather than a weapon-ized form.3 Dead simple Catch of possessing a symbolic representation means you'll often cast this Clause cost-lessly other than the instant action to cast it.

Armor Of The Elements' Fury
THE combat clause that works the same no matter what element you select. You get a flat +1 to armor that stacks with everything and deals half-your-Wyrd to people/objects that touch it, and get a Lethal conversion and a plus half your Wyrd (rounded up) to specific hand-to-hand attack4 that uses Dexterity & Brawling. This results in most Elementals being kung-fu masters.

Control Elements
Within double willpower range you can move an amount of an element around. Element-bending like crashing waves, but also electronic manipulation and rope animation. One of the major places where your element selection determines what you can do.

Calling The Element
Like control elements, but with a visual range to begin with and able to move anywhere within Wyrd x 10 yards afterwards. One of my favorite tricks to create a magic, self-moving motorcycle, since you're constantly moving with the element at rolling speed.

Become The Primal Foundation
You and the items you carry close to you become the element.5 Attacking you as an element is basically impossible and snuffing out your element in an unconventional way only costs 2 Willpower and a forbiddance to not do it again.

Beast Seeming - Contracts of Fang & Talon
A fairly under-powered clause, but as it typical with Beasts, most people interested in having these powers aren't really going for effectiveness.6

Tongues Of Birds And Words Of Wolves
You can talk to animals of your type. Holy crap does this not matter.

Beast's Keen Senses
+2 to Wits and a special type of 'sensation' that you can use argue with the storyteller to give you more information using your always-useful bat echolocation.

Pipes Of The Beastcaller
Another typical White Wolf power, where you ask the storyteller to do provide a crack team of house-cat commandos to slay your enemies with their ability to trip and claw.

Tread Of The Swift Hooves
You get to move faster and more specially. The number of footraces you have ever been in that weren't pre-determined one way or another is probably nil.

Cloak Of The Bear's Massive Form
Nice of them to pre-state what this clause does most of the time. Changing into a blue whale to crush your enemies doesn't have the same ring to it as essentially turning into a werewolf. One of the more unbalanced Clauses, as turning into a bird often doesn't have the same panache as becoming a giraffe.

Next time: Contracts for the Ugly and Pretty.

1 - Some of this might be niche protection between the Wizened and Elemental Contracts, or a deliberate point of contention between the "natural" form of the Wyrd and regular objects.
2 - I would like to vote no, because I'd like to protect the niche of the innumerable vegetable-affecting Contracts coming up in the Court section, but examples are given where living trees are effected by the clauses. Which means someone is going to ask for Contracts of Elements (Flesh) at some point.
3 - "Does the fire clause makes you immune to arson" you ask, 'or just flamethrowers'. My call is yes, but I'm uninterested in games where people burn each-other's houses down. I lean on the example given of a fire-poker being immune'd but a sword not here.
4 - As stated, this means you don't get any bonus to grappling attacks, despite being a Changeling surrounded by spiky shadows. Should your half-Wyrd armor damage stack with your Dex + Brawling + half Wyrd roll? :pcgaming:
5 - Does this make you invisible if you're around your type of element, such as air or water? Yes, this is an argument people have had.
6 - My home-brew solve for this is to throw the summoning aspect into the tongue clause earlier and give it more specific timing rules, give the fourth clause a defensive bonus, and allow the fifth clause to be as weak/strong as the animal selected.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

That Old Tree posted:

I really liked the idea behind the Catches, and the Contracts in general, but Lost is yet another WW game that showcases why "everything must come in lists of five discrete powers" is pretty dumb. There's something to be said of "siloing" information to make character creation and advancement easier, but you're already stuffing a book with 20, 30, 40 pages of just lists of highly idiosyncratic magic tricks, so that advantage starts to erode pretty quickly.

Discrete powers do give the advantage of having very specific limits and applications to those powers, but even when it comes out to a dozen-and-a-half pages in the core book you're always a two-pages-and-an-art away from having another Contract stuffed into another book. Honestly, I've been using it for a decade and so much of the buy-in is already paid off by now, but new players have at minimum three buckets of power lists they can peek through and typically have to get a degree of hand-holding by the storytellers.

And man do I really not have time for tawdry references to lived human tragedies in a nerdy hobby book.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

So beautiful I had to push it over

We all mourn in our own way; I've decided to mourn David Bowie's passing by hitting writing more about C:tL, because one of the two Contracts involve the rockstar/androgynous Fairest seeming, and he's a major part of one of the touchstone references to the game1.

Ogre Seeming - Contracts of Stone
I wish this had a better name, as Stone reminds me too much of the element. One of the major combat Contracts that are all about punching things really, really hard and very little else.2

Might Of The Terrible Brute
A reflexive - as in immediately adding to your roll- roll of Wyrd plus strength with successes stacking to strength at the cost of a Glamour. There's a nice reference to The Princess Bride in the catch (fighting multiple opponents barehanded). Because this strength doesn't stack with Armor of Elements, you'll see a major divide in your combat monsters because of these two parts.

Ogre's Rending Grasp
Kinda, sorta useless way to bash down a door by reducing its durability before going in on its structure.

Display Grandiose Might
Add your Wyrd to your strength for a scene- as long as you don't use it for combat or breaking an inanimate object. The catch explains what this clause is for: becoming a show-off athlete or demonstrative brute. Also good to toss your little buddies over a wall.

Gluttonous Feast Of Health
A major self-heal. An hour of gorging yourself on foodstuffs turns a single aggravated or two lethal into two bashing damage. Anyone who has been around a Werewolf game can tell you that this sort of ability to heal yourself allows players to risk damage and then come back by the next session or time-skip fully ready to go hurl themselves at danger again.

Red Rage Of Terrible Revenge
You hulk the gently caress out, Werewolf style. Each success adds to your initiative, stamina, strength, armor, and non-agg wound penalty ablation. Lasts a combat scene.

Fairest Seeming - Contracts of Vainglory
The "charm person" of the Contracts. Hardly as subtle in most applications, these Clauses are all about using your personal dynamism as a hammer to get your way. Also interestingly, your striking looks merit is not completely useless; you add your "appearance bonus" to the contract roll. Importantly, these clauses allow you to drop your Mask w/o actually hurting your Clarity.

Mask Of Superiority
Wyrd befuddles a target with an aura about you that makes you seem important; perhaps you are a celebrity or a worker's superior many-times-removed or someone "who knows what they're doing". While the Wyrd doesn't inform you who you appear to be to anyone you talk to3, you are given a flat success to attempts to boss the target around.

Songs Of Distant Arcadia
Add your Wyrd to expression & persuasion for the scene.

Splendor Of The Envoy's Protection
You gain an additional +2 to striking looks, and as long as you don't harm anyone or brandish weapons4 ordinary mortals can only block your path instead of attack you; important people5 must roll Resolve + Composure to attack you. Material media cannot capture your true form and mortals will consider your Mien to be a charming costume or person rather than supernatural.

Mantle Of Terrible Beauty
Roll Intimidate + Wyrd v Composure + Wyrd; anyone (other than those in a Motley Pledge with you6) within 3 yards per Wyrd (now or until the end of the scene) either take -2 to attack/harm, or must flee and cannot spend willpower to gain a bonus to rolls/resistance. Also, you get a +2 to intimidate.

Words Of Memories Never Lived
This is a very complex Clause to try and sum up: you perform as an extended roll for each minute, and anyone within earshot (50yds) and they get an idea as you describe implanted into their minds as if it is a fresh memory- lasting until the next sunrise. Examples given are calming a mob or creating one- but this is essentially a classic 'charm person' with everything that describes, and soooo, yeah.

Next time: Court Contracts.

1 - Jim Henson's The Labyrinth
2 - In fact, most of the bonuses/penalties to your clause roll are there largely to reward sudden Leeroy Jenkins actions and punish sneaky silent thoughtful ones.
3 - Meaning the strength of this Clause is partially your ability to cold-read and partially your ST's interest in role-playing the NPC.
4 - I'd like to define harm in the non-physical sense as well and weapons as anything dangerous in my games, but allowing someone to light a match or command someone to attack isn't the worst thing to allow, and actually by-the-book allowed.
5 - nee' Supernaturals, but lets be real.
6 - We'll explain this later, but imagine your party or group of special friends- and remember, you can have more than one Motley Pledge but they ALL protect from this Clause.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 11, 2016

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

It was a couple of pages ago, but re:mage faction worldview, who has it right, etc., I've always had a soft spot for nMage's Silver Ladder:

:smugwizard:

This sentiment, slightly translated, is what I tell players whenever their oh-so 'clever' use of magic applies only according to the mechanical rules of the game rather than as a handwave solution to any problem.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Okay, folks, it's poll time.

I'm nearly done with GURPS Technomancer at this point: just two more posts, in fact, both of which are nearly done being written. While I have a plan for what will replace Hoodoo Blues (hint: it's going to be continuing the work of someone else's FATAL and Friends entries from the past), but I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing in Technomancer's stead beyond another GURPS book because why not. So I figured I'd pose the question to the thread in the traditional fashion many of us have taken to by now.

Option A, GURPS Black Ops: The X-Files from the perspective of the people who go out and shoot the aliens and silence the conspiracy theorists, with a genre shift to action movie and dark comedy on top. It is also very 90s, with those "how Group A views Group B" in-character things you see in World of Darkness and In Nomine, fiction from the perspective of a specific agent of the conspiracy, and The 'Tude.

Option B, GURPS Warehouse 23: Ever seen a show called Warehouse 13? Well, GURPS did it first. And Indiana Jones did it before either of them, but that's besides the point. Warehouse 23 is a weird book that's not partly but not quite an artifact book, a bestiary, and a setting. Also, it has Godzilla in it with his Japanese name stated outright, yet somehow never got in trouble for this.

Option C, GURPS Voodoo: A game that has practitioners of Voodoo as actual protagonists! ...And a magical race war as its premise. Oh.

Option D, GURPS Banestorm: The only GURPS Fourth Edition book on here, mainly because 3E had an assload of books with far more fluff than crunch, while 4E very much flipped that dichotomy and doesn't really have many fluff-heavy genre books and only two real big book settings to speak of. Welcome to a world where the Crusades crashed a generic high fantasy setting, leaving Christian and Muslim kingdoms side by side with elven lands and dwarven empires.

I'm interested in Option C but only if you're interested in threading the needle between righteous anger and "get of load of this poo poo"

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I enjoy that the Beast's veneer of "teaching" is being compared to the rule of law, because nothing is a better argument for the legal system than being compared to those that abuse children extrajudicially, even killing them, because of a decision made by a single person.

Nothing screams horrific points of view louder than trying to grant legitimacy to poisoning children with no appeal, process, or judicious use of force.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

theironjef posted:

Our review wasn't really ask that much about Wick the guy anyway, just a few asides.

So one of our listeners(and a lurker here), just sent us a microwave sized box containing the following:

GURPS Discworld
GURPS Hellboy
Blue Planet (with Moderators Guide and Fluid Mechanics)
Feng Shui
Godlike (with Will To Power and some adventures)
Ray Wininnger's Underground
The Whispering Vault
Underworld
Kobolds Ate My Baby
Nexus: The Whispering City
Kult
Witch Hunter: the Invisible World
King Arthur Pendragon

And what I consider to be the Arkenstone of this hoard, Everway.

Amazingly we didn't have a single one of these yet. So good.

That sounds like some great material for the next year. Lucky you and shout out to the lurker in question.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Nifara posted:

Not done one of these before, but this game needs more love. Like any loving love.

SPELLBOUND KINGDOMS PART 1: WELCOME AND CORE MECHANIC

Dice also explode, but not in the way they do in lots of other games: if you max out a die, you roll the nice die step up as a new die in the pool, but you still only pick the highest number out of all of them. If you think that rolling a 12 on a d12 sounds loving broken, well, Brunner thinks you might think that:

I feel like this game exploded its "fantasy heartbreaker" d12 and busted out the d20 "actually good game" die.

I am locked in on this ride.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

To resolute to be dead!

Charm Person and for Already Charming People

Firstly, we should take a minute to explain Court Contracts here on pg 149. Whereas the General and Seeming contracts served to make players want to get more-or-less more magical in a way that they already were magical, Court Contracts serve as a very rough "class" element.

Court contracts don't come from the Fae- or more specifically, they are said to be based in a promise directly to the seasonal concept to the court's founder. Because of this, instead of using your Wyrd stat, you use your (cheaper to upgrade) Mantle stat1. Further, you are required to possess a Court Mantle of an equal level or a Court Goodwill of two dots higher2 to purchase clauses- both of these are merits, and therefore cheap. However, this does not count for the first Clause; these are "teaser" contracts because Courts like enticing new members. Also to note, is that using a Clause without the appropriate Mantle/Goodwill costs you Glamour when you use it3.

Fleeting stands for the emotion of the court, and Eternal stands for the material goals of the court. Sometimes these don't coincide because :pcgaming: and also because the Courts aren't the products of sane, rational people.

Also, I hope you enjoy natural language as rules text!

Fleeting Spring
Cupid's Eye
You learn one of the target's desires. The bonus chart for this is really silly because it uses what you WILL learn as a source for bonuses- learning what is at the forefront is "easier", but do you get to apply that choice first as you are scanning their brain or not? The catch is plum easy to trigger if you use french style cheek kisses in greeting.

Growth of the Ivy
Charm Person (with all the skeeve it implies), but you are typically only changing a desire rather than creating it- giving reason for the first clause above. The bonus list for this one is kinda funny, seeing as a single success works and you're only using Resolve as a defense. The only real major one is if you are creating a desire out of full cloth; and since an exceptional success makes such a change permanent, having a major penalty actually matters.

Wyrm-Faced Stranger
Disguise self, but only explicitly what the character you are targeting "wants to see the most" i.e. ST fiat. Doesn't alter media pick-up at all. Useful but single-target. Gives some nice avenue to roleplay since the ST hands you a character of their choosing and you have to roleplay it to solve it.

Pandora's Gift
Extended rolls for Crafting (because C:tL is the most Steampunk splat). 10 minutes a roll but can make anything a subject desires and last for at least a scene, even with no useful materials. Kinda useless? Unless you're making something obscenely useful for a single scene, its kinda meh.

Waking the Inner Faerie
So you've altered someone's desires with Growth of the Ivy, but that doesn't MAKE them do it, or make them do anything. But this capper clause makes them do it- period. Abandoning all earthly reasons otherwise, they are going to Steal The Crown Jewels (or whatever).

In sum, this contract chain is really just three that line up to create a Mind Whammy and two just plum useful clauses. Its a running gag that whenever White Wolf forgot what else they wanted a contract to do, they just had it craft something or alter the weather. Speaking of:

Eternal Spring

Gift of Warm Breath
You heal all bashing damage, sleep deprivation, and food/water deprivation. One of the first clause contracts that use Mantle because :pcgaming:, and also because the exceptional lets you gain a pip of Stamina for the scene.

New Lover's Kiss
Catch of "a mortal" saying that it looks like rain. And you make it rain- up to a flash flood. Because Changeling the Lost.

Warmth of the Blood
This will be a long one.

Cost of a Glamour and a Willpower (which, depending on your printing, it something that the catch will pay for or only cover the glamour section)
The catch of "the target has honestly professed a heartfelt and deep love, romantic or familial, for the changeling"

Each success turns Lethal wounds into Bashing wounds, and Bashing wounds go goodbye, with a roll that is Stat + Skill + Mantle (meaning you can sling 15 to 17 dice fairly easily). If you Exceptional, you can convert Aggravated to Lethal (for additional Glamour per Agg3, again)

This Clause is the lynchpin of C:tL and its assumed setting. Healing within combat is difficult and pretty much doesn't exist outside of the Spring Court; and even that healing isn't cheap unless you snag that catch. The entire Spring court becomes everyone's beau or brother because of how, with a fairly minor cost of XP, every character is a major healer. And this archetype is, well, the go-to for most SOs that are dragged into a game, which brings them something to do and also a reason for people to be more than a little nice to them rather than the creepy abusive rear end in a top hat figure that is typical.

If you asked me why, of all nWoD products, C:tL is the most enduringly popular and champion of fan polls4, this elegant piece of a well-thought out mechanic and how it applies to games would be my answer.

Yesterday's Birth
You grow a plant, animal, or human (for an additional cost which includes a willpower and can't be avoided by a catch5) up to a season's worth of growth. Yes, this solves those statutory implications because apparently that was necessary. I mean, its nice to put a way to not just avoid but justify the elimination of prepubescent sexualization... and oh, I guess you get fresh fruit sometimes too. Also, doesn't use Mantle because White Wolf.6

Mother of All Deaths
A nearby plant grapples up to three (sacrificing your instant and defense, respectively) targets with a roll using your Wyrd score. Decent but, well, grappling your opponent isn't the be-all-end-all?

Other than Warmth of the Blood, most of the Eternal Spring is kinda meh. You'll use it when it's useful but they don't often come up. At least Yesterday's Birth chains nicely with Mother of All Deaths if you throw a bag of kudzu seeds on the ground

Next time: Summer's Court Contracts.

1 - This is a nice little toe-dip in an attempt to break the God Stat nature of nWoD games, even though Wyrd is in general always useful to upgrade.
2 - Which means that its impossible for someone to have the 4th or 5th clauses of a Court Contract without having joined the court at some point.
3 - Please decide whether this means catches count for this Glamour cost before you start your game.
4 - When the (most recent) Dark Ages kickstarter polled to see which gameline would get another entry, Changeling won every single time- even when paired with the unpopular Sin Eaters line. By the end, Onyx Path just plain stopped offering C:tL as a choice to let other splats have an opportunity to be included.
5 - Another little piece to show why the first and second printings of C:tL change the game; a catch being mentioned as (potentially) reducing a Willpower cost.
6 - While I don't know that this clause was cut & pasted from a general contract, it wouldn't surprise me.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I thought it was Stolze but it might have ben someone else where the One Unique Thing of humanity was that we are 99.9% as psychicly permeable as a brick, which is quite the advantage as the rest of galactic society is divided between two mind-controlling empires.

Ultimately a lot of the OUTs for scifi writers about humans gets very jingoist American but one step removed, so when it turns out to be that we are hateful unempathic assholes, well...

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I've seen that tumblr post before, buts its mostly useful as evidence of the hegemonic nerd culture sublimating uncritically the silicon valley "fail fast, fail often" mantra. Humanity being essentially X in a universe-wide society is a sweet fruit of temptation for writers to dig their biases into.

Human society is so very diverse that anyone pulling one quality put of it to the pedestal is going to be weird to play through as an RPG.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Terratina posted:

Given the current discussion about meta currency, I'd like to hear the thread's opinion about Fate Points in FATE Core/Accelerated.

I've found during my play of Dresden Files FATE-splat that there is absolutely a separate gameplay-skill being asked of players versus the general 'show up and play' aesthetic. Very close to how players have to adapt to the classic Fantasy Vietnam 10 foot pole and grid style, conceptually. While the rules of the game are being implied the way you phrase and frame your speech generates greater results.