Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cythereal posted:

Don't be ridiculous. The idea that's in my head about this has nothing to do with friendship, but a newborn series of intelligences starting to develop a sense of maturity and perspective beyond the raw intellect they were created with. I find that vastly more interesting than different flavors of evil AI overlords.

So basically they evolve from "evil AI overlords" to "old-testament God" or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

I saw that cover and assumed it was Unknown Armies art at first.

What channels does the "rear end in a top hat GM" avatar path give you?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

I'm trying to figure out how declaring something Steampunk makes it unusable to everyone else. Everything else had a weird logic, but that one.

They hurt their hands on the unnecessary gears.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Doresh posted:

And then you have those crossover movies, where everyone always looks exactly as old as back when their own show aired.

You could always do "the person ages, the transformed form doesn't" but that can be creepy in its own way.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The main characters of Strike Witches are named after actual historical pilots, one of whom is still alive as of this post.

I really hope nobody told him.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

I can't help thinking of this, after reading that effigy cigar thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHLw2lyLnA8

That was already linked on this page, but it still fits.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

oriongates posted:

Psionic Artifacts of Athas
The Prism Pentad books made the Dark Lens (along with the Pristine Tower) more or less the number one most powerful artifact of Athas. The Lens is the masterpiece of Rajaat, big ugly-pants father of magic himself. The lens is a polished egg-shaped orb of obsidian described as being "about the size of a small kank". That has to be one of the least helpful descriptions ever, considering a normal-sized kank is the size of a large horse or cow. The lens apparently weighs about 170 pounds so...maybe about the size of a person? Who here knows the density of obsidian?

If my calculations with Wolfram Alpha and Wikipedia are right, then it's about 1.13 cubic feet, or 620 times the volume of a standard US large egg.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I hate for my first comment on this to be superficial, but wow, that piece of art

Big Head Mode enabled.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Keiya posted:

Aha, that reminds me: there's, well... there's this on the way:

I think I'm going to have to get my hands on a copy and read it, because while it could be really good or really, really bad, I have a hard time imagining that being bland. If nothing else, I'm a sucker for horse puns.

Why the gently caress not have their own, in-house RPG maker (Wizards of the Coast) do it?

OK, maybe because Hasbro have the same level of trust in WotC that I do post Essentials.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I mean I already had the theory that every kind of Hunter represents a nagging fear that the monsters have. The Union being the fear that 'holy poo poo these people aren't actually sheep after all' or VASCU being the fear that maybe, just maybe, all your magic powers don't actually make you special or above the law, or Cheiran representing the fear that someday someone's going to treat you like you treated humans.

I'm going to need to run Hunter some day.

Yeah all this is making me want to play Hunter.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ratoslov posted:

Speaking of War, I have heard of a hilarious War/Survival build called the 'Disney Princess' where you speak the language of the animals, so every fight has the local animals flock to you and then viciously murder your enemies like a army of elite soldiers.

Well, you've succeeded in making me want to play Exalted.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Or "We appreciate the thought, but try a more subtle approach instead. Mythbusters, not Twilight Zone."

Now I'm picturing a mage using Mind to make a movie studio produce more Final Destination movies because he's having a creative slump.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

FMguru posted:

Have I missed any?

Dexterity as a god-stat?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Midway still happened, so you could have President Spruance who might theoretically be similar to Eisenhower. I don't know anything about his personal politics, but I'm not sure anybody could challenge your claims either.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I'm starting to feel that if a Demon could eliminate all competition and gain enough power, they could become a new God Machine.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Just so you know, this could never happen in their timeline as it's presented in the core book. The Tehran conference was in November 1943 was the and the Yalta conference happened in February 1945, basically after the war would have ended. Stalin was considered untrustworthy because of the whole Molotov-Ribbentrop non-aggression pact and had his requests for opening a second front pretty much denied until after the Red Army pushed the Nazis out of Stalingrad.

Also, I'm guessing Ferdinand Porsche was also a Gadgeteer judging by that tank.

It'd be interesting to do a supers version of the White Rose. Secret identities become a hell of a lot more important when you're dealing with "literally the Gestapo" instead of two-bit hoods.

I'm sure I wouldn't want to use Brave New World for that, though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Youthquake's costumes are terrible. I get that they're supposed to be uniform, but you can do better than that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

What happens if you Go Loud and then use Four Minutes Ago?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Cythereal posted:

America was generally pretty restrained in that regard, though. Except for a few things like Project Habakkuk.

Lots of people don't count the Manhattan Project (or the B-29, or the B-36) as wonderwaffen when they maybe should.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Edit: Double post.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Covok posted:

Isn't there that third school of thought that still shows up in pulp where they got super advanced tech for some reason?

I think describing that with the word "thought" is too generous.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So what are the odds Covenant contains terrible metaplot? 110%?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Crasical posted:

I like how her description calls attention to the fact that Chang is going to incredible hulk her way out of her uniform the instant that she's not being Snuffed.

The illustration, of course, does not show this.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

IIRC there's a way to be active during the day REALLY REALLY briefly so you get a wheelchair and something that totally blocks the sun, have your ghoul push you into the bank, then spend the blood point when he tells you it's signing time.

Granted this sucks because if any of your enemies show up you are unbelievably hosed.

You're also hosed if you have to sign too many things and run out of blood points.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Serf posted:

Are you posting from Bizzaro World

No, we are.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

don't worry I have no faith in the Roma being anything close to 'noble' in whatever terrible remake of that racist rear end book gets excreted out from some european duder.

Don't be surprised if the blood libel gets transposed in.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I own the Slayers d20 book, although I've never played it. The casting system seemed pretty interesting.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's interesting how aware Guardians of Order was of the spellcaster dominance issue relatively early into d20... but they're still never that great at fixing it.

Also, it's worth noting that GoO "spurned" the Slayers fan community, trying to seek out authors that didn't actually know much about the series to avoid "contaminating" it with material from outside of their license (because there was so, so much of it). At least, that's how the scuttlebutt went at the time when I was demoing for GoO.

Slayers is pretty close to Wizard Supremacy: the Setting IIRC.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I liked the dragon lady in the third season but yeah, it goes up its own rear end.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To be fair, you get Damage Resistance, so you'll only die to +1 cats.

The gold dragons in season 3 (other than the protagonist) IIRC had a pretty poor record in combat.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

ZeroCount posted:

Vampire is the only one of the WoD splats where I find the endless condescending stereotype quotes to be good.

Being condescending is like the second most important part of being a vampire.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kavak posted:

Is this a reference to an article I missed?

It's a CineD thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oh wow Goblin Rogue Daredevil.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Simian_Prime posted:

That's the thing about math-intensive games; most of them are just fine when you've got a computer calculating all of the fiddly bits for you. It's why I liked the KOTOR series despite my hat of d20*.

*it know no limit

Ha, I haven't heard that phrase in a while. I suppose there's been no real need to say it for a decade at least.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Didn't Japan also convince all the civilians living on the pacific islands that the americans were going to torture them to death once they took the islands back and the honorable way out was suicide. To the point that the Allies were basically broadcasting "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP JUMPING OFF OF CLIFFS WE ARE NOT GOING TO HURT YOU" as they marched?

Only on Okinawa and maybe the Marianas (although not much), which were actually pre-war Japanese territories. The pacific islanders had a lot of history with Europeans and knew roughly how they actually were.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Wasn't Taffy 3 when miscommunication and general bad decisions by the US Navy lead to a pretty outmatched force facing the Japanese, and then managing to punch remarkably above their weight? In part because they didn't turn and run when they knew they were screwed, but instead started punching and kicking with everything they had, landing blows that made the Japanese think they were in for way more of a fight than they actually were?

Yeah. It's been a while since the mechanics, but could you build a talent that can hit anything with a gun, even if the shot would normally be one in several million? Because there's a story about that in there.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

Basically; in the absence of guns that could match the Japanese they basically settled for speed, subterfuge, and superior fire control.

Among other things, they pioneered the much-hated-in-World-of-Warships tactic of "smoke cloud raining shells at you" using that whole "radar fire control" thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

Is there a thread somewhere for WW2 naval history? That stuff is amazing.

Not exclusively, but if you have any questions throw them here.

And buy the book "Shattered Sword". Trust me on that one.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Well, if the "AI" is still "on" you don't need to murder anyone. We don't know the sleep timer for that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Did I miss the post on the Republic of Japan?