Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

As someone who was familiar with Shannara in general but never read any of it, and given this is a show on MTV, I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Some of the acting isn't great, and for all I heard about the series ripping off LOTR it seems like the characters at least are from A New Hope, but I love the concept and the setting so far. Seeing all the old cities and everything reminds me of Life After People.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Oh, and another thing I just remembered. That bit where the soldiers are all standing in a circle with their torches and there are magical wolves or something, then Eritrea shows up and suddenly there are no wolves? What was going on there?

That wolf-repellent powder sure came in handy!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The village of the Kirk-worshipping steampunk hipster gun nuts was so ridiculous it was by far my favorite episode of this show. I really want more episodes to focus on ridiculous stuff like that rather than LOTR ripoff stoylines.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Not to mention Manu Bennett is half Maori, I think.

I think there have been a few Asians, maybe.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

kenny powerzzz posted:

I've really enjoyed the books. But I started reading them in the early 1990's and although the first few were kind of juvenile, so was I. I still read the series as new books come out and I still enjoy them. Of all the stuff in book barn I've always been surprised there isn't a Terry Brooks thread.

Essentially all the things Terry Brooks has written have been part of the Shannara series, right? The only major non-Shannara book I recall him writing was the novelization of The Phantom Menace, bizarrely.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

karrethuun posted:

I will say though that hipsters booing spock for being an elf was a high point however.

If this show gets a second season, I hope there's a lot episodes like that one and less stock high fantasy war stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really hope next season they go to a village where they watch Lord of the Rings.

• Locked thread