Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Whoever's reviewing Dreamhounds of Paris should save that Doom Patrol panel, or just use others from that arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Giving theatre kids something to play instead of Vampire is an awesome idea.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Kellsterik posted:

The Importance of Being Earnest? The Threepenny Opera? Arcadia? Nixon in China? Harry Potter and the Cursed Child?

e: Dion Boucicault's play "The Octoroon" has a really interesting history and alternate endings for different audiences that lends itself well to The Play's The Thing. Reading your review reminded me of a really cool modern take on that play by Branden Jacobs-Jenkins. I see why this game exists, there are so many plays about plays and it's easy to riff on theatre as a medium.

What's that meta as hell Tom Stoppard play that takes the piss out of Agatha Christie mysteries? I saw it performed and it was really fun.
Can the game handle more serious modern family drama like Chekhov, Tennessee Williams (Long Day's Journey into Night), or Tracey Letts (Bug, August Osage County)? Or depressing Beckett plays?

Try doing Our Town, I think that's a good one.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

megane posted:

After Magritte maybe?

e: No, it's The Real Inspector Hound, I'd forgotten that one

Real Inspector Hound, that's it.
On second thought, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use metafictional/postmodern plays for the game. If the fun is in the players playing around with classic plays, doesn't it take some of the fun out of it if the play you're using is already doing that? So instead of Real Inspector Hound, use The Mousetrap or another mystery play, and let the players be the ones loving with it instead of the author?

I may be overthinking it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

The overlap between "person who wants to play a pilot of a robot mech that fights dragons" and "person who enjoys calculating man hours and weighted averages of metalurgical composition of specific conponents" is literally just the authors of Dragonmecg, isnt it.

I keep imagining this as a game Torbjorn from Overwatch designed.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Does Immortals have rules for voluntary body sharing, like in Sense8 or Drawing of the Three? The old 'oh no you've captured me PSYCH now my body is being controlled by a kung-fu master' trick?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

theironjef posted:

We're doing a LARP again (they have to come up every once in a while) and this time it's a fun excuse to dance around finally covering Call of Cthuhlu by covering the LARP version instead. With that, here's Cthuhlu Live.

I played that, it was called 'growing up in New England'. Every so often one of us would suggest playing CoC in one of the omnipresent Civil War graveyards or ruined churchyards, but it never really happened.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

So 'Animal Man, but in WW2' is now a viable character concept? Minus the bit where he's vegetarian.

quote:

Idea started with the Hearthstone item from World of Warcraft which teleports the player back to an inn. Which got me thinking, "What if the party isn't going out and doing these adventures, but telling the people at the inn about them after they're over." Which explains why they keep telling the same story (running the dungeons) over and over; and why, when they get too drunk and blurt out "And then fifty whelps came from both sides and killed everyone!" the party just rewinds back to before they said that.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is this as a Western videogame and it's awesome. It also explains why the PC meets every single famous gunslinger.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Dragonmech feels like it's 2 injections of Weird Fiction and one workers' collective mech away from a China Mieville setting.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

The Brown Acid doesn’t have any merits attached to it because it’s a drug. The weakness is you can’t switch without the drug. Fortunately the drug isn’t physically addictive but there are Long Term Consequences to repeatedly abusing ketamine.

So they've started using ketamine to treat depression in the real world. What if in the nWoD they're doing the same thing, and it works because of the body swapping.

I always find it strange when they introduce brain uploading to an otherwise standard supernatural setting (Hellblazer, X-Files). Shouldn't that become the setting? It's digital immortality & the show or comic treats it like a one-off bit of weirdness instead of something that fundamentally changes society.

I do like how you could use both of these for voluntary body swaps.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Godlike is downright hostile to flexible, versatile power sets like shapeshifting. You'd want a huge Transform pool, with some hefty Flaws (has to "borrow" ability from nearby animal, can only use ones that make sense) to offset the cost. But Transform costs hella Will points to use.

I forgot he could borrow animal powers. I was thinking of a character with a seemingly useless 'talk to and command animals' using all those weird bat bombs and minesweeper dolphins and whatnot.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Gambler would be so cool if it was a Last Call poker wizard, or a Deadlands poker wizard, or even Literally Gambit, since this book is already 90s as hell.

Also here is a real sentence: He declared that his Juicer wields four tons of force—“enough to lift two Teslas,” he said.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Play's The Thing seems like it'd be great in classrooms or other non-traditional RPG venues. English Literature classes to get students to engage differently with the texts, theatre classes as another kind of structured improv game than what's already done, Shakespeare anniversary celebrations like the ones that are on now, that sort of thing.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

For a figure PCs are more likely to fight, we have "The Slayer", who is a grim no-name badass who we're told that he's "one of the deadliest hand to hand fighters in the world". It turns out he's a former rookie cyber-knight named Artorias who was traumatized when he and companions fought an evil elder dragon. He froze and then fled, and then went on to become a dragon juicer in the service of the Society of Sage.

Ok so I looked up 'Artorias' and there's a zillion pages of Dark Souls and one sparse Wiki entry. Was RIFTS ever translated into Japanese? This could blow the Souls lore community wide open!
(Also those jetpack/mech suits from a few pages up remind me of Nier, but they probably came from Macross originally?)

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The most Joycean RPG is Unknown Armies, since Avatars are normal people reenacting mythical archetypes, just like the characters in Ulysses (there are even charts with their mythological correspondences to Humors/Numbers/Colors etc).

I had an idea for a campaign where Dublin-based Bibliomancers & Cliomancers fought to preserve Dublin exactly as it was on Bloomsday, the date Ulysses takes place, but it might be too niche.

And China Mieville somehow started his brilliantly weird worlds by playing standard D&D, but I'm not sure how.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The Purified sound like a class for NPC mentors - your Ancient Ones or Obi Wan Kenobis. They sound less dynamic to play than the other Immortals.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The Tzimisce are great conceptually.

'What if Dracula, but also intense body horror and flesh monsters?'

I always think of Jedah from Darkstalkers as a Tzimisce.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

All I can picture is Grimoire Weiss from Nier, floating around & talking smack.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Fantasy Alex Jones seems like a cool character concept to try and kick around.

http://www.publicmedievalist.com/pizzagate-cults/

There's an article on medieval conspiracy theories.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'd just like to chime in that 'Dr. Moreau's Most Lovable PMC' would be a pretty great campaign concept in anything but Rifts. Pugmire meets Mad Max, what's not to love?

Grant Morrison's We3?

http://comicsalliance.com/we3-comic/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Is Daeren or someone else going to finish the Powerchords review? It sounds horrible and problematic, but I still believe in the mystical, trancendent power of rock and roll. I’ve been trying to turn it into RPG form for 15 years (anyone want my notes on a Hold Steady/Unknown Armies game or my Springsteen/Gaslight Anthem/Mountain Goats/THS/Ezra Furman/Tom Waits/Nick Cave Monster of the Week settings. Time of Mysteries has two rock and roll style adventures), based on things like Scott Pilgrim and Wild Zero and Phonogram. I have a whole idea for heroic rock and rollers fighting dance music cyborgs. There’s Starchildren:Velvet Generation, a glam rock RPG reviewed here, and someone was working on a mythical blues based WOD game (I played a blues musician in Mage).

You think there’d be more metal games based on the overlap with them and RPGs.

So any material would help my own ideas, even if that’s full of sexual assault and liking KISS. I want to write a PBTA hack based on the power of rock and roll (the write up complained about the lack of hip hop, my game would go further & not acknowledge any musical styles outside of rock, punk, and indie, tho I suppose I should make options for them but I have no knowledge of them at all). Dance music would probably work like Banality in Changeling, dulling the mind and the senses. Power would be based on authenticity and fire. I’m not sure about obscurity, since artists like Springsteen still have some of the power, but popularity would hurt it.

I was gonna make an Unknown Armies school based on wanting music to be both more and less popular. You need your obscure records.

I can suggest as an alternative My Jam, a music based LARP based on Monsterhearts. You pick a song, and when that’s playing you have power over everything. It’s set in a high school dance and has an amazing set up and splats.

quote:

You will be playing Robert Johnson Memorial High School students attending the [current season] dance, for whatever reasons high school students go to dances. Some of you are here to dance, some of you are here to hang out with friends, some of you are here to cause trouble, and some of you are here because you have nothing better to do. But all of you are also here because music is magic.
You know this because each one of you is a musarch, able to transform the energy of your favorite music into incredible magical effects. The nature and presentation of this magic varies by individual, but regardless of manifestation, you are the most powerful musarchal willworkers: teenagers. Tonight, this gymnasium is your place of power.
Your magic is powerful, but is limited by the music playing. If this were your house party and you had full control of the playlist, you’d be holding court. At the dance, everyone here gets to request music, so your power will wax and wane as the night goes on. When your chosen song (your Jam) is playing, you have virtually unstoppable power. You will wear or brandish these laurels [show laurels] to symbolize your authority and power. Your word is law. A word from you can change the course of another’s night, and maybe their life; affecting the will of another requires nothing more than explaining your desire. You are the arbiter of all disputes, and your decisions are binding. For those brief minutes, you are the god of the dance floor.

I love this because it symbolises exactly how music makes you feel! No matter how bad things get, if I put on No Surrender or This Year, i’m powerful for those few minutes, I can do anything!

The relationship establishing mechanic is amazing: it’s gently caress, Marry, Kill.

quote:

Cool. Now you’re going to reintroduce yourselves, maybe letting the other players know a little more of your character. Then you’re going to engage in a time-honored method of establishing truths about interpersonal relationships: by playing gently caress, Marry, Kill.
In case you’re not familiar with this rigorous scientific activity, here’s how it works: each of you will choose three separate people in your group and choose which one you’d most like to gently caress, which one you’d most like to marry, and which one you’d most like to kill.
You don’t have to take this literally! In fact, you almost certainly shouldn’t. As a general rule, gently caress indicates an intense but possibly transitory relationship, like a crush or a fixation. Marry should indicate a more established, generally positive, relationship, like a close friendship or an existing romantic relationship. Kill should indicate a generally negative
or hostile relationship, like a rivalry or the relationship between frenemies. You’re free to interpret these as you wish.
When you choose someone to gently caress, marry or kill, briefly explain what that relationship looks like to you, and give the target of that designation the opportunity to refine or add some information to the relationship. Nothing needs to be reciprocal: you might think someone who hates you is your best friend! Remember: this is high school. Take a few minutes to sort out your relationship.

I like this, it’s simple but evocative of the high school setting.

The Splats are great because they embody the different ways of relating to music without boxing you into a genre.

quote:

Melancholy
Everything sucks. You’re surrounded by assholes all day long, nothing makes any sense, and nobody understands you. Well, almost nobody. There’s this song, or artist, or genre that just...yeah.
Every genre has its sad songs and its sad sacks, from the goths gazing into the abyss and hoping for it to gaze back, to the country kids yearning for their lost loves or dogs or trucks down at the honky-tonk, to the white collar children of blue collar parents pining for a New Jersey they don’t quite understand looming on the periphery of a Springsteen concert. They’re everywhere, and they can always spot one another, because misery loves company.

This is so evocative and encompasses so much powerful music, from The Smiths and Springsteen but also Sad Boys/cloud rap/emo rap/gothboiclique. You could do some terrifying stuff with Nick Cave songs. It also emphasises the high school roll of the outsider and how, as Meat Loaf sings, if you hold on to a chorus you can make it through the night.

quote:

Fanatical
They’ve heard your song, but have they ever really listened to it? They’ll have to when the DJ finally gets around to it, and then you’ll have your eight minutes and fourty-three seconds of bliss.
The one thing you and your covenmates have in common is the certainty that each of you evangelizes the one true audio gospel. The rest of them are wrong, of course, you gotta respect their devotion. Some of you are indie rock purists, others are rockists in general. You’ve got jazz aficionados and novelty music enthusiasts, and probably someone who straddles the middle and only talks about Frank Zappa. But who knows? Maybe you’re all climbing different paths up the same mountain...

The rest of this post pretty handily demonstrates what this mindset looks like from the inside. We are, as the Bouncing Souls once sang, the the true believers, and we create entire religions and cosmologies devoted to our favourite bands in song.

quote:

Chill
Who cares what you listen to as long as it makes you feel amaaaaazing. There’s a tranquil pool in the center of your consciousness, and music is the best way to submerge yourself into that.
Maybe it’s the hypnotic beats, or melodic arrangements, or vocal harmonies that get you into your happy place, but the point of music is to connect you to your truest self, and the truest selves around you, and the way you do that is through inner peace. Can’t you just... feel it?

I don’t really understand how you’d play them, except for comedy stoners, Deadheads, or vaporwavers. But that’s cool. That’s for the players. And I understand people listen to music that way.

quote:

Hype
What’s the point of coming out to dance and listen to music if it doesn’t make you feel GREAT!?!? Given the right soundtrack, tonight could be one of the best nights of your life, and you’re here to remind people of that.
Maybe your DJ sets bring every rave to the next level, or maybe your playlists keep marathon study sessions going ALL NIGHT LONG. Music is all about ENERGY!!!

Another splat that I don’t intuitively understand, but definitely one that’s needed for role playing and dynamics. Especially since it’s a LARP and you’re actually playing these songs, the other players would probably love their music. It also fits the high school setting. You have massive nights, every song is right...

quote:

Aggro
gently caress this poo poo. You have to go to school every day. Your parents are the worst. The entire world is falling apart. Relationships don’t make any sense. Nobody really understand you and it’s PISSING YOU OFF.
You might be into punk, rap, metal, or anything that reflects and amplifies the RAGE inside you. Maybe you have a cause, maybe you have dozens, or maybe you just like picking fights. Whatever the reason, you’ve got a lot of anger to work out, and your favorite music reflects that.

Another very easy to understand subculture, since so much teenage music is built around this. In a LARP setting they’d have to work hard not to get too aggro and upset people but it’s perfect for the setting.

The character sheet is just a series of questions. For example, the Melencholic:

quote:

Name: Pronouns: I try to present myself as:
People see me as:
The truth I’d be most embarrassed to reveal:
The world-changing ritual I would enact if I were elected Dance Monarch: I share my pain with the world by:
Something no one understands about me:
What keeps me from falling into total despair is:

The first four are universal, the last 4 depend on the splat, and they do a good job of getting you into character, tho i’d like some PBTA style moves.

All in all, My Jam is a cool idea i’d love to run, but I still think we need more rock