Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Another thing with Exalted CharGen is that you need to do it backwards thanks to how pre-requisites work.

But the same is true of most Storyteller games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Silver Ladder is still the best. Thunder: Imperium is the Sovereign Right of all Humanity, gently caress yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

If we want to get technical, oMage had everyone doing Chaos Magic while the new one has everyone doing a new type of true magic unlike any "real" occult magic, but most occult traditions have some fragment of the truth so someone using Japanese Onmyoudo is as right as someone going full Hermetic.

So funnily enough, if you take both game's metaphysics into account, oMage is the one actually being super eurocentric, despite it's appearance otherwise.
:goonsay:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There was an entire book of nMage devoted to magical traditions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've been slowly going thtough System Mastery and I've just reached the Aberrant D20 episode. You know, it's pretty blatant just how bad the game is compared to it's companions Adventure! And Trinity. Not just mechanically (base game was badly designed way before the D20 version) but just the writing. I still don't get why it's the one people keep talking about instead of the other two.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

kaynorr posted:

The thing about Aberrant is that it got more support than Adventure! (which is to say, any follow-up whatsoever) and it was more interesting that Trinity which suffered from being somewhat bland. And for all the system problems and mediocre writing, it has a genuinely interesting notion at its core (society copes with superheroes by turning them into celebrities) which still sometimes shines through.

Bland isn't a descriptor I'd ever use to describe Trinity.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh man, yeah, Brave New World. It's... almost good in parts? The Power packages are super specific and really unbalanced. One of them is simply the power to blow yourself up over and over.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I don't know if it's a 90s game thing specifically but one reason no one uses premade example characters out of an RPG is that without fail they're always built incorrectly. I don't mean "they aren't at peak optimization," I mean they're built using faulty math, older versions of systems before stuff was changed, have abilities that they couldn't legally take due to lacking prerequisites, and are otherwise riddled with mistakes...and they're frequently terrible at their purported areas of expertise as well.

The first edition of L5R was terrible for this: a ton of example characters had stats and skills higher than the character creation cap of starting+2 or 4, whichever is lower.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As for Street Fighter, having actually played in a pretty fun game for a few months, I'd never call it's mechanics particularly good. But we had fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

L5R 1E has one of the most mini-gamey character creation I've ever seen. With the right combo of skills, advantages, dojo, ancestors and schools, there's a billion ways to make a super-broken character at the start. Like a scorpion with the ancestor to see through illusions and gain 2 free raises on perception rolls and then take the different school advantage as a Kitsuki Investigator to get 4 free raises on all investigation rolls at Rank 2 and blackmail everyone everywhere. Or the Akodo Bushi with Bishamon's blessing and the appropriate ancestor to gain 3 free raises on any attack roll all the time. I've done both of those builds, although I only got a chance to play the second. Our group was formed of Masters at L5R character creation.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I used to have all the Munchkin d20 books from when SJ Games was fire saleing them, and managed to sell them off last year at a profit, because people are coocoo for that game.

It's reasonably amusing if you like your D&D jokes and puns, but the most remarkable thing is that they made the 3.0 classes and races actually more boring, somehow. It also has the most restricted use of the d20 license I've seen, since they count all proper names as product ID. So all those people who were hoping to use The Wight Brothers in their Pathfinder supplement are out of luck. (There are no such people, however.)

I'd use a Plutonium Dragon as a boss fight. No joke.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As a fan of the other gamelines, the way Beast walks all over them pisses me off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Any Centimanus that meets a Beast would wonder how it could be better than them considering they only have two arms.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My feelings are that the slow return of old White Wolf started somewhere around Geist or Mummy, but that's all just my completely irrational feelings.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There's a group of vampires who worship the God-Machine in one of the Requiem books. They get answers to questions they haven't asked yet. Which is cool and all, but if they don't ask the question in time really bad stuff starts to happen.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The God-Machine first showed up in the original World of Darkness corebook, as part of a big block of weirdness/fiction. It was pretty popular at the time, but didn't get much more than a nod here and there until Demon/GMC.

That book also had Mothman, but I don't think that myth got a full write up in nWoD. Or am I wrong?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I used to love those old "Rumors in the style of Unknown Armies" threads on rpg.net from years ago. This feels similar.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

The release of the GMC book sparked a pretty good thread in exactly that vein, too.

On that thread is a pretty cool World of Darkness: Rumors fan supplement. I didn't know it existed, so I downloaded and was happily surpised to see it had rumors I submitted back in the day! Hopefully they're not the bad ones.

If any of you guys want to check it out:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2ls4xd2jn5bf5pj/World+of+Darkness+Rumors.pdf

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

To accompany the update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5BL4RNFr58

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The nWoD's toolkit approach means you only need to add whatever's needed for your game. Also, it's been described as full of unknown weirdness, with questions only leading to more questions, from day one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

First four seasons on Netflix. It takes until episode 7 to really hit its stride, and then it been gathering speed ever since.

Probably not on Netflix Canada. :sigh:

Another funny thing about the God-Machine is that it's basically the Gangster Computer God.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Crasical posted:

There's something kind of....? I can't put my finger on it, but it sure is something putting down The Bill of Rights, constitution, and Declaration of Independence as 'inspirational/recommended reading' for your game.

Well, this is the same company that had heroic Confederates in Deadlands...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Would BOB from Twin Peaks work as a Beast?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Simian_Prime posted:

He works better as one of the Strix from Requiem.

:aaaaa: That's perfect!

Actually, Beasts are closer to lovely Cenobites than BOB. :cenobite:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

My favorite Forsaken Lodge is The Lodge of the Crossroads, from Blasphemies. They specialize in american folklore and legends, and were supposedly founded by a wolf who saw a bluesman sell his soul at the crossroads.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

In the one game of Brave New World I played in, my character was a Bomber named Ferdinand Molotov. I mostly used the exploding powers as intimidation bonuses.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I gave up on my Ravenloft reviews because I thought I wasn't good enough to do it justice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

I find it vaguely amusing that you call me out for being a biased STEMlady with anti-queer sentiments by pointing out the characters I like are ugly. :nallears:

And yeah, I like sciency nerd types. It comes with being a sciency nerd. I don't seem particularly drawn to the Traditions or Crafts, despite being a lesbian transwoman feminist.

To be fair, the M20 version of the Tradition and Crafts are really bad. Sorcerer's Crusade/Revised give a much better version of them, so that the Traditions are flawed protagonists and the Technocracy are sympathetic villains.

I used to love oMage to death, and even if my love has cooled down a lot, I still have "opinions" on it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Does this make me Frodo or Gandalf?

As long as you don't go full Turin.

Never go full Turin.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

Instead, just go full Huan and beat up Sauron and an army of werewolves while being a dog

Agreed: Forsaken is a better game. :smug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

I already started thinking about a Beast that feeds on other Beasts. A teratophage, if you will. My end goal is to transcend the mortal world and become Gamera, friend to all children.

I neat you to it with my Godzilla, King of Monsters, character pitch a few pages back.

That would be the entire team, actually. Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra, the whole gang. Fighting other Beasts.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

It's been years since I saw Victory but if I recall correctly its endgame revolves around the Monopoly Man trying to manipulate Lady Space Jesus into powering some kind of giant psychic space laser, so it's not entirely without its newtype nonsense, though none of the main characters are that.

Oh also suicide bikini rocket launcher squads and battleships built as giant motorcycles.

Actually, the giant psychic space laser powered by thousands of psychics just renders everyone on earth braindead so that when everyone's dead the bad guy can quietly take over.

The main characters and his friends are also Newtypes, though the show doesn't really focus on that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

A Vince Gilligan/Darin Morgan Unknown Armies...anything would be so perfect.

Isn't that basically Millenium?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As my Mother's moving out of her house and I need to take back all those big carboard boxes full of books I didn't use I'd stashed there, I find myself surprised at all the stuff I bought and never played. Ah, the halcyon days when I had a job and could spend money so freely.

One of them is a western RPG called Aces and Eights. A quick scan shows it to be a weird mess with lots of random parts in characters creation and advancement (something I've come to strongly hate) and an alternate history where the South won (although unlike Deadlands they're still slavers and their economy is poo poo). I'm curious if anyone ever ran the drat thing or if there ever was a deeper look at it. Seems like something that would fit in a System Mastery episode.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

As I keep opening more of these boxes full of books, I can't help but wonder at how much money I could waste on books I never played and, in some case,s never even read while I'm now down to counting individual dollars. Why the gently caress would I want a copy of the Star Trek rpg? Why do I have semi-complete collections of Tribe 8 and Jovian Chronicles when the only times we played no one liked the system? What the gently caress is Dawning Star: Operation Quick Launch!?

At least I'll always have these abused copies of Continuum and Ghost Dog I got for less than five bucks each.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

If you ever decide you want to sell some of this stuff let me know. I've got a bizare unplayable soft spot for Continuum

Sorry, but I'm keeping those two. They're also in pretty bad shape anyway.

But there's a ton of crap I,d be happy to get rid of! Like the first and second edition corebooks of Changeling the Dreaming! (Dear god why) Or the Conan D20 rpg!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kellsterik posted:

Dune is an incredibly bleak setting to me. The idea that it's thousands of years in the future and so closely resembles feudal societies from a certain point in history is bumming me out. Like I was reading the description of the Bene Gesserit, and thinking how depressing it is that this organization of deceitful spermjacking ice queens exists in the setting in the first place, and that it would be necessary for the Great Houses to "send their girls somewhere" to be educated.

I don't know what exactly was on Herbert and Stackpole's minds, but the idea of this society somehow being static for thousands of years combined with the stock scifi ideas like eugenics and "unifying the ethical principles of all religions", to me it has this just-so quality of "well of course things would turn out this way in the future" that makes me look askance at it. I would feel differently if there was some outside voice or sense of absurdity that human civilization happened to develop along this specific path. I'm not well versed in Dune but I gather the Fremen and Arrakis had that quality originally by being total outsiders to the Imperial system, but they were made more central in future books to tie things back to the more popular source.

Like from earlier in this thread, I really appreciated that Werewolf the Forsaken 2E has the Ghost Wolves as an in-character voice saying "hold on, do you guys seriously believe all this Father Wolf poo poo the Tribes are feeding you?" Big sweeping cosmic principles and settings go down a lot easier for me when they're historicized and depicted as specific and peculiar rather than universal.

Dune, at least the early books, are pretty much a deconstruction of sci-fi tropes, but also of modern-day politics and religion. The worst thing to happen to the Empire s that it gets the Messiah it had been wishing for.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I remember White Wolf's book on Muslim vampires, Veil of Night, being pretty good, although it wouldn't be the first time a white wolf book I used to love years ago turns out to be bad upon a new reading (Second Sight is an easy example). It portrays Mohamed as a man with a giant blank space instead of a face IIRC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

I think what Monsierchic means that WhiteWolf's description of him is "no, Muhammad literally had no face"

Hahaha, no, it's definetely going for Islamic art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Shoah's the only F&F I managed to finish. :shrug: