Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

BarbarianElephant posted:

A female-friendly alternative to the bidet seat is the "handheld bidet" which is like a spray gun that connects into the cold water supply of your toilet. You just aim front-to-back and by 'eck does the cold water wake you up in the morning!

Plus they cost <$50 and can be installed by anyone who knows a little DIY.

"Bum guns" as they are known by ex-pats in Saudi and Bahrain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Saladman posted:

But yeah bidets sound like the way to go for environmental/hygiene reasons. Too bad the only ones that exist in Europe are terrible 1950s ones that scared people away from ever using them in the future.

We have fine, warm, gentle bidets in Europe - and you can buy the equivalent in the US without a problem. Just plumbs in like a basin.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/products/category.aspx?d=1&pc=4&p=1&so=productDate&di=0&t=4&r=25
And I'm sure there are plenty more!

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Saladman posted:

I live in Europe, and have been around the vast majority of Western Europe, and the only bidets I've ever seen are the French style ones that are completely separate from the toilet itself, take up a ton of room, and that I've never heard of anyone ever using. Most of the ones I've seen also only have the faucet on the front too (none on the bottom) which means I don't even understand if you can use it for your rear end, and that I guess are exclusively for women's use, e: like this one:

I've seen ones with the 'butthole cleaner' maybe a handful of times, tops.

Yeah they're definitely more hygienic but the economic argument doesn't make any sense if you have to pay for installing one yourself, unless you do some ultra janky DIY cold water plastic tube installation connected to your toilet (assuming you have a toilet with an accessible water supply, which is rare—at least in Europe). European toilets generally look like this:

That looks like a public toilet - in the UK at least, virtually all toilets are free-standing and not wall hung. Which gives easy access to the plumbing. And having travelled pretty extensively around Europe on my "Year out" between school and university, I'd say bidets are very common in a lot of countries. Proper bidets, not just an "arse washing sink" like the one you posted.
But again, it depends totally on a country's culture - they used to be in most domestic bathrooms in the UK, but have fallen out of fashion since the early 1980s.
The last two houses I have bought were 80's built "fixer-uppers", and both had a bidet that would shoot about 4ft in the air - and also had a tap at the front if you just want a manual arse-bath. Or minge bath.
One had an outhouse as well, from years back - that got knocked down and tarmacked over after the first, entertaining summer there, where it was a blessing to have an outside bog to piss in when I had people round for a barbecue.
One day, I am sure it will turn into a horrific, rotting poo poo-filled sinkhole.
But I sold that house on, so the number of fucks I could give could be counted on the fingers of one foot!

• Locked thread