Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
see the whole cost thing isn't a factor because I poo poo at work, i find it offensive to do something for free when I can get paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

Cuckoo posted:

I posted this in a previous bidet thread but this is a really, really bad idea if you are a female. You can spray water on your rear end all you want but the shitwater runoff will likely run downwards and back into your vagina due to gravity, causing infections like yeast, UTIs or BV :cry:

So what are the clean girls doing differently?

How do we know that this study was not influenced by the rich toilet paper magnates of the world trying to protect their profits through deception?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Straddle the shitter backwards and lean back.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

see the whole cost thing isn't a factor because I poo poo at work, i find it offensive to do something for free when I can get paid for it.

poo poo in the sink and place a spoon just so. This is what I do and it works kind of okay.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A female-friendly alternative to the bidet seat is the "handheld bidet" which is like a spray gun that connects into the cold water supply of your toilet. You just aim front-to-back and by 'eck does the cold water wake you up in the morning!

Plus they cost <$50 and can be installed by anyone who knows a little DIY.

BarbarianElephant fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 21, 2016

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

maporfic posted:

While people's bathroom habits and paper usage vary widely, I've average usage statistics between 20,000 and 49,000 sheets per year per person. If a roll of 1000 sheets costs around $1 and it lasts a person a week, that's $52 per year in TP.

20–49k sheets per year is 55 to 134 sheets per day. There's just no way that the average person uses 100 sheets of TP per day, unless triple ply counts as 3x the sheet usage. I see that statistic quoted online too but it sounds like poo poo. Financially too, even at $50/yr, the 'savings' from using less TP will literally never recoup the cost those fancy Japanese bidets, e.g. I'm pretty sure you won't get 26 years of use out of http://www.amazon.com/SW554-01-Washlet-Elongated-Toilet-Cotton/dp/B0011YSEUC , or even 13 if you're a couple using the toilet.

But yeah bidets sound like the way to go for environmental/hygiene reasons. Too bad the only ones that exist in Europe are terrible 1950s ones that scared people away from ever using them in the future.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Cost savings isn't the main point.

The main point is less irritation and better hygiene.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Loco posted:

Unless you use soap, there's no 100% clean going on, here. I'm sure you know this, but it only recently dawned on me.

Buttholes are dirty. Don't touch yours and then touch your mouth. Wash your hands after touching your butthole, especially before you eat.

I mean, I know we're all goons, but these are things your parents should have taught you.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hazyrazor posted:

I got on the "no 'poo (shampoo)" wagon a couple years back and it was rough going for maybe, 2 months? Eventually your bodies self-cleaning mechanisms start doing their job again and my hair was looking better than ever. After realizing the human body was essentially self-cleaning I tried a "no-wipe" regimen and holy cow, this was rough. Constant itching and discomfort. Frequently found spots on my undergarments. I cannot describe the temptation to just duck into a restroom for a single wipe. It was at its absolute worst when I was jogging. I basically couldn't do anything that caused my back to sweat which totally upset my fitness routine and impacted my weight. I personally wouldn't recommend trying to quit toilet paper but I didn't have a bidet so maybe OP knows something I don't.

hahah

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

BarbarianElephant posted:

A female-friendly alternative to the bidet seat is the "handheld bidet" which is like a spray gun that connects into the cold water supply of your toilet. You just aim front-to-back and by 'eck does the cold water wake you up in the morning!

"Bum guns" as they are known by ex-pats in Saudi and Bahrain!

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Saladman posted:

But yeah bidets sound like the way to go for environmental/hygiene reasons. Too bad the only ones that exist in Europe are terrible 1950s ones that scared people away from ever using them in the future.

We have fine, warm, gentle bidets in Europe - and you can buy the equivalent in the US without a problem. Just plumbs in like a basin.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/products/category.aspx?d=1&pc=4&p=1&so=productDate&di=0&t=4&r=25
And I'm sure there are plenty more!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ohnonotme posted:

We have fine, warm, gentle bidets in Europe - and you can buy the equivalent in the US without a problem. Just plumbs in like a basin.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/products/category.aspx?d=1&pc=4&p=1&so=productDate&di=0&t=4&r=25
And I'm sure there are plenty more!

I live in Europe, and have been around the vast majority of Western Europe, and the only bidets I've ever seen are the French style ones that are completely separate from the toilet itself, take up a ton of room, and that I've never heard of anyone ever using. Most of the ones I've seen also only have the faucet on the front too (none on the bottom) which means I don't even understand if you can use it for your rear end, and that I guess are exclusively for women's use, e: like this one:

I've seen ones with the 'butthole cleaner' maybe a handful of times, tops.

Yeah they're definitely more hygienic but the economic argument doesn't make any sense if you have to pay for installing one yourself, unless you do some ultra janky DIY cold water plastic tube installation connected to your toilet (assuming you have a toilet with an accessible water supply, which is rare—at least in Europe). European toilets generally look like this:

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 22, 2016

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

hazyrazor posted:

I got on the "no 'poo (shampoo)" wagon a couple years back and it was rough going for maybe, 2 months? Eventually your bodies self-cleaning mechanisms start doing their job again and my hair was looking better than ever. After realizing the human body was essentially self-cleaning I tried a "no-wipe" regimen and holy cow, this was rough. Constant itching and discomfort. Frequently found spots on my undergarments. I cannot describe the temptation to just duck into a restroom for a single wipe. It was at its absolute worst when I was jogging. I basically couldn't do anything that caused my back to sweat which totally upset my fitness routine and impacted my weight. I personally wouldn't recommend trying to quit toilet paper but I didn't have a bidet so maybe OP knows something I don't.

Goldmine

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Saladman posted:

I live in Europe, and have been around the vast majority of Western Europe, and the only bidets I've ever seen are the French style ones that are completely separate from the toilet itself, take up a ton of room, and that I've never heard of anyone ever using. Most of the ones I've seen also only have the faucet on the front too (none on the bottom) which means I don't even understand if you can use it for your rear end, and that I guess are exclusively for women's use, e: like this one:

what are these for, does anyone know? when I went to Europe a lot (as a kid visiting my grandparents, so these were old people's houses) they were practically ubiquitous, but the most I ever used them for was washing my feet, which can be done nearly as easily in a bathtub. that's not really the kind of drain i'd want to be getting lots of poo poo down either. and having to scoot over to it whenever you've done your business sounds needlessly complicated too.

e: I mean I get what it says on the first line of the wikipedia page, but that poo poo can be done just fine in a shower too. why take up all that space with one of these things?

Koramei fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 23, 2016

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

hazyrazor posted:

sounds more like you got on the poo wagon my friend

hectik
Dec 20, 2009

Loco posted:

You know.. I still want a bidet, but:

Unless you use soap, there's no 100% clean going on, here. I'm sure you know this, but it only recently dawned on me.

I've always hoped that bidet people used soap when cleaning up, because while water gets you cleaner than paper, there's still poop there. You never hear them mention it, though. I mean, if you're wetting your butt, why not take the extra step?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
When I lived in Italy my bathroom had one of those big separate bidets, it also had a little bottle of buttsoap sitting next to it. I never used it because it was on the opposite side of the bathroom from the toilet and I wasn't going waddle my way over there every time. It was pretty handy for washing feet though.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Saladman posted:

I've seen ones with the 'butthole cleaner' maybe a handful of times, tops.

Yeah they're definitely more hygienic but the economic argument doesn't make any sense if you have to pay for installing one yourself, unless you do some ultra janky DIY cold water plastic tube installation connected to your toilet (assuming you have a toilet with an accessible water supply, which is rare—at least in Europe). European toilets generally look like this:

That looks like a public toilet - in the UK at least, virtually all toilets are free-standing and not wall hung. Which gives easy access to the plumbing. And having travelled pretty extensively around Europe on my "Year out" between school and university, I'd say bidets are very common in a lot of countries. Proper bidets, not just an "arse washing sink" like the one you posted.
But again, it depends totally on a country's culture - they used to be in most domestic bathrooms in the UK, but have fallen out of fashion since the early 1980s.
The last two houses I have bought were 80's built "fixer-uppers", and both had a bidet that would shoot about 4ft in the air - and also had a tap at the front if you just want a manual arse-bath. Or minge bath.
One had an outhouse as well, from years back - that got knocked down and tarmacked over after the first, entertaining summer there, where it was a blessing to have an outside bog to piss in when I had people round for a barbecue.
One day, I am sure it will turn into a horrific, rotting poo poo-filled sinkhole.
But I sold that house on, so the number of fucks I could give could be counted on the fingers of one foot!

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015

hectik posted:

I've always hoped that bidet people used soap when cleaning up, because while water gets you cleaner than paper, there's still poop there. You never hear them mention it, though. I mean, if you're wetting your butt, why not take the extra step?

Sounds like a guy who only washes his hands with a dry napkin is telling us how to be clean?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
I never understood how white people only use toilet paper. Like...won't there still be some poo poo kinda stuck up there? Since it's dry, won't it chafe? How do you properly wash it after a poo poo? Do you just wait until you shower? Isn't it uncomfortable to be walking around with lil' dingleberries and poo poo smells all day?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dk2m posted:

I never understood how white people only use toilet paper. Like...won't there still be some poo poo kinda stuck up there? Since it's dry, won't it chafe? How do you properly wash it after a poo poo? Do you just wait until you shower? Isn't it uncomfortable to be walking around with lil' dingleberries and poo poo smells all day?

TP works fine, though I agree with the OP that the bidet is superior and I wish I had one

Either option is better than wiping your rear end with a wet rag from a bucket, which is what a lot of the third world does :(

e: I've thought about installing a hand-sprayer to my toilet. I definitely know how to. I hear from women that it's really nice for washing the ol' front-side, too.
I actually bought all the parts but never got around to it because I'm moving soon. I'm also not sure how to hang up / store the sprayer when it's not in use. Should I build a little holster for the side of the toilet?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 3, 2016

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

alnilam posted:

I actually bought all the parts but never got around to it because I'm moving soon. I'm also not sure how to hang up / store the sprayer when it's not in use. Should I build a little holster for the side of the toilet?

Mine came with a little holster for the toilet.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

dk2m posted:

I never understood how white people only use toilet paper.

So do you consider vast parts of Europe where bidets are common to not be "white people", or...?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

dk2m posted:

If you have dingleberries and it smells like poo poo when you walk around, you didn't wipe.

I get that some people like bidets more, but it seriously isn't the huge issue some people seem to think it is.

edit: this is assuming you can reach your rear end to wipe right and can actually get your cheeks open. If you're some giant hambeast goon who is making GBS threads fat man pancakes and has trouble reaching then all bets are off.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So how clean would a bidet get a lady during a heavy flow period? I'm talking the heaviest flow day, not the "first day rush" flow.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Roro posted:

So how clean would a bidet get a lady during a heavy flow period? I'm talking the heaviest flow day, not the "first day rush" flow.

Who cares, it's just going to go back to a blood mess in an hour on those days. Use a menstrual cup.

Also

Cuckoo posted:

I posted this in a previous bidet thread but this is a really, really bad idea if you are a female. You can spray water on your rear end all you want but the shitwater runoff will likely run downwards and back into your vagina due to gravity, causing infections like yeast, UTIs or BV :cry:

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Roro posted:

Almost the same as showering, but a lot more convenient.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Sprayer-Shower-Hygiene-Complete/dp/B00BKXBH3K

They're like $20 and easy to install. There's no reason to carry on smearing your poo poo across your rear end in a top hat with paper. When you clean your body do you rub yourself down with a towel and call it done? Why would you do the same with your lovely bumhole?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cuckoo posted:

i can see how that is an issue but i would think that with minimal positioning effort you would avoid that

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stringball posted:

Moist wipes own if you can't install a bidet or don't care to

Moist wipes are generally not meant to be flushed. There were some stories a while back about how they were clogging other waste into giant poop iceburgs and utterly destroying our sewer and sanitation systems.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Bardeh posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Sprayer-Shower-Hygiene-Complete/dp/B00BKXBH3K

They're like $20 and easy to install. There's no reason to carry on smearing your poo poo across your rear end in a top hat with paper. When you clean your body do you rub yourself down with a towel and call it done? Why would you do the same with your lovely bumhole?

I also don't just stand under the shower and not do anything but let the water run over me. This is the part about bidets I just don't get - water alone just can't do the job. Are people getting in there with their hands but are too embarrassed to talk about it?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Usually Japanese toilets have toilet paper too because the bidet doesn't really get it all, on its own. Sorry if someone already made this point somewhere in the last two pages.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Gromit posted:

I also don't just stand under the shower and not do anything but let the water run over me. This is the part about bidets I just don't get - water alone just can't do the job. Are people getting in there with their hands but are too embarrassed to talk about it?

The one I have is more like a pressure washer. It doesn't always get everything off, but it usually gets at least 95%. Usually only have to use 2 wipes with toilet paper and all clean.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Roro posted:

The Japanese ones usually have a button to adjust the spray to wash lady bits. Apparently it's strong enough that some women use it just for its stimulating effect.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Gromit posted:

This is the part about bidets I just don't get - water alone just can't do the job. Are people getting in there with their hands but are too embarrassed to talk about it?

No, the material is washed away with a strong enough jet of water.

There's no presumption of sterilizing the area here. People still shower and bathe regularly between shits.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Gromit posted:

High pressure stream, man. If you've never used one you'll be amazed how effective they are. Seriously, infinitely better than you imagine.

I also use the Luxe 110 and it truly changed my life. If you've never tried one it's worth risking the $20. Better for you, better for the environment, easier on the pocket book, and gives you the chance to gently caress with your friends that don't have one (yeah, it's easy to use, just crank it up to full power and wait...).

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

BarbarianElephant posted:

These are the norm in Finland as well, but I've never seen one that connected to the toilets tank rather than to the sink so that you can control temperature as well as pressure.

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014
As another woman (or feeemale):

I've used water to wash my rear end ever since I can remember.

IF this really is something you want to do, lift your knees up a bit and pour some water down.

Keeping a butt clean feels good

bubblebee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 19, 2016

Ravos
Jul 28, 2012

Wealth beyond measure, outlander.
I like the idea, but I mostly go at work. I can't exactly install the mechanism on the office toilet. Has anyone had any luck petitioning the office manager for a bidet?

"What do we want?"

"Clean assholes!"

I don't want to carry wipes around with me everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I lived in Asia for a few years and became a convert. First thing I did when I got back to the states was buy that $25 Amazon Astor. I had a really fancy Japanese one back when but a solid cold stream is all one really needs.

I'm never going back. I'm a bidet man til the day I die. Paper only feels barbaric now.

• Locked thread