Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Adnachiel posted:

[*]Die für Immer Königin – The remains of the magical forces that backed the Nazis during World War II, led by Ingrid Frieze. Allies with the Followers of Echidna and want to use her awakening as a cover for their taking over the world. Based in Germany near Reinhexxen because of course it is. Google Translate says their name is “The for Everqueen”.
Somebody used Google Translate to come up with it, too. "Die fur Immer Königin" is like "the for ever queen"; it's completely awful grammar. A better way to say it would be something like "die ewige Königin."

megane fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

gourdcaptain posted:

And yet the Exalted 3e books for all that care, still littered with rules ambiguity and the natural language issues. Exalted 3e rules text just drags for me trying to sort through all the fluff in the charms... And then I miss the fluff that's actually rules text.

White Wolf / Onyx Path really really need to do the thing where you write 1) paragraph of fluff, 2) blank line, 3) dry formal rules text. Preferably with the fluff in italics or another font or something. They love giving this huge block of text about how your sword totally looks like a sweet-rear end dragon made of lightning slicing through a block of ice as you shout about retribution or something... and then mentioning offhandedly somewhere in the middle that they don't get to apply their Parry DV to it. Above and beyond the confusion of whether things are rules or fluff (when it says my fury is "unquenchable," are they being poetic, or does that mean I'm actually immune to effects that would quench it?), it also makes it super hard to reference things quickly.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cythereal posted:

"But what gives you the right to hunt us?"
The Hunter answer to this question is to fire your shotgun somewhere around the word "right."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BinaryDoubts posted:

Would just like to thank Nifara for their awesome Spellbound Kingdoms writeup, which got me to pick up the book. After reading through the whole thing, I'm happy to say it holds up - it's a little clunky in places, the warrior class is boring as ever, and there's some little rules niggles that arise from the conversational tone, but on the whole - it's really loving cool. You can tell there's a lot of heart put into it. I'd love to see a v2 that's a little more streamlined with some prettier layout (you can really tell all the sheets were put together with Word's drawing tools...) but doubt that'll ever happen.
I tried putting together some slightly cleaner layouts for some of the styles, just to see how they'd turn out. It's not that hard now that I've got the svg file set up, so maybe I'll do the rest if people think it's worth it.
Free Sword
Great Weapon
Swashbuckler

Double circles mean M, red means (r), squares are balancing moves. I think it's a lot easier to read that way.

This game could be vastly improved with the judicious application of an editor and a layout person, IMO.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Mage: the Awakening, 2nd Edition(Honestly? I'd think that impassioned murder wouldn't be as bad as premeditated murder, but Mage disagrees.)
Well, my explanation would be that this isn't a measure of morality, it's a measure of self-control. Premeditated murder is bad, because (implicitly) a wise Mage would have solved the problem with more subtlety, but aggravated murder is worse, because you lost control -- at least with premeditated murder you presumably considered the repercussions and tried to keep ahold of the situation, which is something Mages should do regardless of how evil they are.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well, if I'm reading the system correctly, that's probably because hitting anything past difficult is enormously unlikely without huge numbers of dice and/or very large bonuses. "Difficult" requires you to roll 15 on one (exploding) die. That means you have to roll a 6, roll another 6 on the explosion, and then roll a 3 or higher on that explosion. That's a 1/54 chance per die; for a 50% chance of hitting that check, you need to roll 37 dice. To hit "amazing" at 20, you need three sixes in a row, and then a 2 or higher, giving you a one in 259.2 chance per die.

Phenomenal, by the way? That's 5 sixes in a row, a one in 7776 chance. Good luck.

megane fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 10, 2016

megane
Jun 20, 2008

FMguru posted:

- Often, little explanation of what your characters are supposed to DO
Related:
- Very few, if any, definitively statted-out threats / monsters / whatever. Those that are provided are often just random things included for flavor reasons, instead of having any sort of "power curve."
- Large numbers of skills, most of which will have little to no impact on a real campaign (painting), but a few of which are vital to combat (dodging), thus encouraging you to dump all your points into the latter.

e: f;b

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Beast really seems to suffer from that weird thing where it seems like they designed the whole game in their heads and never actually sat down and played the drat thing. I dunno about everyone else, but when I play TRPGs it's mostly the whole group going off to confront some problem or complete some goal. Beast seems to expect you to spend the whole time doing the supernatural equivalent of finding lunch. Notice how in Vampire, vampires have to drink blood, but it's almost like a side thing -- a lot of the actual game is about the Camarilla and the Sabbat and generally interacting with other vampires and dealing with politics and whatever. Where is that for Beast?

The telltale sign is in all the "play examples" -- every one is just "[player name]'s Beast is being a dick to [NPC name]." The old lady choking the frat boy, for instance. Is this really the core experience we're going for? One player filling up her hunger bar? Where are the other players while she's doing this? Notice that the rules for gaining Satiety just flatout assume that the Beast did the deed solo, and that it's some kind of deep personal experience for him. And that all the powers you get are for terrorizing mortals (and/or being better than every other splat, but whatever). Does a session of Beast consist of each individual player rolling to notice that Mr. Racket doesn't change the lint trap after using the communal dryer, and then spending the whole session planning to light the guy on fire in retribution?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Barudak posted:

Precinct of Darkness

Police: The Proceduring

Depositions & Dragons

RICO Case: Torment

Crimefinder

Blue Diceless Roleplaying System

Claw & Order: Spectral Victims Unit

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Doresh posted:

But in Gnollish, Acererak is spelled with two K!

And those last Beast entries were very inspiring:

These are great and I really really hope this is a game about hunting down Beasts etc. and then teaching them the meaning of friendship via magical rainbow heart beams.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Doresh posted:

Does this game also have an Otaku Genki? Or a Hikikomori Hentai? It certainly does now in my headcanon.

There's also Shiba Himitsu. Shiba Himitsu's role in the story is that -- to the PCs' shock -- he has a dangerous secret.

Himitsu literally just means 'secret.'

L5R names are silly.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Kavak posted:

VASCU plot hook ahoy!

"Mr. Darius, we have evidence to suggest that, despite appearances, you are in fact a nonliving spiritual entity, between three and seven thousand years old, and that you have acquired the clandestine personal services of approximately 280 religious followers, who refer to themselves as... hm... 'the Cult of Everlasting Night?' Can you confirm these facts?"

"YOU DARE QUESTION THE IMMORTAL SERVANT OF HEAVEN? I HAVE SEEN EMPIRES RISE AND FALL; A MORTAL SUCH AS YOU CAN DO NOTHING TO THREATEN ME."

"Well, that's very nice, sir, but you see, under article 27 subsection 4 of the Jameson Act, religious organizations over one hundred members in size are required to register with the IRS, using form 965 stroke B, which must be countersigned by a notary public and on display at local government offices for at least six months prior to..."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

Nah, anti-bards compose and perform multi-day atonal musical compositions that are only recognizable as music to those of exceedingly rarified tastes and other anti-bards.

John Cage?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Where the heck does the "you can only level up after a full night's sleep" thing come from? Is there something completely game-breaking about having people level up in the daytime or what?

I feel like most of the weird rules that D&D has came from just like, this one argument Gary Gygax had with one player this one time, and Gary was like "no gently caress you you have to sleep to level up" and now it's an Incontrovertible Law of the Universe that every heartbreaker includes out of "realism."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can also easily impart 20 Joules of energy by gently slapping the corpse in the face. In Middenarde it's not significantly harder to wake the dead than it is to wake somebody who's asleep.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Haven't recent editions of Shadowrun reduced netrunning to a single roll or two to break into a system? I thought that happened a while back.

To some degree, yes, to other degrees, no. It's still very much a thing for the decker to say "well, I need to do X on the matrix" and for that to be 40 minutes of him rolling dice while the other players do nothing, because he has to jump grids, break into a host, sneak around, find a file, examine it for a data bomb, remove the bomb, crack it, copy it, and maybe do several rounds of combat in the process. And that's assuming he doesn't run into any problems (which he might), he never has to jack out and try again (which he probably will), and he doesn't dick around stealing paydata and causing trouble purely out of spite (which he absolutely will). Obviously the GM can cut back to other PCs along the way, but all of the above poo poo occurs over the course of like 10 seconds real time, and can probably be done at 3AM from a parked van, if not from the decker's bathroom.

Shadowrun has done a few things to mitigate this; for instance, hacking is easier if you have physical proximity (so that it makes sense to drag the decker into combat), and there are some limited ways for non-deckers to assist in the matrix. But it's definitely still a problem.

Personally, I think a major step towards a fix would be to require physical proximity; you can communicate across the globe, of course, but <insert technobabble here> so obviously the only way to crack into a system and do illegal stuff now is to be within bluetooth range of the target. Of course, that only upgrades him from the Netrunner Problem to the normal Rogue Problem, but it's a start.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Detect Evil" is literally just a Geiger counter.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Really, spiders are great paladin mascots. Patient, diligent, observant, hunting flies and vermin. Gonna play a paladin who wears crazy spikey black armor with spider designs all over it, and constantly has to explain to people that no, really, they're very misunderstood animals, here, have a pamphlet

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Spiderfist Island posted:

3.5 Pact Magic still is super cool even a decade on.

So much interesting fluff, all for one mediocre 3.5 class nobody will ever play.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Well like 99% of Beast material is just "Beasts do (horrible thing). This is good. Heroes do (reasonable thing). This is evil."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The part I don't understand about this, or indeed pretty much any, published adventure is: did the authors just forget that their players have stats and skills and items and poo poo? What if my character is a sewer-dwelling mutant from St. Louis who knows every loving inch of these tunnels like the back of my hand; do I still get lost because my buddy can't make the roll? What if my character is an expert chopper pilot and I decide to fly the helicopter instead of Hal? I guess I crash with no roll, because the adventure can't continue unless we crash on this specific rooftop! Hell, when Plot-Important NPC is monologuing, I pull out my sniper rifle and shoot him in the face. No? I can't? Why not?

And of course, that's all not to mention the idea of the players having a shred of agency or foresight. We need to find out why our allies in St. Louis haven't made it here. We picked up some injured bikers who informed us that St. Louis is swarming with tens of thousands of crazy super-undead. "Uh, okay, job's done I guess. Let's go back." What is the GM supposed to do at that point? "Nope, you don't, because the book says you continue onwards"?

I just can't see how any group could actually play through this whole book. Every group I've ever been a part of would have been miles off the rails halfway through Chapter 1.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ratoslov posted:

The 'Beasts Teach Lessons' thing is really good for one thing, though, and that's inspiring awesome pre-murder one-liners for Hunters.

:regd09: : "I-I was only trying to kill you to teach you a lesson!!"

:clint: : "Don't worry. I got the Cliff's Notes." (drops Beast off a cliff)

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

it's almost like "simulationist" is a term made up by a known (if talented) flake with no clear definition other than "games which aren't dogs in the vineyard"

"Attempting to make the game rules reflect real-world physics, or at least the designer's warped idea of what real-world physics are, especially in pedantic and ineffectual ways." People can misapply it but that doesn't make it unclear.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

13th Age makes me think of a packrat trying to clean out his garage. You know this box of old oven mitts is junk, you know it, but you just... can't bring yourself to throw it out. What if you need those oven mitts some day?? I'll throw out this broken bicycle pump instead, then I'll have space to keep the oven mitt box.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Every single I Dunno Make Something Up feat or power is something that didn't need to be a feat or power, just a normal function of gameplay with a GM.

I *like* 13th Age. It's a better high fantasy d20 if you don't want the prep time and map focus of 4e. But goddamn do I hate when games expect you to take feats to be able to improvise on the fly rather than having a solid 'This is what is worth a feat' mechanic.

One of the examples straight up admits this. "Everyone should be able to do these, but here's a feat you can take if you, uh, want to, I guess."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

The Secret Language better just be 'Malkovich Malkovich? Malkovich!'

Wow I found the original ending, and it's very very White Wolf.
Meanwhile, it turns out that the group hoping to live in Malkovich are being led by the actual Devil himself, in the guise of Mr. Flemmer (the man after whom the Mertin-Flemmer building is half-named). The Devil hopes to get his group into the vessel and use it as a tool for evil - they will rule the world together in the body of Malkovich. But first they have to get Craig out of it. Flemmer comes to Craig in a dream, telling him he must vacate the vessel, but Maxine, who is Craig's producer, tells him that's crazy talk.

I have been to a world that no man should see!

e: Being John Malkavian

megane
Jun 20, 2008

"Varies by individual" is the best part of that chart. We've got detailed statistics on how male humans are innately humbler than females, but vice versa for half elves. But man, if you want to know how well greater demons swim, it depends on the individual, buddy.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

What's that meta as hell Tom Stoppard play that takes the piss out of Agatha Christie mysteries? I saw it performed and it was really fun.

After Magritte maybe?

e: No, it's The Real Inspector Hound, I'd forgotten that one

megane fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 9, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Barudak posted:

Now Im just imaging a game where magic is painfully detailed and consistent and subject to multiple checks just for weak effects while physical activities like "jump" have no checks, the mechanism at work seems totally lost on the author, and it outclass all the magical options many times over.

Jump

School: athletics (mobility); Level: rogue 4, fighter 4, ranger 4

PERFORMING
Performance Time: 1 standard action
Muscles: L

EFFECT
Range: long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: you and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: instantaneous
Saving Throw: none and Fort negates (object); Athletics Resistance: no and yes (object)

DESCRIPTION
You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired – whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this exploit, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three athlete levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dragons have good Str and a breath weapon, but -3 to Naming Stuff Without Sounding Stupid.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Probably "lack of creativity" is also a factor. We have evil elves, and they're distinguished from other elves by being black-skinned and living underground. Clearly we need an evil version of [GNOMES], and they'll be distinguished from other [GNOMES] by, uhhhhhh... Repeat ad nauseum.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was trying to figure out what bugged me as I wrote through this and- it's a group of women almost entirely defined by their relationships to guys. I guess it's trying to be progressive, but it's just kind of weird and vaguely uncomfortable, like Earth-715.

I wonder if Rifts -- it of the ten thousand source books -- even passes the Bechdel Test. For a setting crammed with every crazy thing imaginable from across a hundred universes there sure aren't a whole lot of women.

v That's a good question. Maybe "there are two female characters (example PCs, NPCs, etc.) with stated backstories/motivations etc. that are about each other, rather than about men." There are these twin juicers above, who would've worked fine... but no, they needed a history where they were kidnapped by a man, because ????

Of course the Bechdel Test itself isn't really about specific movies, it's just kind of a statistical thought experiment about movies in general: "Consider how many movies fail this. Why is that?" Tons of cool, inclusive RPGs would fail the thing I described above, and that doesn't imply there's anything wrong with them. The thing is, I dunno if I can name a single one that passes it. Breakfast Cult maybe? Night Witches?

megane fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 25, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

Sanity Score is all three mental stats added together. If this reaches zero - and you will stop having a functioning character long before it reaches zero - you are more or less permanently afflicted with Insanity, the spell from Pathfinder Core. What does that spell? It's the same as the Confusion spell, only permanent. Okay, what does Confusion do? It inflicts the confused condition! Why couldn't they just say going to zero sanity inflicts the confused condition permanently? :iiam:
I guess I've never actually known the rules for confusion before; how has this never come up? But now that I'm reading it, uh... every single round, a confused character has a 25% chance to deal themselves 1d8+Str damage "with item in hand." Not every round in combat, not every round in which they're wielding a dangerous weapon, every round. You have to have an item in hand, since otherwise you'll just "babble incoherently," but it could be, like, a sandwich or something. And insanity is apparently just permanent confusion. So... barring never picking up an item of any kind again, ever, insanity will inevitably cause you to die within minutes, by means of bashing yourself to death with a BLT.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Really the shocking part is that it isn't 2d6 x 5 months.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Uh, it's real simple, guys; you just start a fire, use the fire to boil water into steam, then use the steam pressure to turn a bunch of fans, which counteracts the heat from the fire. DUH. :colbert:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I have no idea who the person who wrote it is supposed to be, but Epyllion is pretty weak design-wise. It manages to miss basically all the good things about PbtA, replacing them with several gallons of weapons-grade fanfiction. One of the reasons why AW and MH are so great is that everything in them, including in particular the list of MC moves and agendas, is tuned towards producing a particular theme. AW's themes are 1) the ubiquity and inevitability of violence and 2) what we're willing to do to survive in times of scarcity. So every single solitary thing in AW is about violence or scarcity or both.*

Epyllion's playbooks and moves, however, are all super-generic. The themes are supposed to be... conflict between the old and the young, and mumble mumble corruption darkness I guess? The Power of Friendship? How are those served by the Crafter, or by any of its moves? It has a move about repairing broken machinery. Why?

Outside of that, good PbtA systems have built-in tension within the group. AW playbooks all need something, and their needs clash. The Hardholder wants peace and protection for her hold, but the Gunlugger wants battles and chaos so he can do his thing and get paid -- remember that the Hardholder's lifestyle is paid for as long as her hold is safe, but the Gunlugger has to shell out cash every session to eat. An AW group can go an entire session without the MC having to introduce outside conflict of any kind, because the mechanics themselves push players to make poo poo happen on their own. Where is that in Epyllion? Every example they give involves some older dragon giving the group a job, or something bad/weird happening and the group acting to stop/understand it. If you, the MC, aren't throwing fights at him, why should your slightly checked-out buddy playing the Warrior do anything but wait?

* A couple of the extended playbooks for 1E stray out of these themes, and those are easily the weakest among them in my estimation.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 26, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I have yet to see one single solitary thing in, what, 50 Rifts books that made me want to play it even a little. How do you write 50,000,000 words about a sci-fi future where all realities collide and have it come out so bland? I mean, the New West is apparently half the size of modern America and consists of nothing but:
  • bandits,
  • native Americans,
  • robot bandits,
  • robot native Americans,
  • magic bandits, and
  • magic native Americans.

People ride horses! There's a 13 + 2d4% chance any given person might own a hat! Wow!

megane fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 9, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Keep in mind, it specifically noted that you also lose purity by experiencing other cultures. That means that even having a friendly conversation with someone of another race actively harms your soul. Imagine how this would work in-game: "By sharing a cup of borscht with Victor, you have sullied your perfect Native American spirit with the White Man's culture, and your totem animal abandons you. Erase that +5% bonus to Identify Plants and Fungi from your sheet!"

I used to have some sympathy for Siembieda; his mechanics are terrible, but being bad at game design is not a moral failing. But this is a whole other thing. gently caress you, Siembieda.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I know Shadowrun at least has a specific action for suppressing fire. I forget the exact mechanics but it gives your target penalties to do stuff. As with everything in SR it's overcomplicated and less effective than just murdering them directly, but whatever.

In general I would do something like this:

You can suppress a target with your gun as an action; if you make an attack using full-auto, you suppress the target for free (even if you miss). If you're suppressed, you have to make some sort of fear/willpower/whatever roll to leave cover, and if you do, the one suppressing you gets a free, clean shot at you. You can shoot without leaving cover, but take a big penalty.

I wonder if anyone's made a system that has tactical considerations like this without it being a grid-and-minis thing. For instance, you don't have to plot out exactly where in the room there's cover; instead, players can roll Find Cover (If you succeed, you get to cover. Roll well and you get Heavy Cover) or Flank (If you succeed, you move in such a way that you get to ignore your target's cover) etc. Armored Commander handles it that way, but I can't think of a TRPG that does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Glagha posted:

I do enjoy the 2E picture of a dude busting a door down by flexing at it but i remind everyone that one of his hands is fuckin backwards.

That way he doesn't take offhand penalties, see.