Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Well since I'm being nice and waiting on Beast, I might as well do something else.

Wait, what's this

I don't remember ordering this.

I̢̲͎̳̪s҉͈̗̘ ̝̹my͓̭͈̠ ̠̰͟ṋ͈̤̖͜o̻̳̤̜͙͚s̛̬̭̤͈̟̮e͚̪̞̜̦ ̡͍̜̝b̻l̺e͔̼͍ȩd̖̫̺̹̖̣͙i̛̲̠̻͚̜n͏̗̲̰̺̜̫̯g̟͍̬͕?͕͈

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I feel you're somewhat biased in this regard.

I can't help it; even if you savage the book I'm always happy for feedback. :v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Alan Moore makes Winnie the Pooh creepy by making him and the other British funny animals Doctor Moreau's experiments.

That's Rupert the Bear, not Winnie the Pooh.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Traveller posted:

I'm not gonna front, I'd play this. :allears: Pulp horror supers against Nazis!

If it's wrong to want to play Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos as werewolves as drawn by Ron Spencer then I don't want to be right.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

Half of the Camarilla claimed Rasputin as one of theirs at least, and they assigned him to the Corax in the back of some V:DA adventure book (Transylvania Chronicles?). I think that latter one was an easter egg.

Malkavian Rasputin transubstantiating Communion wine to blood, and muttering about how 'these midnight Masses are the only thing keeping me alive' remains my first and favourite.

Rasputin was one (or more) of a Brujah, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Ventrue, Follower of Set, Shadow Lord, Cultist of Ecstasy, or Puppeteer according to various books.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Don't think so. Does Trail of Cthulhu have some options for turning up the pulp, maybe?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Midjack posted:

I don't think either God or Lucifer ever gets statted at all in this game.

edit: And I'm OK with that.

That is the best way to handle it. Leaving it to GM fiat means that a human can beat the Devil with a fiddle in Georgia (or a guitar in Scunthorpe), without having it as a codified weakness that the characters can game.

Now I want to do bleak 80s UK In Nomine with a soundtrack of the Toy Dolls. What small rays of hope can you find in Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Hull, or Sunderland as they get bleaker every week?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Ashes to Ashes (the TV show)?

Nowhere near bleak enough, but that's what you get from something set in That London.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

And let's put it this way, if I discover my 'goddess' allowed me to be raped five times, become a junkie, I'm not putting that anathame to me, I'd loving shank her because who needs a god like that?

Every urban fantasy game should have at least one group of armed antitheists, out to murder the gods either because they could do better but didn't, or because this is the best they can manage.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Hostile V posted:

You know how there's that medical condition where your heart is on the right side, dextrocardia? Well here comes it's bizarre uncle, Regenerating Skull Syndrome.

Or he switched places with a double, or you didn't ENTIRELY decapitate him properly, or the royal chirurgeon gets there and the five second rule is good so he can just sew the guy's head back on but now he has a BADASS SCAR to show off to demoralize you. Or maybe when you're Immortal From Passion like the game presumes, you just have stupid amounts of tenacity and willpower so the guy will eventually get up, tuck his head under his arm and carry himself to a hospital.

Actually out of the ones I wrote I picked the "vat of acid" one to be the most thorough dead. I wrote that under the assumption that the guy fell in and his opponent just waited and watched to make sure he got all fizzled away.

This, unironically.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

I love everything about the Ghost Wolves. The art, the stereotypes, the whole idea of being an outsider to this elaborate mythic culture and purpose. I'm really pleased that there's an in-character voice saying of the Tribes "you are out of your loving minds," that quote was my exact reaction to the Storm Lords.

The Ghost Wolf sig character's art note is "Timothy Spall on a bad day, maybe with some bloodstains".

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

This is due to bad playtesting, IIRC. The developers only had like one group of playetesters and didn't find the problem of how hard it is for two werewolves in Gauru form to kill each other without somebody else to tip the scales.

Gauru vs Gauru having a hard time killing each other is entirely deliberate to prevent 1-vs-1 match-ups, and to encourage

Roland Jones posted:

Harry the prey, separate it, and bring it down with numbers? Hunting is a pack activity, after all.

as a tactic. Werewolves are hunters, not fighters.

Silver weapons are a game-changer, but Dalu's not the best way to use them. Gauru can wield'em just as well as Dalu, and has better healing if you're taking damage from anything other than silver.

Re: Blood Talons, playing dirty and using silver are both very much their deal (and an Elodoth can argue "People don't murder the People" doesn't include the Pure anyway). You can't just go out and be a badass and hope to kill a werewolf. You have to use every advantage you've got..

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes, Fragged Empire may be the first sci-fi game where you can be a space-traveling murderhobo and be a published scientific author with a paper on the aquatic life of a planet with methane seas that you discovered when your ship got lost that one time. How loving cool is that?

:swoon: I must play this!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

For the longest time, the only contact I had with Mutant Chronicles was the rulebook for the Warzone minis game, which I picked up from the second-hand pile in my FLGS. The system was OK at best, but that art. :swoon:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Really, we need way more supernatural procedurals.

I've said it before, but VASCU is my love letter to police procedurals (since the outline was "Psychic FBI agents. Go."). In my mind, it had to account for agents who run the gamut from DCI Jane Tennyson to John Luther; Columbo to Dave Robicheaux.

It's one of the CofD things I'm happiest with, and I'd love a chance to revisit them.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

No, 1200 is about right.

I was going to review FATAL, so I read it. I couldn't do better than MacLennan/Sartin, so never finished.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

And we’re back again with another stunning look at…

Part 8: Character Foci Part II
Let’s pick up right where we left off.

Yo. Sup!

I can't be the only one to see that as a lumpy green Z'gok.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Doresh posted:

Okay. How about a WoD fansplat that deliberately chooses the most bland and lazy proper nouns you could think of?

You are The Good Guys! Your Job is to Protect The World from The Bad Guys.

Your Archetypes include "Strong Guy", "Smart Guy", "Sneaky Guy", "Sexy Guy" and "Not Quite As Good As The Other Good Guys But Still A Good Guy"

Your Organisation can be "Corporate Dudes", "Aristocrats", "Church Dudes", "Occult Dudes", "Hippies", "Punks I Guess" and "Nerrrrrrds"

So D20 Modern? :v:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Bar Crow posted:

Mech games hate mechs.

The same terrible impluses that produce bad RPG rules also compels people to explain why mechs aren't realistic.

Counterpoint: Remnants

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Thoughts on the Oddities: Well I do like the Brown Acid for its urban legend vibe and for the fact that it’s only something that kicks in erratically. But unfortunately I don’t think it has much staying power for you to base a campaign around it; it kinda sounds like it’s an occasional tool for the PCs to use or experiment with. Death.com is less interesting and it’s mostly just bland technophobia. The fact that it’s all just “WOOOOOO~, WHO MADE THIS~. OOOOOOOH~” doesn’t do much to endear it to me when it’s abundantly clear that it’s a piece of God Machine tech and it probably makes Angels somehow. That’s not mentioned anywhere in the book, this is just me reading this in the year 2017 and having it on the same hard drive as my copy of Demon: The Descent.

At the time, it really wasn't a bit of God-Machine tech or an Angel-maker, simply because Demon (and the God-Machine Chronicle) weren't even a glimmer in the milkman's eye at the point that Immortals was being written, and it wasn't likely at the time that we'd ever use the God-Machine again, let alone that it'd evolve into the form it did for GMC/Demon.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Assuming more Slaan would fix anything. I always got the sense the problems for the Lizards were A: They're biological expert systems operating on information that has since become very out of date, and was partial anyway, and B: Lord Mazdamundi is unhelpful. Very unhelpful. It really depends on the degree to which Slaan can actually adapt, like Skinks.

Was there ever a WFRP book covering Lizardmen/Lustria? If not, what's the best source for stuff on these biological dinosaur expert systems?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm imagining a human knight who just wants to be a bit dark and brooding, so he becomes a knight in Mousillon, and the local knights invite him to a gathering... where it turns out they're all undead(though otherwise reasonably pleasant). So he keeps his visor down and tries his best not to out himself as a human.

Better yet, in true Monstrous Regiment style, all of the local knights are actually normal humans, desperately trying to keep their secret from the others, because they're convinced that they're the only one.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Young Freud posted:

You bring that up and suddenly I want a Warhammer Modern. A Warhammer 2K20, if you will.

Funny you should mention that. Put this together a few weeks ago on a similar vague idea. Needs setting. Getting lots of ideas from this thread. I've got a few improvements in mind, and it needs a lot of polish, but it might float someone's boat.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

wdarkk posted:

That feels like an awfully high bar to clear. I'm filled with dread.

I picked up a copy on a whim when it first came out.

It pole-vaults that bar with ease.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Lastexodus.com was supposed to complement this book and give you your metaplot updates from there, no need for setting books. In fact, even if they printed any of the listed “Upcming Products”, none of those books are adventures or story content. Somehow, this book contains 18 pages of pure metaplot backstory and 40 pages of setting detail and a set of throw-away, single paragraph-long suggestions for possible alternate campaign plots at the back of the book are more playable than the INTERACTIVE STORY ARC the game is named after.

I got curious because I couldn't remember seeing anything of worth on lastexodus.com when I first got the book (shortly after release). Sure enough, the Wayback Machine confirms it...

That's from May 16th. Skarka's involvement makes all deadlines impossible. So if you got the book at release, you had none of the promised updates for over a month.

The next update is post-9/11 (Wayback captured it in November 2001), and includes a link to the Red Cross and this pop-up:

I vaguely remember the site having advertisements for upcoming books in the meantime (and no metaplot updates), but I can't find any direct evidence of that.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thanks for confirming that there was never an actual way to play the metaplot they just spent 6 pages defining and telling you you cant interrupt. The book claims you were supposed to be able to upload your characters and campaign notes to the website, so thats what I assume those dead links are. It is never made clear but the feeling I get is that the story was planned to change based on aggregate player choices.

If its ok, Id like to include your notes in the next update.

The dead links in the first one are to announcements/descriptions (going by the link URLs), there was no means of uploading characters or campaign notes.

Feel free to include whatever, it's all good.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

The idea that gods are literally powered in some way by belief or souls is like a generation old at this point. If you think "shadow manipulators of the night are behind all the evil men do" is trite, I think "gods get MP from people doing praise rituals' has to be like doubly so.

Not power from praise, but the souls of the dead - when humans die, their overall moral weighting (:can:) pushes their soul towards "Heaven" or "Hell". Whichever side gets your soul, it's broken downed used as ammunition for extraordinary weapons in an endless war.

Praise doesn't matter, behaviour only changes what colour of laser comes out of the gun you're powering, and all of human morality only has any effect on which side gets more ammunition out of this particular factory-planet.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cascade Jones posted:

I call bullshit on that whole list of inspirational media. It’s great that James Sutter just put down his Netflix queue and GoodReads lists, but it’s useless in actually being inspirational for Starfinger. Like really, how’s this game remotely inspired by anything from The Expanse, EVE Online, Westworld and Traveller except in the most general of vaguely spacey, vaguely futuristic terms?

They included Blindsight.

After coming up with reheated tedious garbage like Starfinger, I'm surprised they could write the title of the book without their pants spontaneously combusting.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If you decide to roll up as a team you have about a 4% chance to do so, yeah. Collegiate Mutant Undergraduate Turkeys doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles never really did, either!

"Collegiate Mutant Undergrad Turkeys" scans just fine.

Some people use concrete boots to cover their crimes, I have trochaic tetrameter. If it was good enough for the Kalevala...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I can't help but wonder if the best way to run CoC is with two characters per player: one smart but action-averse, one who is willing to strap a boat to their forehead and headbutt Cthulhu to death.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sorry, no, I meant the general TradGames discord.

Don't we have like twenty of them because someone threw a shitfit or something?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

At least one cult should work like Cobra in the GI Joe comics: one part Amway, one part terrorists, lead by a used-car-salesman who got pissed off with his lot in life but who recruited a whole bunch of true believer fanatics (and a really terrible poet).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

Yeah the IK RPG - the one they made themselves, not with the OGL content - is very much a somewhat more nuanced version of Warmachine/Hordes. There isn't a lot of scaling in it. Based on my limited tooling around the result is something like Final Fantasy Tactics: Your fights are nasty and demand tactics but you will probably be able to recover between fights quite readily. I could be high though.

An F&F of the new IK RPG would be good. I tried to read it but couldn't get past what felt like two thousand pages of the writers masturbating over the ancient history of the setting, despite it having no bearing in actual play. Nobody coming into the game who isn't already a Warmahordes nerd gives a toss what happened thousands of years ago, so don't front-load that bullshit.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

JcDent posted:

I mean, I only know about the TT game, but two undead dragon factions are major players, Menoth's (god of Mankind) followers are striking out of their desert to reclaim lands, elves are going after humans because they believe that human magic is killing their gods, and so on. Maybe frontloading all of that backstory isn't too important/would make playing chars IC harder, but I have never read the IK rpg books.

None of that is conveyed by starting the history section thousands of years ago. If it was tied in to what the characters are expected to know, then it'd be something, but there's no indication in that section if anything is specifically relevant because it's dried than Mercury.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Payndz posted:

The Warhams talk made me wonder: has anyone ever written a modern-day (ish) setting for Warhammer? Like a warped version of our world with Chaos infecting people over the internet and rat-men skulking in the sewers ready to pop up through the U-bend.

I put together a very brief thing about a Warhammer-esque urban fantasy that might get revised and expanded (and finished) if I ever get a Patreon off the ground.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ronwayne posted:

Draculas vs Skeleton Clown God is also one of the better match ups in the game.

Now I want to run a game where draculas are not necessarily trying to defeat the Skeleton Clown God, just to remove the curse around Sigmarite symbols. Because then they could show the appropriate dedication, piety, and so on, and get Sylvania officially recognised as separate from Stirland and the Count of Sylvania (Mannfred would need... removed, of course) promoted to an official Elector Count, gaining greater political legitimacy. And, because vampires, a good crack at being Emperor in a couple of hundred years.

I'm envisioning a lot of legal battles, that breaks out into magical duels. WHFRP meets the Craft Sequence.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, does it go into how exactly he did this because that is loving incredible.

I'm kinda glad they didn't because that's my next campaign right there.

Lie, cheat, swindle, and bullshit your way into doing good and getting rascally drunk. That's a one-way street to fuckin' sainthood.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

One day, I would love to see Night compile a History of the Old World including crap like the Slann/Old Ones that doesn’t get explained in the WHFRP books directly.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't know why, but "aquatic barbarian" just gives me the strangest mental images. Mostly because I'm imagining a berserking barbarian crossing the sea bed by yelling all the time and never stopping to take a breath, so he can't drown, or a furious barbarian just swimming out to a ship in the middle of the ocean and suplexing it into Davy Jones' locker.

Every setting is better with supercavitating barbarian hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Giant robot RPG's seem to fall afoul of three things in my experience.

Firstly, if they're based off a specific franchise, especially in case of videogames, they tend to obsessively try to copy the mechanics and specifics rather than the feel, which leads us to the hilarity that is Final Fantasy pen and paper homebrews. Haaaaaaaaaah.

Secondly, they fall afoul of RPG Vehicle Mechanics where they have separate mechanics for being on-foot and in-robot and that never works out well. If your vehicle rules are a minigame, you may as well pack it up and go home.

Thirdly, a lot of them are homebrews/hacks based off of systems that are not for giant robots and thus fundamentally support them very poorly, rather than being original systems in their own right.

Remnants doesn't really do any of these, though it may be a bit rules-light for some.