Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Oh gently caress, there is more show left.

Oscar and his massive sweater neckhole is my spirit animal.

I have very little idea who Sia is. Good thing its 2016 and nobody can type in "Picture of Sia" into their phones you smart and brazen marketer. Not liking the lovechild of Beetlejuice. Dr. Claw and Lady Gaga so far. Still, will probably mentor laps around Steven Van Zzzzzzzzzz.

Sia via La'Porsha: I guess there is nothing she could do that wouldn't be a big letdown from last week.

Sia via M'kenz: I appreciate the titanium-toned baseball jacket styling choice, I really do. Someone out there probably really wants to use this as a 30 second spot for the pre-failure smartphone app their parents are bankrolling.

Sia via The Singing Waiter: Its drat nice to hear Trent get out of his warble tone. This could be nice. Nice at least when he holds off on that well-worn vibrato. Trent probably locked in his top 3 spot in an underwhelming night.

Si Via D: Well he didnt fall off the stage and/or soil himself. See you next one Dalton, keep that fake crying on hand you, the Ric Flair of final Idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
As horrible, strangling, egregious, monetizing trainwreck as this show is, the Angry Birds auditions were the first occasion to literally make me say "kill me now" at the TV. :emo:

Should we know, or give a gently caress who Sia is, other than Scott Buttfeta's wannabe Lady Gaga?

Nice of Dalton to do the Bioshock Infinite song, but that was the worst arrangement of it I've ever heard.

quote:

I never watched the David Cook season but he don't seem to have evolved much from the other times I've seen him guesting. if maybe not regressing a bit closer to some near Chad Kroeger vocal/lyrical lazyness.
David Cook is perhaps my favorite Idol winner ever, but that song was terrible, much moreso even than the other, mediocre stuff he has done post Idol.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 25, 2016

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Okay for serious real not knowing who Sia is in 2016 is pretty remarkable. Congratulations to the both of you. With that said she's had a long career and is extremely good but also indulges art in all ways at all times which is part of her appeal to me. That and the songs are killer.

And yeah Cook's in my top 3 winners for sure. Eh maybe top 5. But he's up there.

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 26, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I mean, I've read the name before, and I've heard a song or two that it turns out she was involved with, and if you asked me who Sia was, at gunpoint, I'd have correctly guessed 'some kind of musician', but I had no idea about the lame branding exercise she pretends to inhabit.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Found it interesting how many close up shots of her were at chest level.
Not surprised that Sonika is out. I'm still holding to LaPorsha-Trent as a final, I'm guessing Dalton finally leaves next week. His faux crying is not going to keep him in much longer.
LaPorsha's dreads bothered me so much - they just didn't balance her overall look at all. I'm feeling Trent's aww-gee-shucks is going to end up taking the title.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Oh Jesus the sound mixing tonight is terrible.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hometown visits? This is essentially idol moving to a hospice in its last days. And we get half a night of Scott Botox's picks. So its hospice care with a clumsy nurse.

La'Porsha looks great.

Mackorg takes the easiest route possible to the top 3. Pure vote bait. Breaks a big chorus 'luya into three short breaths. And the last one into two. Not good.

Dalton: Full on smoky eye and not just guyliner. As The Dog, The late Randy Jackson, would have said, "He's in it to Win It, Ry-Unn!" Good to see Dalton in his lane doing emo pop. This is going better for him. Sure its awful, but its genuinely his sort of awful and is forgivable, like a biting into the coconut filled candy in a box of chocolates.

Trent rides home in a tacky rear end stretch Bronco They make him wait tables. I like this. And every cop in the state comes with, easy overtime on Trent duty I suppose. I like this performance. Hopefully its enough to boot Dalton, but like country should be, is really the noose that will end him being too out of touch with the voting base.

La'Porsha: Getting eaten by that mix like Anya said. Nice that she didn't go for a vote bait song with prior footprints all over it, unlike one toothy little poo poo. Wasn't great though. Scott Borch could serve her up a rotten song choice and it might be a Go-home night for L'P as Idol tries to re-manufacture a Jennifer Hudson on their way to a redux of Lambert v. Allen.

Oh nice. The toothy little poo poo is gone.

Daltone: I sort of re-happened upon this song a few months ago and really like its odd Brucy 80's ness. Dalt fucks it when he talks through it. And utterly fumbles the dulcet bit on "little world falling apart". They killed the song to make it Dalty. All we can hope for now is that the new makeup on D gives him an allergic reaction so bad that not even Lauren Alaina's in-scrubs stage doctor can let him go through to next week.

La': Serving up two unrecognizable songs to the voting base? Didn't know FORD made busses. This is too yuppie piano bar for what she should be doing.

Tent Hardman: One of the worst openings to a song in idol history. Sounds like someone shaking up music store's dumpster. Wow. That aforementioned bus swerved and got Trend with the back wheels as it was still smearing La over the stage. Holy poo poo this was the worst song. I could not imagine something worse. Scott, wtf?

Oh no need to imagine worse. Keif "Flatiron" Urb is performing.

A third song? Judges picks? Someone, possibly Trent is getting stuck with "I Luh Ya Papi", aren't they.

Dalton making GBS threads on another of my beloved 80's jams. Collapses on "world", no Orzabal is he sir. No Orzabal at all! gently caress this shtick. Dalton's wheelhouse is some ugly Michael Myers shack where things go to get butchered and dismembered. I'd rather have heard Mackenzie's twee bullshit than that.

Oh wow. As if to say I'm sorry and reward her for all that water carrying they, probably by California law, gave La'Porsha a current, recognizable hit. Better late than never I guess. Should be more than enough to save her from Dalton's house of horrors.

Trent: The last hope of the WGWG continuum stretching back into pre-history to the first slightly masculine paramecium that had the most resonant cilia in a primordial pond. A very clean production with just that piano. Trent nailed a few really good notes and didn't songbird on them too much. I hope he too is saved from the clutches of Mascara Monster.

C'mon anyone but Dalton.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I still am calling a Trent surprise win. But drat, the song choices for Dalton were dreadful.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
'MURICAN IDOL / THREE ROUNDS & TOP 3 REVEALED / RYAN GOT DAM SEACREST

ah, hometown visits / elliot yamin's the best / let's all cry in cars

MacKenzie Bourg, “Hallelujah” (4.5/10) song is done to death / doesn't do anything new / horrid breath control

Dalton Rapattoni, “Calling You” (-8/10) what? blue october? / is he from the midwest now? / put your drat hands down

Trent Harmon, “Tennessee Whiskey” (-6/10) trent "loving" harmon / STILL doesn't know who he is / nor how to say words

La’Porsha Renae, “Glory” (7/10) john legend, common / la P, the sole good singer / decent combo y'all

Mac K is gone now / i miss idol being good / i won't miss Mac K

Borchetta's ready / smells much like backroom handjobs / sad, sticky fingers

Dalton Rapattoni, “Dancing in the Dark” (-10/10) this motherfucker / make a crap song worse and worse / feces layer cake

La’Porsha Renae, “Stay With Me” (8/10) Slezak melted down / a bad look even for him / seriously read it

TVLine posted:

La’Porsha Renae – Lorraine Ellison/Bette Midler’s “Stay With Me” — Grade: B | I’ve been longing for someone to cover “Stay With Me” on Idol since at least as far back as Joshua Ledet’s Season 11 run [..] — so imagine my surprise when La’Porsha’s rendition turned out to be decent, but ultimately underwhelming. I mean, it’s not that La’Porsha wasn’t in tune, but her turgid phrasing left her consistently behind the beat, taking away the urgency and raw drama that makes “Stay With Me” one of the great heartbreak anthems of all-time ever. Plus, her melodic tweaks – usually so spot-on – didn’t quite land, either, leading to a conclusion that was sometimes more screamy than stirring.

Now, as for La’Porsha’s affably cheeky admission that she’d never sing a lyric begging a man to stay with her… I’m of two minds. In fairness, she got asked a direct question by Harry about why she’d hesitated to cover the tune when mentor Stevie Van Zandt suggested it last week, so you can’t really fault her for her honesty about the lyrics not appealing to where she’s at in her life. But… — and feel free to zing me down in the comments for my stance — even with La’Porsha’s history of fleeing an abusive relationship, I was taken aback by her oversimplification of the story she was telling, as well as her understanding of her job as both a reality competition contestant and an artist. “I would never tell a woman to beg, but I just had to get in character,” La’Porsha argued. To which I’d ask, at what point in the lyrics of “Stay With Me” is there a call for the listener to mimic the overwhelming desperation of the narrator? Does La’Porsha mean an artist can’t tell a story about the absolute depths of human emotion without endorsing said emotions? And are musical artists only supposed to delve into feelings and narratives that are purely autobiographical? (If that’s the case, then no more sad songs for Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson or Fantasia Barrino now that they’re all happily married!)

I’m asking subjective questions, for sure, but La’Porsha is a week away from ending a Farewell Season that has no summer tour and no guarantees of a contract that will help her get her music to a larger audience. She signed up for a competition knowing that Top 3 week inevitably requires abandoning song choice to the judges and mentors. Once “Stay With Me” was set in stonem I wish she’d have put aside her reservations, put her heart and soul into it, and tried to find the value in making 10 million people understand the reality of loneliness, longing and losing the person you love — and realizing there’s strength in that storytelling, even if the narrative is about weakness. (I know, I know… my Reality Check co-host Melinda Doolittle is going to refute my overly long argument by re-wearing her “Nope” t-shirt on our next episode!)

Oh, and by the bye, if you don’t know “Stay With Me,” give a listen here to Bette Midler’s version from The Rose soundtrack, and imagine what might’ve been had La’Porsha fully invested herself in the music.

is that gaysplaining? / either way, deeply shameful / that fumbled phrase though

Trent Harmon, “Drink You Away” (-8.5/10) they cleared this ditty / for trent to do (gestures) that?! / desperate garbage

Keith Urban, "Wasted Time" (fart/10) mr kidman is bad / double necked guitars are good / it doesn't balance

the judges' choice round / and look who's in attendance! / trent "free pass" harmon

Dalton Rapattoni, “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” (-9/10) god dammit Idol / this fraud will be at the Nok / to poo poo all the beds

La’Porsha Renae, “Hello” (5/10) i see the future / hello from the other side / she got jax'd, it sucks

Trent Harmon, “Waiting Game” (8.5/10) just imagine it / trent harmon, the last idol / president trump too

we get what we give / and i give no shits at all / at least i'm out clean

five days til final / seven days until freedom / i will drink all week

thank you idol thread / all 4, 5 or 6 of you / for keeping the faith

i'll close with a joke / it's dalton rapattoni / ha ha ha ha ha

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

A Flanneled Man's Unhinged Ranting posted:

That is a bad look. Sleeze seems to be a bit stuck in the mindset of a director on the set of the original Lil' Rascals where if someone refused to perform you'd just sell them back to the same molten lead factory you discovered them in. I don't want to hear someone perform a song they don't want to sing, for whatever reason, but especially not if its viscerally painful to them.

Melinda is going to hopefully drag him around by his ear on Reality Check and not fall for his efforts to mute her criticism down to just a t-shirt.

I don't think he's grappling well with the end of the show that pretty much made him. The traffic on his recent video work has been abysmal. Maybe he's just mad at the world right now? Bah, who am I to apologize for him. That's his hosed up concept.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

shadow puppet of a posted:

That is a bad look. Sleeze seems to be a bit stuck in the mindset of a director on the set of the original Lil' Rascals where if someone refused to perform you'd just sell them back to the same molten lead factory you discovered them in. I don't want to hear someone perform a song they don't want to sing, for whatever reason, but especially not if its viscerally painful to them.

Melinda is going to hopefully drag him around by his ear on Reality Check and not fall for his efforts to mute her criticism down to just a t-shirt.

I don't think he's grappling well with the end of the show that pretty much made him. The traffic on his recent video work has been abysmal. Maybe he's just mad at the world right now? Bah, who am I to apologize for him. That's his hosed up concept.

The best part about it is that every other song got his usual 3-4 sentences and there isn't another recapper under the sun who gave a poo poo.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Dalton is the idol this season deserves.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Via TMZ:

quote:

'AMERICAN IDOL' SERIES FINALE - HUNG & DUNKLEMAN RETURNING!!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Wow, even the official History of American Idol special fell into the "after Simon left, the show became all about the judges and we forgot about the contestants."

RIP American Idol, I only wish I'd seen a season with Simon. My wife got me watching when we moved in together... just in time for the Nikki Minaj - Mariah Carey season.

This show was supposed to be good once, right?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

FadingChord posted:

Wow, even the official History of American Idol special fell into the "after Simon left, the show became all about the judges and we forgot about the contestants."

RIP American Idol, I only wish I'd seen a season with Simon. My wife got me watching when we moved in together... just in time for the Nikki Minaj - Mariah Carey season.

This show was supposed to be good once, right?

Seasons 1 and 4-7 are about as good as reality TV gets, though any given season is best enjoyed by watching auditions until you're bored then skipping to the top 10/12/13.

GOOD SEASONS

S5 - The strongest, deepest roster of contestants. Notable in that the winner both fully deserved to, and in no world should have, won. The winners of many of the seasons to follow wouldn't have made the voting rounds, and rightfully so. This was Idol at its most assured, and its golden goliath status brings an importance to the proceedings that never feels unearned.
S1 - Obviously. The show hadn't found its footing but it was in the midst of blowing up and the excitement is palpable. It's a cakewalk for Kelly versus a light struggle for Justin Guarini but everything was new and none of the conclusions felt foregone, even upon a full rewatch years later. The wild card shows are a nightmare of confusion.
S7 - Easily the most entertaining season for reasons both wonderful and terrible in equal measure. Features the infamous 2-week Beatles songbook showcase debacle and a nearly perfect finale with the two Davids.
S6 - The Sanjaya season features some of the most talented singers in the show's history, and also Blake Lewis. The finale is dumb as a box of rocks but getting there is a lot of fun for schadenfreunde enthusiasts as you can visibly see the show getting frustrated with voting results. Arguably the only season meaningfully influenced by VFTW.
S4 - Earns its place in my heart mostly for the finale, which is absolutely the best, closest match-up the show has ever seen talent-wise. To put it another way: even if you know who's going to win you're going to get lost in the moment. Though In the long view it's a very easy run for Carrie.

MIXED BAGS

S8 - The beginning of the decline of Idol. Kara added as fourth judge, Danny Gokey lasting far, far too long, The Judges' Save becomes a thing... and yet a compelling finale in Lambert v Allen and a number of very strong contestants. Probably the last good season despite all the tinkering.
S12 - The Zoanette season featuring Nicki and Mariah. It takes a while to get there (and a shitload of Lazaro Arbos) but the all-women Top 5 are forces of nature - though they are towered over by Candice Glover, whose run this season is absolutely one of the most impressive in the show's history.
S11 - The Phillip "Phil" Phillips season. Quite a bit of fuckery but a lot better than the two seasons that preceded it. Perhaps the only time the Judges' Save was used correctly and had any positive impact on the season. The height of the WGWG streak (5 in a row!).
I'm abstaining from ranking S3 because it's the only season I didn't watch all of. We started it but got bored, even before J.Hud got eliminated. Notable for the objectively bad first single from Fantasia, "Baby Mama". Notable because it takes herculean effort to do worse than the winner of...
S2 - If you're a big fan of Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard - or both - this is a great season. But it is just the two of them trading wins while the other jabronis get picked off and it's very hard to get invested. Ruben's single "Sorry 2004" is a lesson in how not to make a timeless classic.

GARBAGE

S9 - The Crystal Bowersox season that was nonetheless won by Lee Dewyze. Maybe the worst season for judges as Ellen Degeneres and Kara Dioguardi somehow were less useful than Randy Jackson. Bowersox has an amazing season and it's stupefying to see her not win. The first Bad Season.
S13 - The Caleb season. Notable for having its winner call his fans "retards" during the competition. Jena Irene puts up a decent fight throughout but it's a bit of a slog otherwise. Despite his win being a foregone conclusion, Caleb absolutely has one of the best runs the show has ever seen.
S10 - The fuckiest season. Back to 3 judges, two of them new and one of them Randy. Jimmy "The Dick" Iovine gets involved. Judges' Save gets used at Top 11 for future footnote Casey Abrams only to have presumed frontrunner Pia Toscano brutally eliminated in 9th. The first lovely finale between Babylockthemdoors and Widdle Wauwen.
S14 - The first season with no good contestants, with the possible exception of Jax whose sudden and unceremonious dumping before the final 2 performance show is one of the show's lowest moments. Also the first season with a once-weekly format that all but guaranteed the singers who performed in the back half of the show would be eaten alive by their nerves, especially the ones singing for the Judges' Save - which was wasted on Qaasim Middleton the second week of live shows - or the Twitter Save - which disenfranchised all viewers west of the Rockies and solely benefitted Rayvon Owen (who left in 4th anyway, ostensibly tying with Jax).
S15 - I can't think of anything that would make this season any better than the last. La'Porsha winning would feel like a foregone conclusion on par with Caleb and the remaining contestants have been overwhelmingly poor-to-middling. Voting didn't really open until the top 6, with the Judges' Save becoming a weekly feature, ironic since the democracy of the show is what made it such a phenomenon in the first place. It's been a dead show walking all season and it's finally over in... one more night?

Hahaha I wrote this entire thing not specifically aware that the performance finale is in a few hours. I guess I still have some enthusiasm kicking around up there after all.

I have to work the next two nights so I won't be watching any of this live. I wish you all the best as we reach the end of our Idol journey. Namaste y'all.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

S12 was the most garbage of garbage seasons.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Everyone forgets about S3. :smith: I thought it was better than S4 actually, where Carrie was the lock to win and nobody even came close.

Other than that I agree with Shups (didn't watch any of S11-12 personally). The show turned to poo poo the moment Simon left. Bowersox was the last contestant I really liked and rooted for.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Go La'Porsha, gently caress you Dalton.

shadow puppet of a posted:

S12 was the most garbage of garbage seasons.

But it was endlessly entertaining. That goes a long way in my book. That and I can't call a season garbage that includes the best Idol performance of all time.

pigdog posted:

Everyone forgets about S3. :smith: I thought it was better than S4 actually, where Carrie was the lock to win and nobody even came close.

Bo has the best performance finale of a non-winner not named McPhee or Bowersox. Hell I'd rank him above Lambert for the a cappella "In A Dream" alone, which remains one of the best and frequently overlooked Idol performances.

eta: P E R F O R M A N C E

SHVPS4DETH fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 7, 2016

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Serious post: as a completely cheesy person, I'm loving seeing all former contestants and how they have improved since being on the show.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Anya posted:

Serious post: as a completely cheesy person, I'm loving seeing all former contestants and how they have improved since being on the show.

My wife is flipping her poo poo literally every time somebody new comes up on the screen.

It's pretty adorable :3:

e: well that's not how I saw this ending.

Harry and Keith both looked shocked too.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 8, 2016

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Laporsha should have won. She is one of the best singers ever on idol. She better have a huge career after this.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/skepticalsports/status/715765006319624192

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
To be honest, I voted Trent over LaPorsha. But, had Dalton and LaPorsha been the final two, I would have voted LaPorsha. I thought they were equally matched, but I saw Trent more as the "idol type" and LaPorsha going in the footsteps of Jennifer Hudson/Adam Lambert. I'm not surprised by the final two - called it awhile ago.

Wow, re-reading my post history, should have bet this in Vegas a couple months ago.

Anya fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 8, 2016

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Aww everybody is back. Wait, lots of everybody. Is that Thia Megia? Aaah The Rocker. James Durbin. Melinda Dolittle! I thought she was Idol persona non-grata. This song choice is poo poo for this, never change Idol. Er, I guess, uh. Well you wont have the chance to will you.

And either that was the magic of editing or 90 idols disappeared in a puff of Seacrest. And a shot of Dunkleman. Dunkie is doing well up there. Poor guy. A painful hug of the man that stabbed you in the back for a mere hundred million dollars plus in piss-easy hosting.

That Judges table should have like a dozen empty chairs at it. If we dont get Kara "Package Artist" DioGuardi and yes, Randy "Randy Jackson" Jackson, back for a spell of judging then I'll be let down.

Nice of James Durbin to show up with a spare set of leather pants for Trent. Jesus Christ this song choice.

Oh Hi Kara. Not what I axed for but its more dignified than your bikini stunt. Good on you for learning to say no. Nice they gave Colton one last chance to minister to a captive audience. God does indeed work his miracles through karaoke contests.

This duet should really be Justin Guarani and Paula Abdul. Because they hosed. Remember? Justin does. Paula may not, but I'd blame that on the ambien, not a lack of heart.

If they bring back Ski-bow-ski for a verse I'll mark right out. Or Ryan Nisbet, where the gently caress did that 'sui generis' little scamp ever disappear to?

The Rocker singing sass-n-B? Slezak is cumming in his flannel underwear. And she's battling with pants on the ground guy. Oh Idol. You couldn't resist. You'll make the coronation song a duet with William Hung wont you?

Checking in on past pretty contestant Julie Zorilla she seems to no longer be paid to promote #Dubai on twitter. I hope she got out of there unscathed. Be well Julie.

gently caress I thought this was yet another 4 minutes wasted on a Keith Urban song but this duet with Carrie is a good song choice and a good rendition. I cant wait for Lazero Arbos's verse. C'mon Idol, do your thing and kill the vibe. I'll accept Richie Law in lieu of Lazero. Or Heejun. Or John Cena. Oh that worked out well.

Secrest putting his back to Dunkleman in this segue as if to punctuate a point. Give a rest Ryan.

Is that Skyler? The girl who was dating and defending the racist murderer? Amazing they brought her back. That must sting for anyone sitting at home who did not get the invite. Hello thick Kree. Please call me. My number is 1866IDOLS01. My heart goes out to whatever company gets those numbers when idol goes into re-runs.

Has there been a number that Constantinos has not been part of yet?

Babylockthemdoers has not aged a minute. But his shtick has actually got some dynamics added to it. Good for him I guess.

I wonder what we'll get of Simon as he is right in the middle of the Panama Papers scandal. I hope he shows up anyway, finally going shirtless with a lav mic clipped to his ample chest hair. Its the look he always dreamed of.

Shame that this show wont be around for this little currently girl dueting with Harry to one day get a semi-undeserved push straight through Hollywood week just so they can reference this moment in endless clips.

You know what is making me sad right now, 4-6 readers of this thread, that we could right now be witnessing the Coronation of Shi's sister if she hadn't quit. Which would really be Shi's coronation. Shi'd be on that stage like a tongue on a Nutella-covered spoon.

Oh, look its Constantinos again. Hi. No that's ok, don't have Melinda Dolittle sing again or anything.

Oh wow, its Clay. So Idol could forgive both a nearly-accessory to murder and a harsh Twitter critic. Very big of you Mr. Fuller. Jesus Clay, shave, please. And this should be a duet with you and McCreary, twins that you are.

Oh that girl! Amber, or something. She was great. Had a kid right after the show and fell off the face of the earth. Good to see her back. Wish she was in tune, but still good to see her back.

Thia Jessica Sanchez getting a diva spotlight on the Idol finale is probably worth a million bucks in renewed tour interest back in the Philippines. Good for her, probably going to make the most off this night after Constantinos gets paid out for 9 separate performances.

The only reason Mindy should not have sung again yet is if she's doing to do a surprise duet with Slezak himself. And Annie Barrett and MJ Santilli come in and it turns into a Sharks vs Jets thing of recappers and vloggers.

Am I the only one that forgot there were 3 people actually competing tonight? Nice to go an hour Dalton-free though.

Jlo performing. Hope Casper makes an apparition. I was wondering if she'd have a laugh perform that song "Booty" but nice of her to twerk it out instead to a latin solo. Alright that's enough now but good on you for maintaining that 46 year old rear end in that kind of shape.

Jhud killing it on that bit with the piano. That was amazing.

Gokey! My night is complete! Gokey with Clark Beckham. My god, :bahgawd: This is the wrestlemania of Idol episodes, like when DX fought the NWO.

Speaking of fantasy booking, could Fantasia get to sing with Melinda, maybe?

Any sign of Lil' Rounds yet? Who was that kid that got Jhud eliminated with Crocodile rock? I'm sure we could get Constantinos to duet with him.

Ledet! Yessss! He just killed that! Someone get a fix on Skyler's whereabouts.

Hi Melinda. Hi Candice. Would be nice to have about 90 less singers on stage, but I'll take it.

Idol should do a solid and have Melanie Amaro on for a song as a show of empathy, as she'll never get a goodbye like this. I hope your millions are lasting Mel.

OMG WGWG SUPER APOCALPYSE! This is amazing in its identicality. Mackenzie Bourg should be in this line up. No? Oh well. Sucks for him. maybe hes shouldn't have sucked so much. Nick Fraudi needs to stay suited and drop the white undershirt look, he cleans up well. Good to see Lee still hasn't dropped the mumble. And where is Kris Allen in all this? A big enough star not to get stuck in a mob of Martins I suppose.

Oh the cringe montage. They didn't have to do this. Oh the "Brothers! Standing Together!" guy. Well, I guess it was worth getting to see him again.

Hi Paula. You look fantastic for 53. Call me if Kree doesn't. Ah, Simon was able to get through customs & immigration with what amounts to proof of quasi-money laundering hanging over his head. I bet Simon doesn't have a clue as to who the current final contestants are.

Was Dalton eliminated at some point and I missed it? Damnit. You can't trust these pirated rips. Oh I apparently missed the entire performance episode. Ha!

Glad to see Dalton missing out on the Fusion. You didn't deserve it kid. Maybe someone at Ford can comp you a dealer-inventory 2014 Fiesta on a two month trial. That's more your speed.

No sign of that other girl that just recently became a big hit after losing a recent Idol season? Tori Kelly? If not, good for her. No need to slot herself in with a duet with Constantinos if her journey is on the upswing.

Its Trent! WGWG will never die. Only rise again, whiter, strunger. Drop the confetti Keiran, I want confetti mouth like in coronations past.

Dalton doing a good job of feigning happy. Glad to see his predictable and practiced stage moves pay off in the end.

Goodbye Idol.

Ah there is the confetti.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 8, 2016

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Let the record reflect that America's Idols are one black man, two white women, three women of color, and nine white dudes.

Rest in piss idol

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
After the poo poo laced rotten piss lemonade that was the season, the finale was actually quite awesome. Good job, show.

With the result I was fine with either way.
LaPorsha has all the vocal chops in the world, but she never really put it all together. Always performing at 80-85%, never truly connecting.
Trent didn't have as much talent, but some of his last performances were impeccable. Truth be told he could make better use of the winner's spotlight -- I think she is going to have a career either way.

Carrie Underwood only gets hotter as time goes by. Constantine has not aged one day. What is this sorcery?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

La'Porsha got signed to a deal with Motown Records this morning, which was not a lock to happen in these latter seasons. So great news for her, and that takes off some of the sting and uncertainty of losing.

No word on anyone *cough*pleasenotdalton else getting signed. But still, there is youtube these days. Shame about the lack of tour for good people like Sonika though, but the S15 tour's venue listing might as well have just been "Local Airport Starbucks" for each of the 40 cities it would hit if past seasons' trends held their decline.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
That's basically why I voted Trent in the end. He figured out the social media aspect/how to perform and win the crowd and that's what you have to do to win the teeny boppers in the end. Some serious vocal coaching for LaPorsha and him and maybe we'll see some stuff by fall.

Seeing JLo and Harry freak out that LaPorsha didn't win was pretty hilarious.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

What exactly went down between Seacrest and Dunkleman back in the day, anyway? Having watched 0 seconds of the first season it seems obvious that two hosts were overkill, but was it just a producer choice to go down to Seacrest or did he actively dick Dunkleman over?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Seacrest is a much better presenter and the producers chose him, I don't think there was anything more than that.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Dunkleman quit after first season because he didn't like how the contestants were being treated/fake crying set up by producers, and that he thought that hosting would jeopardize his career.
This is per reading an interview a couple days ago, I barely remember any of the first season.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I will be legitimately blown away if the final Idol isn't female.

Heh.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

tbf that was in january during auditions and they seemed to be getting lots of really talented women. How we ended up with the jokers we got is honestly astonishing. Also Trent Harmon beating La'Porsha is objectively confounding, presuming you ignore that the producer narrative all but directly handed him the season.

Anya posted:

Dunkleman quit after first season because he didn't like how the contestants were being treated/fake crying set up by producers, and that he thought that hosting would jeopardize his career.
This is per reading an interview a couple days ago, I barely remember any of the first season.

Yeah this was it. I prefer to imagine that he said "IT'S HIM OR ME!!" and they shrugged and showed him the door, but the reality of it is much funnier.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Welp

someone's double posting, so it's finally happening, as it must before this thread closes

a SHUPS recap? aw hell no. This year's Idol Shithead Award goes to... La'Porsha Renae! She won something after all!

:sigh:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'm surprised Dalton or LaPorsha didn't win, if we're going for "producer narrative" arguments. Dalton was OH HE'S BIPOLAR AND SO SAD and LaPorsha was STRONG WOMAN WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN; I never got anything out of Trent besides "boring white southern dude with a guitar number 9000" from the contestant segments.

Well, that and a peek into the exciting worlds of YouTube celebrities and Ford product placement.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Trent overcame the adversity of mono and having to sing solo during group week. I salute him! :fsmug:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Slezak posted a batch of interviews with Trent and La'Porsha if anyone out there needs closure. Warning, the audio is terrible and you have to watch Trent's media handler stare at him the whole time.

Youtube:TVLINE

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Well I'm glad I could bring myself to watch the final episodes from last week, brought the whole concept quite nicely together. If I remember correctly, I watched seasons 4-6 pretty much completely, as well as season 15 (and by "complete" i mean "probably skipping a bunch of episodes between top 20 and top 3". It's also possible that I watched at least the auditions and Hollywood week in seasons prior to season 4, hard to say. In any case, I managed to avoid entirely all that with Nicky Minaj, Ellen DeGeneris, Mariah Carey and all the WGWG seasons.
It looks like my internal gut feeling of "when to watch American Idol" was pretty good in this regard.

Trent pretty much nailed it in the crucial final songs, especially that one cruise ship song "selected by Simon Fuller". It probably helped that I didn't really look at him, I just listened while doing some things at home. That song and the comments afterwards was pretty much the first time that I realized that Trent could actually win it all. I mean of course every one understands that Porsche is the better singer, but her character was even more boring than Trent's. Trent pulled from all the right strings to get those votes, all those rehearsed comments that made him seem humble and nice and confident in the right way. LaPorsha "peaked too early" :viggo:

The final episode with the best and the worst singers of 15 seasons was pretty representative of the whole concept; great singers, mediocre singers, hilariously bad singers (and I don't mean William Hung)... the piece with the chubby white girls was so ridiculous when there was some all-around good performances before and after. And I don't know if the producers were intentionally taking the piss on the WGWG concept with that awful display of five useless singers with guitars, or if some one actually thought that it was a good idea.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Bolivar posted:

Trent pretty much nailed it in the crucial final songs, especially that one cruise ship song "selected by Simon Fuller". It probably helped that I didn't really look at him, I just listened while doing some things at home. That song and the comments afterwards was pretty much the first time that I realized that Trent could actually win it all. I mean of course every one understands that Porsche is the better singer, but her character was even more boring than Trent's. Trent pulled from all the right strings to get those votes, all those rehearsed comments that made him seem humble and nice and confident in the right way. LaPorsha "peaked too early" :viggo:

And that's how you win. Win the voters hearts and you have it. Also, how Dalton made it to top three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bolivar posted:

And I don't know if the producers were intentionally taking the piss on the WGWG concept with that awful display of five useless singers with guitars, or if some one actually thought that it was a good idea.

Rupert Murdoch himself was in the audience and knew better than anyone how many billions he made off putting WGWG's on air at 8pm and only having to pay them the legal minimal per diem and feed them one (1) sandwich and one (1) drink per 5 hours of captive work with no need to pay residuals or royalties as they were 'contestants' the whole time they were on camera. It was his proudest dream of paying the least to get the most..

He loved those WGWGs more than any midwestern teenybopper ever will.

• Locked thread