Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

darthbob88 posted:

If anybody's at all interested, Spire is doing a Kickstarter for a sourcebook; they are fully funded and approaching the "Even more art" and 10th scenario stretch goals.

I discovered this because one writer I follow felt called out by the Inksmith class.

...I think I'm the writer in question, albeit I was mostly joking because of the protagonist of the Blockbuster vignettes.

It feels weird to be referred to as "A writer someone follows", somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Nah, it's not so much 'no credit' and more 'imposter syndrome', no worries.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The same Satan that Kirk befriended?

TAS rules.

It always amused me that the one actually benevolent and chill super-powered alien god figure the Enterprise encountered was literally Satan. Other gods? All assholes, but Satan has your back and is worried for you.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

What happened with Satan, exactly? Also, hey, Satan's allowed to be a chill guy when he's not trying a case.

So basically, the enterprise is investigating the center of the galaxy for technobabble reasons about finding a "Creation point" where new matter is being expelled into the universe. When they do so they wind up getting sucked into an alternate universe or region of space where magic works and the ship is breaking down when a red-skinned satyr named "Lucien" appears, who fixes up the ship and warns them to be careful because the physical laws are different here.

Naturally, because the enterprise, they start experimenting with magic. Spock first, then Sulu, and then everyone's conjuring poo poo. Lucien shows up, warns them that they're going to get in trouble for messing around with this, but is too late, because suddenly the bridge crew is standing trial in not-Salem under judge Asmodeus. Apparently the local inhabitants had been to earth in the past but got misunderstood and were driven out as witches. They defend themselves because hey, humanity' progressed since the 1690s, and so the locals agree to let them go but want to punish Lucien instead. Kirk being Kirk defends Lucien, even after the judge is like "You realize he's the Devil, right? Literally the Earth's devil." But Kirk is still willing to lay down his life to protect someone who's been nothing but good to them, and this impresses the judges and Lucien goes unpunished and the enterprise is freed, with hints that they might allow earth visitors in the future.

So tl;dr The Enterprise makes friends with the devil and defends him in a reverse witch trial.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So it's supposed to be super-obvious that Ogres are what happens to goblins that disappear into the forest, right?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Part of the reason no one's really done a LOTFP review is because there was a WTF D&D about the Grindhouse edition that covers everything you really need to know.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Broodrats are an especially weird take given how important the rat princess was in the story that Skaven (And D&D wererats) basically originate from.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The one time I actually got to play, I did a purebreed Morpheus who used the optional character creation to just have Morph Vehicle 5 starting out, because by god, I was going to be a giant robot pilot. An important lesson was learned in that you shouldn't rely on vehicle armor only.

But I vote Black Dog+ Hanuman because thunder+lightning and also the fastest thing on two cyberlegs.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 19, 2018

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Having your powers literally externalized into a Stand/Persona is actually a thing in the last book that got officially translated for the line before Ver Blue went dark.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Weirdly, my favorite thing about Chimera as a syndrome has nothing to do with turning into a werewolf, it's that their ranged attack power is basically just

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The new timeline is basically "What Clan coup", the Scorpion Champion is the loyal regent to child-emperor Daisetsu.

So basically...none of that's happened.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Fun fact on Ursula's cult: The giant worms, the cult, and Ursula herself are an example of Shane stealing from himself, as they all first appeared in a product he wrote for Bloodshadows, "The Wilderness".

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Wait so, Deadlands has loving aliens? This seems like a strange thing to just breeze over in a side quest rather than something that's a major plot point.

It was a major plot point in the original adventure it featured in, but that adventure was also terrible.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's probably because it's 4Chan and they're making a dumb reference to the equally dumb tvtrope thing about stockings.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I am going to note, the core book Martial Arts are way more fun to read than any of the Solar trees. They're nicely contained, they all provide an interesting combat suite, and they do stuff that's much more interesting than generic die tricks most of the time.

It's almost like they're written by someone else.

Who later went on to take over the line.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Arguably, minor magic rituals should just use skills. Bind spirits with Bureaucracy, ensure good crops with Craft (Wood), get mad gains with Athletics.

This is how Fragged Kingdom does a lot of its magic. If you take one of the "I'm a type of wizard" traits, you get "Magic" as a toolbox for relevant skills. So assuming a wizard and a normal dude are both trained in perception and examine a murder scene, the normal guy finds a clue, the wizard has a brief vision of the killer that provides the same amount of info, assuming all other things being equal.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Honestly Exalted could benefit from something like Godbound or Mage the Awakening's improv magic systems. Just say "ok these are the themes of the splat and what they can and cannot do, charms are your rote powers you buy because they're cheaper to do than improv".

Notably this is literally what Scion 2E seems to be doing with purviews. Hero has two example boons for each one and then there's general guidelines on improv magic, almost like maybe they learned some sort of lesson.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

At some point I absolutely will play a Dragon-blooded phantom thief who plays the useless noble fop by day and fights for the common people behind a mask at night and also makes clues pointing to them being the same person explode.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, Holden and Morke being so proud to get Grabowski to write for the line again is why the corebook has a rant about fiat currency.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Bill Paxton/Matthew McConaughey vehicle Frailty seems like the most "Hunter the Reckoning as the fiction is written" movie despite coming out after the game and thus not being in the inspirations list.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The folks designing the other lines really didn't have much input on how things worked for other games they weren't the lead designers for, despite what certain usenet conspiracy theorists tried to convince people of back in the day.

(There were a lot of folks really convinced that Justin Achilli was some sort of sinister mastermind forcing the mage developers to make Vampires more important in the metaplot than mages instead of just a weird dude who was really into wrestling.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Peasant is great!

So I related the story about Mike Pondsmith getting barred from a convention in the CP2077 thread, and someone asked me where I heard it. I realized it's basically an urban legend I've been repeating. Anyone have a source on that?

Never heard about him getting banned from a convention but he -did- get impersonated at a GAMA trade show he didn't attend once. White dude showed up bold as brass claiming to be him and if someone who knew Mike hadn't been present probably would have gotten away with it.

Also just general "People claiming to know him to his face while talking to him and apparently not reading his name badge" incidents.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Move silently and hide in shadows were separate things as far back as the first appearance of thieves in Greyhawk, I think, so it's more that "Why do this" is a later addition.