Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I more meant you can get a lot more out of the Feats than you would out of just buying the powers. As in, for Invent Device, I can now completely ignore needing Superhuman Levels or taking Level 2 or 3 Powers because I can just build a magic item that does those things.

E: Edited it for clarity, thanks for pointing that out.
still pretty hilarious. I think in Aberrant Proper you needed mega-intelligence to do super-science stuff at all and it was actually a lot more limited.

EDIT: wait, if you don't actually NEED mega-intelligence to do super-science, is it possible to build the Gene Enhancement Chamber without being a Nova at all? EDIT EDIT: I mean, assuming you haven't already been enhanced by a helpful nova to be smarter, starting from Baseline Human, possibly with intermediary steps to enhance your intelligence so you can meet the DC to enhance your int more

Zereth fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Are you actually required to be a Nova to take the Invent ______ feats, though? Because if not it seems like the DCs are the only thing preventing an otherwise mundane person from building the Gene Enhancement Chamber aw dang, the idea of mundanes just building genetically-enhanced supersoldiers to go punch in Nova's poo poo was hilarious

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I mean, doubly hilarious because "well-trained genetic supersoldiers" are probably better than most novas who aren't System Masteryed up and if you could make them without a Nova being involved at all that'd have been incredibly hilarious and I'm sad it's not possible now

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

magic coin swords????
Please tell me more about magic coin swords.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neat!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

hyphz posted:

Nothing on Chandler's Flaw either, although that's probably a bit grognardy.
Google is not giving me relevant results, what's this?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

By popular demand posted:

Goddamn that stupid Basilisk brain fart of an idea shows that futurists are just LARPing 24/7.
What do you mean I totally left enough evidence around on the internet to fully reconstruct my personality, and none of it will be lost to time before the computer can be built and I definitely don't deliberately leave out parts of my personality or anything!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Seatox posted:

Not completly. If you soul-pact a supernatural and then claim them as a cover, you only get the mortal bits, not their gribbly powers. (Sidebar of page 117 of DtD Revised).

Assuming that Beasts have enough of a soul to be pact-able.

Edit: And yeah, you need to do exploit trickery to sell the whole show. But you can't just pact a mage and get access to Supernal magic.

Editedit: I kind of have vague memories of "Beasts can't make pacts with Demons" from somewhere, but I don't own a copy of Beast, and DtD existed before Beast, so yeah.
Trying to blend in with Mages seems like an incredibly, incredibly bad idea for a Demon because they are the people that are by far the most qualified to be able to tell if somebody is actually doing their Thing, or faking it like a Demon using those exploits is. And then investigate further and whoops there goes your cover unraveling.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

For whatever reasons, making it an explicit mechanic makes people waaaaaaaay more likely to invoke it. Probably something about psychology and socialization. Lots of people find it much easier to hold up a card than say, "Hey guys, this is a bit much, could we not?" I can agree that if the latter were natural it might lead to a better civilization, possibly, but that's not the reality we live in so just use the X-Card mechanic and make everyone happier.
Not to mention that there's a good chance that other people might say "No" to the "could we not" request, while if they say no to the x-card they're breaking the rules.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

AmiYumi posted:

Are you suggesting there are author avatar problems at the foundation employing Doctor Kain Pathos Crow??
who if I remember correctly is a talking dog

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

On the flip side, I believe if you allow custom magic item creation you can get very large bonuses to skills fairly early, letting you hit some of these ridiculous DCs without even being epic level.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I think my favorite part of 3e is how absolutely anything meaningful is accomplished through magic. Anything and everything.

By favorite I mean I hate it.
Hey, hey, hey!

Sometimes it's explicitly non-magical but uses the mechanics of a spell anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just Dan Again posted:

I like the potential gotcha of someone thinking that the geryo has to win in order to survive, so they choose something like tic-tac-toe so they can always force a draw. Then the game is over and Quattuor just eats their head. I'd probably have a smug NPC try this just to demonstrate what kind of opportunities the ban actually provides if my players weren't seeing it themselves.
Can you challenge it to another game while a game is currently in progress? "I challenge you to another game of Campaign for North Africa as soon as this one is completed!"