Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Halloween Jack posted:

Eh, I only have the free downloads and what I remember from the Beta rules, but the playbooks specifically point out that you can use Look and Power for Wrestling, and that Work is only good for wrestling. I get that the usefulness of Stats in a PBTA game is limited by what's logical in the fiction, but in Monsterhearts (the gold standard IMO) the Stats are also very well balanced from a strict mechanical point of view.

There are some other things I could criticize (in light of wrestling history it's odd that Real is used to "shoot" both verbally and physically) but that's the big one. It's still the best game I've ever seen for playing Terry Bollea or Philip Brooks.

Yeah, sorry for being unclear. I meant fictionally most wrestling moves should be rolling with Work, except for very specific incidents. Everything but the most flash or physically demanding moves really rely on knowledge of the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tooth and Nail is entirely worth it just for what Cheiron is up to. It's just so perfect.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's because the Wolves of God bit was actually designed for and not the worlds shittiest band-aid thrown on.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Talisman, although they've got the order of events mixed up.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Leviathan was a Mediocre Game, in my personal opinion.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I remember one of those Gary's Soapbox articles in Dragon where he talks about a con game where a player died doing something stupid and Gygax just taking his character sheet from him so unless you were keeping copies you would lose a dude.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
If I make a pulp game where the Chinese get a racial bonus to perfidious villainy it would be both genre accurate and also very bad, so I don't see why mental illness as the wage of sin gets a pass.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Part of your worshipful life is to transition from the one who travels to the ones who enable travel.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

That Old Tree posted:

As someone with nowhere near the knowledge necessary to tell if it's offensive in any way, Ehdrighor is specifically a Native American-based fantasy setting. It's been forever since I skimmed it, but it seemed fairly cool as a setting. It's not a great take on Fate, though. Unfortunately, I think the guy who made it struggled to get it out the door and it's been a fallow and mostly forgotten property ever since.

Allen Turner is Lakota, so it's definitely going at things better by virtue of not actually approaching from the point of the Mystical Other. He's also working on the new Scion game as well for the same reason.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's literally a world where dragons from the moon fight giant robots of course physics are different.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's what makes his voice James Earl Jones. Source: the movie they straight copied it from.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Subjunctive posted:

That sounds...disruptive. Do they give range stats for brass knuckles and swords and such?

I think it means Ranged by way of using your other Ranged Style Techniques with a weapon, but on the other hand your sword hitting that motherfucker all the way over there is the kind of ninja bullshit that a style capstone should probably give you?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It doesn't say anything about the metal plate under the serape trick, though...

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Covok posted:

Just as a general question, how many people here would be interested in a Ninja Crusade game after reading the Fatal and Friends breakdown?

Heck, I'd be down.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Obligatum VII posted:

I like the monks too. Wow, the ninjas sure seem like morons, making a whole lot of enemies they could have avoided and escalating things constantly.

The problem is that even now but definitely before the Crusade, ninjas are not a group in any cohesive sense despite the layman's assumption otherwise. So it's less "boy these ninjas sure do gently caress up a lot" and more "Man, that dude sure was an rear end in a top hat. What, no, I don't know them." and the big lesson of the Crusade is possibly that the clans can't afford to assume they're immune or not responsible to the acts of other ninjas.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Make the worst human being of an Iron Breaker. Just the shittiest person possible.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bieeardo posted:

Black Iron Chef.

Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade War Machines.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Young Freud posted:

Wait to you hear about how Skeletor was just some human guy who got his face burned off in an attempt to take the crown then made a deal with a demon to survive, who turned his head into a skull.

Man, the He-Man reboot went places from episode one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Gonna gamble it all on guessing Pig Knights.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I mean, there are quicker ways to admitting that you're a white cis dude but okay sure the Man is cool.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The idea that there is only Anarchy or The Man is another lie of The Man.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also Tzeentch is one hundred percent a god of hope, in that hope is the vulnerability all cons exploit.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The apparently intragalactic fascist government will probably bombard the planet from orbit until all the PCs are dead because that's how 12 people fighting a space empire would go.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
First rule of Glorantha: Always Criticize Jrusteli

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I hesitate to label them well-meaning, if only because of how little they cared about the consequences of the various poo poo they pulled just to prove they could.

They are absolutely the mystic equivalent of Schliemann excavating Troy with dynamite.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah but a Darkness Device is a terrible title belt.

Except, of course, the Darkness Device Superslam from the Kayfabe cosm.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bieeardo posted:

Turnbuckle post stelae.

The stelae are definitely posters for local fed shows on telephone poles.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Green Intern posted:

No. MK is Interdimensional Martial Arts Invasion.

I want Interdimensional NWO Invasion

Making a Dennis Rodman playbook for WWW now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Inescapable Duck posted:

I recall the Kinnikuman anime being about invading alien wrestlers. Also one of the few 4Kids dubs that was actually pretty good and funny.

Kinnikuman literally started as a comedy manga parodying Ultraman that became a wrestling manga because it was written and drawn by huge wrestling nerds who made the American Superhero Rival character Terry Funk like a year and a half before the first actual wrestling storyline, so it's full of aliens and demons and all sorts of wacky poo poo.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rand Brittain posted:

It's from the school of anthropology where "we examined this culture and determined that they're a bunch of lovely hypocrites" is not something you say.

Thats. That's all legitimate schools of anthropology my dude.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rand Brittain posted:

Doesn't that mean that anthropology fails when applied to people who are super-hypocritical about their cultural values?

Hypocrisy is a cultural value and judging another culture with your culture's values is the number one don't of the entire discipline so that's not a failure.

EDIT: Also, being exiled to Branson would be the loving worst punishment. You're either in the off season and stuck in the middle of Missouri in the 90s or it's tourist time and you're surrounded by the kind of people who willing go to Vegas as designed by Ned Flanders.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 4, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Judging culture and understanding culture are two different things and anthropology isn't about judging? I mean, I'm not sure how more in detail should be necessary here?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
EDIT: Mors explained it way more effectively.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 4, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so basically "once you start judging you have strayed beyond the bounds of anthropology proper and into another discipline."

That seems like a really limited take on the field, then—most books I've read on culture or history (and by most I mean all) had elements to their viewpoint that I'd consider at least implicitly critical of their subject matter.

It's also really unhelpful for a game book, because it means that at best you have to read between the lines heavily, and at worst the book is actively collaborating to deceive you.

That's because humans cannot be completely impartial. Impartiality is a goal to work towards despite the fact it can never be fully reached.

Also the idea that it's unfair to the player because you didn't label, for example, the monster bat that eats souls as bad is. It's certainly a stance to take I guess.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The only thing I don't like in that summary is the loss of The Cyberpapacy going through a sudden and vast technology shift basically on Malraux's whim.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Mastermind posted:

The problem with the old thing is that it's dependent on the three novels of backstory, and lord knows we don't need to get back into that horseshit again.

Oh absolutely, it's just a pity there's not really a good middle ground to use between them. It was a really good example of how a Darkness Device can destabilize on a grand scale.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Vadeli and honestly Fonrit are worse than the Lunars, let's be real here.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Counterpoint: When your position is also backed by Sheng Seleris it's time to really reflect if you're an rear end in a top hat because that's a good sign you're a real rear end in a top hat.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also, calling Mostali and Zzaburi slaves would be inaccurate at best. No one owns them.

They're immortal because they don't break kayfabe and Know Their Role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

senrath posted:

Also there have to be at least, I dunno, five of us who enjoyed Mummies Alive!

I'm betting on an even dozen, honestly.