Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This book is gay. Like, super gay. I think the new team put in something like twenty gay pairings and one token heterosexual (unrequited). This trend will continue in future books, presumably to infinity.

Also, the next artifact is best of all, because it's the one I came up with. (I'm still not completely sure about Vance's ruling that a naginata is. mechanically a kind of axe, though.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I mean, that's why I like it? I am gay, you know.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

All-Conquering Colossus kind of makes every other artifact in the book constructed as a gift to your girlfriend seem a bit shabby.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

For extra good times, you do the thing our Night did in the playtest where she used Lock-Evading Touch to just mosey on into the cockpit and attack the pilot personally.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, everybody but the Realm and Lookshy have very sparse details here, but they get the lavish spread treatment to make it clear that they're character options with equal weight.

I think you could adequately describe the Forest Witches by staying that they're engaged in magical transhumanist cyberpunk in the middle of the Exalted setting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Any more details on this? It sounds like an amusing bit of design drama.

Basically, the gilmyne in Games of Divinity have a myth about the Saigoth Gates, which are... well, I forget, but the point is they don’t exist but the gilmyne believe in them.

Somebody wrote them into Dreams of the First Age, pissing off all the other writers because “what if the myth... is actually true???” is the most obvious possible take and using it on the gilmyne takes away something they had that was different.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

And then a later writer, if I remember correctly, claimed that Saigoth was an artificial continent constructed by a First Age Solar who was sick and tired of searching for the Saigoth Gates of the gilmyne. Therefore, Saigoth never really existed, but a Solar named their continent that because that's how First Age Solars do, if they can't find the thing they're convinced exist they make one themselves.

These were both in Dreams of the First Age, but yeah.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing about Mnemon in 2e is that she was a heinous bitch with no real good qualities and everybody in the setting knew this.

The thing I like about Mnemon in 3e is that I'm not actually sure whether she has real good qualities now or whether maybe she just has a much better front.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

The Iselsi are good precisely where they diverge from being unstoppable vengeance assassins, and arrive at 'the deeply embittered remnants of one of the Empress' political games who are now on a course to destroy themselves and the Realm unless enough of them can be convinced to abandon the Vendetta.' Plus it means that the core theme of the DBs as heroes, friendship and camaraderie, are the tools that will save the Dynasty from the specter of its brutal backstabbing ways, if anything can.

On the other hand, we can all agree that Iselsi Takura is obviously a Lunar pretending to be Iselsi Takura right? Like, seriously, 'I came back from learning about sublime mystic poisons with a different face, name, and gender identity... but it's definitely me' seems like the loudest possible shout of 'I am a Lunar Anathema here to make sure your Vendetta destroys the Realm' one could let out.

I mean, if it’s a Lunar, why look like someone else? That’s the one thing a Lunar doesn’t have to do.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The game has also always been clear that beastmen in particular are absolutely human (and some of them are Exalted), and that having Opinions about you makes you a racist.

Although, they were never exclusively from the Wyld, and that's still true in 3e even though 3e has been power-walking back the idea that beastmen come from some Lunar having sex with a snake.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...yes, bestiality is still on the list of options; they just made "establish a freaky magical training ground" the preferred method of beastman creation for Lunars who have fur but aren't furry.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Almost nobody can put books out fast enough any longer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

to be fair this happened to me too

In all seriousness please help, I don't understand how it works

Ultimately Chuubo is just a game with two parallel systems for determining what happens. One is a traditional action resolution system that determines how effective the actions you take can be. The other is a story engine that measures your progress in life via a series of predetermined milestones.

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

If I were going to compare knowledge of "the true facts" by Immaculates in Exalted to anything, it would probably be to the Book of Revelation. There is a huge number of people, including educated clerics, who believe that the Book of Revelation is a literal and prophetic guide to our future, in spite of the fact that even a base-level knowledge of the facts behind it will tell you that it's a political allegory from two thousand years ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, which books for Feng Shui are actually worth reading? I'm going to go ahead and assume "anything with Greg Stolze's name on it" because that's a given, but.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

/applauds this useful summary.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, Invisible Sun is pretty short on ideas. It's full of little weirdnesses but none of them really mean anything.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Weapons of the Gods basically amounts to "we got this license to build our kung-fu game around because it was a very cheap way to fill our book with Tony Wong's art."

It may actually be the only good business decision Eos ever made.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, Continuum and Narcissist explicitly run on different sets of assumptions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, nearly all the World of Darkness games have multiple different games and genres inside them; it's key to their success. Vampire can be about The Anguish of My Dark Soul, or it can be about Trenchcoat Fangs Slay Bloodsuckers With Katanas.

Hunter's internal games just... don't really harmonize with each other, largely because they rely on incompatible sets of facts rather than just letting you have a game about Blade over here and a game about Lestat over here.

(Changeling was the other example where the multiple concepts inside it didn't mesh into a single whole, although C20 more or less worked this out.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

It's really bizarre how, for the last stretch of 2e, the devs thought Infernals were the most popular splat of that edition, and then they did some actual polling and it turns out it was just a bunch of really vocal weirdos who liked the weirdly codified and rigid structure of the charms and demons in general drowning out the majority, and most people didn't really like them at all because of those first chapters to their book being insanely bad.

I don't recall any polling like that happening.

As far as I'm aware, Infernals got a lot of billing in the latter half of 2e because:

1) They were basically built up on stilts that let them hover over the parts of the game system that didn't work. Perfects are the only thing that matters? Well, whatever, Infernals have an entire combat suite based around perfects. This made them a lot easier to write decent mechanics for, until the core system got fixes and the Infernals basically fell apart.

2) The Ink Monkeys had a standing approval to publish Infernal content to the blog, whereas everything else had to go through an interminable approvals process, and they were desperate to blog as much as possible to prevent the line from being cancelled.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

We also know that the primary inspirations are We Know the Devil and Count of Monte Cristo.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure Mal is a failure on multiple levels, given that all of his grand dreams turn to dust, but the text seems to do a bad job of conveying this.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

Someone better with epubs than I am should copy a Chuubo's arc into this thread for comparison, because I'm just poleaxed by Monte Cooke's ability to miss the point.

Well, since you clearly have a person in mind...

Bindings Arcs posted:

Bindings Arcs focus on sealed, bound powers: you develop a facility with containment and targeted use of wicked, forbidden, or dangerous things. They look something like this:
  • Quest 1 establishes you as the kind of person who does this.
  • Quest 2 lets you help someone or do something important.
  • Quest 3 lets you enact a big, decisive plan.
Then, if you haven’t got enough XP to finish out the Arc, or just plain want to do more, you can go on to do:
  • Quest 4 where you remake the world into something more like you think it ought to be.
  • Quest 5 where you explore the effects that that had.
This Arc uses a really loose definition of “wicked, forbidden, or dangerous.” I mean, we’re not just talking about someone who calls up the powers of Hell, here; this is the Arc to use if you have a pet wolf, command a division of not-100%-clean cops, or act as the government handler for a reckless kid and their marvelous wish-granting engine—

If you’re someone whose genre is “the person who controls dangerous forces,” I mean.

If you’re the innocent playing with forces that would kill anyone else; or the pragmatist in control of a ruthless power; or the selfish jerk riding the tiger; or the person who deals with edge and liminal forces because there’s nobody else who can:

That’s what this Arc is about.

Bindings 1 posted:

You have to work with, partner with, or tie your fate to something wrong or in disfavor: a beast; Bleak power; cruel or disliked person; taboo or ill-favored entity; or maybe a ghost, vampire, or witch…

Reward: you’ve hammered out a working relationship with them.

Bindings 2 posted:

There’s someone who needs your help, or something you must do, because you work with the kinds of things you work with.

…Unfortunately, you have no idea what you’re doing. This is big. This is complicated. Maybe leap in feet-first and hope to figure it out as you go?

Reward: you’re oriented now. You have a plan.

Bindings 3 posted:

You risk yourself on a complicated and difficult plan. Usually you know what you’re doing, and you’re doing it right, but you’re doing something so hard and complicated that you might lose midway through anyway.

Result: you win! …unless you already lost. If you already lost, finishing this quest results in the ongoing catastrophe staggering to its natural halt.

Bindings 4 posted:

You’re making a proactive choice or gamble. You’ve decided to fix things, change things, or reveal the truth of how they already are.

Reward: you made an impact. You changed things. Was it right to do so? Time will tell.

Bindings 5 posted:

You explore the consequences of a big decision you made for somebody else.

Result: it’s time to turn your attention to something new.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

The 13th Age Bestiary is still the best monster book I've ever read because it really gives a lot of good advice on how to present the creatures in interesting ways, how to work them into the setting so they're more than just a bunch of numbers, and gives multiple (unique) stat blocks for each monster for a range of levels. So instead of just "Orc" there's mook-level orcs, orc archers, disease-spreading orcs, orc "battle musicians", and big mindless orcs.

Yeah, I completely adopted their format when I started doing my Exalted bestiaries for the Vault, and I don't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

How can you post this tweet here without linking to your creation as well? Why would you deny us this? I beseech thee: :justpost:

He's referring to the Theion Charmset in Shards of the Exalted Dream.