Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

I'm still disappointed that the GURPS World of Darkness books got axed midway through the project. The mechanical adaptations were hosed six ways from Sunday, but they were still vastly more cogent reads than the original material.

What. Can you tell us more, because it sounds wonderful? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Botlicker: A botlicker is someone who has thrown in their lot with the robots in hopes of better treatment. Sometimes they become guards or foremen. Any resistance force, and most people, hate botlickers for treason against humanity and whenever a camp is liberated, the botlickers always die. I dunno why you would ever play as one.

Because you wanna play post apocalyptic Schindler? Though that'd work much better if it was the party as a whole, unless your in Washington or London.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Hostile V posted:

TAU-06 Inquisitor:
Zones: Everyone except poor Luna.

Wait. Why does Orbital need an Inquisitor, didnt they just vent everyone into space?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Fossilized Rappy posted:

This reminds me, are there any current RPGs out there that have tried to wrest back the idea of steampunk from the whole "just glue some gears on it" fad trend? Like, one with actual social revolution, anti-colonialism, and anarchism that dotted the real Victorian era?

Through the Breach is at the very least steampunk-ish aesthetically iirc, and the main (simmering) conflict in setting is between The Guild, which owns and runs all the important industries and businesses, and The Union, which obviously is the union of various workers who want to have things like fair pay, OSHA, not living in a corporate state, etc. I think there are some anarchist groups in setting but its been a while since i read the books. Also wasnt it reviewed in a F&F thread?

Edit: Through the Breach also takes place on an alien world accessed through a portal, which is being exploited for profit while having to deal with monsters that might be what the original alien inhabitants became. So you can probably work anti colonialism in there too, but in the core book they werent fleshed out beyond being antagonists in the outlands.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 5, 2016

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not convinced Synnibarr is more complicated than AD&D. I mean, seriously.

Is there a chart for grappling rules? Because those are always wonderful no matter the system, and I cant wait to see what Synnibarr does for it. :allears:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Kavak posted:

Is the author for that still alive? Has he ever dropped hints about what his future plans were now that the comic's clearly dead?

Last I heard was that sometime after he stopped the comic due to carpal tunnel syndrome, or a similar hand issue, he was doing Lunarquest(?) on some image board (dont ask me why he started an image quest thread while on hiatus from comic production due to a literally crippling hand injury), but that was years ago and I dont even know if Lunarquest even got 'completed'.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

kaynorr posted:

Sail is very solid all the way around, but the book is not joking when it says that involving naval hijinks needs to be all-or-nothing. Storms, winds, sea monsters, hazards....there are a lot of Charms dedicated to surviving naval terrain and getting a good return on XP investment means tackling those frequently. Sailing can also suffer from the Shadowrun Decking problem where the captain spends a lot of time on naval combat while the rest of the Circle is waiting to be useful again - however, this can be mitigated by having a very early boarding action before the captain is separated from the rest of the Circle, so that the rest of the players are fighting on deck while the captain is handling the elaborate spectacle that is happening in the background.

Or you can just port over the second edition three dot artifact 'Land ship'! Which is a actually a magical keel that lets a ship built on it sail through earth and stone (walls are considered waterfalls and forests are rough seas), though letting it get capsized will make it "sink into the ground, never to be seen again." Also not sure how well balanced for 3rd edition is its additional ability of giving a 2 mote (to a minimum of one mote) discount to sail charms used with it is.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

kaynorr posted:

I fully endorse this concept - commanding a literally solar-powered sandship across the great dunes of the South is good and cool. There is one Charm in the Sail tree that is explicitly about water, but everything else is readily portable to sand or air or the treetops. A campaign aboard ship is a way of life, and a pretty good one at that.

I totally forgot that the South has sandships, and that the North has airships, both of which are controlled with sail! :aaa: Do any of the solar charms make mention of these alternative methods of sailing anyway, since ride mentions unusual mounts (or atleast did in 2nd ed iirc)?

Though my fascination with the land ship was about an earth aspect terrestrial using it to live out his dream of being actually a water aspect. :v:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes.

You can always find the list of reviews at http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/

How often does the site update since it seems to go only up to about the end of July. Which makes me think something broke.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I can't comprehend why they still think flexible TNs are a great alright printable idea.

Id say flexible TNs could work but you would either need a flat amount of successes or dice, essentially trading TN for that, or with an understanding of what changing them would mean probability wise and and a concrete well defined reason/goal that you're using them.

Has any game ever done the second way? I want to say Exalted Sidereals (basic excellency, not the rest of their charms) but im not sure if they worked by accident or by actually doing the math

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 18, 2017

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

I wouldn't be against it in theory; hell, have one or both of the Lost Primarchs turn out to be a girl so there's precedent; but I do recall an old discussion on the topic of how pretty much every actual 'female Space Marine' army tends to have some kind of really weird fetish at its core.

How? Theyre giant walking slabs of armour vaguely shaped like a person, whats there to fetishize (that wouldnt be already done with tradition space marines lol)? Unless they were chaos marines. :ohdear:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
I dont think it was explicitly mentioned but can Ice Witches use their magic outside of Kislev? What with how entrenched they are with the land specifically in kislev.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

JcDent posted:

Starfinger HQ:
"How do we make this space lich more... space?"

"I dunno, give it an assault rifle?"

:doh: That question is a gimme! Make their brain or chest or phylactery glow! Tron lines! Anything scifi other than 'weapon'.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

This always gets mentioned in a way that totally flattens the rationale behind removing the Ultimates.

The problem is, as a side effect of making them a PC choice that isn't awful to play and not stepping on other faction's schticks, the Ultimates were right. On the measures that they were arguing, they really had created a superior version of humanity - smarter, faster, more robust, etc. And the downsides to that were a society that... really wasn't that much worse than the poo poo you have to put up elsewhere in the solar system. If the choice is between living in a lovely society or living in a lovely society as an Übermensch, it's pretty hard not to see the latter as the better option.

Making them worse mechanically just creates a system mastery trap option, and if you make the societal downsides of their lovely approach to things more apparent, that just makes them even less reasonable as a player faction choice. The only way to keep them as a player faction is to make them a white-washed palatable version of antagonist factions. Which is a lovely thing to do, hence their removal as a player option.

If they talked more about the Ultimates subfactions other than the 'KILL THE WEAK' one Id be more interesting. Cause arent there also subfactions that are isolationist/ascetic, one that is closer to an actual social darwinist where they recognize ecologies have hiearchied and if you kill everyone below you that means you are actually the loser cause you screwed yourself, or how you can advance in the ultimates by just being super smart and being in reasonable shape.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The Abrahamic faiths typically hold that the gods are not truly divine, if they acknowledge them at all. They are things which the Creator allows to exist, and despite myths, they had no true part in creating the world. They use their stories to justify power over mortals. Their Purviews do not grant true miracles, and when the dead go to Underworlds, it is because gods use their natural powers to force them to do so. Otherworld realms are extraordinary, but no more divine than the ability to make a house.

In Scion Judaism should have probably not grown/evolved out of their older henotheistic stance, where they acknowledge that other gods exist but only worship Yaweh. But Im not at all a Jewish theologian so I cant say what would happen instead when the Second Temple was destroyed since that was what propeled the move to monotheism, unless its still standing/rebuilt? Christianity and Islam can still be monotheist though.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
How dare Onyx Path not work through the ramifications of their urban fantasy setting. :colbert:

Serious question though, will the major branches of Christianity all share the same 'pantheon' or will they have different ones? Cause for example, saints, which could be used to fill a psuedo pantheon, explicitly arent a thing with Protestants. Maybe theyll use angels instead?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Im suprised the Kami history section didnt have something about Christianity. Doesnt the Japanese saying go "Born Buddhist, marry Christian, die Shinto" or something like that?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Sigmata was authored a guy called Chad Walker? From how it was originally about Arab Spring and then crudely repurposed to be set in America I figured the author would be either someone from the Middle East or has close ties to it not what seems to be a random American. :sigh:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Im not saying that an Arab Spring Sigmata wouldve been better but the one we got was very bad for an American writer, and if the author was from a different country then all the stuff they got wrong would be more forgiveable since they arent embedded in our culture. Like where thr gently caress is the Klan? They should be having a field day in Sigmata's America.

Edit:

DalaranJ posted:

I get the impression he didn’t make it about the Arab Spring because he was worried he wouldn’t do it justice. In that, he was clearly right.

I have to wonder now how much research he did for either version of the game because it feels like not much.

Communist Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 31, 2018

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

JcDent posted:

That's how it feels when people go "let's turn this medieval stasis into an industrial revolution, also communism". Now, if you were supporting Erdarbeiters in the Empire...

TBF the two biggest most 'succesful' communist revolutions were in Russia, so unindustrialized that peasants-bound-to-the-land sefdom was abolished recently when the revolution hit, and China, which was actively trying to maintain medieval stasis until it all fell apart. Though the industrialization happened after the revolutions.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1448273438/hc-svnt-dracones-20/description

I'm predictable and a glutton for things that hurt, but I really hope that they don't change the game enough for 2.0 to merit a re-review.

It looks like it might, but the "shape and mass" system seems like a legit new idea. Whether theyve implemented it well is to be seen.

Also once the Kickstarter is finished does that mean HSD 1e can be reviewed by system mastery?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

Has there ever been any alt-history where the God-Worshiper jacobins manage to topple the Quing Emperor?

Are you talking about the Taiping Rebellion? They used to exist as one of the splinter countries that made up China in older versions of the KaiserReich mod for Hearts of Iron / Arsenal of Democracy, but from what I can remember their fluff leaned heavily on the kingdom part (read imperial China) of the "Heavenly Kingdom" and not so much on their proto communist weird christianity.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Night10194 posted:

They are rules for a game about giant robot fights, from people who thought the best ruleset to use for this was 40kRP because there was some dumb crossover fanfiction about Shinji being into 40k and that making him 'less of a wuss'.

I'm not making that up, that was the reason for the system choice.

You know what gently caress it, let's get onto this trainwreck. I'll start re-reading and get started soon.

If it helps the third? edition realized that 40k is a terrible engine for Eva and went full homebrew engine so that could be an interesting sequel review. But last I checked it wasnt finished, mainly missing rules to play the operations director, aka land forces and the city gizmos.

Also which edition are you reviewing since second edition got forked over design choices that I honestly cant remember?

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

No, Haiti's freedom was won in blood. The slave rebellions were, uh, a huge deal.

Or to be more specific slaves had been promised freedom if they fought for the slave owners a few times during the revolution but after the revolt of the moment was put down they went 'lol no' and kept them enslaved each time.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
But there are exceptions, there is literally an entire big name criminal organization that is staffed solely by forks of the 'founder'. Also in one of the splat books iirc they introduced essentially a bunch of humans who managed to link their consciousness together and not become a hive mind OR lose their individuality, also the group isnt intending to be(come) exhumans or weird post-human off shots, apparently they did it to survive when their colony failed. For reasons. :shrug:

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Those are very much fighting words.

edit:Like reasonably yeah probably, but monks got real real weird about God's mom having sex with anyone.

The usually way that Jesus had a half brother was that it was Joseph's son from a previous marriage, but thats all I remember of it other than the fact that monks also vigorously debated whether or not Jesus had an older half brother. He might have been one interpretation of (the multiple?) Jame(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Killer Spambot

it looks like a tapeworm for some reason
Threat level - Red

This would be an interesting setting detail if they just put some effort on where you would encounter them, and have them not lose ability to recognize non TITAN stuff. Ideas I had just after reading it:
  • They're in either random servers (theyre originally malware, and in the Fall not being tied to any specific server would be an asset), organizations that use Fall/BF equipment, and organizations that regularly deal with TITANs
  • Almost all transhuman traffic doesnt trigger them, but the kind of stuff that would be in a firewall team or a group of PCs would. Which could be played for the horror angle, he who fights monsters...etc.
  • The more 'indescrimanate' ones could be from the Jovians, retuned to think transhumanity as TITANs, to either protect their stuff or as low level cyberwar stuff.