Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There seem to be strong hints that Kobal may be arranging for Haagenti to ascend as the Archangel of Prosperity. That would be pretty funny. And the joke would be on every one of the other demon princes.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Litheroy isn't about obtaining or keeping knowledge, he's about spreading it around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Black August posted:

Because reading all that is hilarious and tells me that every problem in those worlds comes from bad gods and worse wizards.

Wizards are assholes. This is a universal truth across pretty much every setting that includes them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So a starting kyriotate of animals can handle up to 16 swarms of wasps. How much wasp is that in kg?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I could kinda see Bellum Maga as a villain group in a (Council-focused) Dresden Files game. There's this rapidly-spreading group of warlocks with outright gleeful disregard for the First, Second and Fourth Laws. Their adherents are gaining magical power way too quickly, we suspect backing by some entity from the deep Nevernever. Winter Court? Current evidence suggests not. Wardens are urged to clamp down as hard as possible before this becomes a permanent threat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

I'm already crazy enough to consider checking out 2nd Edition because of Planescape and Baldur's Gate, don't make me think that's a good idea!

That's a bad idea.

Still use Planescape but convert it into a decent system first. (Pathfinder doesn't count)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

So why wasn't this the case in 1st and 2nd edition? What changed? If we had an answer for that we'd have the answer to balancing things.

At low levels wizards could cast one or two crappy spells a day. They were useless and were just being carried until...
At high levels wizards dramatically outpaced fighters and were the best at everything.

3.x just made the second point apply all the time, instead of only at high levels.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Davin Valkri posted:

So the best way to handle them is with mining charges? :psyboom:-style?

Then sell the fragments for a fortune on the rare-earths market.
Miners vs vampires!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doresh posted:

[*]Rainbow (Seizure) Spark: A technicolor staff that definitely has an announcer voice and apprently thinks it's the onboard computer of a giant robot.

Reactor: online
Sensors: online
Weapons: online
All systems nominal.

Can we rename her mana stat to 'heat capacity'?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

You don't actually see that many brawls. Fights, yeah, but they tend to involve more shouting and glaring and swearing never to speak to each other again. Then we learn a Valuable Lesson about Friendship and they get back together. Violence is usually reserved for actual enemies.

Except for, say, the second season of Nanoha.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I presumed you don't call yourself a monarchy unless you genuinely let a monarch call the shots. Oops.

"The queen reigns but does not rule. "

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crasical posted:

Mercenaries being injected with magic snake-venom to become shapeshifting snakemen super-soldiers sounds like a good VIPER plot for the next time I run Champions though.

Venom that turns people into superstrong shapeshifters? That's not a very good poison.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If Beast is part of the NWoD aren't 'Heroes' better handled with H:tV?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

^ This is true. It's not that she invulnerable / steel skin, it's that the future in which her throat gets cut will not occur. Something will happen such that she doesn't die. Maybe her husband bursts in with his retainers. Maybe the monster you keep in the basement gets free and you have to run off to deal with it. Maybe she slips the knots and now you have a dramatic swordfight with her.
(Assuming I'm understanding things correctly)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah. It seems like in Spellbound Kingdoms, it makes perfect rational sense for a head of state to murder people to ensure that he and his closest advisers are happily in love, because their love-lives are a vital matter of national security.

Doesn't have to be happily in love - unhappily in love works fine too. As long as you feel strongly about them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think I would like to kill kings.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I bought Spellbound Kingdoms thanks to this threat and have been giving it a look.
Is there any way to increase Heart after chargen? None of the classes give it as a bonus, and that seems to be the only way to increase stats.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doodmons posted:

Nope. Make sure to put Heart as one of your higher stats in chargen because it's not getting any higher permanently. There are a couple of temporary buffs to it using magic or alchemy, but you can't increase it.

No way to get a D10 Heart permanently then. I guess that would be overpowered.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Note that high Inspiration doesn't make you impossible to kill, it makes it impossible to remove you from play (permanently). So maybe they do die, and they're now a ghost! Whoooooo!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Moran's charms are unusual in having no flavour/rules divide at all. At first it looks like it's all flavour text until you realise that the charm does exactly what it says it does.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What just got released?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I've got some Hunters on line one, mister Beast, they say you're full of poo poo and they're far past mere students of the lessons you purport to teach.

"They say they've got a lesson ready for you though. It's about fire."

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the Truile are white (really white, comes from living in the Sunless Waste). Dindavarans are golden-brown, Ulds are very dark and Imperials are a mishmash?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RentACop posted:

Talk To a Girl

Roll +Cool. On a 7-9 pick one *you accomplish your immediate objective *she doesn't think you're a weird creep *you do not run away in humiliation. On a 10+ pick two.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

^ Great Weapon seems to have Whirlwind from Free Sword in place of Devastation.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kavak posted:

I'm just glad she's dressed like a normal person.

I do like that outfit. And the artpiece generally.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doesn't the 'soul being replaced with an ancient evil' thing make them just an unusual type of Host? Rip and tear.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone written up newDemon? It sounds interesting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Daeren posted:

The angel realizes too late that the Machine meant until the house itself turns 21 years old since its groundbreaking and Falls when the reclamation corps arrives.

"That guy who visited a party. According to these records he turned 21 while he was here. That means I've been here against orders for the last 2 1/2 years.
...wait, I can disobey orders?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If I make someone rich and beautiful and successful via a Soul Pact, once I turn them into a Cover does the cover retain all those merits?

It sounds like low-end Pacts could be /really attractive/ to mortals. You could buy someone's crippling medical debt in return for a new car, and the catch is that there isn't a catch. The demon is getting exactly what it wants and so are you.
...the downside being that given how successful that first Pact was is there any reason you shouldn't make another one? And another? Until your life is a hollow shell with almost no content left in it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And the KKK.
(when they were still publicly respected, yet)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Another question about Pacts:
Say I buy someone's children and and apply it as a patch to one of my Covers. She's now childless and always has been, and as far as they remember I've always been their mother.
But what happens to them in the period between signing the Pact and when I use it for something? When it's just sitting around my desk draw waiting to be onsold to another demon or used to build a Cover..

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kerberos Club did something similar with the civil war stalling out and the confederacy surviving, then as they continue to collapse into economic irrelevancy they start turning to blood magic and other extra-evil occult poo poo. Since they've already got the slaves, after all. The Knights of the Circle were basically 19th-century Indiana Jones Nazis for the players to thwart.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the watsonian explanation for everyone running around space with muscle-breastplates and spears?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Covok posted:

If that was true to life, among the many other reasons I should be, I feel bad for greco-roman women of that era.

Might explain why they went for bulls and swans I guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm more impressed by not-Artemis' 275 perk. Just the thing for a recurring antagonist.

It is a little odd though that the cult focused on long-ranged combat will end up 'a few paces' from their opponent. Seems like a good way to get cleaved in twain.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why the gently caress do people live in the Madlands again?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doresh posted:

I've mentioned earlier how BattleTech lets you equip your infantry squads with all kinds of archaic weapons. Naturally, the selection for PCs is a bit big for a futuristic setting.
Unfortunately for all D&D grogs, BattleTech doesn't care much about individual types of polearms. What it does care about is Japanese weapons (except the naginata because that's a polearm). Not only do you get all your favorite types of Japanese swords (even a friggin' Bokken aka a sword-shaped stick), but you get two different Japanese bows, which are essentially just a short- and a longbow who sacrifice some range for more damage.

And in case you're curious: yes, the Japanese swords are better than Western swords because everyone but the clumsy No-Dachi get an Attack Roll bonus. They are a lot more expensive as a result, though.
The book also really, really hates axes, which is why get an Attack Roll penalty. They don't even deal extra damage compared to swords.

Modern melee weapons include various kinds of stun weapons, monowire and your daily dose of vibro-weapons. The Vibrokatana rules supreme of course. They all require energy to work at full capacity, though.
An interesting little weapon is the Medusa Neural Whip. Doesn't have much in the way of armor penetration, but you can add extra power for improved damage.

Can I get a vibro-bow?
Can my mech get a vibro-bow?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Covok posted:

So, wizards.

But with fancier robes.

Do shujenja have awesome hats? This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is anyone planning a FaF of the Savage Rifts someone mentioned earlier? It sounds kinda interesting.