Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I just meant it's not the kind of thing where you can pick a direction and walk and find a ton of quests and poo poo. That's what comes to mind first when I hear "open world" so I wanted to note the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also dragons dogma is fun

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The weakness of the Skyrim open world is that though, is what I'm saying. I'll take it as just a poor choice of words my man.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Open worlds only matter when they are dynamic like in x3 or m&b, both skyrim and Zelda's open wolrds could be replaced by simple menu of dungeons and open areas and it would be more or less the same anyway. I know it's a weird opinion but

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You can't replicate the requirement of ingenuity or intuition or w/e to test a flight leaf or a hookshot on something outside of what a dungeon conditioned you to do, in a menu, IMO. Zelda isn't like mindblowing about what you can discover off the beaten path all the time but there's usually a distinction with stuff you just see your supposed to do and stuff you see your supposed to do but it's a little hidden and then other stuff that's like well you could try this because you have a hunch about it and it worked! wonderful.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Agreed Zelda doesn't fit at all now that I think about it

program666
Aug 22, 2013

awesome, funcking finally

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

oh for a moment I thought the forums supported video embedding, I've never seen a givf working like that on the forums

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Dec 26, 2012

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

blatant first post threadshitting looking for emptyquotes, you really are beyond salvation now. RIP to you, killed by being mod, like every other dumbass who can't handle it.
:hellyeah:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

And, it goes without saying I would think, that Zelda style is the best, as far as open worlds go.

Agreed. I like where there's something like 4 to 6 towns and everything else is a lawless monster infested hellscape

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Finally making the long trek north to that fortress with all the goblins was amazing.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I remember getting hopelessly lost in Dragon's Dogma and being chased around by giant Chimeras and Dragons in the dark. Found some outpost and fell to my knees like the cover of Platoon. Awesome open world.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Finally making the long trek north to that fortress with all the goblins was amazing.

i feel like everyone takes a mission to go to the shadow fort earlygame at least once without realizing what that entails

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
has anyone said dragons dongma yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The forecasted high for this weekend is 1 degree. Looks like I'm going to be spending 3 days straight under a blanket playing 60fps Dragon's Dogma.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mad Wack posted:

has anyone said dragons dongma yet?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Try Dragon's Dogema next time bud.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Awesome

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Try Dragon's Dogema next time bud.

I've been calling it Dogan's Drachma, it's not that funny, but it's kinda fun to say.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

is there stuff in this similar to what was said earlier w/r/t zelda game design where like you would need a certain item, ability or class to access a certain area or something like thaT

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

is there stuff in this similar to what was said earlier w/r/t zelda game design where like you would need a certain item, ability or class to access a certain area or something like thaT

items like keys maybe, nothing aside from that. you can use the double jump classes to climb stuff easier I guess.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

No, The only item you really need is a lantern with fuel so you can see where the heck you're going at night.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i dicked with a leaked copy earlier and the only problem the pc version seems to have is that the camera goes really slow even when it's cranked up to max

i thought it was my steam controller's fault at first but it's that way on a 360 pad too

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

there's nothing stopping you from going somewhere out of your depth, aside from some horrible devilbeast from turning you into a bloody smear when you get there.

looking at you, fire drake.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tomorrow's the big day. How robust is the character creator

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's very robust and easy to use.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress yeah! Tempted to stay up late and at least make my guy, if it unlocks at 12AM EST.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Can you make your character and the pawns or just your character?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I mean, can you Custom Create.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Can you make your character and the pawns or just your character?
One character, one pawn. You can summon two more from other players.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I might make Undertaker and Paul Bearer then.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sweet

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

https://fat.gfycat.com/ConsiderateDistantAnteater.webm

program666
Aug 22, 2013

lmfao

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This looks really good. Also, lmao.

Adbot