Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

surc posted:

I'm bottoming out. I can't deal with applying to a hundred jobs in a week and never hearing back any more, I don't want to go work retail because I've done it and it nearly made me kill people and wouldn't pay me enough to matter anyway (see next paragraph), I couldn't keep my business going solo and couldn't find anybody to become a partner in it, I have trouble with working for an rear end in a top hat boss, and I'm tired of doing amorphous design/editing poo poo for people's personal blog or website. I'd love a job where I'm treated like an actual human being, but the last time that happened was when I worked part-time on a radio show, at age 18.

I'm kind of stuck. I've lived in the Bay Area essentially my entire life, I'm 28 and stuck living at my parents because at this point the Bay is so expensive that I can't find a job that even makes me enough money to move out, let alone move to some other location in the country that's cheaper. I've tried working jobs that pay less, but I end up needing to spend money on coping mechanisms just to let me get through the lovely job, and then I end up with less left over than I'd get on unemployment.

I'm considering martime transport (I posted in the thread asking some questions about it), but I don't know if there's a better option for me. I'm kind of desperately grasping at whatever is in front of my face. Is there some skill I can learn where I don't have to jump through a thousand hoops to try and prove that I can do the job people need done, instead of just doing the job they need done? I've thought of learning quickbooks since people always need help with their books, but I don't know if that's the best way to go.

This post feels all e/nish to me, which I hate, but I'm at my wits ends trying to figure out what I can do where I'll actually get work, and be paid enough for it to matter. If anybody has suggestions, even if they're super harsh and about me being retarded in some way, I would appreciate them. :unsmith:

OP it sounds like you really do not hate your current job/work of being a copy editor for websites but the managers, company, or clients you work for. Also, I know dealing with clients/deadlines is a pain but I know their are companies out there where you don't have to do client facing poo poo. No matter what industry or job you work for, you'll have lovely managers or clients. For example I work in the similar industry as you, but I started out working in construction out of highschool. I hate it, not because of early hours or manual labor, because my co-workers were alcoholic assholes.

My thought on work is this. We all have to do something for 20 - 30 years and work somewhere. Why not find a place and skill that will make you money live happily on, and you don't hate going into everyday because you can tolerate (ideally enjoy) who you work with.

If you can't survive off of design/copy work in Bay area, its because you live in the Bay area. Move out of there and make the same in a more affordable city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread