Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
GURPS: Reign of Steel...hot diggity.

I look forward to the review. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

mcclay posted:

gently caress all this Angel or Demon nonsense. I wanna play a Pagan character and kick rear end in the name of the Old Gods. Are there rules for that?

ha,

a buddy of mine wrote a side project in inomine where he made dawrin, dawkins, hitchens, etc the equivelent of athiest saints whom empowered people to kick both heaven and hell out of normal people's lives.

that game was a blast. :D

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

question before I cross the line.

I wrote a game a while back and would love to see it done here, both for my own amusement and to learn what to do better next time.

Is it okay to ask for somebody to do it and if so, what is the official procedure to do so?

(it's free btw).

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

Traditionally you just ask someone. Then later you threaten to sue them. :v:

PurpleXVI posted:

Depends on your motives for getting it reviewed, really.

If you want to show it off, maybe get some attention, and don't mind getting ribbed over any goofy bits. If you consider it more or less a finished game, go ahead and PM someone, if you have someone specific in mind, and ask them to review it.

On the other hand, if it's in the works, and you want constructive critique, there are probably better threads for it.

Okay then

I'm officially requesting a review and a rib of the following product

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/C_N_Constantin_Dark_Revelation_The_Role_Playing_Ga?id=gX-7BQAAQBAJ

This is our original bargin basement/bootleg edition of our original product from a "few" years ago.

Our last major review of our books that urked us the most and inspired us to continue writing was that it was "too long."

We hope to get a more enjoy able response from you fine folk here.

Happy heckling. :)

P.S. there's a lot of it. :p

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Barudak posted:

If nobody else does it before I wrap up obsidian, I'm happy to do it if you're ok with that.

Thank you kindly. :)

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Replace the spelljammer helm with a magical guitar, have the bard literally spelljam through the aether.

Mate the guitar with a. Golem and I think you just recreated Macross 7. 😛

As for Warlords of Russia, it's kinda amazing how flat they made communism, especially after seeing the death of Stalin.

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 20, 2018

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

man so glad you mentioned Mystic Russia.

I'm looking forward to when you get to the line that effectively broke palladium books and hearing your thoughts.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

k first some appropriate music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg

Because you aren't going to convince me that KS wasn't listening to this when he was rewriting it at 3:00 am one night when he revised it. :p

and a lovely old gal.

(because Ukranian babas are inherently awesome) :D

edit: cripse, now I got the term Mega-baba stuck in my head and now it's stuck in yours as well. :p

The monsters feel like they define the splitting nature of palladium books (splitting vs lumping).

They must have had a blast coming up with monsters, but most of them probably just needed a reskin.

the unclean are just evil satyrs.

the demon claw is a doodle brought to life. I have found nothing in myth so kinda hoping to be proven wrong.

"Chertu Baran" have an awesome pic, but it feels like this is there a version of the dnd nightmare.

Il'ya Demons are basically "Russian fey" but actually evil.

I'm agreeing with The Kaluga Hag being basically gross-out humor with mega damage.

The Kladovik Guardian I like in design. Give the poster 10 points for the term "combat wombat" :D

The Midnight Demon us essentially palladiums version of Feyrs.

The Nalet is essentially a generic devil. great pic though.

and then we get into the section where KS had an Evil Dead marathon. Evil rock, evil water lady, and an evil tree.

The Serpent hound would make a great pet, but you get the vibe you get a "noope!" if you asked your GM.

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 23, 2018

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

quote:

However, they're weak to fire and "rainwater collected during the first thunderclap of a storm" can damage them,

One of the weird quirks of rifts is not only do you want the biggest baddest M.D.C. cannon/rockets/bfg, you also want the biggest baddest super soaker as well. Normally it's for vampires, but this applies as well.

quote:

Rules clarifications on dodging energy blasts

I've been waiting for this.

The So-Called rules clarification regarding energy blasts is the rule that killed Rifts

Before this, it was assumed if you were cool enough and can justify it, you had a penalty and looked cool while doing so.

But when they added the "without bonuses" it basically broke most rifts fans I know.

The only other rule that did as much damage is the "must hold a spell for both actions while being shot at instead of treating it like a power punch."

This is as opposed to a siege on Tolkeen, which is the sourcebooks that killed rifts (including link because I've already done the rant a while back on the later.)

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2015/08/rifts-siege-on-tolkeen-analysis.html

But yeah

Mystic Russia was the beginning of the end.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

If there was ever a game designer that really needed to here the words...

(revised for obvious reasons)

If you're wondering how [the cs has an infastructure /energy weapons are parried / how magic works]
And other science facts (la-la-la),
Just repeat to yourself 'It's just a [game],
I should really just relax.'"

It's KS.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Kinda more in the land of the blind, the one eye man is king.

Archie is one of the few that has half baked ideas (such as the wizard of oz fake brain) that sorta work, he shows how much lack of thought is in everything else.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

You know, I'm starting to think you can't actually build a coherent system, that encompasses everything from foot soldiers to mecha to wizards to dragons, out of a ripoff of AD&D.

I'm certainly willing to give it a college try in about a month. :p

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Skellybones posted:

Wrong, every female lich has huge titties

Here's the Proof :p

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

JcDent posted:

I just wish I could make something like making a Rifts a lifelong business.

Just a massive kitchensink RPG detailing the Earth and maybe the solar system

but with good rules that someone who can into math wrote.

It's been one of my white whales for some time. :)

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Next thing you are going to say is they kidnap people to show them cheezy movies so they can monitor their minds. :p

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Speaking of Broncosaurus Rex, Goodman Games back in 2017 announced that they planned on updating the setting for their flagship rules system Dungeon Crawl Classics. They'd call it...Dinosaur Crawl Classics.

This is entirely headcanon, but something tells me that said rally's violent consequences had an effect on the saleability of such a product as well as just plain not being in good taste.

Broncosaurus Rex absolutely cheezes me off.

I absolutely love their dinosaur work, but the premise just makes my skin crawl.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

If we compared game designers to bands, Erik Wujcik is the Buddy Holly of game design.

What he produced was original, innovative (hell he did indy games decades before they were a thing), and cut down before we were done with him.

The fact he managed to make several palladium supplements that were freaking amazing speaks volumes.

I kinda wish we existed in the alt timeline, where he was hanging out with Kenneth Hite and Robin D. Laws instead of KS, because I imagine what he would have created with them would have been amazing.

As for xiticix world book, never has a book bored me terribly.

Worse, this was the expansion of a rifter article that had already done the interesting parts.

I think I've gotten more use out of the cs forts then anything else in the book (mainly because it's fun when using it to say for your military organization "it's not in the budget.)" :p

but yeah, this should have been Lazlo's book. add a kingsdale like map, list out a paragraph or two of key movers and shakers with a plot hook, and bammo, you now have something to work with.

If you want to go for bonus points, go for New Lazlo as well.

Man, all this deadlands talk has made me curious.

I think I want to do the black sheep amongst black sheep: Deadlands d20. :D

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 8, 2019

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

For starters, I want to ty kindly for these. :)

I think I know why the tone went all over the place. As we kept writing the game, it kinda got more light-hearted and just plain weirder.

It is supposed to be post-post-apocalypse. aka the apocalypse happened and things got better.

The current era is supposed to be pulpy (which is why your adventuring party jumps in the van with their automatic weapons and spells and go kill that bizarre monster and take its stuff),
but a smattering of strange locations has appeared, hence the hodgepocalypse.

The biggest inspirations are a certain other game that keeps getting reviewed with significantly less fascism, thundar the barbarian and half life 2.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

And obviously the Tracker-Woodsman fits into the Game-Buster category.

Especially with his party that consists of a cactus person and a vagabond ladened with soap. :p

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Exactly. Felt like mention of random thunderclaps might've been too on the nose.

Yes you do.

If it ever happens in your area, you need to see young frankenstein the musical.

It is better then the original movie and that's no small feat.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Libertad! posted:

Serious question: these RIFTS books have been written a while ago, but given the odd trend of downplaying the Coalition's "not as bad as you think" text that reoccurs, is one or more of the RPG's writers a crypto-fascist or something? Say what you will about 40k, it didn't pretend that the Imperium wasn't rotten to the core.

We're about to find out that the first book was the best of the 6 (the sixth book absolutely made me nerd rage back in the day).

It's also why when I did Dark Revelations you'll notice that the Fallen Lords (legions of industrialized Undead) more or less line up with Coalition territory, It's my own personal message on this situation that doesn't break ip.

The CS are the bad guys, end of story.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

It really pushes it in prespective when you relook over vampire kingdoms reid rangers and the "good members" of the team are really struggling to break unprincipled and are seriously flawed, but also way better people in comparison to so called principled and scrupulous in the cs army.

I think kev seriously started drinking the cool aid over time.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

and the dumbest asspull in metaplot in the period folks.

and wait till part 2 of this.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Barudak posted:

I really hate to say this but I used to read all these updates to RIFTS and enjoy them and now I just skip them because they feel too dirty.

Now imagine buying them back in the day, not knowing the ending to open this book with a really cool picture that with a single book invalidates your entire game and gives you crucial details you wish you would have had before it started, but now useless.

and all that horrible writing was all for not.

Book 2 is more horrible in concepts, but Book 6 broke me as a rifts fan.

I still managed to get a few books for free (I was a moderator at the time), but I was done.

Dawgstar posted:

Tangentially, I wonder what happened to Braddock(?)'s Brigade, the biggest merc company in CJ Carella's Rifts Mercenaries book. They were all stoked to fight for Tolkeen during the invasion and CJ overwrote Braddock to the extent Kevin overwrites Holmes (although Braddock is at least not a genocidal Nazi even if "Honorable" and "Clever" and "Daring" and whatever) but of course CJ betrayed Kevin as Coffin has by this point I believe so they won't be mentioned.

Rifts mercenaries filled me with a false sense of hope because cj carella gave a well reasoned explanation on how tolkeen had a chance and gave a few minor ideas as well as how mercs were lining up on both sides..

I think I'd really have liked to have seen his version of the conflict.

shades of eternity fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 12, 2019

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

I honestly think KS just fell in love with his darlings in the 90's and didn't realize how loathsome his writing got until after the fact.

It even looks worse nowadays, but i think he's trying to be edgy (aka judge dredd as an army) but if I'm going to associate with a plot shielded antagonist, still going with A.R.C.H.I.E.-3 thank you very much.

When he accidentally unleashes a genocidal monster, he does something about it.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

The Coalition States: Heroes of Humanity came out in 2016.

He's still wanking off his Nazi expys. Whether it's intentional or just stupidity is, as others have said, immaterial.

I am very glad I didn't know about this until now.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If only the player characters could have changed things! But that was clearly impossible. :ssh:

Next: Tolkeen by the numbers.

I played an ultucan hatchling dragon in the original siege of tolkeen campaign.

I can only imagine how much it would have pissed the CS and the bizarre reports with me spamming the song of love. :p

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Night10194 posted:

For the actual Rifts fans, was it actually a thing that people were playing along with these books as they were released only to have the last books go 'btw, Tolkeen loses no matter what lol'?

yup I'm afraid.

and the part that is really annoying is tolkeen seems like a really cool place to have an adventure, but we find out about it as it burns.

that and distinct lack of a deep 13 where doctor foresters and tvs frank are launching an evil scheme. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Ty Alien Rope Burn, your writings over the last 7 years have provided an ample amount of closure. :)

Warning rant ahead as well as a meandering personal reflection.

At the time, I was a wet behind the ears kid just on the edge of high school.

I picked up Rifts Africa because the gm was running the four horseman campaign and was immediately disappointed.

(see my Rifts Africa rant below for details)
http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2015/07/rifts-rpg-africa-rant.html

I was so disappointed in it that I ended up wondering if I could do a better job.

So to the library I went with the foolish notion I could write my way through college.

I sent a request to Kevin Siembieda, which he was receptive to the idea.

So about a year later I had managed to use a ton of African myths, bizarre cultures, and the precedent left from the previous book to write Africa 2.

It was accepted, and then a year later rejected, hense the re-release of rifts Africa with the new cover.

In effect, it metaphorically sank into the swamp.

So I rewrote it for d20, before realizing I needed to do North America first, so it got shelved.

After many "burned down, fell over then sank into the swamp" experiences including one hell of a botched experience running my own company,
Dark Revelations - the Role Playing Game rose from it's ashes in a usable form.

I'd like to thank Barudak for his posts on reviewing the d20 version. It has been absolutely invaluable for prepping the 5e version and fixing all the mistakes made along the way.

Here's a link below to the first game of it, that started yesterday

http://www.drevrpg.com/2019/06/the-great-mall-at-edge-of-universe-part.html

but the main reason I'm posting this is because of Rifts Aftermath.

Specifically the following line:

"There is a Gorilla God and perhaps other ancient whom claimed all of Zaire for themselves and smite all those who offend them."

I'd like to state that no matter how bad the original manuscript was, I have never written a Gorilla God at any time of it's creation and am more then happy to show anybody the proof. :p

Thank you all. :)