Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

MonsieurChoc posted:

One of the hardest concepts to understand about Awakening, for some of my friends, was that Magic doesn't follow the laws of physics and as such you can't do bullshit like transforming the floor into super dangerous chemicals to insta-kill everything.

You still kinda can, but you're still rolling Gnosis + Arcana so good luck rolling enough successes to pull off that kind of insta-kill damage.

In Ascension however, feel free to transmute air into cyanide gas or w/e the gently caress you want. Hell, with prime 2 you can conjure objects out of nothing. Unlimited C4 anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Count Chocula posted:

Could you use the rules of Awakening and the setting of Ascension? I want to play/be a Hipster Occultist.

That really is the best username for this thread.

You'll have to sign your name at the Hot Topic Watchtower first.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

My vote is for the Pagan stuff Mors.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Man, unless its possible to tear down the Risk Easter's spire and destroy everything they've built, it doesn't sound like a game I'd want to play. What's the point when the big bad is going to win no matter what you do?

Shame really, some parts of it sounded kinda neat.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Pod Six is jerks.

Total suck pod

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Night10194 posted:

There's a reason the primary question in Hunter is often "What gives you the right?"

On both sides.

This gun and the American Constitution! :clint:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I think they're dialing that back a bit, apparently the Ultramarines Primarch just woke up and went "the hell you guys! I fall sleep for a few thousand years and you all establish a fascist theocracy when I fought for an Empire based on reason and science???"

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

It's actually got some really solid writing though, you should press on with it.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I can smell the Fedora from here.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Down With People posted:

Won't protect them from the Dark Young around the clearing, and if Grandmother gets the jump on them they're hosed. She's got some nasty spells.

But I mean, the reality of the situation is that an investigator who tries to bring a loving Vickers or whatever never got out of Italy. If you try to walk around with a machine gun people will treat you like a person walking around with a machine gun. CoC isn't - or at least shouldn't be - 1920s D&D with the investigators roaming around shooting the Mythos for loot.

Yeah, but how much sanity has the average investigator lost by this point?
Seems to me that they'd be at least unhinged enough to not care about the furtive glances bring cast their way as they do what it takes to survive.

Were I gm'ing the grandmother encounter, I would have given the players the option of recruiting some Romani WW1 vets who just so happen to be able to drive that tank you paid a war museum guard a hefty bribe to for the keys.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

JcDent posted:

Lol if you think that either Serbians or AH had enough tanks to put a Romani in (or had a tank at all). A Maxim gun or French 75, now that's something.

Right, cause in a game where my players are fighting evil nature cults historical accuracy is my number one concern. That being said, any form of artillery works as well.

If you're going to allow for the existence of magic and sanity destroying monsters, it really isn't that much of a stretch to allow for a more significant tank presence in the forces of the central powers

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 10, 2018

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

JcDent posted:

I'll accept existence of Cthulhu before agreeing to competence or tanks on the side of AH.

Besides, when the authors seem to have put so much work into the historical realism of the scenario, it seems cheap to start throwing in tanks for murderhobo meme lolz.

So in the same universe where someone defeated Cthulhtu (temporarily) but running into him with a torpedo boat, shooting a couple shells at Baba Yaga's hut is just "murderhobo meme lolz?" Showing up and shooting some shotguns for one round and doing not much of anything isn't all that fun, blowing it back to space hell sure as gently caress is a lot more interesting.

The setting isn't historically accurate because, I can't believe I have to say this, its got evil outer space gods and black magic cults. Regardless of how much they read wikipedia, their railroad of adventure needs some serious retuning before I'd recommend that anyone play this thing.

Interesting to read though, I'll give it that.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Overall they were pretty poo poo yeah, but the later models were actually not bad on dry land and contributed a lot to the western victory in the Battle of Cambrai. In mud they were pretty poo poo though, and if WW1 had a lot of anything it was mud.

If you wanted to keep things a bit more grounded, any sort of artillery piece pulled by a couple mules would likely do the trick. Can animals go insane?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Nessus posted:

Did Austria-Hungary have 'em? I mean, access to the tanks is another factor.

Yes and no, but mostly no.

Whats interesting is that an Austria-Hungarian inventor actually drafted what was likely the first tank design (the Burstyn-Motorgeschütz in 1911), and in fact was closer in design to WW2 tanks and thus miles ahead of what the British would poo poo out years later. However, Austria-Hungarian military command was unimpressed and declined to put it into production unless the inventor could build one himself and show them that it was worth it. He couldn't quite afford that, and thus it never left draft paper. So it could have happened, and in another world maybe some of them were put into production, but given Austria-Hungary's limited industrial base they never could have been produced in large enough numbers to matter much or change their overall strategy.

Austria-Hungary did however build a few armored cars like the Junovicz Armored Car, as well as a few other prototypes that were built but never saw a production order for their series. it wouldn't be too hard to imagine one of these being shuffled off into a corner somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

Russia
Scotland

These two.