Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Count Chocula posted:

It'd probably sell more copies with that title. But my views about nature are...unorthodox.

just needed to bring this back up as it relates to choc's avatar - he lamented that Australian law prevented him buying mace to take to the beach to protect him from sharks and also from people with muscles.

his hatred and fear of the outside world is worth remarking on even for goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

luv u choc but you are a loving weirdo.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

There's a certain amount of poetry in a game about cowboys being ruined by railroading.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

the mess in the grudge book is in itself a continuous source of grudges

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ah yes, such famous historical noble houses as the Medicis, the Romanovs, Americans, and Women.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

you dont need to make shady poo poo up about the surf life savers:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-29/surf-life-saving-in-crisis-after-teenagers-death/3920126

they literally have child sacrifices to keep beaches safe

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Palladium: it's just bad :words:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

no offense but given your custom title i'm not going to take your advice re: genocide without a pinch of salt

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

sorry, i didn't actually want an explanation or defence, i was just making a 'post/avatar combo' joke. didn't mean to start a genocidal pipeline over it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

we can but live in hope.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Somebody post that Planetary page where HP Lovecraft is utterly convinced that black people are an egg laying alien species.

?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Cassa posted:

An industrial demand for slaughter does do wonders for new murder implements.

And who the hell thought of a chainsaw when it comes to surgery? Is it surgery on bigfoot?

the chainsaw was literally invented for surgery

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

when all you have as a surgical tool is amputations, you look for faster ways to cut.

this dude would have loved a chainsaw

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Liston

quote:

He was six foot two, and operated in a bottle-green coat with wellington boots. He sprung across the blood-stained boards upon his swooning, sweating, strapped-down patient like a duelist, calling, 'Time me gentlemen, time me!' to students craning with pocket watches from the iron-railinged galleries. Everyone swore that the first flash of his knife was followed so swiftly by the rasp of saw on bone that sight and sound seemed simultaneous. To free both hands, he would clasp the bloody knife between his teeth

Liston's most famous case posted:

Amputated the leg in under 2 1⁄2 minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He amputated in addition the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). He also slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he dropped dead from fright.

That was the only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality.
— Richard Gordon

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Skaven bug the hell out of me for some reason. They feel like they're better than every other race at their shtick and it seems obvious that they're some authors darling. Maybe I'm rat racist.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

look how could you know that your current plight is the fault of 'political correctness' unless the book told you?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

suggesting a goon thought criminal who was jailed for refusing to hand over their stockpile of precious antique japanese animes. should have computer janitor technical skills, but be physically and socially incapable.

or a veteran of the forgotten forum wars, doxxed and exiled by ungrateful sjws.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Hostile V posted:

What women! :haw:

No for real there's...nothing. There is absolutely nothing in the book to answer this question. I'm just so convinced they just actively forgot that there could be female prisoners on the Gehenna when there's poo poo like that Trait. And this is just, like, the tip of the Weird Bad Shitberg.

women don't go to space prison, they're too busy cucking beta sjws or something.

i suspect that the author(s) of this game own and wear fedoras.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Gordon Ramsay's (going to) Hells Kitchen.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

JcDent posted:

(...except for the part in Tempestus Scions book - the worst book - where women can't join the navy anymore)

what

loving seriously?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Nessus posted:

Isn't the Imperium's navy this massive thing where the ships are practically Zeonic colonies unto themselves with entire generations of void-born spawning and mutating and poo poo beyond the hallowed surface of a planet?

that was my understanding, yes

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

JcDent posted:

Oh, the women are free to be basically anyone else, just not Space Marines (because Emperor engineered it that way and No Female Space Marines (in 40K) is my weird hill to die on. I'm also willing to die on No Male SoB hill, which is adjacent, but much smaller), Commissars or Navis Nobilite (the officers), and I have issues with the last two. Aside for the Scions book being needlessly cruel and stupid about things (All Scions (human operators operating operationally) need a painful memory deleting drug for their transformation into Scions just cuz AND THE STOCKS ARE RUNNING OUT NOOOO), I'm really not against female Commissars (and countless horny nerds are already voting with their wallets at Wargame Exclusive et al) while a female space officer in a strapping uniform is such an entrenched trope that I would not want to go away from 40K.

And Vasquez is the reason why we need more female Guardsmen. And for Guardsmen to look more like Colonial Marines rather than movie Mobile Infantry.

EDIT: Wait, I think I might have been wrong. I took a glance at the book and in the two places they mention selection, they don't mention Navis. Now how did I get this brainfart...

The Navis Nobilite aren't the officer corps of the Navy- they're the mutants that allow handle warp navigation.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

yeah the maximum bonus is +60, so a starting guard with 40 ballistic skill will hit 99% of the time under optimal circumstances (00 always fails). (+30 point blank, +30 unaware target).

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

also used as a plot in Atomic Robo: The Shadow out of Time!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

I'd actually say more the Yehat, albeit with some rather notable twists. Most notably: not a patriarchal society with women in a particularly poor place.

E: It should also be noted, Kzinti telepaths tend to be weedy, stringy little assholes by kzin standards, but are very useful militarily...most of the time. The first Man-Kzin War got kicked off when a Kzinti telepath reported to his captain that a human ship had no weapons, humans having been at peace for a long-rear end time before meeting the Kzin. This was true, to an extent, except that human ships run on reaction drives, leading to what both species remember as the Kzinti's Lesson: a reaction drive is a weapon whose power is directly related to its efficiency as a drive.

Which is to say, humans lost the first battle but managed to take out a single Kzinti ship by hitting it with the giant fusion flame come out of their ship, because the Kzinti thought it was unarmed and were basically toying with it until that happened.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Does Scion at any point explain why monotheism exists? It seems kind of out of place, given that the world acknowledges the existence of many gods. So far it just looks like they wanted to dunk on Christianity for ignoring "reality".

efb

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

a terrier

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

does Spire go into more detail about the humans? what the heck is their deal in a world of immortal ice assholes and gross spider freaks?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

aww, i remember these guys. turns out doing sick flips is no real match for some jerk with a Boom Gun though.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

halfling litigant, in a tragically short-lived pbp.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

scum and villainy?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Alors, Guillaume! Comment se fait-il que Maman te laisse en avoir deux Boom Guns?

apologies for google translate french, but Parisians assure me it's in the spirit of Quebecois.

also you keep saying succession instead of secession.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

you do run into a sort reverse angel summoner/bmx bandit problem, where the solo can ice any regular enemy and threats set up to challenge them just mulch everyone else.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

if only the game had a fear mechanic, then the cop could shout people to death.

full disclosure, i have played a buttload of cyberpunk 2020, and had a great time. kind of impossible to ignore the cracks these days.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

at some point i need to find a copy of the Bubblegum Crisis RPG, which was based on the successor system to CP2020.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

hard to have a theme for your powers when you have like 600 of them

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

yeah I haven't looked at exalted for a while but iirc there's nothing for bureaucracy to do.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

wanna play in these lovely badlands

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

was she inevitably betrayed by the liberal feminist?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I think one of the main reasons Vigil succeeds where Reckoning failed is the way Hunters' special powers are framed. Hunters were not all created by the same source or phenomenon. They were not suddenly created by a divine power. Without monsters to fight, Hunters go back to being civilians.

Their powers are also something external to them. They don't have a Power Stat (nor their own kind of Morality). Valkyrie uses superweapons, the Ascending use superdrugs, the Aegis uses magic artifacts. Even Cheiron's implants are, well, just dangerous experimental implants, and the Lucifuge and Malleus are invoking powers that come from somewhere else.

The Union uses...community?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

and victor hugo didn't write brothers karamazov either

sisters of mercy were never general secretary of the ussr