Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'll always remember GURPS Vampire: the Masquerade, in which Celerity 5 has a far higher cost (5 blood points), it lasts for 6 hours of literally getting three attacks per second (and around triple foot speed, for those that care). That's like 9 to 540 attacks per Storyteller turn, but Storyteller is just really vague that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"What if One Unique Thing, only it didn't matter and nobody cared?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I dunno, I think the purpose of something like Flex and systemizing that kind of thing is to encourage it. Ironically, even though suggesting things is "free", putting a cost on it gives it value and encourages people to actually use it.

It may be ham-handed here, but I don't think it necessarily presumes a hostile GM.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

So much of old White Wolf seems to be based around realizing a lot of old games are based on adolescent power fantasies and rejecting that, shouting "I'm an adult!!", and so you have the pushback mechanics in a lot of their games where any blatant power-seeking on the part of the player or character results in some punishment being levied against them.

But at the same time they didn't really move far beyond the basic structure of RPGs at the time, which were still largely get powers get xp get more powers. And to be clear, I'm not condemning that kind of game. But eventually you had games that started to deal with their internal conflict better like Orpheus or Changeling: the Lost, where you might get new cool powers but you're in so deep that it's slightly academic. But a lot of early White Wolf games feel like the bait and switch of "here's this really cool thing!" and "actually it turns out it suuucks isn't that deep?!"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

The thing is, they don't reject the adolescent power fantasies in the slightest. They just say they do.

Yeah, I just think they didn't really think outside of the standard RPG design standards of the time. I think having the ridiculous power characters like Methuselahs or Divis Mal is basically part of the "there's always a bigger fish" ethos so the player characters can never be on top of the power ladder, and otherwise giving the GM tools to glare at PCs and say "YOU FAIL" whenever they step out of "line".

It wasn't an elegant solution.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I agree, though there isn't necessarily a line dividing the two notions. Ultimately it's hard to puzzle out without picking the brains of the designers, and Aberrant is a long-table committee of contributors.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm going to give official warning, since it's been requested a number of times.

:siren: I'll be looking to reboot the thread on Labor Day here in America, which is September 2nd. :siren:

The existing thread will be archived as usual, but you may want to wrap up reviews before then, if you can. If you can't, that's not a big deal and can continue on as usual. But it'll allow us to revise the OP, start fresh, and lay down some new guidelines. If you have any suggestions, feel free to pass them on in the meantime.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

In the infancy of RPGs, Car Wars / Autoduel actually dealt with some of these issues, as cloning yourself (with "braintaping" to copy the mind) was introduced as an expensive kludge to maintain PCs with replacement bodies despite the game's lethality. A decent amount of fiction went around, of course, the notion of things like clones being activated "early" as "doppelgangers", getting put into the wrong body, getting your memories interfered with, etc. Not that it was often "transhuman", but it's interesting to at least realize this kind of sci-fi theme was poked around with extensively back in the '80s.

Not something you'd expect for a tongue-in-cheek vehicle game, in retrospect.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

megane posted:

Yet another unfortunate side effect of the supplement treadmill is that every splat has roughly 15 eeeevil mirror versions running around. You can't swing a cat without hitting an angsty pseudo-vampire with a CORRUPTED SOUL and DARK REFLECTIONS of the normal vampire powers.

Well, one thing that felt more emphasized in the original nWoD books was the toolkit nature of their books, where there are all sorts of antagonists that may or may not exist or be relevant to a given chronicle.

I feel like the trimmed-down nature of the 2e books - and their focus on a singular antagonist for each line - undercuts that somewhat. We do get more focused games overall, which is probably for the best, but the mythology feels a little more fixed. All the same, it's not like you're going to use every antagonist any more than you're likely to go through every monster in the Monster Manual.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I remembered and then forgot to deal with the F&F thread close today, so I'll be giving a respite until 9/9.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'll be archiving the thread and starting anew, it was announced about a week-and-a-half back.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

As a reminder, I'll be closing this thread and starting a fresh one in ~24 hours.

If you have any suggestions for the new OP, let me know in the meantime.

You don't need to finish or end your reviews; you can just continue them on in the new thread.

That's all!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The thing all the Epic feats from the Epic Level Handbook really make me think is that so many of them are just... by 20th level, if you don't have a magic weapon with that ability already, you probably never needed or wanted it. Enhancement bonus to punches? Chaotic quality on a weapon? Some huge skill bonus to maximize? That's what geeps are for, not levels!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

The back of the book has rules for about 3000 diseases and minor critters, but there are no cool pictures so it is too boring for me to cover.

I have learned well that I will know the aliens by their vagina dentatta or lamprey mouths.

uh, maybe don't do a search on the former to make sure you're spelling that right, thanks for getting right to the business, google :cripes:

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

♫ Meet the new thread, same as the old thread, say thanks to inklesspen. ♫