Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Even Onyx Path has moved away from that poo poo these days most of the time.

Well, I say that, but the latest book they put out has Aokigahara in Japan (y'know, the forest where people go to commit suicide a lot) be caused by an angel of the God-Machine hanging out there encouraging suicide in order to have willing sacrifices to prevent Mount Fuji from exploding.

Still not sure how I feel about that, since, like, Aokigahara is on the one hand spooky as poo poo and on the other hand actually a real place where people go to kill themselves a lot.

Seriously, just reading the signs they have up in that forest is pretty heartbreaking. They don't even bother to be official "no trespassing" or anything like that, they're straight up pleas like, "think of your family."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not sure if that family sign would help or actually do the opposite and precipitate the suicide.

Indeed I agree but that was the only sign I recalled being there in specific and I didn't really feel like looking up specifics on something like that so soon before I have to go to work.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Just as an aside, this sentence sums up why I hate Lovecraftian horror. Alien space gods who don't know we're here while stomping on us are a lot less scary to me than alien space gods who are specifically gunning for us.

I had this whole thing I wrote up a while ago about how Jack Kirby's Darkseid and Terry Pratchett's Auditors were better cosmic horror than anything Lovecraft wrote.

That's my story, I'm just going to go over here now and be a total nerd.

It kind of depends. Part of it is that specifically personifying the cosmic entities kind of misses the whole point. When done right, the idea is less even about us being incidentally stepped on by greater beings than it is the entropic notion that we are so insignificant that we are both beneath notice and fundamentally incapable of altering our destiny. Sooner or later something will come along and eat all of time or what have you for reasons we cannot even begin to comprehend, much less alleviate and then we'll all be dead. You couple that with the obsession and eventual madness of the protagonist because otherwise the horror fails due to it actually mirroring reality too much: we could be annihilated by an asteroid impact quite easily, and on a grander scale there are various theories about how the entire universe could literally just wink out of existence in an instant but there's basically no point in worrying about any of it because there's nothing we can do about it and we'd probably be dead before we noticed or suffered.

Plus, when the horror's specifically gunning for the human race it gets really easy to slip into granting importance through that very focus. Probably the best presentation of it I've personally seen was actually a fanfic that included a portion where the earth was glassed and the population enslaved by an alien race because their leader had been personally slighted by earthlings in the past. Didn't hurt that it was witness from the perspective of an earthling ex-pat who watched mostly dispassionately as the galactic machine churned the whole of human civilization up and spit it back out as a cog in a greater machine.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Did you get to the part where it has weaponized genitalia yet?

I think I remember him doing that . . . or maybe that was Black Tokyo? So many RPGs with murder cocks in them it starts to get hard to keep track.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

GURPS FANTASY II

5 – GODS

I think this means winter will last forever.

I'mma read the rest of the review in a second but looking at that picture I can't help but look at that and see the guy there leaping at that thing and getting ready to dunk the lade into its mouth.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

Mostly it means "We read something about Theosophy and thought that Madame Blavatsky knew what she was talking about instead of being a charlatan, so we're going to use it as a vague "Eastern mysticism" thing, it's Sanskrit, right?"

Basically it's a reference to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akashic_records

Mostly I just find it weird that more than once I've heard it come up specifically in reference to dudes that primarily just punch people.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

Great spiritual enlightenment and ultimate kung fu are often associated in fiction.

Yes, but you'd think when you pair it up with a document that's supposed to deal with the universal fate of all things you'd perhaps do a lot less punching and more harmonious resolution. Then again, all the times I've seen "Akashic Fist" or the like has been in some type of game, so harmonious resolution isn't really on the table.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, I remember there being a -massive- difficulty spike around the time the first nazi wizards show up, especially since my medic hadn't leveled enough to unlock his reanimator serum combat-resurrection yet.

(Why the hell would you only give XP for fights/kills in an TRPG with dedicated support troops? Even FFT knew better than that)

More importantly, the way the guns interacted with the tactical gameplay was one of the best parts about the game and yet almost all the supernatural enemies could only be hurt by melee or special attacks and eventually all you fight is supernaturals.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Wait, hold the loving phone, those were the guys that did Rondo of Swords too? loving hell, they are just the kings of tactical games with killer premises that are ruined by awful mechanical execution.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Young Freud posted:

No, I get that, it's just that they would be letting Fields' hang if they knew who he actually was.

Last I checked they don't care, all the care about is whether or not there's a narrative of oppression and censorship by the evil SJWs they can spin to rile up all the angry white kids they're hoping to turn into republicans in the future.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

My apologies if I missed it somewhere already, but are these DX supplements available to buy anywhere? Cause this all sounded great and someday I'm gonna play the poo poo out of this game.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

They're on DriveThru and IPR.

Ooo, thanks much.

Edit: Ah, and they got over their aversion to PDFs, awesome. Guess I know where a big chunk of my next paycheck is going.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 24, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's extremely hard to find the core rules in physical form but just about everything else is freely available.

Oh I'm good on that, I bought the physical back when the original review rolled through the thread.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

What's the most Castlevania RPG?

Depending on how stringent your definition of "RPG" is, I suspect it might be this: http://www.castlevaniaboardgame.com/

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Count Chocula posted:

It's so beautiful!

Oh yeah, and it seems to play pretty well too. If you've got Tabletop Simulator there's a mod to let you play it on that.

Probably my favorite part is that it's got almost every significant character in the series except for the two N64 Castlevania's. Those they skipped entirely.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Doresh posted:

Dammit. It's just not enough versimiltude for me if I can't play as a bare-chested werewolf dude. Or as a knight with guns.

Actually, funny story, there was a . . . GBA Castlevania, I believe, called Circle of the Moon that also featured a werewolf protagonist and he was included in their character builds.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Doresh posted:

Really? I thought that one only had an oldschool Belmont dude.

And of course does he make an appearance. It's from one of the good Castlevania games.

(Does this bias only apply to the N64 games, or 3D ones in general? Because playing as a pumpkin dude or having a yeti combat buddy sounds neat.)

Just the N64, it does in fact have Pumpkin and the main from Curse of Darkness as well as the Belmont progenitor from Lament of Innocence.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Doresh posted:

Excellent. I love LoI Belmont and his "I just woke up and forgot to wash my hair" style. Gotta get this ASAP.

Yeah, let me see here cause the full list is awesome and I don't think it's on that site.

Julius Belmont, Soma Cruz and Yoko Belnades - Aria and Dawn of Sorrow
Charlotte Aulin and Jonathan Morris - Portrait of Ruin
Eric Lacarde - Bloodlines
Nathan Graves - Circle of the Moon
Shanoa - Order of Ecclesia
Alucard - if you don't know you don't care about Castlevania
Richter Belmont and Maria Renard - Rondo of Blood
Simon Belmont - Castlevania
Juste Belmont - Harmony of Dissonance
Leon Belmont and Pumpkin - Lament of Innocence
Sonia Belmont - Legends (it was og Gameboy)
Trevor Belmont (who also covers Grant and Sypha) - Castlevania III
Hector - Curse of Darkness
Cornell - Legacy of Darkness

Edit: Ah and looking at it now I was wrong, Cornell is the werewolf guy from the second 64 Castlevania. So it was just Castlevania 64 that they shafted.

LornMarkus fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 10, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Doresh posted:

Sweet. Glad to see that Cornell is there. He's to unique of a concept to pass on.

And is this adult Symphony of the Night Maria, or underaged Maria? Because the latter attacks with a pair of doves.

Doves and an upgrade to Owls. :eng101:

Figure in the Tabletop Sim game is the adult version and she's actually pretty badass because her Doves and Owls give her the base ability to reroll all her successful hits for extra damage.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Nessus posted:

Honestly I would love a game system which took pains to emulate the shonen trope of slobberknocker extended battles against the ultimate bad guys, but I actually can't think of any that really have gotten that "you beat the living poo poo out of each other and the clutch win comes from a new power, a last minute team-up, or whatever."

In other words, a fight that's exciting.

Off the top of my head, Tenra Bansho Zero is designed for exactly that but I haven't played it nor tried statting up characters enough to say whether or not it succeeds. I can say from experience that a good combat in Legends of the Wulin can very much give that feeling although the nature of its dice mechanics make it a lot more swingy blow to blow. Just a PvP combat I did with a friend for my other friends G-Gundam style LotW game was pretty intense and interesting the whole way through.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Doresh posted:

Ideally, combat either doesn't last too long, or the weak attacks at the start actually build towards the alpha strike that'll finish everything. Maybe you rack in some advantages to cash in later, or you force the enemy to decide whether he wants to eat more damage ealier or exhaust himself sooner.

It's also worth noting that quick and easy combat should generally be a palette cleanser/reward for your hard work at making your characters awesome. Making it the standard for the system just makes it feel pointless after awhile, like the random encounters in a JRPG once you've so grossly out-leveled them that you kill everything in one hit.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

I wish this had come up when it was still deal of the day.

The quick rundown:

• Tactical grid combat, most of the game's crunch is frontloaded into chargen.
  • Very light on built-in fluff to keep it setting agnostic - past, future, modern, anything's kosher as long as it's ridiculous and at least a little supernatural.
  • Mixed level/pointbuy system, where each time you level up you get more points and also get generally more powerful because what is anime without gradual power escalation.
  • As long as you focus on 2 or 3 stats to keep high, it's hard to build a character who isn't functional.
  • The big meat of chargen is Techniques, where you build your own 4e-style powers from the ground up - add a Core (Damage, Healing, Barrier, Boost, etc) to define what it does, modifiers (Ranged Technique, Blast Radius, Persistent Effect, Immobilizing Strike) to make it more fun, then Limits (Cooldown, lose Health, debuff self, require Valor) to reduce the cost.
  • Valor is a resource for all important characters that starts each scene at 0 and gradually builds over time / is doled out by the GM when you act properly dramatic and over the top. You can burn it 3 at a time to boost rolls or recover Health.
  • Get once-a-scene Ultimate Techniques every 5 levels that can either be big explodey super attacks or DBZ-style transformations.
  • Generic framework for non-combat scenes that makes them more involved than "roll a skill check a couple times", which I've seen used for infiltration missions, info gathering, social conflicts, iron chef cooking battles, and abstracted actual combat.

A friend of mine is prepping to run a One Piece game in it as we speak, it's more or less perfect for it. Gundam could work, although a lot of details would need to be abstracted (at least until we get our mecha splatbook out). People were talking about Pretty Cure / Sailor Moon earlier, also works great for that sort of thing.

I'd consider doing a writeup of it myself, but that seems kind of self-serving.

Good sir/madam, you have made a sale.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

FMguru posted:

Way back in grognards.txt, we noticed that fantasy games and supplements that add rules and options for fighting always ended up making fighting characters weaker (fatigue points, weapons getting damaged, bowstrings snapping, armor getting rusty, etc.) while games and supplements that added more rules and options for spellcasters always made them stronger (more spells, more specializations, more magic items, more things to summon, more rules for crafting items, etc.)

My knowledge isn't exhaustive, of course but that is the general impression I got when I still bothered to look through D&D splats. Only exceptions I can think of would be the book of Weaboo-Fighting Magic and a book a friend of mine broke out the one time it was suggested we play 3.x: it had rules for some kind of ultra-heavy platemail that started to gain non-magical enhancement ratings because it's so drat heavy and/or well-crafted. As I recall it was basically 40k Space Marine armor, going by the art.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

If I remember correctly, the card game was based on the manga, but the manga didn't have any rules beyond what was needed at that moment. This meant that the original game was pretty much unplayable by normal means, so people had to come in and try to duct-tape some rules together based on what they had on the cards.

So technically the game was released, then designed.

I actually watched some of it when I was younger and as a non-YuGiOh! CCG player I recall always being terribly amused when I saw cards that were actually used in the show but had been ridiculously toned down just to be not as broken.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

It's also got, as I understand it, some very interesting philosophy on the nature of family and loved ones. But it's kind of hard to see that past two seasons of unnecessarily detailed prepubescent transformations.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Kobold eBooks posted:

Well, I know exactly why it would've killed them to offer Job switching, and we'll see when we start to get to the classes.

Every fighter being Cyan is only the tip of this amazingly mediocre iceberg.

Wait until Chemist.

Just wait.

To be fair, I greatly prefer "every non-mage is Cyan" to the faithful recreation of most FF classes that is, "you get to equip different gear and use Attack a lot."

Also Chemist was definitely a weird class and in fairness I never quite got high enough to actually use Mix with mine, but drat if it wasn't good fun when their were Undead about. Sure White Mages and the like could also do a bunch of damage with their healing spells, but they didn't get the fun of describing punching a zombie in the face with a Potion, or trick shotting a bottle in the air over them to create holy acid rain. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Doresh posted:

The idea is fine and all, but the execution leaves something to be desired.

Yup, I fully agree. There's a reason I've only once in recent years considered trying to get some friends to make characters and do a campaign in it, and that was mostly because I hadn't actually looked at it in years until I tried.