Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

This actually makes me want to see some sort of statistics on F&F up to this point. Longest review, most prolific reviewer, game that generated the most anger, stuff like that.

I can get you the first two (pretty sure they're both Mors Rattus), but the third one would probably have to be outsourced to some grad students to assign responses to the reviews and classify sentiment. (Also, I bet the "winner" would be PurpleXVI's Chris Fields reviews).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

PurpleXVI posted:

And speaking of HSD, I got in the final post for the Extended Core in the last thread before this one got made.

Yep, it got recorded.

That Old Tree posted:

It looks like you missed my tiny Alien Summit review, and also my username changed. (I was Plague of Hats.)

I guess I did skip over that one; can't remember why. I'll go back and grab it for you. I can't do anything about changing usernames, though; SA doesn't provide anything approaching a proper API so I'm literally just downloading the pages and ripping apart the HTML. I get whatever username the forums want to send me. (And I suppose I could pull the userids from the profile button links and correlate them, but usernames go in the writeup URLs and the writeup URLs can't change anyway, so I haven't bothered.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Traveller posted:

inklesspen, I did a one-post thing in the previous thread, just in case.

Yeah, I have it.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Also, Inklesspen, I'm noticing the currently done parts of my GURPS Technomancer review haven't shown up in the off-site compendium. Have you not gotten that far, or were they just lost in the shuffle?

EDIT: If so, they're here, here, and here so you don't have to waste time trying to hunt down my garbage.

I had them under Technomancer; GURPS doesn't appear on the cover art you posted. I can rename it if you like.

As quoted in the OP, I don't always post everything on the archive site the same day as it's appeared here; if it's been more than a week since your post and it's still not on the archives, go ahead and PM me rather than cluttering the thread.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 7, 2016

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Yo, LatwPIAT and Kurieg

I have two content warnings I can put on writeups:

and

Which, if any, do you think applies to your current writeups?

Same question goes out for anyone with prior writeups; if you want me to add one of them for you, just shoot me a PM.

(ARB, you might like to add this as another thing to specify when doing a writeup, i dunno. or we can just go about it via consensus. mostly i just want people to feel safe reading the archives.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hey inklesspen, did you see my response to your thing at the end of the last thread about my reviews?

1) The Apocalypse World and Misspent Youth reviews were completed.
2) I would like the old Torg review replaced in the archive with the "rebooted" one.

I saw the second one. Did not see the first one. I'll get to the Torg stuff "soon", but possibly not this week, sorry.

Both the Apocalypse World and Misspent Youth reviews end with a promise of more posts. Were these posts made? If so, I'll need to add them.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

The last Apocalypse World post is here.

Ah, cool; I picked up in the threads right after the chronologically last post linked to from Syrg's wiki wrangling, around 1/3 of the way into the third thread; anything before that will have been missed. I added this to the Apocalypse World writeup and marked it complete.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Nah, it's cool.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
your link is broken; it was off by one letter: correct link

Also, it still exists on the original site, just under a different url.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Falconier111 posted:

Also, inklesspen, a few requests:

1: Can you include my name post from last thread in the Madlands writeup? I know its not titled right, but I'd like it in there for completion's sake.
2: Where's GURPS Asparagus? I will not have my finest work dishonored in such a way :colbert:
3: Treat yourself to something. Having a working archive again is amazing.

1: Done
2: Yes, but only if you also do a GURPS writeup for something beginning with Z (which is not Zombie). How about GURPS Zinc
3: Nom

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Bieeardo posted:

I'm beginning to think that Brucato's problem is less that he has goofy ideas, but that he presents them as incontrovertible fact with nothing to show how he gets from point A to ~, even while he's busily bloviating elsewhere. I know people who identify as gender-fluid or non-binary, outside of Tumblr even, but I don't know anyone who uses spivaks or any of the rest of the menagerie of nth gender pronouns, outside of fictional contexts like MUCKs and old Star Trek novels. A statement like 'gender is dynamic' is the beginning of a contentious argument or essay, not a misplaced mic drop, and it's an essay that's far too big for an isolated sidebar.

Bieeardo posted:

Cultural attitudes toward gender identity/expression and sexuality were my elective of choice when I studied anthropology an age ago. If I still had JSTOR access, I'd be hunting down papers in that vein today. Tumblr doesn't cut it. Tumblr is just 4chan with a different angle, and both of them really remind me of the great grimdark shift of nerd culture in the Nineties: adolescent rebellion, and lining up to be a unique and special snowflake just like everyone else in the clique they're struggling to align themselves with. There are people I respect, who identify as fluid or non-binary (I don't understand it, but just call me Jack Burton), but I don't think any of them are Tumblrinas. They're not strident enough.

And... gently caress that whole sidebar. I use 'ze' as a literary device sometimes, specifically because it feels alien and othering. Making it sound as if it's accepted practice is deeply hosed up.

Hi, it's me, the genderqueer person who prefers 've' pronouns. (Singular 'they' is for me the grammatical equivalent of fingernails on chalkboard; I use it to refer to the people who request it, but I really dislike it.)

Since I'm sure I'll be asked:

ve pronouns posted:

• he, she, ve (all three share the pattern)
  • his, her, vis (his and vis share the pattern)
  • him, her, ver (her and ver share the pattern)
  • himself, herself, verself
It's kind of tricky at first to remember which pattern to follow, but you can work it out because "vim" is already an English word, so exclude it from the pronoun space.

I also think saying "Tumblr is just 4chan with a different angle" is like saying "SA is just like 4chan" because you looked into GBS and called it a day. There are many different partially overlapping tumblrs, unlike 4chan, because you can choose who to follow and interact with.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 18, 2016

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
People don't always respond to every review, sadly.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

ProfessorProf posted:

Termite
Cuts through steel, burns underwater, handle with extreme caution.

I really hope this was a typo for thermite.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I think the more interesting kind of In Nomine campaign would be the shakeup and fallout from a Prince redeeming or an Archangel falling.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I just broke Mors's In Nomine review into multiple writeups (by book) so I could put the trigger warning on just the demon princes book. I should be up to date with everything in the thread now (except TORG; if someone wants to do me a favor and collect the list of posts since the writeup was rebooted, that'll help lots).

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Well, I let the archive fall a bit behind. In my defense, I was occupied first by sickness, then by a vacation to Mexico City, and lastly by a (successful) job hunt.

Good news is I just rolled out a minor upgrade to the software; something Ettin and Alien Rope Burn were asking for. Now the listed "author" for a writeup can be something other than the name of the person who made the first post. If you want to take advantage of this feature, PM me. I also added a behind-the-scenes improvement to make it easier for me to do the TORG writeup in one fell swoop, once I can clear away some of my other TODOs.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

Is Inklesspen's FNF scraper down? I'm not seeing a lot of the more recent updates on there.

So this was from several pages ago, but basically what happened was I went on vacation. (I will note, the software is written to allow multiple users and I'm happy to teach other people how it works.)

I'm currently caught up with around page 95 or so, and have also published the entirety of Evil Mastermind's new TORG writeup finally.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Covok posted:

For now, at least it appears in my quote text so at least people can read it.

Yo, thanks; I mashed your post together with FR's and it works now for archival purposes.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
After a long period of traveling and moving, the archive is once more fully up to date. I'd like to repeat that there's room to contribute to it: for example, you could help by designing a more readable page layout (because I certainly have no skill at that), or by adding subtitles to reviews (such as Werewolf) that don't have them. Get with me on PM or IRC if you'd like to learn more.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I want to know if there's a Space Trojan War, and if so, what's the Space Trojan Horse.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

This was solved in the first supplement, which added lifepath options for each species that modify the base lifepath.

Apparently this supplement was published for 1st edition, two years before 2nd edition came out. Are there many changes?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Communist Zombie posted:

How often does the site update since it seems to go only up to about the end of July. Which makes me think something broke.

Unfortunately it's not possible to automatically detect which posts belong to which writeup; someone has to go through and click a button for each one, and that someone has to be me. As Molly said, I do it in bursts, since real life is a thing.

Plus it took me a while to come to terms with the idea that Count Chocula genuinely believes being a superpowered sociopathic edgelord is fun and worthwhile as long as you're mostly tormenting rednecks.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
new thread rule: if you restart a writeup you previously worked on, you need to tell me if it's a continuation or a replacement or what.

Wapole Languray, how do you want me to classify your new Talislanta writeup?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Kurieg posted:

You can't copyright mechanics like rolling a d20 to beat a target number. You can copyright rules and terminology like "Strength, dex, con, int, wis, cha"

Only to the extent that there's other reasonable ways to express the same concept. "The stat representing physical strength is named 'strength'" is very likely not copyrightable. That people are represented using six stats, and specifically those six, may be copyrightable, but I wouldn't want that to be my only argument at court.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Hey, it's me, I'm back.

I've had a busy few months in my personal life, coupled with literally not being able to log into the archive admin panel since November. (Also SA changed their page layout slightly and that broke a few things in the code.) But that's fixed now, and I am catching up on my archiving. I'm on page 247 of this thread and moving forward.

I have had absolutely no luck actually reviewing things, though, so I'm marking my old reviews as abandoned. Anyone particularly interested in them can pick them up.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Archiving update: I am now caught up through page 280. If there's anything before that mark that isn't in the archive, it's because I didn't recognize it as a writeup post. (I don't actually read every post in the thread, after all, and if there's no header (night10194 I'm looking at you) I can miss it.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Welp! Got my first take-down request. It's for the "Middenarde" writeup by PurpleXVI, and the guy cites the writeup being based on prerelease content that was supposed to be held in confidence. Dunno how true that is, but I decided to honor his request; probably the only reason folks are reading about that game is for the (very nice) art anyway.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

PurpleXVI posted:

But yeah, take it down if it's any trouble. Also it won't be getting a second look, he told me, since he's going to only release it to his backers now, and otherwise refuse to sell the "final" version.

Hahaha what a pisslord.

Kurieg posted:

FWIW You can mark the Conquering Heroes review as complete. The third Insatiables update was the last.

Okay. I'm on around page 375 or so, and steadily moving forward, btw.

I'd also like to thank everyone who includes a post title at the top of writeups, even if it's just an out-of-context quote of terrible game words like ARB tends to do. Makes my job a lot easier.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Nathan Quill, Star-Lord posted:

Hello Rose!

My (pen) name is Nathan Quill, and I'm the person responsible for the Middenarde kickstarter. Last December, I gave PurpleXVI a draft of my game in search of some feedback on what could be improved, whether it was ready to release, etc. I was not confident at all in it, and what he came up with helped a lot. Unfortunately, without speaking a word of it to me, he also posted all of this to a lot of public forums, including the Fatal & Friends thread on Something Awful.

I won't bore you with the details of "this wasn't even anything close to release," and "I hadn't even handed it to my editor yet," etc. It was a big breach of trust on his part. He also posted a lot of artwork (that my Kickstarter backers paid for!) which was not publicly available yet and not supposed to be. So that's created a huge mess which I am -only just now finding out about-, and I'm going to have to spend a lot of time I'd rather be working on my game cleaning that up.

Which brings me to my point! You're currently hosting that "review" of Middenarde (here: http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/purplexvi/middenarde/), along with all the images he leaked, and such. I'd really appreciate it if you took that down. I hope you understand the position I'm in and are sympathetic.

What I find most unbelievable is that he has an editor.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Joe Slowboat posted:

Hey thread,
I was wondering if I could get a bit of help - I'm trying to hunt down all the F&F reviews of fantasy (or, I guess, SF) RPGs that were explicitly or guardedly Gnostic in concept.

Aletheia is sort of that by way of X-Files and also a fuckton of :catdrugs:

Btw, I'm on page 393 in my backlog now, so to JackMann, Kurieg, Halloween Jack, PurpleXVI, Night10194, I Am Just a Box, and Midjack: aw, thanks!

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 25, 2017

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I am now finally caught up on the archiving. If you have a writeup that is not in the archive, it is mainly down to that I didn't recognize it as a writeup while skimming the page. I don't read every post, so the best way to be sure I notice your post is to do what Alien Rope Burn does: use a banner image and a very obvious post title.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Hostile V posted:

Inklesspen, when you get here, I don't have a problem with you lumping the campaigns underneath Abandon All Hope's page on your site.

Also I don't think there was an Esoterrorist review but if there was whoops my bad.

Noted, and I haven't seen one, respectively.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

I guess it got missed by the archiving.

Yeah I've been skipping over them because they're not very distinguishable from regular posts. I mentioned this before, I think. Please consider adding a banner, or a linebreak after the book title, or something.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Night10194 posted:

Sorry, I thought the bolding at the top would be enough.

E: I am not good with graphics but I'll try to find a way to do a header or cover shot once I have a better connection.

You don't need a header image necessarily. But consider these two posts:

Night10194 posted:

It's pig country because it's infested with wild boars, and also with wild boars that walk on two legs and fight alongside the goatmen, in Warhammer Fantasy: Knights of the Grail

Artois is a dangerous and heavily forested Dukedom in central Bretonnia. ...

Night10194 posted:

Warhammer Fantasy: Knights of the Grail
Pig country is infested with wild boars

Artois is a dangerous and heavily forested Dukedom in central Bretonnia. ...

The second approach has a standardized and standout title/subtitle block. This makes it really easy for me to spot and extract your post (and copy-paste whatever subtitle you want for that particular post.)

That's basically how ARB does it, minus the graphical header:

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rifts World Book 15: Spirit West, Part 11: "All Man-Monsters, regardless of their totem or appearance, are the embodiment of evil, depravity, and insanity — abominations who loathe and destroy goodness, innocence and life."

(Numbered parts are also cool, provided you don't mess up the numbering; helps me be sure I didn't miss a post.)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

SirPhoebos posted:

ARB you should include a "recommended reads" for inklesspen's archives. I just got done reading through Hc Svnt Dracones and it was pure-strained :stonklol:.

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe just an option for people to upvote reviews in the Inklesspen archive, that'd probably be the easiest way to do a "recommended reads"-list.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I was even thinking a tag system like the lparchive has, for when you want [SCI-FI] [GROSS] [RULES DON'T WORK] to drive what you're going to hateread that day.

This kind of stuff is nice in theory but I know for a fact that what will happen is I get emailed by people who want to fight over whether their favorite space furry libertarian game deserves the [NOTHING WORKS LIKE THAT] tag or not.

Not ruling it out, mind. But while I'm happy to handle the actual coding implementation, someone else is going to have to figure out how to make it a system driven by the goonhive consensus or something.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
You're not actually helping, pal.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Putting up a short description of the game being reviewed probably wouldn't hurt. Probably. :raise:

I'd be down with that, but who's going to write them?

Anyways I think I'm caught up with the thread except for whoever's doing the skaven review. I think I still need to get that archived.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 28, 2017

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Hey GimpInBlack, here's some bonus content you might want to review. (Star Wars PATROL)

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

open_sketchbook posted:

(poo poo no it's straight up Sailor Moon in this piece. You choose your powers by customizing your costume!!!!!)

I have myself been contemplating how to make an enjoyable Sailor Moon derived magical girl game, so I am eager to see what you come up with.

Mors Rattus posted:

I actually have a strong argument for Creamy Mami being stealth Gnosticism in magical girl form, but no one cares except me.

I wish to subscribe to this newsletter.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 3, 2017

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Hey mang, just because I find Pathfinder to be a tepid pool of AD&D fanboy jizz that should not stop the charity from getting misguided dollars.

Yeah that's cool, but we have a thread for that. (For RPG "deals", not for fanboy jizz.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I've just marked any writeup which wasn't complete and hasn't had a post since January as 'abandoned'. If this hurts your feelings or if you plan to resume one of the writeups, feel free to let me know.