Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

theironjef posted:

This week System Mastery is covering Dinosaur Planet, a book that took us by surprise. With a name that cool, we figured we'd just be generally researching how yet another small print house mucked up the OGL, but what we got instead was some good old down-home whitewashing of the big fence of the Confederate States of America. If you ever wanted to read a book where the Union are rapacious space-conquerors and President Robert E. Lee magnanimously freed the slaves in 1881 because it was the right thing to do, here it is.

Man, I was already coming up with stuff for the Godwin version of this strange setting (which will be about Mammoths instead of dinosaurs):

"And then in 1948, Chancellor Rommel ended the Holocaust."

Though i think a more historically accurate version of this alternate history (if that even makes sense) would pit East and West Germany against each other on a faraway planet, with the book lavishly fellating East Germany's joke of a planned economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

So, quick question, you do know there's an actual sci fi series out there that stars a band of Nazis as the heroes, who remain Nazis but at one point end up taking in some Jewish members to help fight aliens?

Now I do o_O

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LatwPIAT posted:

Watch on the Rhine by Tom Kratman, writing for John Ringo's Porsleen series. It's about Germany resurrecting the Waffen-SS to fight against invading aliens because the Waffen-SS are the only ones tough enough to fight the aliens. Modern Germany's military is weak because of liberals. And the liberals are the true antagonist, not the aliens. In other words, a bog-standard Kratman novel. You can put it on the shelf next to the one where Hillary Clinton's election to POTUS leads to civil war with Texas, and the one where KratmanKratman's author avatar kills his gay cousin so he can use the inheritance to personally hunt down Osama Bin Laden and sell all the children of Osama's village into child sex slavery.

And here I though Dinosaur Planet was crazy.

quote:

(Also, yes, at one point the Waffen-SS recruit some Jews into their unit to fight the aliens.)

"Let's not have any arguments about who tried to genocide who. We have a planet to save!"

(That is assuming they aren't recruited to be part of Operation Human Shield)

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Nessus posted:

Speaking of ol' :hitler:, didn't the In Nomine commentary on him say that his Destiny was to become a great artist and his Fate was... well...

e: FATAL and Friends 2016: It Always Comes Back To Hitler

That title reminds me that D20 Modern would've worked much better if they'd replace the Good/Neutral/Evil axis with Mother Theresa, Swiss, and Hitler. That aught to keep dickish players from taking an evil alignment. I mean, who wants to be Hitler?

Nessus posted:

I want to see one of these settings that has the cojones to make the Commies the good guys. With heavy veiling if necessary, of course.

Dunno if it counts, but BattleTech has the Capellan Confederation (aka oldschool Commie China with the intelligence agency of oldschool Commie Russia), and to a lesser extent the Clans (who have planned economy, and for the most part don't give a drat about the worker class, just like communism in practise; though they are also pretty keen on making Ubermenschen...). Then again BattleTech doesn't really have definite good guys. Everyone's more or less dickish and ruled by elitists.

Young Freud posted:

That reminds me of one of those game setting ideas I've had was an '80s retrofuture alternate history where space exploration in the '60s and '70s didn't get curtailed and, with a little help from extraterrestrial MacGuffins, the 1980s and 1990s has the U.S./NATO fighting Russians in an interstellar Cold War, with both sides banning WMDs from being employed on Earth, but going hog wild in the Off-World Colonies.

Of course, that's also pretty much the premise of William Gibson's script for Alien 3.

This would work swell with the aesthetics of Space Patrol Orion.

LuiCypher posted:

I am seriously going to regret doing this, but since it's been abandoned previously and a fellow goon is doing a write-up on Black Crusade, I feel obliged to revive...

DEATHWATCH

Funny, I just got that recently to complement Only War. I even have Rites of Battle, which lets you roll up custom chapter names like "Steel Blood".

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LuiCypher posted:

Consider me jealous. Rites of Battle is easily the best splatbook for Deathwatch because it has the best character and gear options of any of the books. You can even roll as a freaking Dreadnought Librarian at some point, which is all sorts of awesome. Predictably, it is very out-of-print and hard to find in physical form. It's been awaiting reprint for over a year at Fantasy Flight and I suspect that it will never actually get reprinted, meaning that it will be a while before I get my copy.

I'll probably write up a recommended list of splatbooks towards the end of the review, but for now I'd say that the top three go like this:
1. Rites of Battle
2. Honour the Chapter or First Founding
3. Mark of the Xenos

I throw Mark in there mainly because the core rulebook could probably suffer to have a more diverse range of enemies for the Kill-team to encounter and Mark fixes that nicely. Honour the Chapter/First Founding mainly depends on which fluff you like better - do you like the fluff for the remaining founding chapters (Iron Hands, Salamanders, White Scars, Raven Guard) or do you want more on the successor chapters?

If it doesn't have to be a physical copy, the entire range can be bought as PDF on DriveThruRPG and possible other shops.

Who doesn't want to play as a Dreadnought? You might even talk the GM into giving you easier diplomacy checks because of your poker face. Or rather lack of face.

The Outer Reach might also be interesting for essentialy being the Necron Bestiary, and I love my Terminators on steroids almost as much as my brainwashing space commies.

And I'm leaning towards First Founding. How can you go wrong with black pyromaniacs and space huns/mongols?

Robindaybird posted:

This is why when I did my own weird west take that while the Confederates are responsible for elemental-infused bullets (a more accidental discovery due to desperation in scrounging up raw materials for ammo), it came far too little, too late to save them. Speaking as someone that grew up in Mississippi, anyone that romanticizes the "Rebels of the south" is a loving idiot.

It seems people interesting in Alternate Western History stuff rarely go beyond "The South lost the war, so what if they didn't?!". They don't seem to grasp the nuances of what can happen after a war.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Double Cross - Infinity Code

Game Master Section

Progressive Checks

Progressive Checks are the DX version of Skill Challenges, allowing the GM to break down long and complex situations like infilatration or chase scenes in an abstract manner. It's a bit fancier and involved than the D&D 4e Skill Challenges, and do in fact kinda look like a draft for a Eurogame:

I imagine an actual boardgame for this not looking much different.

The general idea is to take the initiative and action economy of the combat rules (which has the side effect of allowing the GM to have both going on at the same time) and the Investigation mechanics from the Random Scenarios, aka having the PCs perform Checks whose scores are then translated into points (up to a certain maximum to enforce a minimum number of checks to be made). The Progressive Checks ends either when enough points are amassed, or if the End Condition is triggered. The latter is usually not recommended as that's pretty much the loss condition.

If a PC is particularly bad at the required Check (or just wants to help a fellow teammate to beat a particularly nasty Difficulty), he can opt for a Support Roll, which doesn't generate any points, but grants a target a bonus to his roll.

The really fancy part are the Progression Events: Once the point total reaches certain milestones, the conditions of the Progressive Check chance for better or worse: The Difficulty can go up or down, or an entirely new Check might suddenly be required.
In addition to that, the GM rolls a random even on the Situation Chart each round that will further makes things easier or harder for the players.

Overall, the system is quite nifty. It has some meat to it, and even recommends you to reward players for using their Simple Powers for once.

Aside from the bomb diffusal above, other example Progressive Chceks include stuff like "Close the Deal", "Sneak into the FH Base" and "Follow the Target", all for the GM to tweak or use as inspiration for his own Progressive Checks. Some of these examples also come with their own Situation Charts for better flavoring.

Enemy Powers

Man, the stuff here is fun: Angel Halo NPCs can snipe at you from a different Scene. Balor NPCs can mess up your gravity pull so you can't slow down and will crash into stuff whenever you try to move. Black Dogs can make program a Firewall or other security program that physically hurts the hacker. Bram Stoker NPCs can now spam their Powers without having to worry about paying HP. Chimaera NPCs get absurd [Armor] for as long as the PCs don't hit their weak spot. Exile NPCs can no play as Mystique from the X-Men. Hanuman NPCs move so fast they're treated as multiple characters. Morpheus NPCs boost the crap out of weapons and create fake money out of nothing. Neumann NPCs are so good at multi-tasking that they gain an extra turn. Orcus NPCs turn the entire area into a labyrinth, allowing only those characters to enter the Scene he wants to be there. Slamandra NPCs can cover entire citie sin a blizzard or tropical heat. Solaris NPCs can release an Anti-Renegade poison that hurts anyone who wants to use Powers.

The Ouroboros Syndrome naturally gets the most stuff, as its new and all. And what stuff there is: Ouroboros NPCs can get the mother of all Renegade Killer Powers that makes all of their Ouroboros Powers AoE. They can also yank people around by controlling their shadows like Gekko Moria. They can also prevent the use of Warding Fields, which is especially handy if they have a gang of non-Overed thugs around.
The really big guns hower are <<Steal Ability>> and <<Banish Power>>. The former steals an Power from the target, while the latter drains so much Renegade viruses out of the target that he can no longer use any Powers. Both last for the entire Scenario, or either until the NPC dies or the target fulfills some condition decided by the GM.
Suffice to say, both are very dickish Powers that can make for some really scary situations. Suddenly, that group of Yakuza looks a lot more dangerous without access to claws, laser beams or Warding Fields.

Common Enemy Powers include buff for Troopers an nother dickish Powers. Remenmber <<Instant Retreat>>, the "Get out of Scene for Free" card that NPCs love to use? Well, now they can kick you out of a Scene instead. Luckily for the players, this only works on targets who agree or are unconscious (good job avoiding the "unconscious targets are always willing" formulation).

But not all Powers are actually beneficaly. There's in fact <<Superhuman Weakness I>>, which gives you a weakness against some source from which you will take additional damage. Why would you give that to an NPC? Well, there's the complementary Power <<Superhuman Weakness II>>, which makes you suffer less damage from anything until your weakness is hit. It more or less allows you to build a D&D troll in DX.

Exhausted Loises

The general E-Loises start right up with what is essentially the Anime Regium's major shtick: You die, you get to transfer your mind into another body. Gjaums can no also inflict targets with a death clock that counts down the number of Rounds until their HP drops to 0.

Gjaums with the Release Impulse can make a sort of thrall, giving him an E-Lois of his own. Bloodsucking Gjaums get similar team options by pumping an ally full of their own blood. Hunger Gjaums can swallow the entire Scene, moving everyone and everything into their belly for some sweet ongoing digestion damage. Slaughter Gjaums get a doomsday E-Lois that targets organizations instead of places. Destruction Gjaums can now blow upon death. Torture Gjaums regain health when they deal enough damage. Distaste Gjaums have access to what is essentially a mental force field that makes them completely immune from harm as long as the shield isn't broken. Battle Lust Gjaums can make themselves immune against specific damage sources. Delusion Gjaums gain mind control. Self-Mutilation Gjaums get to make people crazier with each hit against them because they enjoy it so much. Fear Gjaums can freeze people in place through fear. And Hatred Gjaum can now cause pedestrian riots for an easier escape.

Enemy Characters

A couple new enemy writeups, some of which - like the Apostle Agent - making use of the Ouroboros Syndrome. Highlgihts include EX Gjaums that are soldier ants or landmines. Boss-type characters include Jörmugandr (Ouroboros), Nue (Ouroboros/Chimaera/Solaris) and the Queen Ant (Morpheus/Ouroboros).

Next Time: Scenarios - meet Gjaumzilla.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Count Chocula posted:

So which writer's fantasy girlfriend is she? She does kinda pull off being a likeable Ayn Rand character.

Just add a note on how she's really into video games, anime and cosplaying, and you have Next Edtiion Lilith.

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Raw Head and Bloody Bones: Also known as Bloody Bones or Tommy Rawhead, this monster was once a large pig named Raw Head. Raw Head was owned by an elderly Conjure woman living out in the Ozarks, who treated the big boar as her only friend. While everyone in that wooded valley knew Raw Head belonged to the Conjure woman, a poacher from out of town came and slew the pig one day. The furious Conjure woman used necromantic power to resurrect Raw Head's blood-soaked bones into a horrific monster. The skeletal boar walked on his hind legs and gathered parts from other slain animals, taking the teeth of a panther, claws of a bear, and tail of a beaver, then took his time stalking and taunting the poacher with a raspy human voice in the dead of night. Eventually, after he was finally tired of playing with his prey, Raw Head and Bloody Bones killed and ate the poacher. If you're brave enough, you can summon him for yourself, presumably to utilize his 30 Endurance and Strength to rend your foes asunder.

Okwa Naholo ("White People of the Water"): Slender people with all black eyes and skin colored "the white of a trout's belly". No one's quite sure what these guys' deal is, as they typically hide by burrowing in mud or crawling into reeds whenever people are around, only coming out and doing whatever it is they do when they are alone. Okwa naholo have an extreme amount of hatred for fishermen, who they will attempt to drag under the water and drown. Being drowned by an okwa naholo causes you to become an okwa naholo yourself rather than die.

Man, Southern zombies and (kinda sorta) ghouls own. Raw Head really needs a mini or something.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bieeardo posted:

Rawhead goes all the way back to Ireland. Clive Barker made a movie about one variation of him, way back in the day.

Mors Rattus posted:

There's already a note that Lilith has taken on catgirl form and likes sci fi conventions, so...

Two quotes, one reply: Excellent.

(Though I personally associate evil catgirls with Nyarlathotep, for obvious reasons)

kaynorr posted:

IIRC, she was widely believed to be the self-insert/Mary Sue of Beth McCoy, who was the In Nomine line developer for a while. Read GURPS IOU and compare/constrast with the ArchDean for much the same MO.

Well, at least she didn't start naming herself Lilith...

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Fossilized Rappy posted:

The Last Hundred Years
The passing of the 20th Century has only created more strife in the nations of Ytarria. There's been another war between al-Wazif and Megalos from 1924 to 1928, orcs have attempted to take back Caithness and conquer Zarak in more and more frequent raids, the Dark Elves have reappeared and begun to weave sinister and mysterious magics right under the nose of the Megalan Empire, al-Wazis and Megalos went to war again from 1991 to 1995, and Caithness has been locked in a civil war since 1999. It's now 2005 AD, and things aren't much better for nations other than Caithness. Piracy has risen in the south, the Northmen seem prepared to once again strike at northern Megalos, al-Wazif is thinking about having yet another Wazifi-Megalan war, and al-Haz is suffering from loads of internal strife.

So humans habe been around for almost a millenium, but gunpowder and probably other sorts of advanced chemicals are tools of the devil? This is yet another medieval fantasy setting eternally stuck in the same vague medieval period, isn't it?

I think it might've been more interesting for the Protestants to meet the brainwashing wizard fleets with cannonballs and Greek fire.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bieeardo posted:

I've always found it to be one of the funniest and creepiest aspects of the setting, in its earlier incarnations at least. It's a more amusing answer to 'can we invent gunpowder?' than a flat 'no'.

You'd think having guns would give them a definite edge and defining feature over the other standard medieval fantasy races. Aside from being crazy fundies. Which come to think about... does this setting have clerics? Do the guys that are the most obsessed about killing dudes with a different belief gain power out of it? Or do they just delude themselves into thinking their wizards are totally clerics, paragons of their god who most likely isn't really around in this alien world?

Oh well, these Banestorm could potentially barf out the Soviet invasion force I was fantasizing about a couple pages ago...

Doresh fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 7, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Bloody hell, Forgotten Realms is a lot more messed up than I imagined o_O

"How dare the IP owners change the setting without my consent! Now I will undo everything. Elminster and Drizzt will never change!"

Kavak posted:

Also the Mystara games are on sale on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/229480/

Money well spend. Just make sure to deactivate the filter that's on by default. Makes everything look like it's covered in vaseline.

Also all the unlockable artwork is art from the 3.X books instead of concept art. That's... odd?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kavak posted:

I doubt there's much in the way of concept art for a side-scrolling arcade game, though I wish they'd picked art from 2nd Edition when the games came out.

These games are actually based on either Basic D&D or the Rules Cyclopedia AFAIK. Still, more "peroid appropriate" art would've been nicer.

And there probably is concept art around. You can't just make a pixel spritesheet without having a more or less clear idea of what the character's supposed to look. All the port offers are some promotional pictures from the US and Japan.

Then again unlocking stuff isn't really what an arcade game is about, is it? It's all about beating stuff up and trying to make sense out of the digitized voices (I swear the Elf shouts "My mother!" or something when she's KOed.)

Oh, and is it normal for old D&D do have so drat durable scorpions? These little buggers take about as many axes to the head as gnolls.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 7, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kavak posted:

Also I just remembered that the Drow, pre-transformation*, were called the "Dark Elves" and had brown skin and dark hair. So...yeah.

*Seriously, what kind of "good" god curses an entire people and all their offspring for their sins? At least when that happened in The Elder Scrolls to the Dunmer the setting doesn't portray Azura as pure good.

Did they use to live underground before this curse? I'm certainly confused how elves could spend their entire lifes without ever seeing the sun without ending up looking like freaky, near-blind albinos. Then again, magic.

Maybe all the good gods used to be "good" in the same way as Old Testament God? Then again, that would actually imply that the setting (or rather the gods) can change.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Night10194 posted:

It's really loving shameful, especially with that Epic Destiny of 'be reborn a good white elf' thing they gave drow later.

Doesn't Pathfinder's Golarion or some other setting feature the possibility of a normal elf becoming a drow? That's right kids, if you're evil, you will turn black!

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Double Cross - Infinity Code

Scenarios

Infinity Code comes with two example Scenarios, only one of which makes use of the new stuff from this book. Also included again are a couple Scenario Starters aka Scenario ideas, but these are a lot more elaborate this time around, with each one including a Progressive Check and enemy writeups.

Venomous Hate

I think my hair is on fire.

The big bad of this FH Agent Iwao "Grim Reaper" Sagae (Balor), a hardcore misanthrope whose ultimate desire in life is to kill everyone after getting hit with a case of the Gjaum. He's currently holed up in an abandoned FH lab to develop his own version of the Infinity Code. This one doesn't actually have anything to do with Renegade evolution, but is just called that way because he's using the Infinity Initiative's Ouroboros know-how to build himself a WMD.

As it's typical for these Scenarios, the PCs enter the scene with all kinds of objectives and motives: Two want to take down Iwao for good (dude ain't called "Grim Reaper" for nothing), one is tasked to find out what happened to UGN Agent Eiji Takasu (Neumann/Morpheus, the messed-up guy on th picture) who went MIA when he investigated the lab, one is a Renegade Being tasked with Xenos to stop Iwao's Ouroboros shenanigans, and PC1 is an Ouroboros Overed himself who got kindapped and is now waking up inside the lab.

Inside the lab, PC1 meets the adorable Renegade Being Infinity Code (*dun dun duuun*), though she calls herself Renee (Ouroboros/Solaris) because that's cuter.

Renee posted:

"Renee's short for Renegade. Because I'm a Renegade Being. Renegade, Renee. Get it?"
My next DX character will be called Ovee.

Unfortunately for everyone, Iwao's not alone in the lab and brought a couple Gjaum friends with them, and they're busy hunting after Renee and PC1.

(Though according to RAW, PC1 could just mob the floor with all of them because they Scenario specifically mentions they're Extras aka a PC can defeat them by saying so. Plot convenience!)

The PCs eventually meet up with Renee and PC1 and gang up on the Gjaums, but not before one of them manages to sneak up on Renee. It doesn't go very far as it suddenly starts screaming and dropping dead on the ground. Renee herself doesn't quite know what's going on as she doesn't actually know how to control her powers (*dun dun DUUUUN*).

When Iwao makes his entrance via a wall monitor, he tells everyone how he needs Renee and PC1 for his human extermination plan, and he uses his hack Enemy Powers to separate the lab from the outside world, trapping them until they give up or die.

After some investigating, they find the half-dead Eiji and can even safe him if they manage to patch him up. In any case, he spouts exposition about how Renee's main Power is some kind of super poison/acid that can kill just about anything. Renee herself however is perfectly harmless and doesn't want to hurt anyone.

For Evil-aligned PCs, the Scenario does mention they can basically kill Renee and skip most of the remaining Scenario. But could you really kill this:

quote:

“PC1, will you be my friend?”

(PC1 says yes) “Yes! Thank you! Wow, I have a friend…”
(Begins to roll around on the floor)

(PC1 says no) “Ah, come on! I’m just going to keep on
asking. Please? Please please? Please please please please
please please?” (Begins climbing onto PC1’s back
Awwwwww :gerty:

Unfortunately for less dickish players, Renee suddenly starts losing control and going all Tetsuo (if you replace "gross biomechanic mess" with "poison everywhere") and gets spirited away by Iwao, who is now planning to reconnect the lab with the world and flood it with the poison.

Further exposition explains that Renee is basically a designer Renegade Being that Iwao fed with just the right Powers and strains for the super poison (which is even a selective poison, which probably means he's not targeted by the poison). Unfortunately for him, Renee's own Ouroboros strain that holds everything together is very weak (not to mention that she dared develop a free will), so he had PC1 kidnapped, hoping that she would absorb enough from his Ouroboros strain for the whole poison production to finally get started.

Before everyone can go beat up Iwao, they have to enter a Progressive Check whose goal is it to get PC1 to the poison-spewing Renee in order to have him destabilize her Ouroboros strain again. Failure to do so will get everyone eaten by super death poison.

If everything ends well, Renee will end up in UGN custody, where visting rights for PC1 probably look a bit grim because getting her too close to another Ouroboros Overed is a very, very bad idea.

Angry Impulses

That's an oddly sinister look.

This is a somewhat odd one. It's about the FH Agent Orie "Reproductor" Higusa (Solaris/Neumann/Morpheus), a Gjaum passing off as a school counselor in order to brainwash students during tutoring class and having them go berserk. She takes a special interest in Shizune Yagusa, a classmate of PC1. Naturally, the goal is to rescue Shizune (and hopefully everyone else). Certainly tamer and less insane than most other Scenarios.

This Scenario also probably has the weakest bad guy so far. She doesn't have any end goal and is just trolling people for the evulz. I guess this makes sense as she's a Gjaum, but other villains before her stole missiles, tried to destroy the world or turned into skeleton pirates.

Though there's one cool bit she does: At one point she uses the Neumann Simple Power that turns you into Sherlock Holmes in order to profile the PCs and record a video that seemingly responds to all of their reactions. A shame none of her other actions scream "mastermind villain".

Scenario Starters

These are lots of fun. So on with it:

• Shadow Island: Rival teams from UGN, FH and False Hearts have to work together when they figure out that the Ouroboros EX Renegade they're fighting over on a remote island is the island itself, and its out to get them. Imagine if The Thing absorbed an entire island.
  • Saying Goodbye: An Ouroboros Renegade Being breaks free from a FH lab and starts roaming City N in the form of dead people because as an immortal being itself, it's a bit obsessed with death.
  • Rodent Pandemic: Turns out the Renegade can infect computer viruses and have them hack people.
  • Jester's Crown: A FH assassin who dresses up as a clown wrecks havoc because he also happens to be able to turn everyone else into killer clowns. Its like having Pennywise everywhere.
  • Man Hunt: The PCs are looking for an Overed whose Powers cause her to subconsciously kill people. Or is it really her killing everyone?
  • Halation Ghost: It's paranormal activity time at school (mainly Poltergeist and haunted mansion type stuff, no creepy ghost kids or body horror). Turns out it's caused by the Gjaum-ified remains of a frail school girl who died during her first day at school after being so happy to finally get out and make friends :smith:.
  • Run Lola Run: The PCs have a race against time with a bike-obsessed FH Agent in order to find the precognitive Lola. Man, reading about refrences to a German movie from the 90s makes me want to turn the Killer Condom into an EX Renegade.
  • Giant Killer: A daikaiju-sized Gjaum starts rampaging the countryside, and its up to the PCs to climb on its back beat up its individual body parts as if they're fighting Sin from FFX. A shame the vehicle section doesn't include flying submarines with drills.

Soo, that's it so far in terms of English DX releases, which are relatively complete as far as the core setting itself goes. The missing stuff (AFAIK) boils down to a UGN-centric supplement, a couple Scenario books (including at least one campaign / Adventure Path) and around a dozen alternative settings, including a .hack clone, a Weird War setting, a tokusatsu/superhero setting and a post-apocalyptic alternate universe in which a tiny population of Overeds have to survive on a whole planet full of Gjaums.
Oh and one set in Akihabara. Just, Akihabara. Maid cafes and model kits galore.

I'll take a short break for now and will return in a week or so to tackle Silent Legions, Keving Crawford's OSR game of Lovecraftian horror where you are encouraged to replace the Lovecraftian stuff for your own mythos. I will of course follow up from my threat a couple pages ago and reflavor Winnie the Pooh as an Eldritch horror.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 7, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Kurieg posted:

Yup, and it's a dark secret that the all powerful shadowy council of elf wizards works hard to hide from the outside world.

Golarion is composed of equal parts "Hey that's kind of neat" and "Oh god why would you do this!?"

And here I thought the elf queen having an implied romantic relationship with her pet falcon was weird.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Glorantha isn't D&D, it's a hell of a lot weirder.

But did D&D ever let you play as Donald Duck?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wasn't intending "weird" as a pejorative.

Then all is well.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

Because that would make all the Drizzt novels for 4e non-canon, is the only reason I've been given.

Not that nerd franchises seem to need a reason for having overcomplicated excuses for their reboots.

Don't tell me Mr. Genderswap Yuri Action can't just write some silly book about how Drizzt and Elminster travel back in time to undo the events that lead into 4e, undoing them for the setting but still having them affect his God NPCs.

wiegieman posted:

The whole point of the Drow is to have an evil player race for your party to fight. Obviously they had to be elves who are cursed with black skin, because who else could be so edgy and special.

Because just having a bunch of normal elves who happen to be dicks is silly. Only humans are allowed to cover all alignments without having to split off into sub-races.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 8, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

theironjef posted:

This isn't really about RPGs but I had to tell someone that we just got a real podcast setup. We are no longer both hunched over the same old Snowball mic, we have a sound board and stabilizers and pop filters and everything! System Mastery is a real boy!

About time that Cheese Dudes sponsoring money be put to good use.

I just noticed something... does the book eventually explain why the humans detest gunpowder as the work of the Devil, but have no issues with sorcery and witchcraft? I think it would be more sensible if they'd use the newfound leap in weapons technology to round up all the heretics from all races.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Chapter 3 is literally titled "Religion", and is all about the subject. So it's not too far off in the future.

Excellent. Let's hope it makes sense.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The German version of the core book is on DriveThru under the German company that licensed most of White Wolf's stuff. They also did Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay so I imagine the horror, characters getting massacred niche was already covered for them. I never read any of the books but they seemed pretty good as far as D20 stuff went.

Feder & Schwert was also the distributor of Dungeons & Dragons, so it makes sense for them to have someting that's from both.

(And then Wizards pulled the plug after the release of the first three 4e books. That's just sad.)

Count Chocula posted:

What's the most Castlevania RPG?

Hey, that's would actually prett darn swe...

LornMarkus posted:

Probably my favorite part is that it's got almost every significant character in the series except for the two N64 Castlevania's. Those they skipped entirely.

Dammit. It's just not enough versimiltude for me if I can't play as a bare-chested werewolf dude. Or as a knight with guns.

Cythereal posted:

Eberron likewise makes it explicit that clerics and paladins and whatnot derive their power from sheer force of belief: the Silver Flame may or may not actually be divine, but people have built a religion around it and there are people who believe in it so completely that they gain divine spells. The Blood of Vol is a non-deistic religion that's not unlike some forms of Buddhism with extra undead, but again some people believe in it to the extent that they can cast divine spells from it.

I think I shall use that as an answer to my pet peeve "Who the hell grants spells to Rangers, and why can't they fall?".

Kavak posted:

Clearly 5th Edition's cosmology needs to be returned to 2nd/3rd Edition's, all published settings must be standardized accordingly, and anything that does not fit must be removed in the name of consistency.
Either that or I need to accept that things have changed and I'm a grognard :negative:

Does it even matter if the cosmology is unified or not? Lower-level adventurers won't care, and ultra-high-epic adventurers can probably have it handwaved by saying "There multiple bubbles of existance, with their own planes and stuff. Now get on your Spelljammer ship and set sail!"

ProfessorProf posted:

DRACULA UNREDACTED

This owns. I can already see this concept apply to other works of classic horror literature (aka "What if Frankenstein's Monster survived and created his own intelligence agency?")

Doresh fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 10, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LornMarkus posted:

Actually, funny story, there was a . . . GBA Castlevania, I believe, called Circle of the Moon that also featured a werewolf protagonist and he was included in their character builds.

Really? I thought that one only had an oldschool Belmont dude.

And of course does he make an appearance. It's from one of the good Castlevania games.

(Does this bias only apply to the N64 games, or 3D ones in general? Because playing as a pumpkin dude or having a yeti combat buddy sounds neat.)

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LornMarkus posted:

Just the N64, it does in fact have Pumpkin and the main from Curse of Darkness as well as the Belmont progenitor from Lament of Innocence.

Excellent. I love LoI Belmont and his "I just woke up and forgot to wash my hair" style. Gotta get this ASAP.

Simian_Prime posted:

Fighting evil by moonlight
Finding love by daylight
Never running from a real fight!
She is the one named Zadkiel.

Are there any magical girl RPGs around that aren't in some way Madoka-ish? Or do I have to make a Pretty: The Curing myself?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Sweet. Glad to see that Cornell is there. He's to unique of a concept to pass on.

And is this adult Symphony of the Night Maria, or underaged Maria? Because the latter attacks with a pair of doves.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LornMarkus posted:

Doves and an upgrade to Owls. :eng101:

Figure in the Tabletop Sim game is the adult version and she's actually pretty badass because her Doves and Owls give her the base ability to reroll all her successful hits for extra damage.

Wonderful. And her being badass is no surprise. Using her in Rondo of Blood is like playing on Easy Mode. She's a smaller target than Richter, more agile than him, and her Doves come out fast.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Ratoslov posted:

I would play a Happy Magical Girl RPG so hard. I like Madoka, but it's too drat gloomy for a RPG.

Which reminds me...

ProfessorProf posted:

I haven't played it myself, but WOD has the fanmade Princess: The Hopeful.

Yeah, that's more on the gloomy side. And strangely gluttered at places (why does a magical girl RPG need dominion rules?). Not to mention that the traditional snarky bullshit quotes are a bit weird coming from Sailor Moon.

Mors Rattus posted:

Princess is awful, and just as obsessed with Madoka (and entirely unrelated non-magical girl stuff) as anything else.

There really is no good place for earnest Magical Girl games except maybe OVA, which is basically Generic Anime Game That Isn't BESM.

If it just has to cover Pretty Cure (and may or may not want some sort of vague compatibility with Princess), White Wolf's Street Fighter RPG could also work. Punch monsters and blow them up with heart-shaped hadokens.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 10, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

Ewen's a good person but their games are pure Madoka and they own that, they don't know a lot about the earnest part of the genre.

The only Ewen game that could work is Tokyo Super Heroes, a Super Sentai RPG that never made it out of beta status. It even has a couple pages about magical girls, which should work for the most part as some magical girl teams since Sailor Moon are so Super Sentai that all that's missing is a giant robot (and even that is a thing thanks to Magic Knight Rayearth).

Mors Rattus posted:

There really is no good place for earnest Magical Girl games except maybe OVA, which is basically Generic Anime Game That Isn't BESM.

That one is a hot candidate, and I like how characters are rated in relative terms (so no worries about lifting capacities). What I don't really like is how combat bonuses are spread all over the place, and some Abilities do sound pretty similar.

Maybe I'll try a homebrew based on Double Cross. Replace the Encroachment Rate with something that can't turn you into a NPC and let Loises provide bonuses without having to make them Tituses, and you're halway there.

ProfessorProf posted:

At that point, just run it in FAE or something.

Man, it's been forever since I looked at FATE. A shame, I quite liked how Spirit of the Century got away from those wound boxes and did something more elegant.

(Is it still a thing for third-party FATE supplements to be big tomes with too much crunch? That might be important in the long run.)

Nessus posted:

In a lot of ways it seems like the best approach to take for an 'earnest non-grimdark magical girls game' is to find something that draws off the Silver Age of comics and just tweak some of the details. You'll get close enough even if people aren't into the cartoons, and if they are, hey, there you go.

Of course, I'm gonna bet that there aren't any superhero RPGs that embrace Silver Age madcap antics, because those have way less room for dexterity-modifying feats.

So probably not Hero System.

Maybe Mutants & Masterminds can do the trick...

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sahud is still... a problem, I take it?

I can't wait to find out more about these guys. Sounds very cringeworthy.

(And what's up with the name? It sounds neither Chinese nor Japanese)

ProfessorProf posted:

They're like the Space Pirates in the Metroid games. Maybe THIS time cloning Metroids won't spiral out of control and get an entire planet destroyed!

Don't forget the Federation. They do this as well. Apparently the Alien franchise doesn't exist in this continuity.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I just love the idea that the Hammer Dracula movies were made to cover up the attempt to re-activate actual Dracula as an asset in the seventies. At least I assume that's what Agent Cushing is a reference to. Which means that Christopher Lee may have been one of Dracula's handlers.

This setup would work well with that Nosferatu "prequel" movie were it turns out that Max Schreck is a vampire. I can totally imagine Dracula starring as himself for shits and giggles.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Nessus posted:

M&M is the game I have most experience with, regarding superheroes. It works, but it's kind of complicated, and that's where my crack about tons of dexterity-modifying feats came in. I also felt it tended to make powers feel very same-y (even if, yes, it did let you model a poo poo ton of them). The latter is to some extent inevitable in any RPG, because there is little to no effective difference between "I shoot a beam of fire/force/purple light/tiny baby frogs" at the target other than ancillary side effects.

That's more than enough detail for this genre, unless you also mix Pokemon into it for some reason.

quote:

Depending on how you wanted to go I'd use either an *World hack (yes, yes, you can do that for everything, but magical girls are often open ended), FATE or a Savage Worlds mod, depending on how crunchy you want it to be. Like Pretty Cures tend to involve a fair amount of karate fighting and tactical conflict so Savage Worlds would work better for that, while something like Utena would suit *World given the weird abstract surrealism that pops up a lot, such as fighting kangaroos and thinking you laid an egg.

Never considered Savage Worlds. Got some readin' to do...

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Necessary Evil is a fun Savage Worlds Campaign book.

That's the setting where the villains have to protect the Earth after all the super heroes are gone? Not exactly magical girl material, but I can see it work with a couple original villains (because no magical girl campaign would be complete without an otakumancer that chibifies everyone and will be really pissed once all the cute girls are gone).

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 12, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bieeardo posted:

Half a dozen subraces of Vistani? This is edging toward WoD: Gypsies territory.

Man, I hope the pure Vistani don't have bs Kender traits when it comes to the property of non-Vistani. It doesn't seem that way, seeing how their half-bloods don't get bonuses to pick-pocketing.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I had forgotten that the Vistani are so special that you can't play one.

:fap:

And this is edging toward Deliria territory.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Count Chocula posted:

Do any of the racist Roma in games get Keri Wuhr's rad wrist-mounted sling-shot from Thinner?

I'd also like to know whether or not they have access to a Bare-Knuckle Fighter prestige class. Gotta earn a new wagon for mother.

Kurieg posted:

*Ravnos Antideluvian caught in a Week Long battle with the most powerful Kuei-Jin in existance followed by having a spiritually awakened nuke dropped on the site and a series of orbital mirrors shining the entire earth's quantity of sunlight down on the battle site. Then without an Antideluvian all the Ravnos fell into a Diablaruic frenzy and there's basically only 3 of them left AND YOU DON'T GET TO PLAY AS ONE SO DON'T EVEN ASK.

You know you're setting is effed up if you have to go through Bleach-style length of bullshit just to off one dude.

Count Chocula posted:

Fun fact: Stephen King originally had a mysterious government agency tracking and using supernaturals in his first few books, but dropped it. Like Night's Black Agents in Carrie.

"I do wonder: How can we use a cosmic horror disguised as a clown in our War on Terror?"

Doresh fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 13, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LornMarkus posted:

Off the top of my head, Tenra Bansho Zero is designed for exactly that but I haven't played it nor tried statting up characters enough to say whether or not it succeeds. I can say from experience that a good combat in Legends of the Wulin can very much give that feeling although the nature of its dice mechanics make it a lot more swingy blow to blow. Just a PvP combat I did with a friend for my other friends G-Gundam style LotW game was pretty intense and interesting the whole way through.

Yeah, Tenra Bansho Zero is one of the few games where getting wounded actually makes you stronger, and you can pool all of your brownie points for one ultimate attack (though you have to be careful with the karmic backlash following afterwards)

And this Legend of Wulin does get mention a lot in these kinds of discussions. Might finally have to look at that one...

Kurieg posted:

The Antedeluvians are basicaly the most powerful individual physical beings on the planet. Because level 10 disciplines are basically plot devices. The Gangrel Ante can shapeshift into the sun for gently caress's sake. You aren't meant to fight them and the whole point of the Masquerade is to not gently caress up the world so terribly that those assholes wake up. It's like how in Werewolf the Eater of Souls tried to physically manifest in the world and it took the sacrifice of an entire tribe to stop it. Not kill him, stop it.

Still, the description makes it sound like it just took the other guys that long because they had a couple million wound boxes to deplete. They really need some kind of NGE-style Lance of Longinus for these situations.

quote:

The Gangrel Ante can shapeshift into the sun for gently caress's sake.

Holy crap I take everything back. I so want to see this adapted by the guys behind Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

Valor was literally designed from the ground up to create fight scenes that hit all those story beats.

Can it handle mecha-themed maids that can punch through tanks and villains who are so emo that they can infect others?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Reading through IC2e carefully in anticipation of reviewing it some time, it strikes me that one of the most consistent errors I keep seeing in RPG organization is that a lot of games put character creation and reams of Gifts and Skills and such before they put an explanation of their basic mechanics.

This is especially odd with Double Cross. The rules themselves can almost be summarized on a business card, but you'll be halfway through the book once you get there because the list of powers is looooong.

occamsnailfile posted:

Most RPGs have you throwing your best resources out first, versus the dramatic trope of 'escalate from jab to strong to fierce to shoryuken'. I mean 13th Age tries with the Escalation Die and people mentioned TBZ and doesn't Double Cross also do something like that with your virus level? But it's hard to do 'nothing is truly effective until NARRATIVE FIAT happens' spontaneously. For one thing, you have to have players who are able to think dramatically beyond "I get even ANGRIER." I suppose when I've had fights that were 'exciting' from a mechanical rather than narrative standpoint, it's usually been because the balance came out juuuuuust right and we were down to fumes/last clips/etc when the enemy finally dropped. That's hard to do.

The strongest powers for each Syndrome only become usable if you Encroachment Rate is high enough, and you also get a general buff at that point. There's also some interesting resource management going on as you have to use enough powers previously to ensure that your Encroachment Rate is high enough at the end, but you don't have to go too crazy or else your character might not be able to snap out of it.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

One of the issues with "escalating combat" is that it also by definition means fights will drag out for longer, because the players can't just alpha strike their enemies. And combat that starts out with a lot of whiffing and not really doing a lot of anything, rapidly gets boring for the players and GM both. Being able to start at full "power level" and doing things that matter from round one does a lot to keep people interested in the fights.

Ideally, combat either doesn't last too long, or the weak attacks at the start actually build towards the alpha strike that'll finish everything. Maybe you rack in some advantages to cash in later, or you force the enemy to decide whether he wants to eat more damage ealier or exhaust himself sooner.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Silent Legions

Those are some stiff poses. Is that what SAN loss does to you?

It's Kevin Crawford time again! You might remember this OSR sandbox game creating machine from games like Stars Without Number (aka OSR Traveller),
Other Dust (a post-apocalyptic prequel to SWN with an actual long term goal to kinda sorta fix everything), Red Tide (a rad Labyrinth Lord sourcebook),
Spears of the Dawn (classic murder hobo adventures in a fantasy version of Africa) and Exemplars & Eidolons (both a guideline on how to format an OSR game, and an actual OSR game about playing as mythical badasses equal to the likes of Heracles or Gilgamesh).

Silent Legions is one of Crawford's Kickstarter projects. offering his brand of OSR sandboxing to play games of Lovecraftian horror - with a twist. You see, it kinda does get pretty boring if it's always the Cthulhu mythos, and players might just have grown tired of having their newest PC always be shocked and horrified at seeing a Shoggoth or Deep One for the "first" time. So instead of making this Calls & Cthulhus, Crawford offers his typical sandbox toolkit assortment to allow the GM to quickly roll up an entire pantheon from scratch, complete with cults and an unpronouncable name generator. This way, the players can never be sure what Eldritch abominations they might encounter, or what these abominations are actually capable of once they do encounter them.

Or, you know, you can have them meet Mara from Shin Megami Tensei. Not sure if this needs censoring...

Character Creation

Character Creation in Silent Legions follows standard Crawfordian OSR convetions: roll 3d6 down the line (with the option to reroll everything if your total modifiers are below zero), and when you choose your class you can set one Attribute that is among the class' Prime Attributes to 14 (the minimum for a +1). This time around, you can't shuffle some points around.

If rolling your Attributes isn't your thing, Silent Legions offers a fast and simple array-like option: You can set any of your Attributes at either 14 (+1), 11 (+0 or 7 (-1), with the restriction being that you can have more 14s than you have 7s. As this happens before the Prime Attribute comes into play, you can dump one of them and end up with a character that has a +1 in two Attributes and is average everywhere else, for a guaranteed baseline competency.

Starting skills in SWN were determined by picking Skill Packages, with one being your background and the other one serving to more cleary define your class. In Silent Legions, you only have a background package, which determines the job you had before everything got all non-euclidian.
There's a total of 80 background present, each with 4 starting skills, either chosen baed on your characters vision or rolled up with a d8 and d10.
If the Backgrounds aren't anything for you, you can just pick 3 skill you like and the Culture skill of your society.

(And yes, 80 background do mean you get some more silly stuff like Bum, Programmer, Prostitute and Trust Fund Kid. Now that's a party setup I can get behind.)

Skills themselves are very much like in Stars Without Numbers, without the space stuff of course. You do however get an Occult skill, and one of the Combat specializations is Eldritch, which covers anything magical or alien in nature.
Everyone starts with their mother tongue and any language related to whatever nation or culture a character has as a Culture skill. The implication I get here is that either all otakus are fluent in Japanese, or knowing a lot about anime and katana supremacy really doesn't qualify as a skill in any meaningful way.

As this isn't exactly the type of game were total strangers meet up to investigate strange stuff goin on, there's an option to create random connections between the PCs, with each player rolling how his characters knows the character of the player to his left. So you might end up with a 3-man party in which PC #1 is a relative of PC #2, who in turn is a childhood friend of PC #3 who himself was a teacher of PC #1.

Classes

Unlike SWN and Other Dust, multiclassing is the norm instead of an optional rule. The classes also have four Class Abilities instead of one, learned at levels 1, 3, 4 and 10.
Instead of tracking their per day/hour usages, each use of a Class Ability costs Expertise, which slowly recovers with each sleep. Everyone starts with two points, and each level-up raises this maximum by one.

Unsurprisingly for this kind of game, we have a Madness score to keep track of. Everyone starts at 0 and goes batshit bonkers when this ever reaches 100. It's pretty much reverse SAN.

Saving Throws in this game are Physical Effect, Mental Effect, Evasion, Magic and Luck. Pretty much everyone is equally good at Luck, while the rest differs.

The Investigator (Prime Attributes: WIS and CHA, d6 Hit Dice, medium Attack, good at Evasion, bad at Magic)

"It was a cold, dark night..."

Your typical Lovecraftian horror protagonist dude who goes out to investigate a murder in a backwater village, only to discover some weird stuff.

Investigators start with several contacts to draw upon in order to get some new information, though it might come at a price. They later can quickly make out red herrings, find out if someone's lying, and go full on Gumshoe system by just automatically finding everything of intel value there is to find at a location.

The Scholar (Prime Attributes: INT and WIS, d4 Hit Dice, slow attack progression, good at Magic, bad at Physical)

"I think this 'FATAL' book is driving me insane..."

Your researchers, ocultists and bookworms in general. Once per day, they can automatically succeed at any knowledge skill check that doesn't involve the occult or Eldritch, cause that stuff's dangerous.

As they rise in level, they get to ignore Madness increase once per day, analyze a magical item, and can quickly assess the rough abilities of any weird critter they come across as long as it isn't disguises as anything else or way too alien or unique for the scholar to have ever read about.

The Socialite (Prime Attributes: INT and CHA, d6 Hit Dice, slow attack progression, good at Mental, bad at Evasion)

"Hi! I'm awfully cheerful for this kind of game!"

The face of the party. Pretty good when dealing with humans, not so good when dealing with something that has tentacles and multiple mouths.

Their abilities are almost like subdued telepathy: They can break the ice and have someone react friendly or intimidated towards them (if it makes sense, that is), can sense a person's emotions, blend in with almost any crowd and can finally more or less brainwash someone after a 5 minute talk.
There aren't really clear mechanical rules for any of this, so I suspect room for abuse. They certainly rule any social situation as long as they have Expertise to spend. Then again nothing about all of this helps if a lynch mob or unspeakable horror is after them.

The Tough (Prime Attributes: STR and DEX, d8 Hit Dice, fast attack progression, good at Physical, bad at Mental)

"You've got a pretty good right tentacle..."

The tank of the party and general big drat hero, for those who would like to play as Old Man Henderson.

They start out with the ability to instantly stabilize when hitting 0 HP. Further abilities let them shrug of critical hits and auto-crit once per fight, until they finally become badass enough to cause crits on otherwise uncrittable monsters (which is basically anything that's not a guy or animal). You migth still not be able to punch out Cthulhu, but certainly Deep Ones and cultists.

Equipment

Silent Legions uses an abstract system of tracking wealth, which goes in a similar region as d20 Modern but without any wealth bonuses or checks required.
Essentially, your wealth is tracked as an adjective Wealth Rating ranging from Penniless to Plutocratic. New characters start at Average (which makes you wealthy enough to pay mortgage for a house and own a car), and they have the option to go one step below to Struggling (gaining a new skill in return because because you're more resourceful) or one step above to Affluent (which has you start with 10 points of Madness because your sheltered life makes you extra unprepared for cosmic horrors).
Characters start off with anything that makes sense with their background. So a cop might already have a gun, and a pilot might have a helicopter somewhere he might not own personally, but still be able to use.

You can buy stuff up to you Wealth Rating (kinda, equipment cost has its own adjectives, each tied to a rating) without issues, especially stuff below your rating which you can buy in bulk, enough to equip half a dozen teammates (which is a big improvement over d20 Modern). Items one step above your rating can be bought at the cost of reducing your rating by one step for one month. Buy something two steps above your rating, and the drop is permanent.

Like in previous Crawford games, smaller melee weapons allow you to use DEX instead of STR right out of the gate, and your attack attribute bonus is always added to damage as well. This time around, weapons also have something called a Slaughter Die, which is related to this game's critical hit rules, which we'll get to later.

The equipment itself is overall like in SWN, without the futuristic stuff of course. New on the list are tasers, smartphones, fake IDs and a Geiger counter.

Vehicles of course include the trusty powerboat to knock out Cthulhu. And if the Eldritch horror is already on land, you get yourself a friggin' tank. Luckily, the game is sane enough to not have tanks for sale.

Next Time: The Rules of the Game - Slaughter Dice are scary.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 14, 2016

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

As further background, Bill Webb himself is the CEO of Frog God Games, the publisher of Original D&D retroclone Swords & Wizardry (and also Pathfinder-compatible equivalents), and especially the Rappan Athuk megadungeon, which is purportedly inspired by Gygaxian classics like the Tomb of Horrors.

Dammit I like Swords & Wizardry. I just hope none of his ideas made it into the actual core rules.

quote:

Putting this in context is a module like Tomb of Horrors. Imagine a player who has 500 hours invested in learning to play his character; he knows his skills and abilities inside and out. He values and holds dear the life of his character as if it were his own. Now take a player who has maybe 50 hours of play with the same power. Now put them both in Gary’s Tomb. The second guy is in for a short adventure.

I don't think I need 500 hours of experience to wrap my head around "I'm a level 10 Fighter. My skills an abilities are that I can hit stuff! And I may or may not have a castle somewhere!"

quote:

Even players using the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game could try this approach. It would take some getting used to, but I encourage you to give it a try and see how the players adapt. Try the 3d6 method, too. Players used to all high scores may complain at first, but after a while they get used to it and start using their heads instead of their stats to make characters legendary. The single highest level player character ever to play in my Lost Lands campaign (Flail the Great) had a 17 wisdom and nothing else above 9.

That's out to work well. It's not like Attribute bonuses are slightly more important in recent D&D iterations than they used to be.

"Player skill" is also not entirely helpful if the game mechanics are actually somewhat sound and your character just sucks in terms of probabilities and stuff.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Foraging

If you need to live off the land, there's a d20 table with a base 45% chance of letting you successfully roll on the d100 Foraging Results table. Having Druids, Rangers and Thieves in the party grants bonuses when foraging.

Aren't thieves supposed to be more at home in cities? What do they know about wilderness survival? Or maybe that's just my experience with The Dark Eye breaking through.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not really? It's the thing that always happens in heartbreakers when someone comes up with an idea to make combat more "realistic", often at the expense of Fighters, and then never (or in this case, only barely) makes the connection that anything that makes Fighters worse makes Wizards indirectly better as a consequence.

"I demand absoluate adherence to realism in my fantasy game of orcs and elves in which wizards violate every law of physics there is!"

ProfessorProf posted:

A friend of mine is prepping to run a One Piece game in it as we speak, it's more or less perfect for it. Gundam could work, although a lot of details would need to be abstracted (at least until we get our mecha splatbook out). People were talking about Pretty Cure / Sailor Moon earlier, also works great for that sort of thing.

Gotta test myself. For you see...

Poison Mushroom posted:

Why am I tempted to not only buy this $25 game, but then F&F it so everyone can have their curiosities sated?

I already have. I'm downright decadent in the first few months of each year because Christmas and my birthday are so close together. I could do a F&F if nobody else wants to.

Hunt11 posted:

Couldn't you still review it but instead take it from a designer perspective as in comment on why you made certain decisions and what systems you liked how they turned out and what you view as not quite meeting your original goal.

I'd say someone else does it while he comments on each post.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

FMguru posted:

Way back in grognards.txt, we noticed that fantasy games and supplements that add rules and options for fighting always ended up making fighting characters weaker (fatigue points, weapons getting damaged, bowstrings snapping, armor getting rusty, etc.) while games and supplements that added more rules and options for spellcasters always made them stronger (more spells, more specializations, more magic items, more things to summon, more rules for crafting items, etc.)

It's like some sort of favoritism towards what is essentially the medieval fantasy equivalent of nerds.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Bieeardo posted:

I'm getting the feeling that Bill hates elves because Bill leans on secret doors too heavily, and Bill's players caught wise-- like the one who started casting buffs when he noticed that particularly dense fluff descriptions coincided with a likely rain of poo poo.

Plus they have darkvision (depending on the edition of course, but definitely in his own Swords & Wizardry game), and adversarial GMs hate it if you deny them such fun tricks as "Everyone in the entire area knows you're coming because of your torches" or "Nobody said anything about lighting torches, so I assume you've all been stumbling around in the dark for hours and are now ambushed by monsters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Excellent.

And hey look, it's my favorite WoD game: Femi, the Nazying.

I'm not sure what's worse: That they so didn't stick the landing, that the mustache-twirling patriarchs will just go "Hur hur women can't type for poo poo" before returning to their daily reading of FATAL, or that they apparently missed the transgender bandwagon for extra progressiveness. Or maybe men just cannot be redeemned, even if they identify as a woman?

And since this seems to be the perfect opportunity to mention it, this is apparently a thing. Could this be the exception of the magical girl RPG rule "In the grim darkness of the Silver Millenium, there is only Meguca"? I dunno, but I'll keep it in my F&F todo list.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 16, 2016