Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Don't do this, you're much better off playing a 3.X straight fighter with splats than anything you can do in Pathfinder. Pathfinder buffed wizards and nerfed fighters, it's actually kind of hilarious. I give 4e crap for trying new things and not getting them right, but that's much preferable to Pathfinder doing nearly everything wrong. I can do a Pathfinder review after this if people want.

We've already had several Pathfinder reviews, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

potatocubed posted:

AGONIST
"A demonic female" (:females:) who hunts the proud and overconfident by tricking them into undertaking stupid activities which make them loathed by all. Not included in the demon section, for no reason I understand. The one in the art has her tits out.

AKESTIC
It's a giant tapeworm which astrally projects its consciousness until it finds someone terribly lonely, then psychically assaults them while pretending to be an emissary of the gods, all with the ultimate end of making them lash out violently at anyone they dislike (and bring them to the akestic to be eaten).

Its intelligence is 'animal'!

Here's the thing: the akestic can project its psychic assault miles away, so I'm not sure how the PCs are supposed to recognise its involvement in events.

The Phantom Tollbooth gets really weird in the last few chapters.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

* I personally have very little respect for the idea that you should be able to carry over your campaign across multiple games, but you do you.

Hey, 9 year old me still hasn't forgiven TSR for invalidating my Assassin in 1989. Oh no wait yes it has because that complaint mattered for like an hour 30 years ago.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The problem is that fighters just don't do poo poo out of combat, but "delete single target" is a viable combat niche.

It's totally a viable niche, one that wizards unfortunately are also very good at.

quote:

Go back to the 2008 messageboards, and there are a ton of "where are my bard/druid/monk" or whatever. I wouldn't expect all -or most - of the abilities to be replicated faithfully, but they should be available.

Ultimately this was going to be a question of degrees. If it hadn't been "Where's my Bard?" It would have been "Where's my Skald?" because 3e made prestige classes such an integral part of the conversation (not that you'd know from either 3.x PHB, neither mentions them.) 4e made the call to keep those, integrate them directly and put them right there in the book along with Epic Destinies so that players could see what the full process looked like instead of having to buy Tome of Battle (or for example wherever Incantantrix was, FR?). Not a perfect solution but the perfect solution was probably an 800 page book.

quote:

It's the fundamental lack of knowledge at the idea that any form of Fourth Edition would not have people screaming about it, because the problem wasn't that the game was WoW poo poo for Babies, the poo poo about it being WoW is the post-hoc justification of the game Being Different. The fact that another company literally ran a campaign about being The Game You Love and insisting that 4E was going to ruin your childhood memories personally, possibly with a blunt object, would have happened even if your mythical Good 4E happened. Blaming 5E and Pathfinder on 4E just not being good enough is to miss the entire reason that Pathfinder succeeded and 5E flailed at trying to regain ground in the most recidivist manner possible.

Right. Also saying it "crashed and burned" is a little weird. It did fine. Each edition has always sold better than the last, 4e included. The notion that it flopped out the game like one of those film reels of old-timey bad airplanes is also part of a narrative that has had a lot of assistance from the internet.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 16, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I was one of the people who hated the changes to magic items going from 2E into 3E. Mostly the idea that they all had a price of some sort. Magical items being for sale just feels like anathema to the idea of a magic item. Once it's something you can pick up at the corner store, it's no longer something particularly exciting, it's just swapping out your +1 model for a +2 model at the Used Sword Salesman's lot, rather than finding something genuinely rare and game-changing.

Then again, a +1 was also worth a lot more in 2E. :v:

(and yes I still think 2E AD&D was the best edition of D&D we've had)

Woof, that's a rough time to have solidified your tastes, I'm sorry. 2nd edition was a cowardly mess that failed to address any of the serious issues with AD&D. All it really did was turn the bard from an insane dual class journey into a bad class, and strip out stuff like Assassin, Half-Orc (gotta appease those Satanic Panic moms), Monk, Alignment languages, and psionics, without stuffing anything new in those holes. Anything inexplicable about 1e is still in there (level caps, multiclassing sitting next to dual classing, druids having to get in territory fights). If it was the best edition it was entirely because that's when a lot of really good writers started adding great new settings. If anything it was slightly worse that AD&D, which at least had a crazy sense of vision to it and knew better than to set the character generation standard to 3D6 down the line.

And the magic item prices weren't gone, they just stuffed them into those Encyclopedia Magica splats. The notion that you absolutely had to go find even the most basic of magical crap suggested you were for sure playing one very specific kind of D&D game, and even halfway through the life of 2nd edition the writers figured out a lot of people wanted to play different sorts.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 16, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pathfinder Unchained

Esoteric Material Components

I feel like players, not being complete idiots, would recognize the importance of wizard spells, readjust loot distribution accordingly, and this would wind up just funneling extra money to the wizard, acting not as a check on the caster, but as a relatively minor net nerf to everyone's gear progression.

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, playing RIFTS™ for several years the group I ran for/with never set foot in the 'Burbs. Or the Coalition proper, really. The reason is everybody was playing the usual RIFTS™-style freak show PC and none of us wanted to leave our cool stuff behind or hide ourselves to the degree necessary. "I'm playing a ten foot tall Rahu-Man Cyber-Knight! I'll hunch over and wear a cloak."

It didn't help that the average description of any given Coalition force was usually "15 perfect mega-men with unerring abilities to detect magic and psionics, better guns than you, and a radio with which they can summon a thousand armies immediately." It was always easier to just avoid CS territory than to make the DM wrangle with KS's bullshit number game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Nessus posted:

They never do clearly explain why Oleg is the way he is.

Pretty sure 3 had a backstory bit for Oleg that showed him floating in a scientist's water tank or something so we know he's a secret Kremlin experiment.

Also not that I don't love the saints but if I'm painting Space Marines into a gang it's gonna involve facepaint and baseball bats. Then I'll paint my scouts up like the Punks and my bikes up like the Gramercy Riffs.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 29, 2018

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Nessus posted:

A secret Kremlin experiment INVOLVING THE GENESEED?

I think the Eldar Harlequins are a better take for a Juggalo army. Or orks, obviously.

A juggalo army? Ain't you seen The Warriors? Can you dig it?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Well yeah, players need to know who cracked the anhedron and unleashed the femme darkle.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Please stop daring me to do things, I'm physically unable to refuse. :v:

Huh... my bathroom isn't tiled, am I immune to this thing?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Barudak posted:

Because its just straight using the chinese word for a mundane thing which has an exisiting word in English for the mundane thing. Imagine if everytime they talked about the unicorn you had tor read how they ride ma into battle and love their ma and ma are intrinsic to the clan. Its just something I never like in translations because it creates pointless separation around the term and because I deal with japanese and chinese a lot in my daily life it sticks out to me as something that would 100% be translated to the English.

Unless tea in rokugan is magical and has non earth tea function/cultivation/growth that I missed in which case Im an idiot

So what you're saying is that everything is going according to keikaku?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, a real anime game would have you roll to see if you wake up with morning wood, roll to see if your older sister comes to wake you up and sees your boner, and roll again to see if she gets insanely mad and hits you with a comically large mallet.

Roll to see if you halve your falling damage by landing in boobs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Best part about Exalted stunting is pulling out the five dollar words. Nothing like diving into a coruscating spiral where your jade daiklave leaves a nacreous sheen through the air behind it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I'm digging that take on the Engargiya, which is a cryptid out of Uganda. They definitely went with the giant sloth model for it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

I suppose depending on what control you have over your lips literally sucking could still be a go. Though now I wonder what would happen if you cast it on a Mind Flayer...

Well facetacles may be eating apparati, but they aren't "jaws" as the spell states. Jaw is defined as the framework of the mouth in vertebrates. Depending on your DM it might stop the little beak in there?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

How much time would it take the average person to figure out that butterflies are uniquely scared of them?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Here's the dip recipe I use when I host friends for a night of gaming, because I am not a fan of putting out big bland bowls of cream.

Chimichurri Simple Style
1 cup rough chopped italian flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup rough chopped cilantro
1/4 cup rough chopped oregano
3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed (use 5)
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 squeezin lemon's worth of juice
1 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chili flake
3/4 cups of olive oil
Crusty bread

Combine all ingredients except oil and bread in a food processor. Pulse and scrape til you have a rough mince in there. Scoop that into a bowl and pour the olive oil in the same bowl. Let sit for 20 minutes at room temp before serving.

Slice bread, brush with olive oil, throw on a hot grill until lightly browned. Serve that with the dip. It'll run out immediately so also have chips and veggies there.

Optional: You can also chop up about a quarter of a red onion or a whole shallot and put that in there. I take no objection to this.

Apparently I should have put this in my book.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

What's your pork tenderloin recipe

Recently because I have a baby and am tired I mostly just herb it up, sear it to brown, then throw it in a slow cooker with root beer to almost cover for 7 hours or so, drain, shred, mix in bbq sauce, and serve with asian slaw and rolls. But the old recipe involved slivering garlic and using a knife to basically poke a thousand garlic sliver holes in the tenderloin. Then .. I haven't made this in a year... build a mix of equal parts chopped thyme and rosemary, salt/pepper, dried onion, and olive oil, rub to coat, put in a baking dish, bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove, wait 7 minutes before slicing, serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Root beer? Really?

To make pulled pork? Sure! It's basically just a prepackaged sweet brine. You can use whatever soda, the recipe I pulled it from suggested Dr. Pepper. The finished product doesn't take like root beer, just tastes like sugar, acid and sodium were sucked way down into the meat and broke it down real good. When I make carnitas out of a pork shoulder I just squeeze a bunch of lemons, oranges, and limes into the slow cooker, does the same thing.