Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

jivjov posted:

Finally put my finger on what was bugging me about the costuming. A lot of the elven clothes feel way too...real? Like, the outfits they wear to run the gauntlet right at the beginning of the first episode look like something you'd buy off the shelf at a clothing store at a mall. Slightly fancy T-Shirts. And Amberle is very obviously wearing a regular ol' 21st century bra under hers.

I actually kind of liked it. Like, their whole civilization grew up around old human ruins, it's not too out there that they found old clothes or depictions of them and based their fashion on that.

I never actually read the books (because my gradeschool teacher confiscated the first one from me for reading in class and never gave it back, weird how memories like that stick with you), but after watching the pilot I'm down to give this a try. THe dialogue could be better but the production design is impressive.

Also, loving Manu Bennet and John Rhys-Davies :swoon:

Also also, it's a tiny thing but those little elven ear-caps are adorable

e: What's the deal the OP goes into how elves aren't mutations but have always been around? I was just assuming all the different races were descended from humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Poor Wil being sent on a quest with two chicks who are fighting over his dick.

Also feel sorry for the elf red shirt brigade that gets sent along on the quest.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

WarLocke posted:

I never actually read the books (because my gradeschool teacher confiscated the first one from me for reading in class and never gave it back, weird how memories like that stick with you),

I have a similar one...substitute teacher in like 7th or 8th grade had passed out some busy-work worksheets which I completed in like 15 minutes (it was a goddamn history wordsearch; what does that teach me??) and I pulled out a Star Wars book to read. She walks by, grabs it out of my hands and says to the class "Everyone needs to be working on their assignment, not reading...star wars" I've never heard so much disdain from a teacher.

WarLocke posted:

e: What's the deal the OP goes into how elves aren't mutations but have always been around? I was just assuming all the different races were descended from humans

I vaguely remember this being a plot point; like Elves used to be full-on magical immortals and whatnot, and over time became as we see them in the show.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm gonna gently caress this gnome, I'll gently caress this gnome

So hey, speaking of gnomes.

"You can't go into the outside world, Wil- there are gnomes out there!"

*enters upon a scene of terrible carnage*

"This must be the work of gnomes!"

How badass are gnomes in this setting, anyway? The impression I'm getting is that they are extremely badass... but I'm having trouble reconciling this with the fact that they're, y'know, gnomes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I suppose the other neat thing is how Allanon is sort of dick and he's probably withholding information from everyone else due to his save the world at all costs attitude.

At least Gandalf was straightforward on the whole Hail Mary quest to destroy the ring being a pretty bad experience.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

How badass are gnomes in this setting, anyway? The impression I'm getting is that they are extremely badass... but I'm having trouble reconciling this with the fact that they're, y'know, gnomes.

I was assuming Eretraya and the rover gang were gnomes. They're not elves or trolls, obviously, they're not living underground like dwarves... So process of elimination leaves gnomes.

I'm probably wrong though.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It seems kind of weird that nobody thinks magic is real, but the big war that the druid helped fight was only 30 years ago. Are the king and his sister really the only ones who remember Allanon doing magic stuff and fighting an evil magic guy? Shouldn't there be a ton of guys in their 50s that fought in the war who could say "Yeah, I remember this guy shooting fireballs out of his hands during a battle, magic is totally real"?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I was assuming Eretraya and the rover gang were gnomes. They're not elves or trolls, obviously, they're not living underground like dwarves... So process of elimination leaves gnomes.

No the rovers are basically Human bandits.

Honestly I'm really hoping the show does have bloodthirsty warrior gnomes.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

WarLocke posted:

I only read the first 2 books but Rovers are gypsy humans, gnomes are goblins from Lord of the Rings, trolls are trolls from Lord of the Rings, and elves are kinda like the elves from Lord of the Rings.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oh, okay. Weird, I somehow got the impression that Allanon being human was a big deal because they were all dead, he was just still around because he spent decades in a freezer.

Also I cannot stop feeling weird about that name. Every time I see it I'm reminded of AA meetings or something

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Allanon being a druid is a big deal. He's apparently the last one, except for now the Big Bad Druid who just escaped his magical prison due to the Ellcrys dying.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

hollylolly posted:

Allanon being a druid is a big deal. He's apparently the last one, except for now the Big Bad Druid who just escaped his magical prison due to the Ellcrys dying.

So Allanon is Obi-Wan, Will is Luke and Amberle is Leia?

I mean, I know it's all basic Hero's Journey stuff, but the parallels are really obvious...

Also, Amberle in that plum dress... :drat:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked how Allanon gave the job of making sure to destroy the demon shapeshifter corpse to a random redshirt.

Wouldn't you make extra sure that the monster that almost completely hosed up the plans to save was really dead?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

One thing I remember from the book was the magic tree specifically chose a girl for the first time because it knew it was dying and needed a girl to carry the seed around. It lowered branches to gently touch the ones it chose. The show changed it to make it all Hunger Games-ish and have the princess be a super kick rear end. I get why they did it but it felt way too pandering to try and get my teenage daughters to watch. (They love the show so far up to episode 4, so it is clearly working)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

etalian posted:

I liked how Allanon gave the job of making sure to destroy the demon shapeshifter corpse to a random redshirt.

Wouldn't you make extra sure that the monster that almost completely hosed up the plans to save was really dead?

I can see her not thinking it was a threat as Allanon killed it, he should know if it was dead or not. But he should have known enough to deal with the body himself, or at least grab an axe and behead it or something.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

He told the elves to take care of it - maybe he thought they'd be sensible and throw it immediately into an incinerator instead of carrying it out into the woods, building a pyre, and all that.

Of course the elves have shown themselves to be pretty pie in the sky incompetent when it comes to magic and the existence of demons - even (or especially) the king who let everyone believe that magic wasn't real even though he knew it was. Allanon should have supervised the burning of the body but there was a lot of other stuff going on at the same time.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

One thing I remember from the book was the magic tree specifically chose a girl for the first time because it knew it was dying and needed a girl to carry the seed around. It lowered branches to gently touch the ones it chose. The show changed it to make it all Hunger Games-ish and have the princess be a super kick rear end. I get why they did it but it felt way too pandering to try and get my teenage daughters to watch. (They love the show so far up to episode 4, so it is clearly working)
Well, if that's the case then I guess it adds a plot hole: why not just hold another competition for more "Chosen?" In the book it was a magical tree selection thing, but this was just an artificial elf-run ceremony.

I dunno, maybe they still have some magic rule like, "the first 7 elves who touch the trunk of the tree every so-and-so # of years are blessed as The Chosen."

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

They did mention about touching the tree to finish the ceremony, so I think that seals the magical part which takes them from chosen to Chosen, if that makes any sense.

It can be stretched that way, but maybe I need to pay more attention. It seemed like the Ellcrys still needed to "accept" them after the race.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WarLocke posted:

All races have descended from humans, except the Elves, who have been here since the time of the Faeries. Which is also when the demons were locked away. When the nuclear holocaust happened, they came out of hiding to exert more direct control due to the chaotic world.

Or something, I'm fuzzy on that last part. But the rest I'm sure about.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ShakeZula posted:

It seems kind of weird that nobody thinks magic is real, but the big war that the druid helped fight was only 30 years ago. Are the king and his sister really the only ones who remember Allanon doing magic stuff and fighting an evil magic guy? Shouldn't there be a ton of guys in their 50s that fought in the war who could say "Yeah, I remember this guy shooting fireballs out of his hands during a battle, magic is totally real"?

Everyone thinks magic is dead, which is a totally different thing. 30 years ago the last of the Merlins disappeared and nobody's even made a cool firework, let alone a fireball, since. Now, considering the history of the world where magic disappeared for millennia before the maniacs blew it up and magic came back in the ashes, they should probably not be so dismissive of magic. Especially for something like the Elcrys which is older than their dumb civilization and thus was totally stewing in magic for eons before it disappeared a few decades ago.

Crown Prince guy should totally shut the gently caress up about how fake all this magic poo poo is though. There's like some super clear holy poo poo it's magic stuff going down here. Your dad already told you he was wrong about magic being gone when his old war buddy showed up having not aged a year. He even hadoukend one of your guards on the way into the throne room.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I guess any sort of show with a royal family or world ending threat you have some high ranking character who doesn't believe it.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm glad that Wil stopped wearing that beanie because it made him look way too much like Jay:

Eventine: Who told this kid he could barge in here? Haul him off!
Amberle: Actually, he has every right to be here. Wil?
Wil: I AM THE CLIT COMMANDER!

jivjov posted:

I have a similar one...substitute teacher in like 7th or 8th grade had passed out some busy-work worksheets which I completed in like 15 minutes (it was a goddamn history wordsearch; what does that teach me??) and I pulled out a Star Wars book to read. She walks by, grabs it out of my hands and says to the class "Everyone needs to be working on their assignment, not reading...star wars" I've never heard so much disdain from a teacher.

drat. I got caught reading one of the Shannara books by hiding it behind whatever boring class book we were supposed to be reading in class in elementary school. Thought I was hosed, but the teacher just said "Read whatever you like, you don't have to hide it. I know you'll finish the class book on time anyway."

Bonus second lame story: When I was rereading the series in middle school, I lost my well-worn copy of The Sword of Shannara somewhere before or during second period. At lunch that same day I walked out into the quad and glance at a bush and there is a pristine new copy of The Sword of Shannara just poking out from the bush. MAGIC IS REAL, people!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

All races have descended from humans, except the Elves, who have been here since the time of the Faeries. Which is also when the demons were locked away. When the nuclear holocaust happened, they came out of hiding to exert more direct control due to the chaotic world.

Or something, I'm fuzzy on that last part. But the rest I'm sure about.

So the Ellcrys whatever tree was supposedly around for the entire modern era, like, right now, and nobody ever thought to wonder why it never shed leaves or tried to chainsaw it down?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

WarLocke posted:

So the Ellcrys whatever tree was supposedly around for the entire modern era, like, right now, and nobody ever thought to wonder why it never shed leaves or tried to chainsaw it down?

Well, it is a magic tree. The Elves probably used magic to hide it, same way an entire race of people with a bigass city never got noticed in the pacific northwest.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I keep seeing Will (Or whatever his name is) he's a less attractive Chord Overstreet. (Yes, from Glee.)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

It's super frustrating the way they're doing this. The writers could easily have written lines so it wasn't so confusing, but instead are like, "magic disappeared from the world during the war of the races, also we won the war of the races like a thousand years ago, also bro you've been sleeping for 30 years, also elves live for hundreds of hundreds of years, also this one lady aged like sixty years since Allanon went to sleep like thirty years ago."

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

its HIM posted:

Eventine: Who told this kid he could barge in here? Haul him off!
Amberle: Actually, he has every right to be here. Wil?
Wil: I AM THE CLIT COMMANDER!

drat. I got caught reading one of the Shannara books by hiding it behind whatever boring class book we were supposed to be reading in class in elementary school. Thought I was hosed, but the teacher just said "Read whatever you like, you don't have to hide it. I know you'll finish the class book on time anyway."

Bonus second lame story: When I was rereading the series in middle school, I lost my well-worn copy of The Sword of Shannara somewhere before or during second period. At lunch that same day I walked out into the quad and glance at a bush and there is a pristine new copy of The Sword of Shannara just poking out from the bush. MAGIC IS REAL, people!

Adding Jay and silent Bob to this makes it better by default.

That is an established fact. :D :p.

but had a few days to stew on it and I think I'm enjoying it, but it's not going to stay my tongue when it does silly things ( I blame mst3k for that).

I have a question about the works. Are we ever going to see anything other then Elves and Humans? I'm seriously curious on how they do gnomes after how they are essentially treated in text so far like a race of rabid wolverines. :D.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

shades of eternity posted:

I have a question about the works. Are we ever going to see anything other then Elves and Humans? I'm seriously curious on how they do gnomes after how they are essentially treated in text so far like a race of rabid wolverines. :D.

You don't mention it but we've seen trolls. The seemingly normal-size guys in the gas masks that appear to be all hosed up and mutated under the masks I guess (I was already zoning out when that scene came along). Given the shift to extreme emphasis on the apost-apocalyptic angle, I can sort of accept this. However, that does also leave me wondering what sort of post-apocalyptic angle they're going to give the gnomes. Toothy radiation-burned gollum analogues?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Just binged through the first few episodes, and... drat, this show is surprisingly good.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Just binged through the first few episodes, and... drat, this show is surprisingly good.

I was expecting Star-Crossed, instead I got something closer to The 100.

Still the awkward obvious love triangle, but maybe that's more a source thing than an MTV thing?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I was expecting Star-Crossed, instead I got something closer to The 100.

Still the awkward obvious love triangle, but maybe that's more a source thing than an MTV thing?

Actually, the love triangle doesn't feel awkward, at least so far. I think it's because it's just the natural result of characters being themselves, vs. the writers trying to shoehorn something in for the sake of drama (kinda like what happens in all CW shows). I mean, Wil is a total buffoon and is easily manipulated by Eretria into having sex, and she then cheerfully discloses that fact just to get at Amberle. It is believable, and the actors sell it really well.

That said, I'm hoping the show will go the unexpected route... maybe Amberle and Eretria will fall in love and Wil is gonna end up as the third wheel. :newlol:

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
after doing some thinking, Jay and Allanon remind me more of DBZabridged Gohan and Piccalo, because I can see Allanon yelling out "NERD!" every time Will messes up. :p

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I find it kind of distracting that two of the main characters have names that are real world things, yet don't seem to have any kind of thematic connection to them. Maybe Eritrea's dad is supposed to represent Haile Selassie and Alanon's mother was a violent drunk...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So we don't get Episode 5 til the 26th?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

So we don't get Episode 5 til the 26th?

That's the annoying part of watching episodes early. You forget that you watched them early, and that the rest will be on the normal schedule.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

That's the annoying part of watching episodes early. You forget that you watched them early, and that the rest will be on the normal schedule.

I was having this same discussion with an IRL friend about this show...doesn't matter how many people you hook with 4 early episodes when everyone buggers off to watch something else before the 5th airs.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

I was having this same discussion with an IRL friend about this show...doesn't matter how many people you hook with 4 early episodes when everyone buggers off to watch something else before the 5th airs.

Eh, it's only a few weeks, and if someone sets their DVR, they'll get it automatically. Shows take longer breaks, sometimes after airing just one episode, and are just fine.

Doesn't make it less annoying for me, who wants to watch episode 5, right now, of course.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, it's only a few weeks, and if someone sets their DVR, they'll get it automatically. Shows take longer breaks, sometimes after airing just one episode, and are just fine.

Doesn't make it less annoying for me, who wants to watch episode 5, right now, of course.

It just gives me unpleasant flashbacks to Agents of SHIELD and it's stupid broadcast schedule.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

It just gives me unpleasant flashbacks to Agents of SHIELD and it's stupid broadcast schedule.

Stupid broadcast schedules are entirely different than watching the episodes early and having to wait for a new one while the ones you already watched air weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hollylolly posted:

Stupid broadcast schedules are entirely different than watching the episodes early and having to wait for a new one while the ones you already watched air weekly.

Fair. I just think they might have been a bit too aggressive in just how many episodes to show early, that's all.

• Locked thread