Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All the Madlands gods are actually characters from Winnie The Pooh. Bax Powu Kag isn't actually a moose. He's a Donkey.

This is probably the best feature of the Madlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Kobal is bored and doesn't want to even be here (the metaphysical here of being a demon prince and engaging in his word), but by god he's contracted to this show. He's not putting any effort into it and just going through the motions of his routine, the worst kind of comedy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Give Ewen Cluney a couple months to bust one out, I think they're working on one in addition to like six other games.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't care if it's decades before the reference would make sense, I'll never not be a fan of a literal Wolf of Wall Street.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

PantsOptional posted:

We were already doing that with Beast, though.

F.A.T.A.L will never have anyone unironically referencing 'SJWs' so it's a step up.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yes but that's text and not discussion of the text.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

chaos rhames posted:

I heard a horror story about a Rift Supers game run at my old meetup where the characters were caretakers to a superman analogue who was stripped of his powers and left a wheelchair bound, mentally disabled moron. None of them had powers either. There is no limit to how stupidly dark a superhero story can go.

Oh hey, some GM read Wanted.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Siivola posted:

Baker visited a local TG convention a couple of years back, and I think he mentioned then that he grew up in a fundie sort of country and really hated it. Dogs kinda reflects that, entirely on purpose.

Yeah the game is supposed to cause friction between the stated morality of the faith and the actualities of real (game) people in the real (game) world. I would absolutely understand anyone who says they wouldn't want to play that game, but DITV does that game very very well.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Strange Matter posted:

Holy smokes, Dog's conflict system is, like, nothing I've ever seen before. So basically the idea is that, against really thick-headed opponents you can escalate all the way up to lethal force if nobody is willing to give?

You can escalate at first go to lethal force, by giving at the first raise then escalating all the way up to gunplay. It probably won't end well, but you definitely can.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
At the same time people are totally in the right if they have problems doing so to not play the game. It's designed to be a point of stress because it's something that people are dealing with actively in the real world now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The best Idigam theory is all of them, at once, always. Sure it seems like it makes no sense but on the other hand gently caress you it's Idigam.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Robindaybird posted:

Ah, you're right - but still.

If I recall, the British had an attempt for an Ice Ship to save up on iron, including throwing a prototype block into Chruchill's hot bath to show it won't melt. Then it turns out production was so prohibitively expensive and time consuming to even think about.

It was less prohibitively expensive than it was insufficiently less expensive to bother with compared to just making ships as they already had

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, these exact points were brought up the last time this exact poster driveby shat up the thread. Why bother wasting space responding again?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All myths are true. They are not all true at the same time or all places. Because they predate linear time and discrete locality.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Of course the biggest unironic Beast fan in thread also calls nWerewolf Righteous Viking Nature Rage.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The joke is that you apparently missed that hasn't been the point of Werewolf for at least a decade.

Let's try a different tack here. You like Grant Morrison, right? Beast is Magneto per Grant Morrison. Not worth the effort and actually just bad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He may not have missed it. He may have just assumed we meant oWoD werewolf, because :effort:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
This is the guy who wouldn't eat at McDonalds because Unknown Armies convinced him magic was real and it was just ~too real man~.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Can you reuse the costume because that's a p. easy major if so.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The one issue with the D&D in Stranger Things is suggesting that a wizard conjuring cabbages to shoot at fools is not the dopest thing.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There was a running group gag with a friend had a Shinjo character who did all of his poetry on a horse because, hey, he adds his Horsemanship to all rolls while mounted.

Getting inspiration by going out and being one with your steed is Shinjo as gently caress, honestly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

MollyMetroid posted:

One word: Dread.

Exactly. Nothing will ratchet up tension and despair like a Jenga Tower, let me tell you.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Joker going after Knight and Squire with Harmless British Joker who just likes facepaint and purple suits was a pretty great arc, yeah.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

unseenlibrarian posted:

If you took "Things the British empire actually did" and used them with the serial #s filed off as "Things a Shadowy cyberpunk megacorp did" you'd get complaints about painting them as two-dimensional villains and no one would really act like that.

Yeah, you'd run into the Leverage Problem real quickly.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

unseenlibrarian posted:

"The Anti-priests of the Atheocracy of Lom" and "The Autocossacks of the Iron Tsar" are tied for "The most Jack Kirby sounding things in the setting." Just gonna assume that most pre-Shattering supertech has lots of visible circuitry lines and runs on kirby dots and big hats.

Godbound are obviously the Fourth World after THE DEATH OF THE OLD GODS what with the new ultimate divinities and cast off weapons from the wars to end war. What is The Source Wall but a Celestial Engine?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Barrett Comission gets forgotten because it's got neither lasers nor psychic Columbos but by god it hits vampires where it hurts: the bank accounts.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
:drat:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nearly no Amish affiliations use motorized tractors. Almost all Amish affiliations use washing machines. Even saying they're anti-convenience is a misinterpretation.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It can vary, obviously. The Amish are not lockstep regarding technology much like they're not all alike regarding many various things. They're also not the same as Mennonites but they're both Anabaptists.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Inspired to have Dawn of the Dead cross over with Knightriders for the maximum Romero experience.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Liefeld pretty much cops to loving up at Image last I checked. The real Siembieda in that train wreck was probably Todd McFarlane, or rather Siembieda is a lesser version of McFarlane's complete rear end in a top hat schtick.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Robert The Bruce and the Spider is yet another thing to point to for cool knights and their arachnid inspiration.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All the other premades must have been made terrible in a misguided attempt to balance out how amazing that Old Master is. That is Grandpa of the Cyberpapacy level right there.

You are right that they really beefed the landing on this one, though, because desire for personal vengeance versus the rule of actual law is prime kung-fu narrative territory.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Night10194 posted:

Are there any legit mechanically solid games from the early-mid nineties that people can think of? I'm curious.

Castle Falkenstein.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Night10194 posted:

poo poo I forgot Castle Falkenstein.

I really need to actually play that some day.

You and nearly everybody else. It's yet another entry on the list of best games nobody plays.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Ordo Dracul is basically Ordo DIO, where vampires who know that being a vampire is actually the coolest spend time learning cool new vampire tricks in the process of mastering the state of undeath totally.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

theironjef posted:

I want a game where both versions of wrestling are true. The matches are choreographed and the stories are fake, but it's super important that they do a great job, because their power is derived from the adulation and screams of the masses, and it's also just the way the wrestlers make money in public. Outside the ring, they have to go forth and fight the shadow war the people can't know about. Vampires, zombies and worse. The only thing standing in the way of the monsters enslaving society is the wrestlers, and when they're out of the ring, they don't have to hold back! Yokozuna's got his earthquake stomps, the Rock is literally hard as stone and so on.

And then the second book drops and oh poo poo, the monsters made a good enough offer! Now the heels of the wrestling world are just as evil outside the ring! Can the heroes of the squared circle manage to maintain kayfabe in a ring with a foe that would happily kill them if the lights went down?

I would also like a Lucha Underground game, yes.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey buttholes: If you want to burn your brains out trying to fix a game, fix XCrawl instead of Beast. What are you gonna do, brother, when Umber Hulkamania runs wild on you???

This is p. dumb because X-Crawl is the anti-Beast: It's the easiest thing in the world to fix because it's a simple but powerful through-line for a setting and then you staple whatever system to it. It's just that it got stapled to a very bad system.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The story of Vlad Tepes is actually cool as hell even if it contained zero vampires but the chances of seeing that done is like zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Honestly using the generic wrestling move with Look or Power should be a rarity.