Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Going paperless is still in fashion in parts of Asia. But for me, a guy born & raised in America, it was a leap of faith about a year ago when I installed a bidet under the toilet seat and no amount of Internet videos & articles could truly prepare me for that first blast. But here I am, almost a year later and I'd never go back. Benefits I've noticed include:

- Hemorrhoid Relief: Because my work keeps me mostly in a chair at a desk, I used to have some terrible pain down there. Really, really terrible. We're bloody stools that looked like a Nightmare on Elm Street special toilet edition. They took a few months to go away, but today I have no problems unless there is an extremely hard stool.

- Spicy Foods, bring it on! It used to be a real pain about 12 hours after I ate hot spicy foods. Now I wash away the heat from down beneath.

- Cleaned to Pristine: Toilet paper will always leave poop residue on your bunghole. Wipe all you like, it's still there. With water, I'm 100% clean every time.

- Great cool down after heavy exercise: On a hot summers day when you go out and run or lift or whatever, a great way to catch your breath and cool down is to sit on a cold bidet and let it take your breath away. Yeah, this one's a little weird but it truly is a great cool down.

- Diarrhea Be Dammed: On those rare occasions when I'm sick with the flu, hourly bowel movements used to really irritate the backside because of all the wiping. With my bidet I said goodbye to chapped anus.

- Go Deep: For the brave, you can actually center the stream and go for a minor colon flush.

- The Humor: The face my 5 year old son made the first time he decided to play with the lever while sitting on my toilet will forever be burned into my sense of humor. I never would have known just how BIG his eyes can get. Absolutely priceless.

- $Money$: Every dollar you're not spending on toilet tissue is a dollar you can spend towards sitting on a beach with the beverage of your choice.

- Never running out of the Important Papers. (self explanatory, you KNOW what I'm talking about)

- Environmentally Friendlier: Toilet paper actually is bad for the environment. The process to make it requires massive amounts of water and chemicals. I don't think anyone is clear cutting rain forests to make toilet tissue, but it does take trees and electric energy. After the fact, toilet tissue has to be broken down at the sewage plant and a portion of it ends up as a gray matter that ends up in landfills (take a tour of your local sewage plant to see what I mean).

I have found that it's healthier, cleaner and more environmental to give up toilet tissue. I've often wondered how much of an impact it would if everyone on Earth made the switch.

The Bad:
While there are portable 'squeeze water bottle' bidets available, I find them impractical to carry with me. So on the rare occasions I'm not 'making the morning deposit' at home and I have no choice but to paper wipe, it irritates because I'm not used to it.

How it works:
A device connects under your toilet seat with a small water sprayer that showers your 'down there'. A water supply line connects under the toilet's water tank using a T adapter. It's actually a pretty simple DIY project to install, but make darned sure you have all the plumbing supplies you need before you start if this is your only toilet. There are heated models available. My largest fear at the beginning was the cold water part. Heated models require wiring and are much more expensive. I decided to try the cold model first and see how it went. Glad I did, I'd never want to use heated water now. The first couple goes were a bit chilly, but it got easier every time.

http://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-110-Non-Electric/dp/B009ZLRSJ6/

So there it is, my tell all deepest darkest secret. Ask me any questions, or if you're in the Bidet Brotherhood (or sisterhood) share your own experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Do you still need something to dry your rear end in a top hat with after? Or do you just drip dry?

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
Oh look, another goon obsessed with their rear end in a top hat.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
Sigh. I'm actually more curious about this than I'd like to admit.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just chiming in, I've spent a lot of time in Japan and they have a lot of toilets like these. They're loving awesome. my butthole has never been so clean.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

If my toilet wasn't set up in a way that made this impossible I'd be all over it. The hose braid can't bend enough to fit a tee in and the threads on the connection are pretty messed up. Learned this when some one gave us one of those diaper washer things. If we ever redo the whole bathroom for dumb property value reasons I'm going to put in some kind of wonder shitter.

Sometimes sushi joints have weird high tech bidets, if anyone wants to test drive.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Moist wipes own if you can't install a bidet or don't care to

Fun thing to do: wipe with dry tp and when you would normally be done use a moist wipe after and be amazed/disgusted

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you still need something to dry your rear end in a top hat with after? Or do you just drip dry?

From what I've read, some people 'pat dry' with paper. Personally, I give it a good twerk and call it good. No problems with water residue. I wear cotton briefs. If you go commando or wear silk boxers the water may effect you differently. It's not much water really, no more than a small amount of sweat. I will suggest getting up slowly. As your cheeks come together water drips off. If you get up rapidly, you'll need to wipe drips off the seat.

stringball posted:

Moist wipes own if you can't install a bidet or don't care to

Fun thing to do: wipe with dry tp and when you would normally be done use a moist wipe after and be amazed/disgusted

Great point. Have done this and agree. If people only knew how much poop they were walking around with on their butts all day long.

gizmojumpjet posted:

I also pee in the shower, like every time.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

P-Mack posted:

If my toilet wasn't set up in a way that made this impossible I'd be all over it. The hose braid can't bend enough to fit a tee in and the threads on the connection are pretty messed up. Learned this when some one gave us one of those diaper washer things. If we ever redo the whole bathroom for dumb property value reasons I'm going to put in some kind of wonder shitter.

Sometimes sushi joints have weird high tech bidets, if anyone wants to test drive.

You could replace the hose with one more flexible. Any hardware store or even big box/home depot type store should have a large selection. You just screw on and tighten, hard to mess that up. Take a walk through the plumbing aisle next time your out, there are new bathroom plumbing gadgets coming out all the time to make projects like this easy.

example:
http://www.amazon.com/LASCO-10-1083-Braided-Stainless-Ballcock/dp/B00N2H2LUK

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Won't you spend more money on water than you will save on buying TP?

I think bidets are pretty great and way more sanitary than toilet paper, I'm not sure it's really a money saver.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Enfys posted:

I think bidets are pretty great and way more sanitary than toilet paper, I'm not sure it's really a money saver.

Water is really, really cheap unless you live in the middle of the desert or in some kind of biodome. Like a hundredth of a cent for a quick squirt to the ol bunghole.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gizmojumpjet posted:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Enfys posted:

I don't know where you live but in pretty much all of North America water is kept artificially cheap to the point at which the amount of water a bidet uses is almost immeasurable in terms of monetary value.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

Enfys posted:

While people's bathroom habits and paper usage vary widely, I've average usage statistics between 20,000 and 49,000 sheets per year per person. If a roll of 1000 sheets costs around $1 and it lasts a person a week, that's $52 per year in TP.

About half of Americans are on municipal water, the rest of us have wells (well water being generally much cheaper). Municipal water costs average $1.50 per 1,000 gallons in the USA. A single usage of a bidet uses less than half a quart of water. Even if a person really 'sat on the water' for a good long time they could maybe use a quart of water (that's 1/4th of a gallon). If a person uses an entire quart of water per day, that's 91 gallons per year, almost 15¢.

Toilet paper per year: $52
Bidet water per year: 15¢

That's a 99.7% savings by using a bidet.

Perhaps this could be used to reduce military spending.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Having toilet water spayed on you and being dripping wet seems gross.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Real Talk:
Bidets are the best. A friend of mine has a really fancy one with a billion buttons for every type of balloon knot. It even has a air puff to dry it all out gently.

Goddamn.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

Ausmund posted:

Having toilet water spayed on you and being dripping wet seems gross.

The water is from a clean supply line, not out of the bowl. It's the same water you cook, bathe and brush your teeth with.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
So you're telling me that a gentle squirt of water is enough to clean your bunghole to a sparkling finish? Maybe my digestive system hates me, but I think I'd need something like a pressure washer to clean my nethers without any form of mechanical aid. Or do you have a special BidetBrush that you get in there with?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Gromit posted:

So you're telling me that a gentle squirt of water is enough to clean your bunghole to a sparkling finish? Maybe my digestive system hates me, but I think I'd need something like a pressure washer to clean my nethers without any form of mechanical aid. Or do you have a special BidetBrush that you get in there with?

Yes. I have experience with bidets and they don't leave your rear end as clean as their fanboys say they do. Use a bidet, and then wipe your rear end with toilet paper: you will notice poo poo residue still.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I installed one and with the water pressure all the way up I don't have anything left after a few seconds of spraying. Jiggle your butt to get all corners and then pat dry, done. It's much better than TP.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

ashgromnies posted:

Yes. I have experience with bidets and they don't leave your rear end as clean as their fanboys say they do. Use a bidet, and then wipe your rear end with toilet paper: you will notice poo poo residue still.

It's fair to assume that not all bidets are made equal. Some of them have a side to side action, some have heated water or even a dryer. Mine is a single solid narrow stream with an adjustable flow. Cranked up all the way can even be slightly painful if it hits just right.

I was an honest skeptic from the beginning and did several 'wipe tests' after using the bidet. No residue found.

But if squeaky clean assurance is what you require, you could adapt to the methods of certain Muslim cultures and some parts of Nepal where they use a Left-Hand-Rub in addition to water. I'm open minded but I'd have a hard time going this extra step.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Are you bidet users... emotionally happier after the switch?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

maporfic posted:

From what I've read, some people 'pat dry' with paper. Personally, I give it a good twerk and call it good. No problems with water residue. I wear cotton briefs. If you go commando or wear silk boxers the water may effect you differently. It's not much water really, no more than a small amount of sweat. I will suggest getting up slowly. As your cheeks come together water drips off. If you get up rapidly, you'll need to wipe drips off the seat.

You must have a really hairless rear end because I have to use a good amount of TP to dry things up.

Gromit posted:

I have the same bidet as the OP and I the one time I went above 40% pressure I nearly leapt off the toilet. That thing can pack a punch.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Are you bidet users... emotionally happier after the switch?

YES

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I keep seeing "no tp" and "pat dry" do you have a butt towel?

Edit: my friend had a bidet. For awhile. But I never tried it. I did turn it on once though, and it hit the ceiling.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
These things are really awesome and I love mine, even though it's a cheap one I got off of Woot and installed myself. I still use TP to dry with, but I get much less irritated now and it gets you cleaner.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The General posted:

I keep seeing "no tp" and "pat dry" do you have a butt towel?

Edit: my friend had a bidet. For awhile. But I never tried it. I did turn it on once though, and it hit the ceiling.

I use tp to pat dry. I use a lot less doing that than wiping.

I keep tp there anyways since not every guest wants to use a bidet.

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.
My husband's bathroom has a bidet toilet seat (we live in South Korea) and while he likes it, I have no idea how to adjust the water temperature. Because of that, when I had to use it after an incident where I couldn't use my hand WITH TOILET PAPER - well, let's just say that icy cold water right in the rear end is a goddamn horrific moment every single time.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

maporfic posted:

While people's bathroom habits and paper usage vary widely, I've average usage statistics between 20,000 and 49,000 sheets per year per person.

I poo poo 2-3 times a day and 50-100 sheets seems ridiculous to me.

If you have explosive diarrhea couldn't you get poo poo in your water nozzle?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

rock rock posted:

Which will then have high pressure water shot out of it?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rock rock posted:

There's a guard in front of the nozzle that moves out of the way when you turn it on

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Most of them also have a cleaning setting, where it shoot water from behind the guard and cleans itself off.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

maporfic posted:

I also pee in the shower, like every time.

Every time you are in the shower or every time you have to pee?

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned

rock rock posted:

Is this normal?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

ZoneManagement posted:

Is this normal?

I do the same thing. Most people do a little less but 2-3 times isn't a sign of a problem.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

ZoneManagement posted:

Is this normal?

Prior to the bidet I was once a day. With bidet it's now 2-3.

It's just more fun to go now. Don't judge me.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

Lowen SoDium posted:

Every time you are in the shower or every time you have to pee?

Every shower has a little gold in it, but not all gold goes in the shower. Did you really want to know that?

hazyrazor
Apr 10, 2006
Could out fury the president
I got on the "no 'poo (shampoo)" wagon a couple years back and it was rough going for maybe, 2 months? Eventually your bodies self-cleaning mechanisms start doing their job again and my hair was looking better than ever. After realizing the human body was essentially self-cleaning I tried a "no-wipe" regimen and holy cow, this was rough. Constant itching and discomfort. Frequently found spots on my undergarments. I cannot describe the temptation to just duck into a restroom for a single wipe. It was at its absolute worst when I was jogging. I basically couldn't do anything that caused my back to sweat which totally upset my fitness routine and impacted my weight. I personally wouldn't recommend trying to quit toilet paper but I didn't have a bidet so maybe OP knows something I don't.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yea, OP doesn't walk around with poo poo literally on his rear end all day, you did.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
You know.. I still want a bidet, but:

maporfic posted:

With water, I'm 100% clean every time.

Unless you use soap, there's no 100% clean going on, here. I'm sure you know this, but it only recently dawned on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I posted this in a previous bidet thread but this is a really, really bad idea if you are a female. You can spray water on your rear end all you want but the shitwater runoff will likely run downwards and back into your vagina due to gravity, causing infections like yeast, UTIs or BV :cry:

• Locked thread